PDA

View Full Version : Football players and Band

Ville-D
07-31-2012, 02:40 PM
My wife went to a small 1a school and when we go back to see a game there I always find it odd that during the halftime show several of the football players drop their shoulder-pads and helmet in the locker room then come out and march with the band in the half time show.

I grew up in a 2a town we never did this and I never saw an opponent do it either.

I always give her a hard time, but is this common in smaller towns?

Has anybody else ever seen this?

bigwood33
07-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Almost every week.

Cam
07-31-2012, 02:56 PM
My wife went to a small 1a school and when we go back to see a game there I always find it odd that during the halftime show several of the football players drop their shoulder-pads and helmet in the locker room then come out and march with the band in the half time show.

I grew up in a 2a town we never did this and I never saw an opponent do it either.

I always give her a hard time, but is this common in smaller towns?

Has anybody else ever seen this?

My boy was on the drumline and insisted he was going to march on friday nights...but he had second thoughts and decided to hang up the drums his freshman year and just bang on humans instead!........but I've seen several players marchin' the past few seasons.....

Gsquared
07-31-2012, 03:02 PM
The band director in Refugio wears cowboy boots. Dont know what that has to do with the price of tea in China but just kinda find it amusing.

Tejastrue
07-31-2012, 03:12 PM
We have one young man here who has done that for the last two years. Plays the sax and is a pretty darn good ball player. He'll be a senior and will be a major contributor on both sides of the ball. I've seen a few other schools that have students participating in both, at least in our region. Our coaching staff is very supportive of the band.

GrTigers6
07-31-2012, 03:22 PM
I went to school in Santa Anna and there were 5 of us that were in band however it was not required that we marched during games. Of course we were a large 1A then and had about 120 members. Now they only have 20 or so so its probably alot different now.

Rabid Cougar
07-31-2012, 03:33 PM
It's very common. I think it is about 50/50 as if the FB players march or not.

toddg
07-31-2012, 04:38 PM
my oldest is a freshman this year..and is doing both..not such a big deal this year but when he gets on varsity..he will stay in band.. just not march..i know there were some major players on varsity last year that were in band.

its just players in Stephenville that cant handle both:evilgrin:

toddg
07-31-2012, 04:40 PM
It's very common. I think it is about 50/50 as if the FB players march or not.

it doesnt hurt that China Spring traditionaly has one of the best bands in state year after year..

BILLYFRED0000
07-31-2012, 04:59 PM
It has been common for years. I was in band in the 70s, class b school. We had about 100 kids and 70 in band and 30 on the field. We always had some ball players (and cheerleaders) marching.

ccmom
07-31-2012, 05:06 PM
I've seen it numerous times, from 1a to 5a.

Ville-D
07-31-2012, 05:16 PM
my oldest is a freshman this year..and is doing both..not such a big deal this year but when he gets on varsity..he will stay in band.. just not march..i know there were some major players on varsity last year that were in band.

its just players in Stephenville that cant handle both:evilgrin:

Nice.

toddg
07-31-2012, 05:47 PM
The band director in Refugio wears cowboy boots. Dont know what that has to do with the price of tea in China but just kinda find it amusing.

i know that if he doesnt wear the boots, the price of tea in china goes way up! so yes it has alot to do with it!

Eagle 1
07-31-2012, 06:04 PM
I have seen this several times by other towns, but we don't do this in Goldthwaite.
It's either football or band.

Rabid Cougar
07-31-2012, 08:19 PM
it doesnt hurt that China Spring traditionaly has one of the best bands in state year after year..
Our FB players do not march.

Emerson1
07-31-2012, 08:31 PM
I've seen this at multiple 5A games.

Gone Fishing
07-31-2012, 09:33 PM
We have one young man here who has done that for the last two years. Plays the sax and is a pretty darn good ball player. He'll be a senior and will be a major contributor on both sides of the ball. I've seen a few other schools that have students participating in both, at least in our region. Our coaching staff is very supportive of the band.

He will be a big contributor this year and is going to really surprise some people at running back/rec. He is also the fastest player on the team. He did it through regular season, but not in playoffs. He almost quit playing football after his freshman year to go band only, but thankfully the coaches convinced him he could do both. He had to do some two a day band practice also and had to miss some football time. I also heard he might only go Football this year. I hope so, I was never a band guy and never liked the idea of players not in the dressing room with team and coaches. jmo.

Tejastrue
07-31-2012, 10:09 PM
He will be a big contributor this year and is going to really surprise some people at running back/rec. He is also the fastest player on the team. He did it through regular season, but not in playoffs. He almost quit playing football after his freshman year to go band only, but thankfully the coaches convinced him he could do both. He had to do some two a day band practice also and had to miss some football time. I also heard he might only go Football this year. I hope so, I was never a band guy and never liked the idea of players not in the dressing room with team and coaches. jmo.

I know he participated in the halftime performance at our SC game. Exactly what I meant when mentioning the coaching staff being very supportive. The band is a huge part of the Friday night atmosphere. If the guys can handle it for both, I say more power to them. If he does decide to go football only then it's a loss for the band. What can I say, I'm an old ex hs football player who dated a band girl flute player and I'm now a former hs band parent. What can I say. Lol.

toddg
07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
I know he participated in the halftime performance at our SC game. Exactly what I meant when mentioning the coaching staff being very supportive. The band is a huge part of the Friday night atmosphere. If the guys can handle it for both, I say more power to them. If he does decide to go football only then it's a loss for the band. What can I say, I'm an old ex hs football player who dated a band girl flute player and I'm now a former hs band parent. What can I say. Lol.

my oldest is commited to both, my middle son is too and my youngest...who knows..he's crazy!!

Ville-D
07-31-2012, 10:28 PM
...my youngest...who knows..he's crazy!!

Like his daddy.

Tejastrue
07-31-2012, 10:32 PM
my oldest is commited to both, my middle son is too and my youngest...who knows..he's crazy!!

That's outstanding. It takes a heck of a lot of discipline and commitment to do both and also keep the grades up with the core classes. Best of luck to both and oh yeah.. the crazy one too.

Gone Fishing
07-31-2012, 10:41 PM

Yeah I love our band, they help make fridays a special day during football season. They are the main show at pep rallys too, everyone can't wait till they do their thing.

toddg
07-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Like his daddy.

yep! he thinks Big A wins district this year too!:D

toddg
07-31-2012, 10:48 PM
That's outstanding. It takes a heck of a lot of discipline and commitment to do both and also keep the grades up with the core classes. Best of luck to both and oh yeah.. the crazy one too.

yeah..they both have really good attitudes and not afraid of some hard work...the crazy one is gonna be big and gonna be trouble..we'll see if he grows out of it LOL!:)

regaleagle
07-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Yep, it's a kinda normal thing in Argyle for a couple of the players to march at halftime with the band. Heck, Argyle's band wins State or is a runner-up almost every year since we have been a school. And I know they only do the qualifying every other year. I think they have won 4 State Championships in 5 attempts. So if you are in the band at Argyle, your chances of the band winning a state title are pretty darn good!

toddg
07-31-2012, 11:20 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TkWvnnSiUbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ever wonder what the entire enrollment of a large 3a school looks like on a football field? ck out the Allen'S Band.

Ville-D
07-31-2012, 11:25 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TkWvnnSiUbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ever wonder what the entire enrollment of a large 3a school looks like on a football field? ck out the Allen'S Band.

Did you just have a stroke? Or did I?

Old Dog
08-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Just a few years back (8 or so) Dripping Springs had an starting DB that was their bands Drum Major. Burnet has had football players in the band at half time since they were 3A......several in fact.