PDA

View Full Version : Assault weapons

What do you have? and would you be willing to give it up if they were to be banned?

RRA LAR-15 Elite Operator 2
.223/5.56 cal.

BEAST
07-27-2012, 03:26 PM
I have a multitude. And no, they'll have hell taking mine.

BEAST

I agree there is no way I would give up mine. I think many on here feel the same way.

Phil C
07-27-2012, 03:40 PM
If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. Besides is a guarantee by the Constitution in the Bill of Rights.

Emerson1
07-27-2012, 03:53 PM
So what is the latest reason rednecks think their guns are going to be taken away?

Lion70
07-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Ak 47 pistal grip and they would have to take from my dead hands.

Phil C
07-27-2012, 04:22 PM
If you had been at that movie theatre with it you might have been able to save some lives.

Cam
07-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Yeah...we have quite a few rifles, one M1 Abrams tank, and a few RPG's.....but we'd never hurt no one....bad people will find a way to hurt people no matter what the laws.
It is a small world. I was just with Jessica Ghawi's stepmom on Tuesday (she raised Jessica since she was 6). As you know, Jessica was one of the Colorado victims. Jessica's stepmom was my older sister's best friend in high school....She is an incredible lady who never fails to visit my mentally ill sister in San Antonio. She took the time to be there for my sister and I during my sister's doctor visit....As you can imagine, she is devastated about Jessica's death.....yet she still found the time to come be with us....Jessica's funeral is Saturday.

Tejastrue
07-27-2012, 05:03 PM
I will never understand the reason to own a true assault rifle. Maybe some of you can enlighten me.

Being they are one pull of the trigger one shot fired there really isnt much difference. My ruger 10-22 will shoot as fast and hold as many rounds as my AR-15. Browning makes a hunting (deer) rifle BAR that is semi auto etc... They can be used in many ways from home protection to hunting/survival/target shooting. Plus they are a blast to shoot and have minimal felt recoil. Something about the black rifle that is appealing to many and I enjoy being able to use the Eotech/Aimpoint optics that are used by military and police department nationwide. As far as the redneck comment goes thats your problem.

On a more serious note God bless that little girl and the lady you mentioned.

BwdLion73
07-27-2012, 05:53 PM
So what is the latest reason rednecks think their guns are going to be taken away?

UFO's in beeville.....quit trying to start trouble.

Emerson1
07-27-2012, 06:04 PM
I will never understand the reason to own a true assault rifle. Maybe some of you can enlighten me.

Because they are fun to shoot.

regaleagle
07-27-2012, 06:26 PM
If you combine all the weaponry in private hands in Texas, I don't think any invading force would have an easy time here, lol. As far as the criminal element is concerned, the best thing the cops can hope for is to keep the laws the way they are. Otherwise, their fight against crime will double or quadruple. Armed law-abiding citizens protecting their porperty is a big deterrant to the criminally armed sector of society.

Tejastrue
07-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for home defense and self preservation but there is a reason they call them 'assault' weapons.

OldBison75
07-27-2012, 08:29 PM
A weapon has never assaulted anyone. It has to be pointed and shot by a person. I do not own an assault rifle, but i do have a semi automatic pistol that I know how to use. My point is that thousands of otherwise law abiding citizens will become criminals overnight if a ban is passed. Then, millions will be victims of crime because the bad guys know that to invade your home or hijack your car, the only threat they face are your hands. I will say that I think there is nothing wrong with the law abiding citizens having just as much firepower as the drug cartels and criminal gangs that terrorize our society everyday.

Emerson1
07-27-2012, 08:40 PM
If you combine all the weaponry in private hands in Texas, I don't think any invading force would have an easy time here, lol. As far as the criminal element is concerned, the best thing the cops can hope for is to keep the laws the way they are. Otherwise, their fight against crime will double or quadruple. Armed law-abiding citizens protecting their porperty is a big deterrant to the criminally armed sector of society.
It's a good thing that most of what the NRA puts out is over exaggerated propaganda and that is never going to happen.

Gone Fishing
07-27-2012, 09:00 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for home defense and self preservation but there is a reason they call them 'assault' weapons.

I don't own a gun, but I do have some real nice fishing equipment.....

garciap77
07-27-2012, 09:24 PM
LOL :spitlol:

Tejastrue
07-27-2012, 09:25 PM
I don't own a gun, but I do have some real nice fishing equipment.....

Hey, some of those hooks on the back swing can be treacherous!

garciap77
07-27-2012, 09:52 PM
What do you have? and would you be willing to give it up if they were to be banned?

RRA LAR-15 Elite Operator 2
.223/5.56 cal.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/ts444.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/ts.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/no.gif

BwdLion73
07-27-2012, 11:17 PM

Yes but look who is "they"

Tejastrue
07-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Yes but look who is "they"

I asked people to enlighten me..please, by all means...

Tx Challenge
07-28-2012, 12:53 AM
I have a couple of Sig Sauer P229 40cal. Wife and I used them for target practice and to get our CHL license in TX. Moved to Ca. Learned my guns are legal, but the clips are not. Had to buy 10 clip instead. Shotguns and rifles are legal. Go figure. I grab the shotguns first if someone breaks in, although the laser on the Sigs is scary.

Old Green
07-28-2012, 06:00 AM
I have several assault rifles and pistol in different calibers. They are fun to shoot at the gun club when we have competitions. I even like to hunt hogs with my Ar's.

BoneyFinger
07-28-2012, 07:04 AM
This right is not for hunting or even defense against crime; it is to protect against an oppressive government.

As long as there is government, it can oppress the people, and having assault weapons keeps the people on par with the government.

Lion70
07-28-2012, 07:40 AM

I think there fun and if acknine comes screaming Alaah at my house I will be more prepared than you just saying... Have fun with your 22 lol.

Blastoderm55
07-28-2012, 11:10 AM
This right is not for hunting or even defense against crime; it is to protect against an oppressive government.

As long as there is government, it can oppress the people, and having assault weapons keeps the people on par with the government.

All the assault weapons in world will have a difficult time fighting against missiles and other advanced weaponry. If Big Brother decides to take over, a few AK47s will not stand in the way. Guns are just like any other toy, be it vehicles, video games, or collectibles: they're fun to collect, fun to use, and fun to show off.

Emerson1
07-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Tank > ak47

Tejastrue
07-28-2012, 12:50 PM
I think there fun and if acknine comes screaming Alaah at my house I will be more prepared than you just saying... Have fun with your 22 lol.

22..lol.

BwdLion73
07-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Tejastrue ... my question was not meant to sound as pushy as it does. I have heard people give so many answers to what an assault weapon is it just seems to be a political football. (sports related)

As far as the 22 comment on here I have a 22cal. that is a replical of an AK-47 with a thirty round clip. My son and I have a blast with it at the farm, but when you see me get out with a black rifle with a big clip and a shoulder sling and folding stock it might give you a different idea. Is it an assault weapon? I guess it would be if I assaulted someone.

buckeyebob
07-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Being they are one pull of the trigger one shot fired there really isnt much difference. My ruger 10-22 will shoot as fast and hold as many rounds as my AR-15. Browning makes a hunting (deer) rifle BAR that is semi auto etc... They can be used in many ways from home protection to hunting/survival/target shooting. Plus they are a blast to shoot and have minimal felt recoil. Something about the black rifle that is appealing to many and I enjoy being able to use the Eotech/Aimpoint optics that are used by military and police department nationwide. As far as the redneck comment goes thats your problem.

On a more serious note God bless that little girl and the lady you mentioned.

I have a 30-06 BAR Belgian made that falls under the description of an assault rifle...far from it...a beautiful piece of work that I will cherish and will not let some clown have it.

BoneyFinger
07-28-2012, 08:27 PM
All the assault weapons in world will have a difficult time fighting against missiles and other advanced weaponry. If Big Brother decides to take over, a few AK47s will not stand in the way. Guns are just like any other toy, be it vehicles, video games, or collectibles: they're fun to collect, fun to use, and fun to show off.

Tell that to the United States Military in Afghanistan.

Blastoderm55
07-28-2012, 08:49 PM

I thought IEDs and RPGs were the bigger problem, but okay. All the hours logged on Halo and Call of Duty will provide the requisite training for the paranoid; I'm sure its no different from being taught by Al-Queda or Hamas.

Rabid Cougar
07-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Tp answer your question

The term "assault rifle" originated in Germany in WWII. It it is an automatic rifle that shoots ammunition that is not as powerful as rifle ammunition. It was used by soldiers that were in close quarters combat in the built up areas and in assault of the enemy defenses. It made up for lack of firepower with the the amount of heavy rifle caliber rounds it could put out very quickly. The are not very accurate over 400 yards. The AK-47 is a true assault rifle and is a cheap copy of the original German MP-44 assault rifle. It fires a 7.62mm round with about half the casing/powder as a NATO 7.62/.308 Rifle round. The AR-15/M-16/M-4 Shoot 5.56mm /.223 Ammunition. It is a Combat Rifle, the same as the M-14, M-1, 03 Springfield, 45-70 Springfield, and every other military rifle proceeding them.

The term "assault rifle" has been bastardized by ignorant media and the anti-community to mean any rifle that is used by the military or rifle patterned to look like one.

The Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) is NOT an Assault Rifle. It is a magazine fed light machine gun.

He could have killed just as many people with machete or a bow and arrow. He killed and wounded so many because out of a theater full of people (300+) not one person tried to stop him.

Rabid Cougar
07-28-2012, 09:26 PM

IEDs are by far the deadliest weapon system the enemy uses in Afghanistan. The enemy rarely lives through a stand up fight against Marines and Soldiers.

Tejastrue
07-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Tejastrue ... my question was not meant to sound as pushy as it does. I have heard people give so many answers to what an assault weapon is it just seems to be a political football. (sports related)

As far as the 22 comment on here I have a 22cal. that is a replical of an AK-47 with a thirty round clip. My son and I have a blast with it at the farm, but when you see me get out with a black rifle with a big clip and a shoulder sling and folding stock it might give you a different idea. Is it an assault weapon? I guess it would be if I assaulted someone.

Understood. I have my personal opinions about the high powered arsenal that is readily available today to Joe T Public and it would not be kosher here. The market is saturated with them. I'm aware of what was originally considered a true assault rifle. Expansion of anti-gun activists basically re-defined it to the category of assault weaponry and went from there. I don't consider myself a knowledgeable person in this matter but my brother is a licensed firearm dealer so I have some substance behind my opinion. I also have some first hand experience at the negative impact of assault rifles. I also did not mean for this to be a diss at anyone here. To each his own.

Sville
07-28-2012, 11:59 PM
I have a Bushmaster AR 15 all tricked out. The main reason I got it to begin with is I wanted to add tactical paramedic to my resume at one point in my career. Now that I have went the fire marshal route I keep it for one reason, in case of the collapse of govt for any amount of time for any reason. One only needs to look at New Orleans and southern LA after Katrina to see that it is possible. If you would of seen some of things there and when I was in Kosovo you would understand why.

One only has to look at Switzerland where every competent male citizen is issued an assault rifle. They are also required to be trained in how to use it as being part of a national militia instead of a standing army. It was the only reason Hitler did not invade Switzerland in WW2. The Swiss have markedly low gun crime rates of about 1 gun related death per 250,000.

As for home defense the first firearm I am going to grab would be my Mossberg 500 Tactical Shotgun the 2nd would be my carry pistol Glock 23.

yellaseeker
07-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Any fireams or any other weapon for that matter can be accused of being an assault weapon if it is used in an assault. Hell, a 22 derringer can be an assault weapon. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, period. Our founding fathers knew what we could face years later when they established the Constitution. I'm pretty confident that the government is pushing for gun control for fear of the people getting fed up with how their country is being ran and the crooks behind it, instead of the crime rate. Think about it, these people in Washington are not dumb, they know that crime will be worse when the people of this country cannot defend themselves. It has already been proven in other countries. Unarmed people are defenseless people against the government as well as criminals. I still say one of the biggest problems with crime is that punishment does not fit the crime. When an idiot kills someone in cold blood, we need to solve it like the old days and hang them in public, swiftly i might add. That will free up room in the prisons for crimes of less severity. And those folks need their asses put back to work to pay their own way. Seems like them bastards have more rights than the taxpayers feeding their sorry butts. I believe the NRA when they say that they simply are not enforcing the gun laws that we already have in the books. Bottom line is, a crook will be a crook no matter what weapon he decides to use and the people have the right to protect themselves, not dial 911. And, if i'm a law abiding citizen and have been through a sufficient background check, then i should be able to shoot the sorry ass that intends to do me or my family harm, with any firearm i see fit to get the threat eliminated. Now that i got some of that off my chest, I'll leave you with a few quotes from someone that knew exactly why the second amendment was important.

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” -Thomas Jefferson

"The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits." -Thomas Jefferson

Rabid Cougar
07-29-2012, 08:07 AM
any fireams or any other weapon for that matter can be accused of being an assault weapon if it is used in an assault. Hell, a 22 derringer can be an assault weapon. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, period. Our founding fathers knew what we could face years later when they established the constitution. I'm pretty confident that the government is pushing for gun control for fear of the people getting fed up with how their country is being ran and the crooks behind it, instead of the crime rate. Think about it, these people in washington are not dumb, they know that crime will be worse when the people of this country cannot defend themselves. It has already been proven in other countries. Unarmed people are defenseless people against the government as well as criminals. I still say one of the biggest problems with crime is that punishment does not fit the crime. When an idiot kills someone in cold blood, we need to solve it like the old days and hang them in public, swiftly i might add. That will free up room in the prisons for crimes of less severity. And those folks need their asses put back to work to pay their own way. Seems like them bastards have more rights than the taxpayers feeding their sorry butts. I believe the nra when they say that they simply are not enforcing the gun laws that we already have in the books. Bottom line is, a crook will be a crook no matter what weapon he decides to use and the people have the right to protect themselves, not dial 911. And, if i'm a law abiding citizen and have been through a sufficient background check, then i should be able to shoot the sorry ass that intends to do me or my family harm, with any firearm i see fit to get the threat eliminated. Now that i got some of that off my chest, i'll leave you with a few quotes from someone that knew exactly why the second amendment was important.

"the two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -thomas jefferson

"the beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -thomas jefferson

"what country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -thomas jefferson

“laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” -thomas jefferson

"the policy of the american government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits." -thomas jefferson

amen.

ethsfbnut
07-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Very well put Couger and yella.

Tejastrue
07-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Jefferson lived during the days of black powder and muzzle loaders. I wonder how he would approach the issues in times such as these.

It was interesting to read a bit on how gun laws are enforced around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_law

Rabid Cougar
07-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Jefferson lived during the days of black powder and muzzle loaders. I wonder how he would approach the issues in times such as these.

It was interesting to read a bit on how gun laws are enforced around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_law

During the time of Jefferson the common citizen owned the very same weapons that were used by the military. The threat of tyranical government/common criminals was and is still the same as it is today.

There is nothing I can say or do to convience any person who is against owning guns that they are wrong. I don't have a problem with that. If you don't like them, don't own them. It's a free country to follow your beliefs. Just don't come knocking on my door when you are sitting and waiting for the police to come to protect you.

Tejastrue
07-29-2012, 01:40 PM
During the time of Jefferson the common citizen owned the very same weapons that were used by the military. The threat of tyrannical government/common criminals was and is still the same as it is today.

There is nothing I can say or do to convience any person who is against owning guns that they are wrong. I don't have a problem with that. If you don't like them, don't own them. It's a free country to follow your beliefs. Just don't come knocking on my door when you are sitting and waiting for the police to come to protect you.

Lol..not much to choose from. The citizens owned tha same weapons because other than maybe a few shotguns the weapons were all the same. Obviously you've not read all my posts. Never said I was against owning a gun. If you were really serious about the tyrannical government thing, why is the Obama administration still in office? Lol. Rest assured, I'll not need your assistance when it comes to the defense of my home and loved ones. As far as the police, down here they are one and the same, local citizens.

yellaseeker
07-29-2012, 04:47 PM
No difference to me back then as it is today. If the Government has military style weapons and the crooks can obtain them too, then i want the same. Like the saying goes, never bring a knife to a gun fight. Every nation in the world could start a ban on "assault" type firearms and you're still not stopping the black market. Therefore, we as law abiding citizens have a right to match fire power with fire power. They're are simply not doing enough to rid guns period, from the people who aren't suppose to own one. These people with rap sheets as long as their arms get stopped or arrested for whatever, and have a weapon on them do minimum time if any. I'd personally like to see every state go to open carry. I've discussed it with a number of people and most agree and a few say that it could be a shock and cause some paranoia among the general public. Maybe a little shock to a few that don't like firearms at all but after the new wore off, i think it would be good for everyone. As for me and a number of people i've had discussions with, it would definately be a deterrrent for criminal activity. I have a CCL and i would rather a knuckle head see that i'm packing and go the other way than to approach me and have to prove to them that i'm packing and will split his wig. If you've ever been in that situation, you know that distance is your friend and once they get inside about six feet, you are in trouble even if your weapon is drawn much less still holstered. With not knowing a subjects full intentions and how close to let them get to you, even people with concealed weapons are at a disadvantage. If that same crook seen a pistol on my side, i have no doubt that he would rather find an easier target. Then, those people that don't think we should have firearms can learn the hard way. Maybe then, just maybe, we'll stop having people in the general public lobbying against gun ownership.

Emerson1
07-29-2012, 04:57 PM
No difference to me back then as it is today. If the Government has military style weapons and the crooks can obtain them too, then i want the same. Like the saying goes, never bring a knife to a gun fight. Every nation in the world could start a ban on "assault" type firearms and you're still not stopping the black market. Therefore, we as law abiding citizens have a right to match fire power with fire power. They're are simply not doing enough to rid guns period, from the people who aren't suppose to own one. These people with rap sheets as long as their arms get stopped or arrested for whatever, and have a weapon on them do minimum time if any. I'd personally like to see every state go to open carry. I've discussed it with a number of people and most agree and a few say that it could be a shock and cause some paranoia among the general public. Maybe a little shock to a few that don't like firearms at all but after the new wore off, i think it would be good for everyone. As for me and a number of people i've had discussions with, it would definately be a deterrrent for criminal activity. I have a CCL and i would rather a knuckle head see that i'm packing and go the other way than to approach me and have to prove to them that i'm packing and will split his wig. If you've ever been in that situation, you know that distance is your friend and once they get inside about six feet, you are in trouble even if your weapon is drawn much less still holstered. With not knowing a subjects full intentions and how close to let them get to you, even people with concealed weapons are at a disadvantage. If that same crook seen a pistol on my side, i have no doubt that he would rather find an easier target. Then, those people that don't think we should have firearms can learn the hard way. Maybe then, just maybe, we'll stop having people in the general public lobbying against gun ownership.
By open carry do you mean not having to have a CCL to carry? Or just be able to have it showing for those that do have one?

Sorry, I don't want some dumbass redneck carrying all the time then try to be big and bad when he is drunk and is now carrying a gun because there was 0 effort in being able to do so.

yellaseeker
07-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Come on man! Do you seriously think they would allow or i would support the idea of just anyone able to openly strap on a pistol and march around in the public sector? To be specific, no you won't have to hold a CHL because that is concealed hand gun license. But, you would still have to go through the same checks as a CHL holder. There are already 10 states that allow it without a permit but i think you still have to go through a background check as any buyer would. There are also 9 other states that allow it by obtaining a permit. Here's a link that shows what states are permissive of the law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry_in_the_United_States

As far as Rednecks go. I don't claim to be part of that community but i will tell you this. I'd rather have a redneck willing to take a madman out in a movie theater or a luby's than a gun lobbyist trying to dial 911 from underneath a table or in the dark. Besides, how many rednecks have you heard of getting drunk and shooting somebody cause he wanted to steal someone's cowboy boots off of them. Carrying a pistol in the open doesn't make one any more succeptable to using it as it would if it was concealed. The difference is, the confrontation from the assailant will seldom happen when they see that a person is openly carrying.

Emerson1
07-29-2012, 06:53 PM
I stumbled upon this, some of you might be interested.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=55891

Manso/V8
07-29-2012, 09:52 PM
I stumbled upon this, some of you might be interested.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=55891

"catering to the long-range tactical precision community" that is a big LOL. I didn't know that community existed, and I wouldn't want them hanging around either!

I don't blame the neighbors for trying to get it shut down. Constant gun fire is unsettling and annoying......especially if the shooters think
they are part of the longe-range tactical precision community. I take that as wannabe snipers who may not be able to resist the urge to
try their skills out for real.

I knew a guy that grew up in Brazoria county, and was an avid hunter. He was a great deer hunter, a real marksman. In Vietnam he became a sniper. He would go out for days at a time and usually came back with some scalps hanging around his neck as that was part of the sniper culture then. When he got back to Texas, he didn't seem the same. For sure he never went deer hunting again. He said deer hunting just wasn't fun anymore, because "deer don't hunt back."

I do have a personal target range. The target area has a 4' wall of stacked railroad ties, with a dirt berm about 4 feet thick in front of it.
All that is in front of some swampy woods that even the cattle never go in to.......so an errant round won't likely cause any harm other than knock the bark off a tree. Still, even with closest neighbors nearly a mile away, I limit the use. It is annoying to hear people shoot constantly.

Tejastrue
07-29-2012, 11:01 PM
We have some neighbors getting their jollies around here on occasion. Sound really carries. Never know if they're are 1/4 mile or several miles away. Nevertheless, it is loud. Fortunately they are not addicts. Lol.

LionFan72
07-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Guns don't kill people; people kill people! There are definite signs that these killers exhibit before going off the reservation, we as society need to recognize and be on guard. The gun debate is abusive to both owners and non-gun owners. What ever your position, educate yourself on both sides, your life depends on sound judgement. Please exercise your right to bear arms, dutifully! I use both hands as my means of gun control.

Old Tiger
07-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Guns don't kill people; people kill people! There are definite signs that these killers exhibit before goinig off the reservation, we as society need to recognize and be on guard. The gun debate is abusive to both owners and non-gun owners. What ever your position, educate yourself on both sides, your life depends on sound judgement. Please exercise your right to bear arms, dutifully! I use both hands as my means of gun control.
Hard to educate yourself when most information is just propaganda to get rednecks going or a reason to hate a black president.

BEAST
07-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Hard to educate yourself when most information is just propaganda to get rednecks going or a reason to hate a black president.

You want to talk about uneducated?? That was probably the dumbest post I have read from you. What about any of this thread has anything to do about race?

BEAST

Cam
07-30-2012, 02:54 PM
You want to talk about uneducated?? That was probably the dumbest post I have read from you. What about any of this thread has anything to do about race?

BEAST

:1popcorn:.......Old Tiger just started some....now there's gonna be some!...

Rabid Cougar
07-30-2012, 03:04 PM

Last I checked legal gun ownership knows no color. It's only the finish that matters; stainless or blued.

Cam
07-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Last I checked legal gun ownership knows no color. It's only the finish that matters; stainless or blued.

I tried to blue an old shotgun barrel bout a month ago......man, did I ever screw that up!.......:vrycnfsd:

Manso/V8
07-30-2012, 03:45 PM
I went to gun show in Houston a few weeks back just to check it out and people watch, I had never been to a gun show.
Everything was cool until I heard some guys speaking Russian.
Something about lots of tactical gear, black assault rifles, and people speaking Russian made me think.......

Ville-D
07-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Shooting in Brownwood yesterday.

http://goo.gl/xxQ4U

A man shot 2 dogs and 2 people because the dogs wouldn't stop crapping in his yard.

From the end of the article:

Another armed resident heard the shots and retrieved his .357 Magnum handgun, and was able to shoot Conner in the leg, and was then fired upon by Conner as Officer Means pulled into the park, according to law enforcement officials. Means saw that Conner was armed and was fired upon as he got out of his vehicle, Grubbs said. Means was able to take cover behind his vehicle and returned fire with his assault rifle which ultimately ended the situation according to Grubbs. As Means and the armed resident returned fire, Conner collapsed dead.

Sheriff Grubbs also noted that some may take this incident as an opportunity to promote gun control; however he felt it is an example of importance of the right to bear arms. “Had this citizen not had a gun, this could have been a whole lot worse,” said Grubbs.

I think I'd like to keep my guns...

Blastoderm55
07-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Shooting in Brownwood yesterday.

A man shot 2 dogs and 2 people because the dogs wouldn't stop crapping in his yard.

I think I'd like to keep my guns...

Good thing I don't have a gun. Neighbor dogs are always crapping my yard. The worse I would do is return the favor myself in their front yards, but that would land me in the slammer with my luck. :D

yellaseeker
07-30-2012, 06:30 PM

I'm not quite sure which end you're talking out of.

Tejastrue
07-30-2012, 09:38 PM
With all the fodder being shared here thought I'd throw in this..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/30/obama-gun-laws-online-ammunition_n_1720122.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D186181

Manso/V8
07-31-2012, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=Ville-D;1683118]Shooting in Brownwood yesterday.

I think I'd like to keep my guns...[/QUOTE

Thanks for posting the story. Very timely.

I wonder if the they had to pry the gun from the cold, dead hands of the suspect, or if he dropped it when he got shot.

Ville-D
07-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for posting the story. Very timely.

I wonder if the they had to pry the gun from the cold, dead hands of the suspect, or if he dropped it when he got shot.

Yes it is a good thing that the concerned citizen had his .357 and was able to save the officers life.

Tejastrue
07-31-2012, 12:34 PM
:thinking: Do you not see the irony in Manso's comment?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ll_give_you_my_gun_when_you_take_it_from_my_co ld,_dead_hands

Ville-D
07-31-2012, 02:00 PM
:thinking: Do you not see the irony in Manso's comment?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ll_give_you_my_gun_when_you_take_it_from_my_co ld,_dead_hands

Ignored it.

BILLYFRED0000
08-02-2012, 02:11 PM
no one here really understands assault rifles very well. A "true military" assault rifle is fully automatic usually with settings selector for single shot, three round burst, and full rock and roll. Any semi auto rifle is just that. A rifle

BILLYFRED0000
08-02-2012, 02:18 PM
haha

BILLYFRED0000
08-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Tp answer your question

The term "assault rifle" originated in Germany in WWII. It it is an automatic rifle that shoots ammunition that is not as powerful as rifle ammunition. It was used by soldiers that were in close quarters combat in the built up areas and in assault of the enemy defenses. It made up for lack of firepower with the the amount of heavy rifle caliber rounds it could put out very quickly. The are not very accurate over 400 yards. The AK-47 is a true assault rifle and is a cheap copy of the original German MP-44 assault rifle. It fires a 7.62mm round with about half the casing/powder as a NATO 7.62/.308 Rifle round. The AR-15/M-16/M-4 Shoot 5.56mm /.223 Ammunition. It is a Combat Rifle, the same as the M-14, M-1, 03 Springfield, 45-70 Springfield, and every other military rifle proceeding them.

The term "assault rifle" has been bastardized by ignorant media and the anti-community to mean any rifle that is used by the military or rifle patterned to look like one.

The Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) is NOT an Assault Rifle. It is a magazine fed light machine gun.

He could have killed just as many people with machete or a bow and arrow. He killed and wounded so many because out of a theater full of people (300+) not one person tried to stop him.

thanks for that. I guess you explained it better. I always tell people that I have not shot an assault rifle since I was in the military. All my rifles are semi-auto. They just get that blank stare. putting in plainly it is a close order combat weapon desingned to increase rate of fire rather than accuracy so many rounds instead of one because in close combat speed is more important than accuracy. I try to explain it as buckshot rather than a slug. Buckshot at close range won't miss but a single slug can. Assault rifles (m4 for example) trade of accuracy and range for a lethal punch with multiple rounds at close range. I would love to own a legal assault rifle ( and you can) but I quit hunting things that run in herds a while back.\

And no Emerson, I am not a redneck.

BILLYFRED0000
08-02-2012, 02:27 PM
As far as wannabe snipers well that is another story. I can only shoot about a half minute of arc but my brother can do a quarter regularly and has zeroed his 308 a few times when wind weather ammo and his body cooperated. He can cover a quarter at 500. I can occasionally hit one at that range.