PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Olympics Updates

Phil C
07-25-2012, 11:26 AM
This year they will be in London until August 12th. The opening ceremony is this Friday. You can watch it live or prime time on NBC Sports. Please check your tv guide for coverage.

Competition has started today and right now our Women's Soccer Team is playing France in an effort to defend the gold they won in China. We aren't doing a good job and after 18 minutes we trail 2-0. A big blow to us if we lost this one.

Phil C
07-25-2012, 11:29 AM
USA is fighting back to get a goal at the 23rd minute and it is now France 2 USA 1.

Isn't it great to have the Olympics and the Tour de France to get us through the difficult period before football season?

Phil C
07-25-2012, 11:44 AM
GOAL! USA's Alex Morgan scores the typing goal as it is now 2 all.

But France just barely hits a shot over the cross bar. A warning to the USA with 8 minutes till halftime if they thought all the momentum was all their's.

Phil C
07-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Half time and still tied at 2 all. Both sides had chances to score but didn't. Still USA is fortunate to be tied at this point and hopefully they can score enough to win the game the second half.

defense51
07-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Usa!!!

Phil C
07-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Today they will be televising Men's Soccer. Since the USA is not in it I won't be watching but it is on for those interested.

Phil C
07-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Tomorrow night is the opening ceremony. Below is a list of blunders that happened in the past. China and President Bush have more than their share.

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/olympics-opening-ceremony-blunders-slideshow/

YTBulldogs
07-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Cool article ran in this weeks local paper here in Yoakum. Just in time as the London Games get under way.

Yoakumite won Olympic gold in 1948

By Michael S. McCracken,
Yoakum Herald-Times, Managing Editor

Did you know that Yoakum is the hometown of a gold medal Olympian?
Arthur Harold “Art” Harnden, a 1941 graduate of Yoakum High School, went on to attend Texas A&M and became a world class sprinter as a member of the Aggie track team. Harnden tried out and made the Olympic track team in 1948 and participated in the Games of XIV Olympiad, which were held in London during the summer of 1948.
“It was kind of a weird thing that I made the Olympic team,” Harnden said. “I was only the 4th best in the trials we had, but two guys in front of me broke their legs some how, so I got the call.”
Harnden, 24 at the time, teamed up with Cliff Bourland (Los Angeles, CA), Roy Cochran (Richton, MS) and Mal Whitfield (Bay City, TX) to form the USA Men’s 4 x 400-meter relay team and the team took gold with a winning time of 3:10.4. France finished 2nd with a time of 3:14.8 and Sweden was 3rd at 3:16.0. During the preliminaries, the USA squad posted a time of 3:12.6 in their heat.
All but one of those relay team members are still alive today. Cochran passed away at the age of 62 in 1981. Harnden, who ran the first leg of the race, is now 88 years old while Bourland is the eldest of the group at 91. Whitfield, who ran the anchor leg, is now 87.
“It was a great accomplishment and an honor to represent our country, especially right after World War II,” Harnden said. “I had just been to London a few years prior to that as a nose gunner in the war, so I was already familiar with the territory.”
The USA teams sailed over to England on the SS American in July of 1948 and returned aboard the SS Washington. The airlines had not yet developed full trans-Atlantic service due to the dislocations of World War II, which had been over only three years.
Harnden, who was elected to the Aggie Hall of Fame in 1966, was a two-time All-American in the 440-yard dash and he brought the first Olympic gold to Aggieland. While competing as a member of the Yoakum High School track team in 1941 under the direction of Coach Lee Mitchell, he set a record at the Boling track meet with a 10.1 in the 100-yard dash and he ran at the state meet his senior year, placing 5th in the 220-yard dash with a time of 21.5.
Harnden, who also participated in football while at YHS, wasn’t granted an athletic scholarship, but Col. Frank Anderson, Texas A&M’s track coach at the time, saw his potential and invited him to report for the track squad. Col. Anderson never regretted his foresight. He became captain of the A&M track team of 1948 that won the Southwest Conference Championship.
After a year and a half of college, Harnden voluntarily joined the United States Air Force because he knew who would likely be drafted anyway. He became a B-17 Bomber nose gunner as a 20-year old and flew 23 missions over Germany in 1944 and reached the rank of Staff Sergeant.
“I was a member of the 8th Air Force and it was known for having the most casualties, so I was a little nervous when I found out that was where I was headed,” Harnden said. “To this day I think it was amazing that I survived through those 23 missions. Somebody was watching over me.”
During his World War II deployment in London, Harnden met a woman named Betty and the two rekindled their relationship when he returned to London for the Olympics. The couple married a few years later and are still together today. The couple, who now reside in Corpus Christi, have two children-- Elizabeth and David. Elizabeth resides in Corpus Christi and works for a BMW dealership there while David is a CPA in Cleburne.
Harnden, who is the son of the late Arthur “Jack” & Pearl Harnden, does have one relative who still resides in Yoakum and that’s his cousin, Patricia Stark. He did have a sister, Gladys, who has since passed away.
London, which will become the first city to officially host the modern Olympic Games three times, will be hosting the 2012 Summer Olympics as the Games of XXX Olympiad are set to begin this week with opening ceremonies slated for Friday, July 27. London hosted the games for the first time in 1908.
The 2012 Summer Olympic Games will last until Aug. 12 with over 10,500 athletes from 204 National Olympic Committees (NOCs) expected to participate.
Following are excerpts of articles that ran in the Yoakum Herald-Times through the years in regards to Mr. Harnden, most of which were written by R. G. Winchester, former Yoakum High School principal:
Art was the only representative from the Southwest Conference in track and field in the 1948 Olympics and possibly the first gold medal winner from the conference.
Art won the NCAA and AAU championship in the 440 yd. and 400 meter dash in 1946, 1947, and 1948.
The Summer Olympic Games of 1948 were held in London’s Wembley Stadium. There was a capacity crowd of 80,000 spectators each day. There were 27 U.S.A. teams that participated in 24 different sports between July 29 and August 14. There were 429 members of U.S.A. teams which participated in the summer games and the winter games at St. Moritz in Switzerland.
Gold medals were awarded to 74 U.S.A. athletes in London, and 6 at St. Moritz. Among these were Harnden. Texas A&M’s track coach, Col. Frank Anderson, had a faculty of taking inexperienced and unknown athletes and developing them into champions.
The United States had won the 1600 meter relay, six of the eight times it had been contested. Great Britain had won in 1920 and 1936. There were three preliminary heats in 1948. Australia withdrew. The U.S.A. great rival was Jamaica, with Arthur Wint and Herb McKinley, both of whom had attended American colleges.
The first leg of the final was closely contested between Art and V. G. Rhoden of Jamaica. Cliff Bourland of the U.S.A. ran second against B. L. McCochran, who had set an Olympic record in the 400 meter hurdles. Roy Cochran ran against the giant striding Wint. He was able to maintain the lead given him and appeared to be increasing it on the backstretch. However, Wint pulled up lame, and from then on the race was a walkaway for the United States. Mal Whitfield ran the anchor leg, and the time was 3 min. 10.4 sec. Had Wint been able to finish, the anchor lap would have been between Whitfield and McKenley. Italy and Jamaica did not finish.
The earliest Olympic Games were held in Greece in ancient times as physical and intellectual contests. The Greeks valued one as much as the other. In fact, they even has poetry contests. However, the games degenerated; with corruption and bribery creeping in. When the Roman conquerors took over, they became only spectacles for the masses. The games eventually died out, and were not resurrected until the first modern Olympic Games in Athens, Greece in 1896. The prime mover was Baron deCoubertin of France.
The 6th and 12th Olympiads were not held, due to World Wars and the 13th was also passed over, due to war conditions in 1944. The 1948 Games were made up the 14th Olympiad.
The Yoakum Lions Club honored Art Harnden, his mother, father, and sis, Gladys with a banquet at Quast’s Cafe on Sept. 1, 1948. He was presented a fine leather traveling bag as a token of appreciation.
Art was also honored as a nose gunner during World War II. He spoke briefly at the banquet of his Olympic competition. He expressed admiration for the British, who managed the games so well so soon after a devastating war that left much of their cities destroyed. He also told of running on all sorts of tracks in exhibitions after the Games, including a grass track at Dublin. He ran seven races in four days just before sailing back home.
It was learned that Art’s athletic ability may have been inherited. His grandfather, a Yoakum resident, and still active in 1948 at the age of 89, was an English bicycling champion, who won many medals.
A delegation from Texas A&M was present at the banquet including Dr. Fred Jaggi, athletic director, Bill Carmichael and assistant track coach Ray Putnam.
The A&M Pride, the mile relay team, won the Texas, Kansas, and Drake Relays. Art Harnden (Captain of the track team) along with Ray Holbrook, Ervin Bilderback, and Don Cordon set a new college record at Coliseum Relays on May 20, 1948 in Los Angeles, CA.
Harnden was also the guest speaker at the Annual Yoakum High School All-Sports Banquet held on May 17, 1980.
At the Annual Awards Dinner of Texas A&M Athletic Hall of Fame on Saturday, Oct. 29, 1966, with 40,000 people in attendance, Arthur H. Harnden of Yoakum was inducted into the Aggie Club Hall of Fame. Yoakum was thus in the spotlight of attention when the Awards Banquet at A&M honored this outstanding track star from South Mustang, graduate of Yoakum High School, and well remembered by most of his hometowners and sports fans.
Arthur Harnden, is also the nephew of the late Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Harnden of Yoakum. The family home place was in the South Mustang area, just north of the Hagan Feed Lot.
During Harnden’s induction, it was noted that he never lost a race once he graduated high school.
Harnden went to work for Texaco in 1949, served as an oil accountant in the El Campo office. His hobbies were Little League baseball, watching A&M football and track meets. He was a deacon at First Presbyterian Church in Yoakum, and a Sunday School teacher.
Following his retirement from Texaco, Harnden went to work for Wal-Mart in Corpus Christi where he worked until just last year.

Phil C
07-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Well Done Mr. Harnden!

:clap:

Phil C
07-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Below is an article about the 1936 Olympics in Germany. We know about Jesse Owens but this ralatively unknown event is interesting. Enjoy!

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/fivering_circus/2012/07/_1936_olympics_rowing_the_greatest_underdog_nazi_d efeating_american_olympic_victory_you_ve_never_hea rd_of_.html

Phil C
07-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Another interesting point of the article was that at the 1924 Paris Olympics a Yale team won the gold medal in Men's 8 in rowling. On the team was one of the Rockefellas (James) who was an official for the National City Bank of New York for many years and an airborn commander during WW2. Another member was Benjamin Spock (Yes - the famous Dr. Spock. This was the famous pediatrian docator). Interesting indeed.

defense51
07-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Cool story YTBulldogs.

YTBulldogs
07-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Cool story YTBulldogs.

You'd think we'd have something hanging around town about him and what he did? A plaque or something. Maybe they did at one time, and the thug's tore it down over the year's? Never heard of him till this article appeared.

defense51
07-27-2012, 07:42 AM
That's a shame there's nothing to commemorate his accomplishments, Olympic gold is pretty special!

YTBulldogs
07-27-2012, 07:52 AM
That's a shame there's nothing to commemorate his accomplishments, Olympic gold is pretty special!

See what I can do. Be neat to have him come back home and unveil it in person.

Phil C
07-27-2012, 08:27 AM
See what I can do. Be neat to have him come back home and unveil it in person.

It would be great. Also if he is living in Corpus Christi they should do something for him too.

YTBulldogs
07-27-2012, 08:39 AM
It would be great. Also if he is living in Corpus Christi they should do something for him too.

Talked to Mike McCracken, the one that did the one on one interview for the Yoakum Herald-Times, and he said Art is sharp, fully alert and still getting around good for being in his 80's. Be a great contribute to this man at this point in his life. Yoakum has a large A&M alumni, maybe they can help out too?

CelinaCatFan
07-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Does anyone know what network channels are showing the Olympics? It usually is 6-8 different ones.

hollywood
07-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Does anyone know what network channels are showing the Olympics? It usually is 6-8 different ones.

NBC Sports

Channel 603 on DirecTV

Phil C
07-27-2012, 09:43 AM
I think after tonight that besides NBC Sports it will also be carred by the regular NBC network. Please double check your local tv guide.
Tonight it will be the opening ceremony as well as some more men's soccer coverage. Then the action really starts tomorrow. Go USA!

Phil C
07-27-2012, 09:53 AM
It had been 64 years since London has hosted the Olympics and with the start they have done it may be another 64 years before they get them again if not more. It seems that they provided air conditioners in the apartments for their athletes but failed to do so for their guests showing a lack of preparation, foresight and hospitality. Even Greece did much better 8 years ago.

Phil C
07-27-2012, 09:56 AM
A big deal will be made by the British if tonight our flag bearer doesn't dip the flag to the Queen. They should fix the air conditioner problem before they complain about that in my opinion. Twer better if they had chosen Paris instead of London perhaps.

Phil C
07-29-2012, 09:59 PM
SPOILER ALERT - Please remember that events occur in England before our prime time at night (7 P.M. - 10 P.M.) and results are known so if you don't want to know them before they are shown in the evening you may want to omit this web site. Remember England is six hours ahead of our time.

So much coverage happening and so many events and I am behind in reporting.

Michael Phelps has got one silver medal and needs one more time to tie the record and two more to get ahead. He has five more chances to get at least two of them.

Old Tiger
07-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Administrator should enable spoiler tags.

Phil C
07-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Gymnastics should be interesting this year. I don't like subjective judging because it is unfair. I have seen them be inconsistent on basically the same mistakes. What is does is give one excessive decutions and inflated scores. Also you get a crooked judge or one that has been bribed then it really creates unfairl caos. Consistency and fairness is strived for but unfortunately it isn't always obtained.

defense51
07-30-2012, 08:44 AM
The all-around gymnastics placement is a bust! The USA should have at least three in the mix, how can you only put two from each country when it should be the top 24 regardless of where they're from?

defense51
07-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Congratulations to Granbury's Dana Vollmer on her gold medal and world record!

Phil C
07-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Congratulations to Granbury's Dana Vollmer on her gold medal and world record!

Thank you defense51. That is great information. I didn't know she was from Granbury much less Texas so that makes her win even sweeter. Well done Dana!

Roughneck93
07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Social media is killing the Olympics for me! http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/angry-smiley.gif (http://emoticoner.com) I try to stay away during the day but there's no getting around it.

Tejastrue
07-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Social media is killing the Olympics for me! http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/angry-smiley.gif (http://emoticoner.com) I try to stay away during the day but there's no getting around it.

:iagree: :tmi:

Phil C
07-31-2012, 08:18 AM
We did well in swimming yesterday. Michael Phelps has two shots at getting past the overall medal winnings. Maybe he can do it today. We will know by about 4 P.M. so beware of Spoilers as his races will be shown prime time. Could be historical.

Phil C
07-31-2012, 01:18 PM
SPOILER WARNING!

Great news as the USA Women's Gymnastic team took home the gold which helps ease the disappointing results in our Men's Team.

Phil C
07-31-2012, 01:32 PM
ANOTHER SPOILER WARNING AND THIS IS THE FINAL WARNING. PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS THREAD UNTIL AFTER PRIME TIME TONIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW RESULTS AND PRETEND THAT YOU ARE WATCHING LIVE. LONDON IS SIX HOURS BEFORE OUR TIME. WHEN IT IS 2 P.M. HERE IT IS 9 P.M. IN LONDON.

More great news as our Women's Soccer Team beat North Korea to have a perfect record in thier bracket and will advance to the quarter finals. They scored a goal in t he middle of the first half and then held on to win 1 - 0 even though North Korea had several threats. Just three more wins from the gold.

Cam
07-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Michael Phelps toes are longer than my.....uhh....my fingers!!...........that boy is deformed!.......them is some gross footsies!!.......just sayin'.....the boy can swim......when does track and field start??....that's what I'm lookin' forward to...but not as much as that hula hoop ballet gymnastics stuff with the pretty long ribbons that remind me of Chinese kites and where they go catchin' them dodge balls with their legs and stuff.....heck, I don't know what that event is called......can somebody help me?

Rabid Cougar
07-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Michael Phelps toes are longer than my.....uhh....my fingers!!...........that boy is deformed!.......them is some gross footsies!!.......just sayin'.....the boy can swim......when does track and field start??....that's what I'm lookin' forward to...but not as much as that hula hoop ballet gymnastics stuff with the pretty long ribbons that remind me of Chinese kites and where they go catchin' them dodge balls with their legs and stuff.....heck, I don't know what that event is called......can somebody help me?

"Cough" "Cough" Rhythmic Gymnastics "Cough"...... er.. ah.. How about thems Bears?

Phil C
07-31-2012, 01:42 PM
In a short while they will have the Women's 200 m freestyle in swimming. This is the finals and the USA women are Missy Franklin and Allison Schmitt.
Shortly afterward the men have the finals in the 200 m butterfly which is Michael Phelps speciality but competition is tough. Also in the event for the USA is Tyler Clary.

It would be great if the USA could take both gold and silver in these events. GO USA!

Cam
07-31-2012, 01:44 PM
"Cough" "Cough" Rhythmic Gymnastics "Cough"...... er.. ah.. How about thems Bears?

Dammit that's it!....Thank you!....I kept wantin' to say Arithmetic Gymnastics.......yeah....them Bears might have somethin' this year.....like ticks!

Cam
07-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Shoot!...all I care about is that we whip them Commy bastard Chinese!.....what's the medal count now?....and the next time someone throws a punch at Wambach (I'm in love with that big beautiful woman!) or anyone else for that matter, it's time to clear the benches!!......:devil::evilgrin:

Phil C
07-31-2012, 01:55 PM
The USA took gold in the Women's 200 m freestyle as Allison Schmitt won the gold but unfortunately Missy came in fourth but it is great to get another gold medal. I think right now the medal count is USA at 20 and China at 19.

Come on Michael and Tyler!

Phil C
07-31-2012, 02:00 PM
It was a close one but Michael got edge out and has to settle for silver in a great race. Hopefully he will get at least one goal medal in the Olympics but with this resuld he is now tied with Larisa Latynina in total medals won at 17 all and has a chance to break it later. A historical day could be about to happen. Go Michael! Go USA!

Phil C
07-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Great news as the USA Men's 4x200m freestyle relay team takes gold in swimming! This gives Michael Phelps another gold medal and he now is the leader in total Olympic Medals. He has 15 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze medals for a total of 19 olympic medals with 3 more events to go so more may come. Well Done Mr. Phelps and the USA swimming team!

Phil C
07-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Tonight is one night at prime time that one should watch the olympics not only for great history but to enjoy a great day for the USA.

Phil C
07-31-2012, 04:26 PM
As an update for the total medal counts the USA and China are tied at 23 total. They are well ahead of everyone else as France trails at 11, South Korea at 8 and North Korea at 4. The surprise is that in the swimming events that Australia has not done very well like they usually so look for them to make some great effort in the next few days.

Phil C
07-31-2012, 04:53 PM
The Men's USA basketball team so far is having a surprisenly difficult time with Tunisia. This was supposed to be a riot but with 2:45 till halftime we are only ahead 39 to 30. It goes to show that the teams will be at their best when they play us. I still think we will pull ahead of them and win easily.

defense51
07-31-2012, 08:25 PM
McKayla Maroney just had a flawless vault and they deduct .267 points? If that wasn't perfect then a perfect vault is impossible! Where do they get the gymnastics judges? I'm calling BS on that one... :flaming:

defense51
07-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Does anyone know if the gold medals have any actual gold content?

Tejastrue
07-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Does anyone know if the gold medals have any actual gold content?

Gold and silver medals are 92.5% silver. Gold medals must be plated with at least 6 grams of gold.

Phil C
08-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Lots of excitement the past two days as the USA has the lead in medals over China at 37 t0 34 and we have caught up with them in Gold medals at 34 each. Michael Phelps won the gold in the 200m individual Medley in swimming to extend his overall career medals to 20. He really wanted to get a gold in an individual event and he got it. There are other great successes you can read about but Gabby Douglas won the overall Women's Gymnist's gold medal and she was magnificient and deserved it. Go USA!

defense51
08-03-2012, 08:55 AM
I think the female gymnasts have more athleticism pound for pound than any other athletes in any sport.

Ville-D
08-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I think the female gymnasts have more athleticism pound for pound than any other athletes in any sport.

I bet that Judo chick could take them.... Is that what you meant?

Phil C
08-03-2012, 10:49 AM
USA Women's Soccer Team beats New Zealand 2-0 to advance to the quarterfinal.
Below is a disturbing article that the British Rider crashed on purpose. It should be investigated since they did it to some of the batmitton teams. Of cou rse maybe the host country gets slack sort of like China 4 years ago with their underage gymnists.

defense51
08-03-2012, 02:48 PM
I bet that Judo chick could take them.... Is that what you meant?

I bet she couldn't on the balance beam! :hand:

Phil C
08-03-2012, 03:50 PM
We are doing great today. I won't fill in the details so be sure to watch tonight as our swimmers have done great.

Today the USA women's soccer team beat New Zealand 2-0 and will play Canada in the Semis. Japan plays France in the other semi. Japan beat Brazil 2-0 and Canada beat Great Britain 6-0.

Phil C
08-03-2012, 04:50 PM
One event the other day that was a great gold medal win was our Women's 8 in Rowing. This is very popular in the Northeast part of the Country. In it you have 8 rowers facing away from the direction they are doing and their job is to follow directions of the coxswain. The coxswain is the ninth person and is in most cases very small and light. The cowswain actually steers the boat and shouts our instructions to the rowers. He/She faces them and sees the direction they are going. The coxswain paces the rowers to get the best results and lets' them know when they need to increase the pace or decrease in order to save energy when needed. The Cowswain has been called the brain of the team while the rowers are the body.

hollywood
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM
We are doing great today. I won't fill in the details so be sure to watch tonight as our swimmers have done great.

Today the USA women's soccer team beat New Zealand 2-0 and will play Canada in the Semis. Japan plays France in the other semi. Japan beat Brazil 2-0 and Canada beat Great Britain 6-0.

That's awesome Phil C! I'm starting to think fate is that the US WNT will face Japan in the final to redeem last years loss in the World Cup with a win. We shall see.

Phil C
08-05-2012, 06:08 PM
The medal county now is China in first place with 61 (30G,17S,14B) followed by USA with 60 (28G,14S,18B) followed by the host Country Great Britain with 37 (16G,11S,20B).

No matter who wins the medal count a lot of countries including the three above will have had moments of glory.

Also the events run through next Sunday and more medals to be given out. Right now there have been 499 medals awarded with 407 left to be determined and one day can drastically change things.

Phil C
08-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Today Gabby Douglas failed to madal on the uneven bars. Come on Women's USA Gymnists! Let's get some winning!

Phil C
08-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Our Track and Field athletes need to step up and stop this fooling around. China is beating us in the Medal County. We need to get more gold and get ahead in the medal count. I was counting on track and field to get us ahead. Come on USA! Let's get some winning!

regaleagle
08-06-2012, 10:10 AM
When the Track & Field medals start adding up, I think you will see the USA take the lead in the medal count, as well as the Golds. I don't think China can compete with us there. They have run their gamut in the sports they are competitive with, but the US should continue stacking the medals from here on out.

Phil C
08-06-2012, 12:17 PM
With about 35 minutes left in the game in the first Women's Soccer Semis Japan is leading France 2-0 and I think this lead is going to hold up for them. Right afterward the USA plays Canada in the other semis with the two winners playing for the gold while the two losers play for the bronze. It looks like it will be Japan vs USA or Canada for the gold medal. Go USA!

Phil C
08-06-2012, 01:14 PM
I was right as Japan wins 2-1 even though France does get a score. Now Japan plays either the USA or Canada.

Phil C
08-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Not looking good in Women's Soccer as Canada leads the USA 1-0 in the 38.01 min mark. The USA has had chances but failed to score and the Canadian got behind them for their only score. Ironically the illegal roughness that the Canadian Coach gripped about the USA is what his team is doing and his team is getting away with it. Still we should be leading. This looks like this is going to be an utter humiliating disgraceful defeat. :(:mad:

Phil C
08-06-2012, 02:42 PM
It is halftime and same score. We are fortunate it isn't any worse even though we should have at least two more goals. Our ladies better really play this second half and get some more goals but I am worried. We may blow this one folks.

More disgrace as our final American Men's Beach Volleyball team is eliminated and no medals in this event for the USA.

Phil C
08-06-2012, 03:05 PM
In the 54th minute USA scores with a goal by Megan Rapinoe and it is tied at 1-1. We need to play great defense and get at least another goal and win this one. Come on USA!

Phil C
08-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Good Grief Canada gets another goal with about 20 minutes left to lead 2-1. Come on Ladies!

Phil C
08-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Both teams have scored again as Canada is winning 3 - 2. There is 15 minutes left to play. I think Canada is going to hand on.

Phil C
08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Canada commits a foul in the penalty area and gives USA a free kick which they take advantage of score making it 3-3 tie with about 9 minutes left. I hope we can score one more goal but Canada keeps answering back every time. We will see.

Old Tiger
08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Canada commits a foul in the penalty area and gives USA a free kick which they take advantage of score making it 3-3 tie with about 9 minutes left. I hope we can score one more goal but Canada keeps answering back every time. We will see.

how does overtime work if they get to that point?

Phil C
08-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Old they are there and the way they do it is that there will be two 15 minute periods and then it is dicided by panalty kicks. There are no golden goals here where a team scores and the game is automatically over.

Phil C
08-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Same score and we are well into second OT period. I take back what I posted because there will be no disgrace to the loser of this match. Both teams have had chances to win it is true but at the same time both have really played well and played their hearts out. I hope the final win isn't decided by a ref's silly decision. Well done by both teams.

Phil C
08-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Man both teams are playing by determination with tiredness taking over their bodies with minor injuries. Somewhere Team Japan is smiling (perhaps France too). I don't know who would have the edge if it comes down to penalty kicks. The USA has the better goalie but the Canadians may have the better kickers.

Phil C
08-06-2012, 04:17 PM
USA scores to take the lead 4-3 with near the end of stoppage time. The score by Alex Morgan! Way to go Ladies! A fantastic game by both teams. Now we play Japan for the gold.

hollywood
08-06-2012, 04:21 PM
USA scores to take the lead 4-3 with near the end of stoppage time. The score by Alex Morgan! Way to go Ladies! A fantastic game by both teams. Now we play Japan for the gold.

USA!!! never ever ever ever count the WNT out! They know how to finish! period!

Two words... BABY HORSE! Amazing, simply amazing.

BEAST
08-06-2012, 04:22 PM
What a game. Thanks for the updates.

BEAST

Roughneck93
08-06-2012, 04:23 PM
http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/whew-smiley.gif (http://emoticoner.com)That was awesome! :clap:

Cam
08-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Them USA girls played so hard all their body paint melted off!!......:crazy1:

Phil C
08-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Thank goodness they have a couple of days before they have to play Japan. Rest well Ladies!

Phil C
08-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Lots of action today and you can read up on it. The USA women won an exciting water polo match today.

In Men's Soccer Mexico beat Japan 3-1 and will play Brazil for the gold this Saturday. Soccer is very popular in Mexico and a lot of American Hispanics really like it. Let's hope our neighbors to the South can bring home the gold which will do wonders for the morale of their country. Viva Mexico!

The USA and China are really fighting it out for the medals. As of right now China is ahead 73 (34G,21S,18B) to 70 (30G,19S,21B). Great Britain and Russia are tied for third with 48 medals each.

Phil C
08-07-2012, 04:09 PM
More Great News in Women's Beach Volleyball. Kelli Walsh Jennings/Misty May-Treanor won their semis match by two 22-20 scores over China and Jennifer Kessy/April Ross also advanced to the finals with a hard fought win over Brazil 2-1. This means we have USA vs USA for the gold and silver. This is what we need to have. China will play Brazil for the bronze. Great news indeed.

Roughneck93
08-07-2012, 11:18 PM
More Great News in Women's Beach Volleyball. Kelli Walsh Jennings/Misty May-Treanor won their semis match by two 22-20 scores over China and Jennifer Kessy/April Ross also advanced to the finals with a hard fought win over Brazil 2-1. This means we have USA vs USA for the gold and silver. This is what we need to have. China will play Brazil for the bronze. Great news indeed.

:2thumbsup

hollywood
08-08-2012, 08:52 AM
I love Olympic Women's Beach Volleyball. :)

Phil C
08-08-2012, 09:23 AM
I love Olympic Women's Beach Volleyball. :)

A great sport indeed. It is great the USA gets the gold and silver. I hope Brazil gets t he Bronze but China is good.

Phil C
08-08-2012, 09:24 AM
This is an interesting article on the difference between subjective and objective events in the olympics as some of you have pointed out before.

Phil C
08-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Well I didn't get back in time to edit my above post again but this is the article.

http://blog.chron.com/olympics/2012/08/the-real-medal-count-united-states-leads-china-in-golds-overall-medals/

Phil C
08-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Great news in women's beach volleyball as Brazil beats China in a tough match 2-1. This means the USA will gain 2 medals on China including a gold and silver.

Phil C
08-08-2012, 02:52 PM
The first day of Men's Decathlon begins today with 5 events today and 5 tomorrow. It is looking good as our participates are first and second so far. It would be great to get two medals especially gold and silver. China has no participates in this event.

Phil C
08-08-2012, 03:15 PM
More good news this time about our Women boxers as middleweight Claessa Shields won in the semis and advances to the final so at worse we will get a silver. In the flyweight Marlen Esparza won a bronse medal so our women at least got two medals here.

What is tough to accept is the no U.S. Men in boxing got any medals for the first time in history which is a sport we used to always get our share of medals that included gold medals. Scary times indeed.

Old Tiger
08-08-2012, 03:29 PM
More good news this time about our Women boxers as middleweight Claessa Shields won in the semis and advances to the final so at worse we will get a silver. In the flyweight Marlen Esparza won a bronse medal so our women at least got two medals here.

What is tough to accept is the no U.S. Men in boxing got any medals for the first time in history which is a sport we used to always get our share of medals that included gold medals. Scary times indeed.This aint the 50s Phil no one cares about boxing.

Phil C
08-08-2012, 03:44 PM
In Beach Volleyball the USA now officially has the gold and silver as Misty May-Treanor/Kerri Walsh-Jennings beat Aapril Ross/Jennifer Kessy in 2-0 games by the score of 21 to 16. Both games were hard fought and thanks to both of these great teams for bringing home two more medals for the USA. Well Done!

BEAST
08-08-2012, 03:45 PM
This aint the 50s Phil no one cares about boxing.

Now if they replaced it with MMA, I think there would be a lot more interest.

BEAST

Phil C
08-08-2012, 03:54 PM
More great news in the Women's Long Jump as we take the gold and bronze. That is what our men need to duplicate in their events.

Phil C
08-08-2012, 04:13 PM
In the women's 200m more great news as American Allyson Felix got a gold medal for her great race. Also we got the bronze with Carmelita Jeter coming in third. Well done Ladies!

Phil C
08-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Even more great news is in the medal count. It is after 10 P.M. in London so I think the medals to be awarded today have been given.

The USA now is in first place with 81 Medals (34G.22S.25B) We have 5 more medals than China and now we are only one behing them in gold count.
China is in second place with 76 Medals (35G,22S,19B)

Russia is now third with 52 Medals (11G,19S,22B) with the host country Great Britain in fourth with 48 Medals (22G,13S,13B). It is noted that Great Britain is well ahead of Russia in Gold Medals. Germany is in fifth place with 32 Medals (7G,15S,10B).

It is noted that even there has been much glory won by countries that are outside the top 5.

Phil C
08-08-2012, 04:36 PM
In the 100 M Hurdles American Aries took home the gold. We have had several medals in Men's Track and Field but this was the first gold. Let's home we can keep this trend going.

Phil C
08-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Oops there may be some late events as China gained another gold medal to have 77 Medals. I don't know what the sport was for sure but probably something subjective like gymnastics or diving or something. But I could be wrong. Still a good day for us anyway.

Maroon87
08-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Calallen ex Amy Acuff is in qualification group B of the women's high jump, which gets underway tomorrow (3:30am CT). Good luck Amy!

Maroon87
08-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Calallen ex Amy Acuff is in qualification group B of the women's high jump, which gets underway tomorrow (3:30am CT). Good luck Amy!

Unfortunately Amy placed 20th in the qualifier and did not advance to the finals. Still, a great showing for a 37-year old competing in her 5th Olympics.:cool:

Old Tiger
08-09-2012, 09:41 AM

The 110m hurdle champ is from Bryan.

Phil C
08-09-2012, 04:48 PM
A great day for the USA as we now lead in total medals over China at 90 (39G,25S,26B) to 79 (27G,23S,19B).

The USA really did great . Our USA women got the gold in soccer by beating Japan in a hard fought game 2-1, the water polo women got our first medal in that sport by beating Spain 8 to 5 and in Women's Boxing Claressa Shields got the gold medal in the middleweight division. This is the first time a USA woman has won a boxing gold medal.

In Track and Field our USA men also helped out as Christian Taylor got Gold and Will Claye got Silver in the Men's Triple Jump. Our USA men got Gold (Aston Eaton) and Silver (Trey Hardee) in the Decathlon.

A great day indeed. Our Women's Basketball and Volleyball teams are in the finals and I expect our Men's basket ball team to get there. Hopefully we can keep getting medals (especially gold) in Track and Field and other events left. There are three days left in the 2012 Olympics and don't forget Sunday night is a final closing ceremony.

Roughneck93
08-10-2012, 12:55 AM
A great day for the USA as we now lead in total medals over China at 90 (39G,25S,26B) to 79 (27G,23S,19B).

The USA really did great . Our USA women got the gold in soccer by beating Japan in a hard fought game 2-1, the water polo women got our first medal in that sport by beating Spain 8 to 5 and in Women's Boxing Claressa Shields got the gold medal in the middleweight division. This is the first time a USA woman has won a boxing gold medal.

In Track and Field our USA men also helped out as Christian Taylor got Gold and Will Claye got Silver in the Men's Triple Jump. Our USA men got Gold (Aston Eaton) and Silver (Trey Hardee) in the Decathlon.

A great day indeed. Our Women's Basketball and Volleyball teams are in the finals and I expect our Men's basket ball team to get there. Hopefully we can keep getting medals (especially gold) in Track and Field and other events left. There are three days left in the 2012 Olympics and don't forget Sunday night is a final closing ceremony.
http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/yess-smiley.gif (http://emoticoner.com)

defense51
08-10-2012, 07:08 AM
The USA had a great day yesterday! The women's soccer team played awesome and brought home the gold. And how about the American sprinter who finished running his leg in the 4x100 relay with a broken bone in his leg. That's good stuff! Go USA!!!

Phil C
08-10-2012, 11:56 AM
In the semis today in men's basketball Russia is ahead of Spain at the half 31 to 20. The USA still has to beat Argentina again to advance in the gold medal game. Wouldn't it be great to play Russia again on the gold medal which will no doubt bring memories of the controversial 1972 game. Go USA! Beat Argentina.

The USA Women will be playing France for the gold tomorrow in basketball.

It is noted that later today our friends and neighbors to the south (Mexico) will be playing Brazil for the gold in Men's Soccer. Viva Mexico!

Phil C
08-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Well Spain came back and beat Russia in Men's Basketball so it won't be a USA vs Russia final but still it would be great for us to get the Gold. Go USA!

coach
08-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Ryan lochte is a huge douche?

Phil C
08-10-2012, 02:17 PM
More good news as the USA gets another gold. This time it was Jordan Ernest Burroughs winning his gold medal match in Men's Freestyle 74 KG Wrestling. Well Done Jordan!

As of right now we have 91 Medals (40G,25S,26B) and China has 81 (37G,25S,19B).

Russia is in third with 60 medals (14G,21S,16B) followed by the host country Great Britain with 56 Medals (25G,15S,16B). Germany is in fifth place with 38 Medals (10G,12S,11B).

Wouldn't it be great if we could get more gold medals and get at least 100 or more in the total?

Manso/V8
08-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Ryan lochte is a huge douche?

No, a lot of people think that, especially after showing off his flag inspired "grill".

Phil C
08-10-2012, 02:43 PM
China is determined to keep getting better at the Olympics. While this is a worthy goal the means discussed in this article is disturbing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--china-s-olympic-goal--dominate-the-medal-count.html

Phil C
08-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Soon the Women will compete in the 4X100m relay in which they are favored to win. Let's hope they don't drop the baton or do something to get disqualified as they have done in the past costing us gold medals.

Phil C
08-10-2012, 02:50 PM
My concerns didn't happen as our Women not only took the gold in the 4x100m relay they set a world record of 40.42 seconds! Well done Ladies!

Phil C
08-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Our men's 4x400m relay team did well getting us a silver medal bringing our total to 94 medals with 41G,26S,27B. Well Done Men!

At halftime our men's basketball team lead Argentina 47 to 40 in a tough game. Let's hope we can win this one and play Spain for the Gold on Sunday.

After today there will be just 2 days left in the Olympics.

Phil C
08-10-2012, 04:21 PM
It looks like we are starting to pull away as we lead 74 to 57 at the end of the third quarter but we still can't underestimate them these final ten minutes. GO USA!!

It is almost 10:30 P.M. in London and I think there are no more medals to be determined tomorrow. I don't know if I can get 3A downlow on my other computer so someone else may have to update over the weekend. But we will see. Go USA!

Phil C
08-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Well the rout is now going on as we now lead 93 to 69 with about 5 minutes left in the game.

Phil C
08-10-2012, 04:36 PM
About 2 1/2 minutes left and we lead 101-73. Hopefully we can get out of these next few minutes without any injuries and we are going to the gold medal. Spain here we come! GO USA!

This has truly been a great Olympics and thanks to the Tour de France and the 2012 Olympics we have gotten through these difficults weeks and can soon start looking forward to football.

Phil C
08-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Final: USA 109 Argentina 83. Let's get the Gold Team USA!

Roughneck93
08-10-2012, 04:40 PM
My concerns didn't happen as our Women not only took the gold in the 4x100m relay they set a world record of 40.42 seconds! Well done Ladies!

Nice! :clap:

Phil C
08-10-2012, 04:46 PM
This is a darker side to the olympics that maybe the IOC should check out not just one particular country but several. Warning: Some may find this disturbing and not should look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n11TJPFxjRo&feature=related

Phil C
08-13-2012, 01:22 PM
We now know all the results as the Olympics for 2012 come to a close. A lot has been discussed also. We have the final medal results (pending final drug tests of coursee). The USA was dominate in medals winning the overall gold and silver counts. We got first place in the medal count at 104 (46G,29S,29B). Our women really helped us which is probably true for all the top teams but our men made contributions too such as Michael Phelps 6 medals.

China was second overall with 88 Medals. (38G,27S,23B).

Russia ended strong the last week to give China a closer race than expected with 82 Medals (24G,26S,32Bb) for third place. Russia's 32 Bronze medal count exceeded outs but we whipped them in the Gold count at 46 to 24.

The host Great Britain did great coming in fourth with 65 Medals (29G,17S,19B).

Fifth place went to Germany with 44 Medals (11G,19S,14B). No other team got in the 40 numbers.

In 2016 look for more USA success but China will still be working hard and wants to dominiate the games now and they will provide whatever resource, facilities, etc to make a try at it. They used to only want Gold Medals but now they want every medal that is available.

Since Brazil will be hosting it in 2016 look for them to really make a push in their athletics to get their share of medals like Great Britain did.

Phil C
08-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Thus the 2012 Olympics have ended and we can celebrate our fantastic successes in it. We won the overall medal counts as well as gold and silver metal counts.

Thanks to the Olympics and the Tour de France we have got through a diffcult month and a half but we are getting back to football very soon.

Now we have the Rio de Jenero, Brazile Olympics to look forward to in 2016. There will be surprises, disappointments and success but they should be great. Hopefully, see you then to enjoy another great event in 4 years.

hollywood
08-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Well done Phil C! Thanks for all the updates and your pessimistic hopefulness :(. :D

Cheers and it's about time for some football! Buzz around here is intensifying.

Phil C
08-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Just when you thought the 2012 olympics were over here comes some news about Michael Phelps carelessness. I don't think he will lose any medals but it is disgusting that these athletes don't be more watchful and careful about what they are doing and try to obey the rules that they should already know about.

http://www.yardbarker.com/olympics/articles/msn/michael_phelps_louis_vuitton_photo_shoot_could_spe ll_trouble_for_olympian_photos/11481817

RoyceTTU
08-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Just when you thought the 2012 olympics were over here comes some news about Michael Phelps carelessness. I don't think he will lose any medals but it is disgusting that these athletes don't be more watchful and careful about what they are doing and try to obey the rules that they should already know about.

http://www.yardbarker.com/olympics/articles/msn/michael_phelps_louis_vuitton_photo_shoot_could_spe ll_trouble_for_olympian_photos/11481817

what did he do wrong?

photos leaked, he didn't release them
The campaign was to start on the 16th.
Can't blame Phelps for some dumbass employee who thought it'd be cool to leak these in advance to be cool or to gain 10K

PhiI C
08-18-2012, 02:09 PM
what did he do wrong?

photos leaked, he didn't release them
The campaign was to start on the 16th.
Can't blame Phelps for some dumbass employee who thought it'd be cool to leak these in advance to be cool or to gain 10K

I hope you are right Royce and that is the way it happened.

Phil C
08-20-2012, 11:36 AM
More great news as Lebron James has really enjoyed his olympic experience and if healthy he wants to play for the USA in Rio de Jenero in 2016 Olympics. Wouldn't it be great if they add 3X3 to the 5X5 if he could play on both teams?

Phil C
08-27-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm posting this one because this was I feel our most overlooked olympic gold medal and I hope you enjoy it since this coverage was neglected by NBC. It is a good fight but they got it right because Claressa was the better boxer. Well done Claressa.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/boxing/full-fight-womens-75kg-final-shields-usa-vs-torlopova-rus.html