PDA

View Full Version : Magic Wandy gone from Astros

YTBulldogs
07-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Wandy Rodriguez (P) PIT 7/24/2012
Rodriguez was traded by the Astros to the Pirates on Tuesday, FOX Sports' Jon Morosi reports. Rodriguez had been rumored to be on the block for a while and his acquisition solidifies the Pittsburgh staff behind James McDonald and A.J. Burnett.

Now, there is nothing left to trade, unless a couple fungo's and some cases of baseballs. They depleted them all.

Roughneck93
07-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Didn't see your post YTB.

The last member of the 2005 WS team is gone...

YTBulldogs
07-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Didn't see your post YTB.

The last member of the 2005 WS team is gone...

NP, thought Wandy deserved his own thread. Great Astro and I'll miss him. But, glad he can go for a playoff with a solid team.

Roughneck93
07-24-2012, 09:32 PM
NP, thought Wandy deserved his own thread. Great Astro and I'll miss him. But, glad he can go for a playoff with a solid team.

Yeah good luck to him.

In return, Astros acquired three prospects. Pitchers Rudy Owens and Colton Cain and outfielder Robbie Grossman.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2012/07/24/pirates-said-to-be-focused-on-wandyrodriguez-in-search-for-pitching/

YTBulldogs
07-24-2012, 10:01 PM
The Astros also sent cash along in the deal to help pay for Rodriguez's contract, which essentially is $30 million through 2014, as his 2014 option is automatically triggered upon being dealt.

Hate when teams do this. Hell, if Pitt wants him, pay for him. Can't see eating millions just so someone else can play him. Have not heard the $$$ figures yet. Must be a lot since they didn't announce it yet.:foul:

Saggy Aggie
07-24-2012, 10:11 PM
First reaction is I don't think this was a good deal for the Astros. Paid too much of the remaining money and the prospects aren't special.

We'll see though. I'll read more about it and come to a better conclusion.

coach
07-25-2012, 12:54 AM

80-82 with a 4.02 era

I wouldn't call that great.

Almost as bad as calling hunter pence great

YTBulldogs
07-25-2012, 06:25 AM
80-82 with a 4.02 era

I wouldn't call that great.

Almost as bad as calling hunter pence great

Even more reason I wouldn't have paid money to rid myself of him. His record is pretty good when you see what he had around him the past 5 years.

Saggy Aggie
07-25-2012, 09:35 AM
He wasn't great in his early years with the Astros, but I think he had a winning record last year on a team that lost 106 games.

He's been a really good pitcher these last 4-5 years

regaleagle
07-25-2012, 11:34 AM
It's called getting rid of the "dead meat" and starting all over again. Wandy still carried some appeal and value, even with his heavy contract, so dealing him now was a judicious move to get something in return. You're still gonna be spending $$$ on him anyway, so might as well do the trade now. And now the Astros can begin to fill these positions, almost the whole team, with new fresh talent and rebuild for the future. So they are trading for young talent because their farm system cannot support the amount of positions they need to fill in the coming years. They also need young talent to trade with later for other acquisitions as they will be trading for to fill roster spots.