PDA

View Full Version : Navasota Question

CTS
07-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Curious what the folks in Rattler country are thinking...

It appears you guys are the ultimate "swing" team. Go big school and deal with Stephenville and Carthage. Go small school and deal with La Marque and Wimberley.

Do you guys have a preference? Is there a match-up that better favors you?

HEMOTOXIC
07-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Curious what the folks in Rattler country are thinking...

It appears you guys are the ultimate "swing" team. Go big school and deal with Stephenville and Carthage. Go small school and deal with La Marque and Wimberley.

Do you guys have a preference? Is there a match-up that better favors you?

First, I am sure more of the Rattler following will chime in once the season starts. We have gone Div I every season w/ 5 consecutive losses in the QF's. Losing to La Vega in OT, eventual champion Gilmer by 7, and Chapel Hill by 10, in which we lead in the 4th, were all heartbreakers.

In the La Vega loss, we had 1-2 (if my memory serves me right), of our huge linemen out of that game for various reason. One for sure for disciplinary. That was a huge blow to our run game.

In the Gilmer game, the whole town was pessimistic as we were going up against the #1 team in the state. No one believed that we had a shot.

Last year, against Chapel Hill, we had two turnovers on ko return that lead Chapel Hill to a 13-0 lead. We ended up taking the lead going into halftime, but, were not able to hold on. I believe that we only 1-2 rushing attempts the entire game.

With that said, we are hungry for a title. The last time we were in the championship was in 1988 as we lost to Southlake Carroll.

Personally, I am tired of seeing EAST TEXAS teams.

Now, if we were to go DIV I, we would have to deal with the likes of:
Waco La Vega in the first round
Carthage in round two
Yates, Columbia, El Campo, Kilgore & Stephenville, etc.

Going Div II would probably pit us China Spring, Robinson, Connally, or Lorena in the first round.
Then, you can see any of the following teams: Jasper, WOS, Coldspring, La Marque, Wimberley, Gilmer, Henderson, Bellville, Liberty Hill, Brownwood, etc.

So, I guess it's truly, choose your poison. Going Div I, you are hit with two very good teams to start the playoffs.

In Div 2, It really gets tough starting in week 2 with a possible matchup with WOS...

So, I would like us to go Div II. Not that it will be any easier, but, I just think that we would fare better in Div II with the possible matchups.

Go Taylor Ducks!

CTS
07-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Very good post. Appreciate all the insight. I think it's interesting how a team like Taylor can affect so many scenarios.

HEMOTOXIC
07-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Very good post. Appreciate all the insight. I think it's interesting how a team like Taylor can affect so many scenarios.

Hey, we owe La Marque from the 1997 loss @ Sam Houston.

Aesculus gilmus
07-25-2012, 07:17 AM
In the Gilmer game, the whole town was pessimistic as we were going up against the #1 team in the state. No one believed that we had a shot.

Some people in Gilmer may have been overconfident about Navasota in 2009, but I know for a fact our coach was not.

And he was right. It turned out to be a helluva game that could have gone either way. DB Ben Griffith making that key stop on fourth down when y'all were driving to the tying TD in the 4th qtr was the play of the game, IMO.

Definitely you are right, I'd say, to want to go Division II this season. Maybe you'll even play the Buckeyes again, although no one is predicting that since it'd have to be in the championship game.

HEMOTOXIC
07-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Hey, we owe La Marque from the 1997 loss @ Sam Houston.

Sorry, that was actually 1996.

HEMOTOXIC
07-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Some people in Gilmer may have been overconfident about Navasota in 2009, but I know for a fact our coach was not.

And he was right. It turned out to be a helluva game that could have gone either way. DB Ben Griffith making that key stop on fourth down when y'all were driving to the tying TD in the 4th qtr was the play of the game, IMO.

Definitely you are right, I'd say, to want to go Division II this season. Maybe you'll even play the Buckeyes again, although no one is predicting that since it'd have to be in the championship game.

Yes, what a stop on 4th down!!!! I still remember that like it was yesterday.

Saggy Aggie
07-25-2012, 10:32 AM
I just wanna play navasota already!

WC and Navasota can duke it out at the Berry Center in cypress

HEMOTOXIC
07-25-2012, 10:42 AM
I just wanna play navasota already!

WC and Navasota can duke it out at the Berry Center in cypress

Excellent location. Navasota vs WC would make for a very interesting contest.

coog4eva
07-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Sorry, that was actually 1996.

Yes it was......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wYWdltnvglg

courtesy of CoogSports.net

Roughneck93
07-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Yes it was......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wYWdltnvglg

courtesy of CoogSports.net

Nice hit by #26 at the 1:45 mark...

navscanmaster
08-02-2012, 04:38 AM
Ughhhh, that 96 game. That was some ridiculous talent that Navasota was up against. I think LM had 5 players go D1 from that team. Jauron Reed, Dwaine Goines, Roylin Bradley, the QB (Roderick something)

HEMOTOXIC
08-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Ughhhh, that 96 game. That was some ridiculous talent that Navasota was up against. I think LM had 5 players go D1 from that team. Jauron Reed, Dwaine Goines, Roylin Bradley, the QB (Roderick something)

Where have you been?

coog4eva
08-02-2012, 03:03 PM

You are correct.
UTEP,Texas A&M, Texas A&M and NC State

OldBison75
08-02-2012, 09:41 PM
It doesn't matter which side of the brackets we end up in, both are gonna be loaded with talent. Week one in Division 2 might be okay, but every week after that will be tough competition. Division 1 will be tough every week from the start.

Navasota has the potential to be very good. Probably better than last year overall. But, so many things have to go your way for the result to be the Championship. That, coupled with what I believe are at least nine teams that have as much or more talent available makes this year a real fight. There are gonna be some damned good teams that lose early in the playoffs because of the competition. Region 3 is loaded in both divisions and just getting out of that region is gonna be a real battle.

I guess I would pick Division 2 just because we would see some new teams. We darned sure won't see weaker teams.

HEMOTOXIC
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
It doesn't matter which side of the brackets we end up in, both are gonna be loaded with talent. Week one in Division 2 might be okay, but every week after that will be tough competition. Division 1 will be tough every week from the start.

Navasota has the potential to be very good. Probably better than last year overall. But, so many things have to go your way for the result to be the Championship. That, coupled with what I believe are at least nine teams that have as much or more talent available makes this year a real fight. There are gonna be some damned good teams that lose early in the playoffs because of the competition. Region 3 is loaded in both divisions and just getting out of that region is gonna be a real battle.

I guess I would pick Division 2 just because we would see some new teams. We darned sure won't see weaker teams.

:iagree: