PDA

View Full Version : Cisco Junior College

Necks88Fan
07-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Can any of you Abiline folks tell me anything, good or bad, about Cisco junior college. Wanting to know mostly about their baseball program but any other notable things would be appreciated as well.

3 and out
07-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Coach White is an great baseball coach and also a great guy!!

jason
07-20-2012, 10:17 PM
it's a junior college
like getting diploma when you 'graduate' from junior high

Necks88Fan
07-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Coach White is an great baseball coach and also a great guy!!

Yeah, had the opportunity to talk with him a few weeks back at the Brenham combine. I really liked the guy from the git-go. Even though he approached us and showed a lot of interest in our son and invited us to come up, he didn't just try to channel us in one direction or the other. I was looking for a little more info on the program, the college as a whole and the community around it. I'm guessing football is the pride of the school but is the baseball program a strong point as well?

bigwood33
07-24-2012, 06:49 AM
You might have better luck getting some input on the program from folks over on the 2A board, texas2afootball.com
There is a regular poster nicknamed jcisco that you could PM who could probably provide a little insight. Cisco is a town of almost 4000 about 50 miles east of Abilene and 50 miles north of Brownwood. Like most small towns, it may be a hard sell to kids who aren't from there or the area. If your son hasn't spent any time in West Texas or the Big Country (Abilene area), he would probably think he was in the desert. The biggest issue for a kid will probably be homesickness, being 350 miles from home might be a little difficult. I'm pretty sure the college is primarily a commuter school and I'm not real sure what kind if campus life exists. See if they have any other kids from your part of the state that your son can visit with to see how they like it.

Gsquared
07-24-2012, 06:51 AM
You might have better luck getting some input on the program from folks over on the 2A board, texas2afootball.com
There is a regular poster nicknamed jcisco that you could PM who could probably provide a little insight. Cisco is a town of almost 4000 about 50 miles east of Abilene and 50 miles north of Brownwood. Like most small towns, it may be a hard sell to kids who aren't from there or the area. If your son hasn't spent any time in West Texas or the Big Country (Abilene area), he would probably think he was in the desert. The biggest issue for a kid will probably be homesickness. Being 350 miles from home might be a little difficult. I'm pretty sure the college is primarily a commuter school and I'm not real sure what kind if campus life exists. See if they have any other kids from your part of the state that your son can visit with to see how they like it.

Bigwood, you ever been to the Dairy Queen in Cisco? All the old men that drink coffee at the DQ hang thier coffee cups on the wall. One wall is all coffee cups with different names on them.

bigwood33
07-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Bigwood, you ever been to the Dairy Queen in Cisco? All the old men that drink coffee at the DQ hang thier coffee cups on the wall. One wall is all coffee cups with different names on them.
Yes and Cisco also has one of the only Sonic's that I have ever seen with a dining room. The only other one I have seen was attached to a convenience store/gas station...the one in Cisco is a "stand alone" location, unique.

Gsquared
07-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Yes and Cisco also has one of the only Sonic's that I have ever seen with a dining room. The only other one I have seen was attached to a convenience store/gas station...the one in Cisco is a "stand alone" location, unique.
A sonic with a dining room???? Sounds like a bigwood date night!!!!

bigwood33
07-24-2012, 07:02 AM
A sonic with a dining room???? Sounds like a bigwood date night!!!!
Mrs bigwood33 knows that a night at the Sonic in Cisco means an Extra Long Cheese Coney with extra mustard for her! :wave:

Gsquared
07-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Mrs bigwood33 knows that a night at the Sonic in Cisco means an Extra Long Cheese Coney with extra mustard for her! :wave:
Dang man, you are Mr. Romance, you are making all us other dudes look really bad sir.

Ville-D
07-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Can any of you Abiline folks tell me anything, good or bad, about Cisco junior college. Wanting to know mostly about their baseball program but any other notable things would be appreciated as well.

I grew up in Eastland and from what I remember (20 something years ago)... 1) it is definitely a commuter school - probably about 10% of kids live there. 2) From what I remember Ranger College (about 20 miles down the road) was more of a baseball school. - but Ranger would be a horrible place to send your kid - IMO.

Hornet Mom 2
07-24-2012, 01:09 PM
We went there in May for a baseball visit with our son. The program is good, they ended up ranked 3rd in the country at the end of the season. Cody was not interested in attending there...his words - "I have lived in a small town all my life, I don't want to move to another one." Typical 17-year old answer, but the decision was his to make. The coaches seemed to be very up-front with their information when we visited. Coach White actually said that you have to like the small town atmosphere to go to school there. Just my .02.

Necks88Fan
07-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks for all the input.

jason
07-26-2012, 04:33 PM
if you're looking at cisco then take a look at Tarleton, it's just right down the road.
baseball program has improved and they were pretty good last year - good school too.

toddg
07-26-2012, 05:18 PM
I grew up in Eastland and from what I remember (20 something years ago)... 1) it is definitely a commuter school - probably about 10% of kids live there. 2) From what I remember Ranger College (about 20 miles down the road) was more of a baseball school. - but Ranger would be a horrible place to send your kid - IMO.

whats wrong with Ranger Ville-D? come on now..i have lots of family there..its a nice town...man..

Ville-D
07-26-2012, 05:52 PM
whats wrong with Ranger Ville-D? come on now..i have lots of family there..its a nice town...man..

Nothing is wrong if you need beer or d0pe or crack. :tisk:

(first one is ok, but...)

toddg
07-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Nothing is wrong if you need beer or d0pe or crack. :tisk:

(first one is ok, but...)

there are a high number of plumbers there and they aint too bright..

Gone Fishing
07-27-2012, 10:10 AM
if you're looking at cisco then take a look at Tarleton, it's just right down the road.
baseball program has improved and they were pretty good last year - good school too.
Tarletan is a great school to attend. Not too big not to small.

jason
07-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Tarletan is a great school to attend. Not too big not to small.

*TarletOn

garciap77
07-27-2012, 10:19 PM
It's a place where many Abilene kids go to save money, before they go to Abilene Christian University, McMurry University, or Hardin–Simmons University.