PDA

View Full Version : The Dodge Effect

Cam
07-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Well, so far, the "Oh Toddy will you please coach my kid & make him a star?" parents have been few. I might be wrong, but defections from the surrounding towns haven't been as rampant as I was expecting. Looks like Marble Falls is getting some kids. Heard QB from Salado is there. Another kid from another town I can't recall. Burnet has had two or three middle schoolers go and a former Burnet school board member has his boy enrolled at Marble too.........anyways, anybody else know of anyone making the move to Dodgeland? No way my last kid is goin' there! If he had to wear purple, it would be at LH.....but man I hate that color!:D
LH backers, I've heard you've lost some boys but for other reasons. Got any info?

toddg
07-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Well, so far, the "Oh Toddy will you please coach my kid & make him a star?" parents have been few. I might be wrong, but defections from the surrounding towns haven't been as rampant as I was expecting. Looks like Marble Falls is getting some kids. Heard QB from Salado is there. Another kid from another town I can't recall. Burnet has had two or three middle schoolers go and a former Burnet school board member has his boy enrolled at Marble too.........anyways, anybody else know of anyone making the move to Dodgeland? No way my last kid is goin' there! If he had to wear purple, it would be at LH.....but man I hate that color!:D
LH backers, I've heard you've lost some boys but for other reasons. Got any info?

if the oppertunity arose id love my 3 sons to be coached by Dodge..he is an excellent coach...better than the coaches at the teams you mentioned.

Cam
07-18-2012, 12:15 PM
if the oppertunity arose id love my 3 sons to be coached by Dodge..he is an excellent coach...better than the coaches at the teams you mentioned.

I know a good real estate agent in Marble!

Old Tiger
07-18-2012, 12:16 PM
I like Bluebonnet Cafe

bigwood33
07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
I like Bluebonnet Cafe
Don't we all!

toddg
07-18-2012, 12:56 PM
I know a good real estate agent in Marble!

do you know anyone with a job opening too?! my wife is a PE teacher any openings for that also...:D

Cam
07-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Don't we all!

Last time I ate there, I almost started a food fight!.....I accidently flipped some mashed taters (don't ask me how!) towards the table next to me hittin' an old lady on the forearm...the old man & whom I think was his son turned around lookin' like they were gonna kill me!....Then they saw the three nasty-lookin' dark-skinned fellas I was with that they probably thought were wielding switch-blades. So, the old fella mumbled something, his boy said nothin', and both turned around to finish their piece of pie..and I must say, that was some nice lookin' pie!!......I still said I was sorry!...The old lady looked like she pissed at her man for not doing something about it!....I was at the ready with my greenbeans!.........and that's why it's not good to stereo-type other folks cause it only makes you skeered of them!....:tisk:....Them boys I was with were a bunch of teddy bears!...A civil engineer, his brother a doctor, and a businessman buddy from high school!...........I like the Bluebonnet...... :D

hollywood
07-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Heard a QB from Erath county heading that way.

panfan
07-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Have not heard of loosing anyone.

Rabid Cougar
07-18-2012, 10:38 PM

My son played for him at North Texas. We saw how that worked out. I hope he is successful at Marble Falls.

Tejastrue
07-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Some coaches are just destined to be, and only be, successful high school coaches, and from my viewpoint, that is just fine.

Cam
07-19-2012, 09:51 AM
My son played for him at North Texas. We saw how that worked out. I hope he is successful at Marble Falls.

For the kids sakes, I hope he is successful at Marble too. Those kids have had some tough years for sure. They deserve better. But let's hope their success stops when they play their hated next door neighbor and longtime rival, little ol 3A Burnet!....When those two get together, won-loss records and everything else goes out the door!...During my son's senior year game vs. Marble (a brutally hard fought 16-7 Burnet win), he had to be helped off the field late in the game....He left it all on the field as he usually did.....It was a 14-7 game late in the game until a safety sealed the victory.....

Old Tiger
07-19-2012, 09:53 AM
For the kids sakes, I hope he is successful at Marble too. Those kids have had some tough years for sure. They deserve better. But let's hope their success stops when they play their hated next door neighbor and longtime rival, little ol 3A Burnet!....When those two get together, won-loss records and everything else goes out the door!...During my son's senior year game vs. Marble (a brutally hard fought 16-7 Burnet win), he had to be helped off the field late in the game....He left it all on the field as he usually did.....It was a 14-7 game late in the game until a safety sealed the victory.....Wasn't Todd really only successful at SLC?

Rabid Cougar
07-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Wasn't Todd really only successful at SLC?

Yes. He stepped into an already powerful program there and pushed it higher, 79-1 and four SC in five years. Didn't do so hot at Cameron or Naaman Forest in Garland and only won 6 games in five years at North Texas. Again, he gave my son a chance at UNT and I am very grateful for that. However, there is a night and day difference in the way things are run in Denton now.

Cam
07-19-2012, 10:25 AM

I think he had two other stints as HC but I don't really know his history that well.....One thing for sure, if you give him the talent, he knows what to do with it...case in point, SLC!........I hope he's in it for the long haul and doesn't bail on Marble before things get rollin' there...It woulda been interesting to have him in Burnet but I woulda had the fear if him leaving too soon...I'm just not sure what a guy like him really wants since he's pretty much done it all already......Plus, I like the upside of our new coach (Jones). Jones is an ex-All State player at Brownwood, he's been in Burnet for over 11 years now, he's been to two state championships as an asst. coach during the Burnet/Shipley era so he knows what it takes to get there, he's very young with his whole future ahead of him, and the kids like him from what I'm hearing.....so, I'm excited!

NastySlot
07-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Yeah " the Dodge Effect" wasn t too impressive at Cameron, Newman Smith or Fossil Ridge

Ernest T Bass
07-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Yes. He stepped into an already powerful program there and pushed it higher, 79-1 and four SC in five years. Didn't do so hot at Cameron or Naaman Forest in Garland and only won 6 games in five years at North Texas. Again, he gave my son a chance at UNT and I am very grateful for that. However, there is a night and day difference in the way things are run in Denton now.

He was never in Garland. He was at Cameron and made the playoffs in his last year there, Newman Smith and didn't make the playoffs there(only one coach has EVER made the playoffs there), and Fossil Ridge where he also made the playoffs. He took over at SLC for Tom Rapp who had missed the playoffs in 4a the previous 2 seasons. They improved each year at SLC and won the state championship in their first year in 5a.

Rabid Cougar
07-19-2012, 03:31 PM
He was never in Garland. He was at Cameron and made the playoffs in his last year there, Newman Smith and didn't make the playoffs there(only one coach has EVER made the playoffs there), and Fossil Ridge where he also made the playoffs. He took over at SLC for Tom Rapp who had missed the playoffs in 4a the previous 2 seasons. They improved each year at SLC and won the state championship in their first year in 5a.

My bad.

LH Panther Mom
07-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Graduation! :D

NastySlot
07-19-2012, 09:50 PM

I know it was a long time ago but I think Smith made the playoffs around 83 and I think Bubba Fife was the head coach.

footballfine09
07-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Qb from Erath county? As in Dublin or Hico?

olddawggreen
07-21-2012, 03:40 PM

Dodge started at UNT December 12, 2006 and was released October 20, 2010.

olddawggreen
07-21-2012, 04:12 PM
I think he had two other stints as HC but I don't really know his history that well.....One thing for sure, if you give him the talent, he knows what to do with it...case in point, SLC!........I hope he's in it for the long haul and doesn't bail on Marble before things get rollin' there...It woulda been interesting to have him in Burnet but I woulda had the fear if him leaving too soon...I'm just not sure what a guy like him really wants since he's pretty much done it all already......Plus, I like the upside of our new coach (Jones). Jones is an ex-All State player at Brownwood, he's been in Burnet for over 11 years now, he's been to two state championships as an asst. coach during the Burnet/Shipley era so he knows what it takes to get there, he's very young with his whole future ahead of him, and the kids like him from what I'm hearing.....so, I'm excited!

I think what a guy like him wants, is to coach at a high school in the hill country, close to family, in a town that supports him and his program and is excited about the prospect of watching their team improving each year. Last time I saw him he appeared to be a pretty happy camper. Lots of excitement in Marble Falls these days. There should be lots of excitement in Burnet also, I'm pretty sure Jones will be a huge improvement over the last HC. Jones has the know how, he's tough but fair, he also learned pleanty during the Shipley years, which will benefit him in the years to come. He knows how to win. I would imagine one of his biggest challenges he faces now will be to get the numbers up and the spark back in the program and I think Jones can do it. Congrats to the Dogs on a great run in 7 on 7 this summer!

olddawggreen
07-21-2012, 04:21 PM

Don't hold me to it, but it seems I remember hearing that the Mustangs had about 11 move ins before spring football. Not sure of the details.

footballfine09
07-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Don't hold me to it, but it seems I remember hearing that the Mustangs had about 11 move ins before spring football. Not sure of the details.

Any of those gonna amount to much?

Sville
07-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Qb from Erath county? As in Dublin or Hico?

Hick-o is in Hamilton County sir, but it could of been a transfer from the mighty Lingleville Cardinals. ;)