PDA

View Full Version : Ex-A&M coaches DeRuyter and Toth: "It's easier to recruit for Fresno St than A&M"

big daddy russ
07-17-2012, 01:08 AM
“People talk about being a mid-major, but it’s unbelievable the reception we get when we talk to California high schools and California junior colleges,” Toth said. “It was better here, how we’ve been received, than it was when we got to Texas A&M. That’s not B.S.

“When we got to A&M, high school coaches wanted to give us their I-AA players. Here it’s been the opposite. Recruiting for me has been one of the most encouraging things for me as we go into spring.”

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2012/02/former-texas-am-football-coach-when-we-g.html/

Does this say something bad about A&M, about Texas HS coaches, or about both?

Bull Butter
07-17-2012, 02:01 AM
It just sounds like someone trying to make their new fan base feel good

bigwood33
07-17-2012, 06:11 AM
It just sounds like someone trying to make their new fan base feel good
I tend to agree. HS coaches in Texas generally want what is best for their kids and promote them to everyone, when given the opportunity. I suppose that, in a couple of years, we'll see. If Fresno becomes a top 20 team and A&M doesn't, there may be more substance to his comments than I think.

Aesculus gilmus
07-17-2012, 07:09 AM
I would say it's the culture, to a large extent. A&M prides itself on spreading the "Aggie" religion in all its glory. Ask yourself how this is compatible AT ALL with the interests of most of the athletes (particularly at the skill positions) that it is trying to recruit.

College Station is a very strange place. I was a student myself there briefly as a freshman (a decision I attribute to temporary insanity). Four years later, I was graduating from the hated "TU" up the road. We at "TU" do not make a religion out of our university. And I think it is obvious that Austin is a place that is more compatible with what the talented athletes coming out of high schools in Texas (and certainly this would be true IN SPADES if one were from California) want in a university experience.

The one hope I see for Texas A&M is that maybe they now have a recruiting entree into the culturally-more-similar-to-Aggieland southeastern states, including the big one, Florida. I also think the Sumlin hire was a good one. I actually do wish the Aggies success. From the standpoint of being a Texan and not just a UT alum, nothing would be more delicious than watching A&M improbably roll to one SEC title after another.

Rabid Cougar
07-17-2012, 09:06 AM
I would say it's the culture, to a large extent. A&M prides itself on spreading the "Aggie" religion in all its glory. Ask yourself how this is compatible AT ALL with the interests of most of the athletes (particularly at the skill positions) that it is trying to recruit.

College Station is a very strange place. I was a student myself there briefly as a freshman (a decision I attribute to temporary insanity). Four years later, I was graduating from the hated "TU" up the road. We at "TU" do not make a religion out of our university. And I think it is obvious that Austin is a place that is more compatible with what the talented athletes coming out of high schools in Texas (and certainly this would be true IN SPADES if one were from California) want in a university experience.

The one hope I see for Texas A&M is that maybe they now have a recruiting entree into the culturally-more-similar-to-Aggieland southeastern states, including the big one, Florida. I also think the Sumlin hire was a good one. I actually do wish the Aggies success. From the standpoint of being a Texan and not just a UT alum, nothing would be more delicious than watching A&M improbably roll to one SEC title after another.

Have you ever been on the campus' of any of the ACC and SEC schools and the towns that they are in? Same for Big 10 schools. Pretty much look just like the A&M campus and College Station; certainly NOT Austin. And what about Waco, Texas and Morgantown, West Virginia? How do you explain those places?

Athletes in general will have their preferences in regards to atmosphere and social life of the local community. Sometimes that does make a difference in their selection of the school they want to play for with everything else even. However, the vast majority of the time it is the interest the coaching staff pays to them, the cache of the team, facilities and the oppertunity to play. That last one is the big one. Makes them think long and hard.

The only thing Sumlin and Kingsbury will impact on A&M is that they will certainly be recruiting gunslinger QBs, huge linemen and lots of WRs.

NastySlot
07-17-2012, 09:43 AM
If I m not mistaken this was said a few months ago. Now I don't get too excited on recruiting and verbals but hasn t the new Aggie staff hit the ground running and done a decent job so far? Might say something about the recruiting job of the previous coaches idk. what's Fresno s commit list look like

Macarthur
07-17-2012, 10:43 AM

As others have said, I think you are being really narrow on this. CS is not a whole lot different than many other college towns. Most major colleges are situated in 'small town' enviorments. Austin is the exception, not the rule.

The coaches comments strike me as them just stoking the fires for the fan base. Go check out their recruiting. Their 2012 class was less than stellar and they've got 1 committment now for 2013. These issues sure haven't slowed down Sumlin.

coachc45
07-17-2012, 10:54 AM
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2012/02/former-texas-am-football-coach-when-we-g.html/

If you read the article it specifically states "When we 1st got to aTm"..... that is more of an indictment on the previous staff as opposed to aTm itself. Coach Fran was widely known to pursue the 2 and 3 star talent. He got into that habit at TCU and was convinced that he could win at aTm recruiting the same type of talent. HS coasches were tired of touting their top kids to aTm and not getting an offer, and watching them take less talented kids.

It took time for Sherman's crew to win the hs coaches back over.....but they did.

Phil C
07-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Or maybe something bad about the former A&M recruiters.

ronwx5x
07-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Just musing, as I am not in the know. Seems it would be easier to recruit 2 and 3 star kids for Fresno State as there are fewer recruiters chasing them. Fresno State has had some good teams but I doubt they were built on 5 star recruits, rather with overachieving lower ranked kids. If I'm incorrect I feel sure somone in the know will correct me.

coachc45
07-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Just musing, as I am not in the know. Seems it would be easier to recruit 2 and 3 star kids for Fresno State as there are fewer recruiters chasing them. Fresno State has had some good teams but I doubt they were built on 5 star recruits, rather with overachieving lower ranked kids. If I'm incorrect I feel sure somone in the know will correct me.

You are absolutely correct. Fresno State at this point gets more 2 and 3 stars than anything, and have done well with them. DeRuyter was talking about how at aTm it was hard for them to get 4 and 5 star guys at first because of Franchione. Now as far as getting fewer people recruiting them, that is true and also untrue. The big schools still go after 3 star guys as well as all the mid-majors. So there are more people recruiting the 3 star guys, but there is also a ton more of those guys, so I guess it balances out in the end.

lostaussie
07-17-2012, 02:41 PM
College Station is a very strange place. Wow.............Thats the pot calling the kettle black for sure:thinking:

Saggy Aggie
07-17-2012, 02:56 PM
It just sounds like someone trying to make their new fan base feel good+1

If you look at a&ms recruiting class, I'd say we're getting it done

Old Tiger
07-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Left under Sherman (7) Lorenzo Phillips 4 star (LSU) Davante Bourque 4 star (Tenn) Denzel Devall 4 star (Bama) Eric Davis 3 star (Okie St) Jerald Hawkins 3 star (LSU) Trevor Knight 4 star (OU) Marcus Johnson 3 star (Texas)

Left under Sumlin (5) Colin Blake 4 star (FSU) Darion Monroe 4 star (Tulane) Corey Thompson 3 star (LSU) Michael Wilson 3 star (Okie St) Bralon Addison 4 star (Oregon)

Will not qualify academically (8) per TexAgs Marion Grice 4 star (AZ St) Eddie Porter 3 star (Ark St) Adrian Bellard 3 star (Texas St) Dennis Smith 3 star Logan David 3 star Jaevon Richardson 3 star Trent Momon 3 star Troy Green 3 star

Rabid Cougar
07-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Left under Sherman (7) Lorenzo Phillips 4 star (LSU) Davante Bourque 4 star (Tenn) Denzel Devall 4 star (Bama) Eric Davis 3 star (Okie St) Jerald Hawkins 3 star (LSU) Trevor Knight 4 star (OU) Marcus Johnson 3 star (Texas)

Left under Sumlin (5) Colin Blake 4 star (FSU) Darion Monroe 4 star (Tulane) Corey Thompson 3 star (LSU) Michael Wilson 3 star (Okie St) Bralon Addison 4 star (Oregon)

Will not qualify academically (8) per TexAgs Marion Grice 4 star (AZ St) Eddie Porter 3 star (Ark St) Adrian Bellard 3 star (Texas St) Dennis Smith 3 star Logan David 3 star Jaevon Richardson 3 star Trent Momon 3 star Troy Green 3 star

And why do they transfer? Because they don't get the playing time they think they deserve. This is not not something that is indicative of A&M. How many 4 and 5 star QBs left Texas when the McCoys were annoited QB's by Brown? UNT has gotten several highly rated transfers from Texas, Oklahoma, Purdue and Arkansas this past off season. Sam Houston is chocked full of D-1 transfers from all across the Big 12.

coachc45
07-17-2012, 04:36 PM

What is your point? Every school in the country has recruits leave for one reason or another....that is not an aggie thing.

And how did Eric Davis leave? He was at John Tyler last year, I was coaching him.

Aesculus gilmus
07-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Wow.............Thats the pot calling the kettle black for sure:thinking:

Austin is not strange. It is "weird."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Austin_Weird

Old Tiger
07-18-2012, 07:47 AM
And why do they transfer? Because they don't get the playing time they think they deserve. This is not not something that is indicative of A&M. How many 4 and 5 star QBs left Texas when the McCoys were annoited QB's by Brown? UNT has gotten several highly rated transfers from Texas, Oklahoma, Purdue and Arkansas this past off season. Sam Houston is chocked full of D-1 transfers from all across the Big 12.These aren't transfers

They are decommits from A&M 2012 class alone as well as players who will not qualify.

We will see what happens throughout the 2012 season and how many 2013 recruits decommit as well. Looking at the class already for 2013 it appears that 3-4 are grade risk and won't qualify including your top recruit Derrick Griffin.

Rabid Cougar
07-18-2012, 11:19 AM
These aren't transfers

They are decommits from A&M 2012 class alone as well as players who will not qualify.

We will see what happens throughout the 2012 season and how many 2013 recruits decommit as well. Looking at the class already for 2013 it appears that 3-4 are grade risk and won't qualify including your top recruit Derrick Griffin.

If they cannot make the already reduced academic admission standards for athletes, they don't deserve to be in school. It's that simple.

coachc45
07-18-2012, 11:32 AM
These aren't transfers

Decommitts aren't losses....if you never had them how can you lose them.