PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Coasting?

Bullaholic
07-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Sure hope the Rangers are just coasting thru the All-Star break. Still up 4 on the Angels but getting to be time to win a few to keep the lead...

toddg
07-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Sure hope the Rangers are just coasting thru the All-Star break. Still up 4 on the Angels but getting to be time to win a few to keep the lead...

the bats are starting to wake up..they will be all right!

regaleagle
07-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I said it early on, and still think the Angels will be there at the end. The Rangers will need to start the second half strong with their 10-game West coast road swing. It will be against the division opponents and a very important 10 games in their schedule.

Macarthur
07-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I don't know if coasting is the right word. With as many games as they play, there is no way to maintain ultimate focus and intensity for 162 games. The season is a marathon.

The bats have been quite. I think you have to look at the history of these guys: Young should have a better 2nd half, Napoli can't be worse, Nellie is due to get on a hot streak, Josh is due to hit another hot streak, Ian has been coming around.

I don't think the Angles can keep up the pace that they have been for the last 6 weeks or so. I read something this weekend that they may have trouble brewing when Wells comes off the DL. Who do they sit?

orange machine
07-09-2012, 10:18 AM
I would sit Wells.

Macarthur
07-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I would sit Wells.

I think if it's just on the field considerations, you're right. However, Wells will make just north of +$20 million this year and is on the books for another +$20 million next year.

Macarthur
07-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Actually, I think Wells is on the books through 2014 so they have 2 more years after this one!!!!

Roughneck93
07-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Angels schedule is pretty tough to open the second half of the season. Yankees, Tigers, and Rangers. A series with the Royals, then it's the Rays, Rangers and White Sox. We'll see what they are made of.

eagleqb_14
07-09-2012, 06:11 PM
i think their going to come out STRONG after the break

SintonFan_inAustin
07-09-2012, 09:30 PM
If Napoli can get going like he did last year after the all star break, the offense will be stronger. Napoli has came up alot of times with opportunities to bring in runs and missing pitches he was crushing late last season. Pitching i was hoping that Holland would be more consistant but he hasn't, if a trade can be done i hope they can trade him for a top line pitcher. How about Holland plus Olt and Grimm for King Felix?

regaleagle
07-09-2012, 09:37 PM
I somehow don't beleive the Mariners are gonna give up "King" Felix to the Rangers for that paltry bit. I doubt they would trade Felix to the Rangers, period. Unless it was with Hamilton involved....maybe.

Roughneck93
07-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Reading reports that the Rangers are showing interest in Cole Hamels and Zack Greinke.

Gobblerfan
07-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Well, they need to win the World Series soon! Geez!

Saggy Aggie
07-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Reading reports that the Rangers are showing interest in Cole Hamels and Zack Greinke.Are they gonna have to give up Profar to get either one?

I believe he's rated as the 2nd best prospect in all of baseball

Roughneck93
07-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Are they gonna have to give up Profar to get either one?

I believe he's rated as the 2nd best prospect in all of baseball

I couldn't see them parting ways with Profar, Mike Olt or Leonys Martin. Don't think the Rangers are willing to trade them.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-10-2012, 01:02 AM
I couldn't see them parting ways with Profar, Mike Olt or Leonys Martin. Don't think the Rangers are willing to trade them.Phillies are asking for Mike Olt and the trade will happen. I don't think they will trade any of the 3 you mention unless the pitching doesn't improve from Holland and Oswalt. Feliz need to go back to the pen with Ogando. Rangers need to have a A+ bullpen and that would have to be moving those 2 in there.

waterboy
07-10-2012, 09:39 AM
I think the Rangers are sitting right where they expected to be in the standings at this point in the season. The thing is they've done this with three starting pitchers, and I think their best reliever on the DL for weeks. Once the pitching comes back to full strength, I think the Rangers will go on another good streak. I think it's just a matter of time before a couple of the hitters get their timing back, and once that happens I think there will be a couple more that will get their bats going. If this team starts the second half like they did the first half, they could possibly hit the 100-win plateau. The Angels will likely continue to put pressure on the Rangers to perform, and I think that is a good thing. As hot as the Angels have been for the last six weeks or so, they are still 4 games behind. If the Rangers can keep them at bay like that, the pressure will fall on the Angels to perform. It's got to be disheartening to know you went on a six-week streak like the Angels did, and still trail in the standings to the Rangers, knowing the injuries the Rangers have had.

Farmersfan
07-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Injuries are not an excuse. The Ranger's injuries have not been any worse than the rest of MLB.

Texas Rangers
Updated Player Pos Injury Expected Return
06/23/12 Neftali Feliz SP Elbow 60-day DL. Out until at least early July
07/08/12 Michael Kirkman RP Quadriceps Questionable for July 13 at Seattle
07/08/12 Colby Lewis SP Forearm 15-day DL. Expected to return for July 18 start at Oakland
07/06/12 Alexi Ogando RP Groin 15-day DL. Expected to begin Triple-A rehab assignment July 12
06/29/12 Mark Lowe RP Ribcage 15-day DL. Out until at least early July
06/22/12 Mitch Moreland 1B Hamstring 15-day DL. Out until at least late July
06/15/12 Koji Uehara RP Back 15-day DL. Out until at least early July

Los Angeles Angels
07/05/12 Michael Kohn RP Forearm 15-day DL. Out for season
07/05/12 Dan Haren SP Back 15-day DL. Out until at least mid-July
07/08/12 Chris Iannetta C Wrist, forearm 15-day DL. Out until at least late July
07/02/12 Jeremy Moore CF Hip 60-day DL. Out until at least late July
07/08/12 Vernon Wells LF Thumb 60-day DL. Out until at least late July
07/02/12 Jerome Williams SP Illness, forearm 15-day DL. On Triple-A rehab assignment

Oakland Athletics
06/23/12 Dallas Braden SP Shoulder 60-day DL. Out until at least early July
07/02/12 Andrew Carignan RP Elbow 60-day DL. Out until at least late July
07/08/12 Yoenis Cespedes CF Thumb Questionable for July 13 at Minnesota
07/08/12 Collin Cowgill CF Ankle 15-day DL. Expected to begin Class A rehab assignment July 9
06/28/12 Brandon McCarthy SP Shoulder 15-day DL. Out until at least mid-July
05/15/12 Joey Devine RP Biceps, elbow 60-day DL. Out for season
03/13/12 Brett Anderson SP Elbow 60-day DL. Out until at least early August
03/03/12 Scott Sizemore 3B Knee 60-day DL. Out for season

Seattle Mariners
07/05/12 Mike Carp LF Shoulder 15-day DL. On Triple-A rehab assignment
07/03/12 Franklin Gutierrez CF Head 7-day DL. Out until at least mid-July
07/08/12 Jesus Montero DH Concussion Questionable for July 13 vs. Texas
07/02/12 Stephen Pryor RP Groin 15-day DL. Out until at least mid-July
07/01/12 Erasmo Ramirez RP Elbow 15-day DL. Out until at least mid-July
06/01/12 George Sherrill RP Elbow 60-day DL. Out for season

Macarthur
07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Injuries are not an excuse.

Right. No other team is giving any sympathy to the Rangers. I think the injury situation speaks to the depth and just how good this team can be. They've had injury problems plus they've had several hitters in extended slumps - Young, Nap, Cruz, Josh, Kins (although Kins has picked it up recently). If these guys start hitting like they are supposed to and the pitching gets healthy, this could be a really scary team. And that's BEFORE they might make a move.

Everything I read says that they have the biggest interest in Hamels. I think to get him, Philly is going to want something like Olt, Harrison/Holland and one or two more lower level prospects. The Rangers would probably be willing to offer something like Harrison, Feliz and Martin plus a another lower level guy like maybe Villanueva.

I'm not sure I would do that. I know you're going to have to give up something really valuable to get him, but you might be able to drive the price down a bit due to him being a rental.

Here's the best scenario, IMO:

Hamels and Mayberry for Harrison, Olt, Sheppers and another lower level guy like Sardinas.

Giving up Olt would hurt, but I think I do that. I do think a rotation of Colby, Hamels and Darvish would very very strong once the postseason starts. You've got Holland and Oswalt for long relief and a bullpen with Feliz, Ogando, Ross, Adams and Nathan. That's a pretty salty bullpen.

GrTigers6
07-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Injuries are not an excuse. The Ranger's injuries have not been any worse than the rest of MLB.

Texas Rangers
06/23/12 Neftali Feliz SP Elbow 60-day DL. Out until at least early July
07/08/12 Michael Kirkman RP Quadriceps Questionable for July 13 at Seattle
07/08/12 Colby Lewis SP Forearm 15-day DL. Expected to return for July 18 start at Oakland
07/06/12 Alexi Ogando RP Groin 15-day DL. Expected to begin Triple-A rehab assignment July 12
06/29/12 Mark Lowe RP Ribcage 15-day DL. Out until at least early July
06/22/12 Mitch Moreland 1B Hamstring 15-day DL. Out until at least late July
06/15/12 Koji Uehara RP Back 15-day DL. Out until at least early July

Los Angeles Angels
07/05/12 Michael Kohn RP Forearm 15-day DL. Out for season
07/05/12 Dan Haren SP Back 15-day DL. Out until at least mid-July
07/08/12 Chris Iannetta C Wrist, forearm 15-day DL. Out until at least late July
07/02/12 Jeremy Moore CF Hip 60-day DL. Out until at least late July
07/08/12 Vernon Wells LF Thumb 60-day DL. Out until at least late July
07/02/12 Jerome Williams SP Illness, forearm 15-day DL. On Triple-A rehab assignment

Oakland Athletics
06/23/12 Dallas Braden SP Shoulder 60-day DL. Out until at least early July
07/02/12 Andrew Carignan RP Elbow 60-day DL. Out until at least late July
07/08/12 Yoenis Cespedes CF Thumb Questionable for July 13 at Minnesota
07/08/12 Collin Cowgill CF Ankle 15-day DL. Expected to begin Class A rehab assignment July 9
06/28/12 Brandon McCarthy SP Shoulder 15-day DL. Out until at least mid-July
05/15/12 Joey Devine RP Biceps, elbow 60-day DL. Out for season
03/13/12 Brett Anderson SP Elbow 60-day DL. Out until at least early August
03/03/12 Scott Sizemore 3B Knee 60-day DL. Out for season

Seattle Mariners
07/05/12 Mike Carp LF Shoulder 15-day DL. On Triple-A rehab assignment
07/03/12 Franklin Gutierrez CF Head 7-day DL. Out until at least mid-July
07/08/12 Jesus Montero DH Concussion Questionable for July 13 vs. Texas
07/02/12 Stephen Pryor RP Groin 15-day DL. Out until at least mid-July
07/01/12 Erasmo Ramirez RP Elbow 15-day DL. Out until at least mid-July
06/01/12 George Sherrill RP Elbow 60-day DL. Out for seasonProblem is the Rangers have had 3 starting pitchers on the DL all at the same time plus long relief pitchers. Makes it a little tougher. but they have survived pretty well

GrTigers6
07-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Right. No other team is giving any sympathy to the Rangers. I think the injury situation speaks to the depth and just how good this team can be. They've had injury problems plus they've had several hitters in extended slumps - Young, Nap, Cruz, Josh, Kins (although Kins has picked it up recently). If these guys start hitting like they are supposed to and the pitching gets healthy, this could be a really scary team. And that's BEFORE they might make a move.

Everything I read says that they have the biggest interest in Hamels. I think to get him, Philly is going to want something like Olt, Harrison/Holland and one or two more lower level prospects. The Rangers would probably be willing to offer something like Harrison, Feliz and Martin plus a another lower level guy like maybe Villanueva.

I'm not sure I would do that. I know you're going to have to give up something really valuable to get him, but you might be able to drive the price down a bit due to him being a rental.

Here's the best scenario, IMO:

Hamels and Mayberry for Harrison, Olt, Sheppers and another lower level guy like Sardinas.

Giving up Olt would hurt, but I think I do that. I do think a rotation of Colby, Hamels and Darvish would very very strong once the postseason starts. You've got Holland and Oswalt for long relief and a bullpen with Feliz, Ogando, Ross, Adams and Nathan. That's a pretty salty bullpen.Getting rid of Harrison in my opinion would be the biggest mistake they could make. He is the only consistent pitcher we have. His only loss in his last 5 starts was a 2-1 offensive embarrasment.

Macarthur
07-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Getting rid of Harrison in my opinion would be the biggest mistake they could make. He is the only consistent pitcher we have. His only loss in his last 5 starts was a 2-1 offensive embarrasment.

OK. I would love to get Hamels and not give up anything of value, but it doesn't work that way. They're going to want some big league ready arms. Who would you substitute for Harrison? Holland?

GrTigers6
07-10-2012, 11:45 AM
OK. I would love to get Hamels and not give up anything of value, but it doesn't work that way. They're going to want some big league ready arms. Who would you substitute for Harrison? Holland?I dont know, tough decision. im glad i dont have to make it.:thinking::crazy:

Macarthur
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
I dont know, tough decision. im glad i dont have to make it.:thinking::crazy:

I hear ya. That's why those guys make big bucks. I think you're almost going to have to give up one of Feliz, Harrison or Holland. And that doesn't even start the conversation on Olt.

Txbroadcaster
07-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I find it funny we are all trying to figure out what is wrong with the Rangers when they have the 2nd best record in the majors...I think we all have become a little spoiled

Macarthur
07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I find it funny we are all trying to figure out what is wrong with the Rangers when they have the 2nd best record in the majors...I think we all have become a little spoiled

Good point, but as fans of teams like the Yankees have known for decades, building a team for regular season success versus post season success, sometimes have different elements. YOu can be a team that has 5 solid to above average starters and that bodes well for the season, but generally what wins in the post season is having a stud or two pitchers that go on short rest. Right now, I just don't feel as though the Rangers have a stud for the rotation. They have good pitchers and some (colby) that have a good post season track record, but you see what happened last year in game 7 when St Louis could roll out their stud on short rest and he was an ace.

I just think a rotation of Colby, Hamels and Darvish give you a much better chance than Colby, Darvish & Oswalt/Harrison/Holland.

Macarthur
07-10-2012, 12:32 PM
And as a side note to that, that's what makes the Angels a scary post season team. A rotation of Weaver, Harren & CJ is tough as nails. They don't have much for a 4th or 5th starter, but you don't need that come post season time.

Txbroadcaster
07-10-2012, 12:58 PM
And as a side note to that, that's what makes the Angels a scary post season team. A rotation of Weaver, Harren & CJ is tough as nails. They don't have much for a 4th or 5th starter, but you don't need that come post season time.

Weaver and Harren might be tough..we dont really know because they have not spent alot of time in it..CJ has proven the postseason is not his thing

Tejastrue
07-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Wow, I guess Harrison 11-4 (3.10 ERA) at the all-star break is a fluke. He's basically replaced CJ as our LH starter. At this point his ERA has dropped for the 3rd consecutive year. Holland has been on the DL for a reason. Isn't he also 3-0 in the post season? I look for him to have a great second half.

Macarthur
07-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Wow, I guess Harrison 11-4 (3.10 ERA) at the all-star break is a fluke. He's basically replaced CJ as our LH starter. At this point his ERA has dropped for the 3rd consecutive year. Holland has been on the DL for a reason. Isn't he also 3-0 in the post season? I look for him to have a great second half.

I don't know if fluke is the right word, but he doesn't exactly have a track record to draw on.

Are you claiming that we don't need a Hamels bacause we have Harrison? No, Harrison is not 3-0. He's 1-2 with a 5.4 era in the postseason.

As for the CJ comment, keep in mind, CJ is in a situation now where he doesn't have to be the ace of the staff. Sure, he hasn't been great in the post season, but being the 3rd option behind Weaver and Harren is pretty darn solid.

Tejastrue
07-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Holland at 3-0. Any team would want Hamels. I'm just saying let our pitching staff get completely healthy (if that is possible) and I like our chances. Especially with the veteran closer we have now (Nathan).

Macarthur
07-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Holland at 3-0. Any team would want Hamels. I'm just saying let our pitching staff get completely healthy (if that is possible) and I like our chances. Especially with the veteran closer we have now (Nathan).

Yes, Holland is 3-0. Keep in mind though that records don't really tell the whole story. Holland has been very inconsistent; I love him and he def has ace potential. I'm just nervous going into the postseason depending on him.

Assuming a 3 man rotation, who would you want as your 3? Because right now, you almost have to go with Colby, Harrison & Darvish. Where would you put Holland?

Macarthur
07-10-2012, 04:26 PM
What I'm trying to get at is while talking about our pitching depth is great when we talk about the regular season, depth doesn't really matter that much when you get into the post season. When you get in the post season, you ride your top 2 or 3 starters and your top 2 or 3 bullpen guys.

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, I'm just saying what gives this club the best opportunity to win a WS. This organization has to look at things diff now. We're not just excited to be in the post season. The window is NOW!

Tejastrue
07-10-2012, 06:59 PM
What I'm trying to get at is while talking about our pitching depth is great when we talk about the regular season, depth doesn't really matter that much when you get into the post season. When you get in the post season, you ride your top 2 or 3 starters and your top 2 or 3 bullpen guys.

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, I'm just saying what gives this club the best opportunity to win a WS. This organization has to look at things diff now. We're not just excited to be in the post season. The window is NOW!

I understand where you are coming from. The pressure is all on us "now" just to get to our third WS in a row, much less win one. How many chances does the same team get, then again we may be the new Yankees of the Southwest. Lol. I just have to laugh about this seeing how we struggled so long with mediocrity.

regaleagle
07-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Well, there was the Buffalo Bills in football that got there enough times, but never won it. It does happen, and could also happen for the Rangers, too. I hope they can get their WS win this season. It does look like the window of opportunity is at the door, pardon the pun.

Txbroadcaster
07-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Well, there was the Buffalo Bills in football that got there enough times, but never won it. It does happen, and could also happen for the Rangers, too. I hope they can get their WS win this season. It does look like the window of opportunity is at the door, pardon the pun.

the way the Rangers have built the team the window is very open and should..key word being should stay open for next 5-10 years

Macarthur
07-11-2012, 01:07 PM
the way the Rangers have built the team the window is very open and should..key word being should stay open for next 5-10 years

I agree that they have constructed things with an eye on the future, but I still think you have to go for it when you have this opportunity. I'm not saying pillage the farm system, but prospects are just that - prospects. Atlanta in the 90s thought they were going to win several. They finally got one, but they only got the one. I say we need to make Hamels happen!

Tejastrue
07-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Holland looked pretty good tonight.