PDA

View Full Version : Who Has The Better Season---LaMarque or Stephenville?

Bullaholic
07-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Since the February re-alignment, a lot of 3A buzz has centered around two big 4A dropdown powers---LaMarque and Stevenville. There has already been a significant amount of discussion about these two teams in prior threads on the 3ADL, but now, a little more than a month before the first practices, it is time to make a real assessment of each of these teams chances in the 3A classification. BTW--I do not want to give the impression that LaMarque and Stevenville are the ONLY good 3A teams worth discussing, but they are the ones drawing enough attention early to get a lot of good responses. Hope we get some, and I apologize in advance if some of you have to re-post some of the discussion on these two teams made earlier, but both team's schedules have been finalized, and we do now have the added input of DCTF Mag, Terry & Grant on "Sideline-to-Sideline", plus Matt Stepp and "The Old Coach" resources.

Who do you think will have the better initial season in 3A---the LaMarque Cougars or the Stephenville Yellowjackets, and why?`

MGAR
07-06-2012, 10:55 AM
I think Stephenville will because they will have a "easier" road to state...

LaMarque has their work cut out for them being in the toughest region in 3A...

Saggy Aggie
07-06-2012, 10:56 AM
im more familiar with LM being from the same part of the state and them being in the same district as us (West Columbia) so I'll say LM. I just think their athletes are better than anything 3A has seen lately.

I mean they're playing mostly good 4A schools in non district and there's a good chance they'll win those games. IMO, LM's talent is just too much for 3A. I predict LM will win state but not Stephenville (because I think 3A schools can match stephenville in talent)

Bullaholic
07-06-2012, 11:01 AM
im more familiar with LM being from the same part of the state and them being in the same district as us (West Columbia) so I'll say LM. I just think their athletes are better than anything 3A has seen lately.

I mean they're playing mostly good 4A schools in non district and there's a good chance they'll win those games. IMO, LM's talent is just too much for 3A. I predict LM will win state but not Stephenville (because I think 3A schools can match stephenville in talent)

If I'm reading you right, you are saying that you think LaMarque's overall athletic talent is greater than the rest of 3A, including Stevenville, and will carry them to a state title, and that Stevenville will not win a state title? I'm sure this will get responses from both camps---and that should be a good thing.

CTS
07-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Even though I'm a La Marque guy, I'd honestly have to say Stephenville. La Marque plays a brutal non district shedule. After their first 4 games they could be 1-3. Texas City, Coldspring and Lamar Consolidated will all bring back more than the Coogs. Throw on St. Pius with a QB committed to A&M and a trip to Dallas in the middle of district and there is no room for error.

They are also playing in the second hardest district in the state according to S2S so in 8 of their 10 games there is no room for error. I understand why the schedule was put together like that, to prepare them for the playoffs, but it's not really setting you up to win every game. If LM makes it through that schedule healthy and intact, watch out.

And speaking of the playoffs....LM is looking at a potential schedule of Coldspring 2nd round, Navasota 3rd round and WOS 4th round. Semifinals you could be playing the defending state champs.

I hope Saggy is right. I hope we bring home a 6th ring. But if we do, we will have earned it.

Bullaholic
07-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Even though I'm a La Marque guy, I'd honestly have to say Stephenville. La Marque plays a brutal non district shedule. After their first 4 games they could be 1-3. Texas City, Coldspring and Lamar Consolidated will all bring back more than the Coogs. Throw on St. Pius with a QB committed to A&M and a trip to Dallas in the middle of district and there is no room for error.

They are also playing in the second hardest district in the state according to S2S so in 8 of their 10 games there is no room for error. I understand why the schedule was put together like that, to prepare them for the playoffs, but it's not really setting you up to win every game. If LM makes it through that schedule healthy and intact, watch out.

And speaking of the playoffs....LM is looking at a potential schedule of Coldspring 2nd round, Navasota 3rd round and WOS 4th round. Semifinals you could be playing the defending state champs.

I hope Saggy is right. I hope we bring home a 6th ring. But if we do, we will have earned it.

What offense/defense does LM run, and what are the strengths of each, CTS?

Saggy Aggie
07-06-2012, 11:15 AM
If I'm reading you right, you are saying that you think LaMarque's overall athletic talent is greater than the rest of 3A, including Stevenville, and will carry them to a state title, and that Stevenville will not win a state title? I'm sure this will get responses from both camps---and that should be a good thing. exactly, I don't think any team in 3A can match LM in talent across the field, including stephenville. Hell, their talent had damn near won them a couple titles in 4A the last couple years.

I know stephenville will be good, but I see a Brownwood type future for them... On top all season long and eventually someone will knock em out.

LM may lose a game or 2, but they'll be rolling by the time the playoffs come around. Navasota will be their biggest obstacle IMO

CTS
07-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Defense they run a 3-4 with a lot of zone blitz schemes. I honestly feel like if there is one advantage LM has dropping down, it's the speed of the defense to the ball. Last year was one of the best and quickest defenses we have had and we have most of those guys back.

Offensively last year they put up huge numbers. All those skill kids are gone. They are multiple formation, spread and 2 back stuff. The closest I would compare it to is an Oklahoma State or Oregon scheme or the stuff Briles runs at Baylor. Last year in Week 5 they threw for 471 against Santa Fe and the next week rushed for 651 against Friendswood so it's hard to figure out what they do week to week, even as a fan watching.

The biggest thing about the offense is the tempo. They rotate waves of kids and they don't let the defense breathe. They are back up on the ball snapping it immediately. If kids are going both ways against them I could see that being a problem when we play teams because nobody goes both ways. We are all curious how they look early in the year being so young on that side of the ball.

Hope the scouting report helps. Lol

MGAR
07-06-2012, 11:30 AM
exactly, I don't think any team in 3A can match LM in talent across the field, including stephenville. Hell, their talent had damn near won them a couple titles in 4A the last couple years.

I know stephenville will be good, but I see a Brownwood type future for them... On top all season long and eventually someone will knock em out.

LM may lose a game or 2, but they'll be rolling by the time the playoffs come around. Navasota will be their biggest obstacle IMO

Good chance Navasota goes DI.

:evilgrin:The Ville.
2012 State Champions !!!:D

coog4eva
07-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Defense they run a 3-4 with a lot of zone blitz schemes. I honestly feel like if there is one advantage LM has dropping down, it's the speed of the defense to the ball. Last year was one of the best and quickest defenses we have had and we have most of those guys back.

Offensively last year they put up huge numbers. All those skill kids are gone. They are multiple formation, spread and 2 back stuff. The closest I would compare it to is an Oklahoma State or Oregon scheme or the stuff Briles runs at Baylor. Last year in Week 5 they threw for 471 against Santa Fe and the next week rushed for 651 against Friendswood so it's hard to figure out what they do week to week, even as a fan watching.

The biggest thing about the offense is the tempo. They rotate waves of kids and they don't let the defense breathe. They are back up on the ball snapping it immediately. If kids are going both ways against them I could see that being a problem when we play teams because nobody goes both ways. We are all curious how they look early in the year being so young on that side of the ball.

Hope the scouting report helps. Lol

I agree.....I'm interested to see how the QB situation shapes up......

Gsquared
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
CTS, im gonna interview the two Foreman kids from Texas City on Sunday at the rivals camp. What did you think of them last year?

Yoe_09
07-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Good chance Navasota goes DI.

All depends on what Taylor does.

MGAR
07-06-2012, 02:11 PM
CTS, im gonna interview the two Foreman kids from Texas City on Sunday at the rivals camp. What did you think of them last year?

Oh God, they are gonna let you in?

I was planning on going but oldest has baseball this weekend...

CTS
07-06-2012, 02:13 PM

They are both the REAL DEAL. They will be a load to handle when we play them week 1.

Gsquared
07-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Oh God, they are gonna let you in?

I was planning on going but oldest has baseball this weekend...
No sir but ima climb the fence and pretend I belong there.

Gsquared
07-06-2012, 02:14 PM
They are both the REAL DEAL. They will be a load to handle when we play them week 1.
Yes sir, ill be at that game, cant wait!!

hollywood
07-06-2012, 03:11 PM
La doy... Stephenville. Much weaker schedule and region.

I can assure Saggy that the talent is there for the Ville as well. It wouldn't matter if they were in Reg 1-4 this year. This is that special group that just clicks. Some of the best talent in a group I've seen in a while and can execute with it. If La Marque's athletes are better than any in 3A but can't quite execute, then pure talent is just pure talent. Pure talent didn't beat Stephenville the 3 times La Marque tried!

That's all.

LHPfactory
07-06-2012, 03:29 PM
All this talk of talent, watch out, cause when you least expect it, here comes a left hook from a dark horse crew.

Love those dark horses that bust up the predictions......

I will add that 4A was the big winner this year, they dumped their best teams.... the big ones went 5A and the small ones went 3A. This could be a thread topic in and of itself.

coog4eva
07-06-2012, 03:37 PM
La doy... Stephenville. Much weaker schedule and region.

I can assure Saggy that the talent is there for the Ville as well. It wouldn't matter if they were in Reg 1-4 this year. This is that special group that just clicks. Some of the best talent in a group I've seen in a while and can execute with it. If La Marque's athletes are better than any in 3A but can't quite execute, then pure talent is just pure talent. Pure talent didn't beat Stephenville the 3 times La Marque tried!

That's all.

I think the playing field is more level now......the 90s were a different era.....the kids at Stephenville back then looked like grown me on the field.....

hollywood
07-06-2012, 03:58 PM
I think the playing field is more level now......the 90s were a different era.....the kids at Stephenville back then looked like grown me on the field.....

lol... good point. But, some of them are even bigger this year. ;)

Honestly, it should be a good season for both. Not one team can claim a SC before the season starts. The question is, who will have the best season. I think it depends on what your teams goals are. Best meaning overall record, winning the whole enchilada, going thru the season w/o major injuries? A lot to consider but with these 2 teams dropping down to the 3A classification, Stephenville definitely has the less challenging schedule IMHO. Just based on that, Stephenville has a much better shot at winning the SC than La Marque does this year. But, you also have to consider the talent Stephenville has returning. A very solid returning class that has good depth and experience.

coog4eva
07-06-2012, 04:05 PM
lol... good point. But, some of them are even bigger this year. ;)

Honestly, it should be a good season for both. Not one team can claim a SC before the season starts. The question is, who will have the best season. I think it depends on what your teams goals are. Best meaning overall record, winning the whole enchilada, going thru the season w/o major injuries? A lot to consider but with these 2 teams dropping down to the 3A classification, Stephenville definitely has the less challenging schedule IMHO. Just based on that, Stephenville has a much better shot at winning the SC than La Marque does this year. But, you also have to consider the talent Stephenville has returning. A very solid returning class that has good depth and experience.

I agree......on the offensive side of the ball LM has a lot of question marks......with new personnel........defensively we are looking good.....

Cam
07-06-2012, 04:30 PM
:evilgrin:The Ville.
2012 State Champions !!!:D

Well crap then!.....can somebody lend me their time machine so I can jump ahead to 2013?......Heck, this season is over!...LOL!!!......Not only that, I can jump over the upcoming Mayan apocalypse.......it'll be so lonely......

defense51
07-06-2012, 05:47 PM
I think the playing field is more level now......the 90s were a different era.....the kids at Stephenville back then looked like grown ME on the field..... Were you bragging on your appearance or was that a typo? :vrycnfsd:

OldBison75
07-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I think both teams have the chance to be top 5 teams at the end of the year if they can avoid injuries. Both have the talent and athletes to make a big season. With that said, neither will have a cakewalk. Stephenville may have the easier early route, but, that will change later in the season. Both will get tested heavily and both will have to play every down of every big game. There just is not that large a gap between the top level 3A teams and the good 4A teams.

LM will have a period of adjustment to new faces early on, but, that is a group of kids that can easily get on a roll with a big win or two. Pat experience tells us that if they get confident in themselves, they can become dominating real quick and win in big streaks. Stephenville has the talent and experience in place from day one, but they will be the team with the target on their backs every game. Every North Texas team wants to knock off Stephenville because it will give instant credibility to their own team.

I am predicting that neither will be the eventual state champ, but both will go deep in the playoffs.

CTS
07-06-2012, 07:05 PM
After reading all this and looking at different views I will say this...

I think Stephenville has an easier road bc of easier schedule, region, etc.

That being said....if it comes to a one game situation....I believe Carthage is more of a threat to beat Stephenville than anyone La Marque would face. So while the sum of the season may favor Stephenville...I don't believe Coldspring, Navasota, WOS, etc. have the pedigree of a Carthage.

I don't mean any disrespect to any other programs, just giving great respect to Carthage and their accomplishments.

LIONS#1
07-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Stephenville at least this year;)

LIONS#1
07-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Is coog4evea the ole coog4life?? The Austin Cabbie??

Gone Fishing
07-06-2012, 08:19 PM
All depends on what Taylor does.

Taylor is good....

Gone Fishing
07-06-2012, 08:22 PM
I'd give my left you know what if Stephenville or La Marque lost their first game....

Manso/V8
07-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Taylor was good....in their game against Wimberley.

CTS
07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I'd give my left you know what if Stephenville or La Marque lost their first game....

Get your knife ready. I keep telling you guys Galveston Ball will play lights out in the Clash of the Causeway. They always do. LM's first 4 games are all games they could lose, especially with a young offense.

Gone Fishing
07-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Taylor was good....in their game against Wimberley.

Nope, wrong Manso! Taylor was good. If you have time go back and see how they became 3 and 7 you might know. But either way, they had to be pretty damn good , they played the state champions to double overtime. I thinking they have a better feather in their hat than Bellville or others last year...

Gsquared
07-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Get your knife ready. I keep telling you guys Galveston Ball will play lights out in the Clash of the Causeway. They always do. LM's first 4 games are all games they could lose, especially with a young offense.
CTS Ball has almost nada coming back from a VERY bad 2011. Can't wait to get to Texas City for the TC/LM game. Any hotel suggestions?

Gone Fishing
07-06-2012, 08:39 PM

Dammit CTS, I just tossed all the knifes in the house, out the window, LOL...

Ville-D
07-06-2012, 11:58 PM
CTS, 93 to 99 were some good years. Lets start that run again.

regaleagle
07-07-2012, 05:54 AM
Carthage Wins State Divison I.

[QUOTE=Gone Fishing;1680855]I'd give my left you know what if Stephenville or La Marque lost their first game..

That could happen and wouldnt be the end of the world. Many great teams will suffer a loss along the way.

coog4eva
07-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Were you bragging on your appearance or was that a typo? :vrycnfsd:

Oh...I missed that.....meant to say grown men.....hahaha......

ogg
07-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Since the February re-alignment, a lot of 3A buzz has centered around two big 4A dropdown powers---LaMarque and Stevenville. There has already been a significant amount of discussion about these two teams in prior threads on the 3ADL, but now, a little more than a month before the first practices, it is time to make a real assessment of each of these teams chances in the 3A classification. BTW--I do not want to give the impression that LaMarque and Stevenville are the ONLY good 3A teams worth discussing, but they are the ones drawing enough attention early to get a lot of good responses. Hope we get some, and I apologize in advance if some of you have to re-post some of the discussion on these two teams made earlier, but both team's schedules have been finalized, and we do now have the added input of DCTF Mag, Terry & Grant on "Sideline-to-Sideline", plus Matt Stepp and "The Old Coach" resources.

Who do you think will have the better initial season in 3A---the LaMarque Cougars or the Stephenville Yellowjackets, and why?`
Stephenville.

CTS
07-07-2012, 01:20 PM
CTS Ball has almost nada coming back from a VERY bad 2011. Can't wait to get to Texas City for the TC/LM game. Any hotel suggestions?

I am actually in North Houston so not familiar with the hotels. I beliee there is a Hampton Inn right off I-45 next to the dog track. If you're going to that game get in touch with Coach Jackson and get him to secure you a ticket for the Battle by the Bay luncheon that day. Both communities attend at the Texas City convention center the day of the game. Very unique thing to attend.

toddg
07-07-2012, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=Gone Fishing;1680855]I'd give my left you know what if Stephenville or La Marque lost their first game..

That could happen and wouldnt be the end of the world. Many great teams will suffer a loss along the way.

best quote of the day!

Ville-D
07-07-2012, 04:25 PM
best quote of the day!

Which one? The left nut or the other?

toddg
07-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Which one? The left nut or the other?

both!

LionFan72
07-08-2012, 06:57 AM
I say Stephenville, easier Region my goodness, LOL, pat your little back! Gonna be a surprising year, lots of things happen on the gridiron! Strap'em tight and let's get to knockin' some pads together!