PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dallas Mavericks

Twirling Time
07-05-2012, 06:08 PM
After 12 straight seasons of 50+ victories and playoff victories, and whiffing on every free-agent try, Mark Cuban has punted.

So long Terry, Kidd, and Mahinmi. Haywood will be amnestied the minute the NBA lets Cuban. And don't be shocked when Dirk is on the trading block.

See you in 2024, Mavs.

icu812
07-05-2012, 07:19 PM
After 12 straight seasons of 50+ victories and playoff victories, and whiffing on every free-agent try, Mark Cuban has punted.

So long Terry, Kidd, and Mahinmi. Haywood will be amnestied the minute the NBA lets Cuban. And don't be shocked when Dirk is on the trading block.

See you in 2024, Mavs.

I just said basically the same thing in the JT thread. Unless they pull off a crazy trade it looks like they are going to blow it up and rebuild. At this point I don't think they can add any free agents that would put them back into contention.

Gone Fishing
07-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Dallas who cares?

orange machine
07-05-2012, 09:21 PM
I don't know what to think about this situation. Its obvious that Cuban is telling Dirk that his championship days are gone. If I was Dirk I would be requesting a trade and get out of this mess.

LIONS#1
07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Come on Football Season!!...LMAO:crazy1:

Emerson1
07-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Dallas who cares?
Obviously you care enough to post in two threads about them.

Z-RO
07-06-2012, 02:11 AM
If I was Dirk I would be requesting a trade and get out of this mess.

Exactly what I was telling my wife earlier today.

Farmersfan
07-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I heard something yesterday that I thought was funny: The Dallas Mavericks have officially now changed their name to Dirk Nowitzki!

I wonder how people are feeling about Cuban's "PLAN" now? I said after he let Tyson, Stephenson and JJ Berea go that Cuban was blowing it big time. Some know-it-alls on this forum had different ideas. The chances of getting a Dwight Howard and Devon Williams combo was so slim it made more sense to keep the championship team together and try for another run. Now even if Cuban manages to get Howard they won't have the supporting cast to do any better than Howard did in Orlando...............
I will say I'm glad J. Kidd moved on. I don't think he was worth another 3 year contract. He pretty much did nothing for this team down the stretch this past playoffs. I think his effectiveness days are behind him.

Bullaholic
07-06-2012, 09:49 AM
The Mavs are now really a mess. Dirk certainly deserved better. I think he is (2) seasons and done, and the Mavs will be several years before they are able to challenge for an NBA title again, even if they make some decent player acquisitions in the next couple of seasons.

waterboy
07-06-2012, 09:54 AM
I agreed with FF on this one back when it happened.:crazy1: I knew the Mavs were done when they let Tyson Chandler (THE presence in the middle), Stephenson (the TOUGH defensive stopper), and J.J. Berea (the spark plug) go to other teams. I still felt like they would make the playoffs with around 50 wins, but I knew they were not going to be championship contenders. Face it, the Mavericks are rebuilding, and it will take several years before they become prominent again. Sad, sad..........:(

orange machine
07-06-2012, 09:56 AM
So back to the old Reunion Arena days of 10+ thousand seats empty?

ctown81
07-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Funny how things change. Letting Stephenson, Chandler and JJ go were mistakes but he just made a bad decision. Cuban is not that stupid to not have a plan when he let these players go this offseason. It's WAY too early to speculate. This is the first time in a while we had the money to make a big splash. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

icu812
07-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Funny how things change. Letting Stephenson, Chandler and JJ go were mistakes but he just made a bad decision. Cuban is not that stupid to not have a plan when he let these players go this offseason. It's WAY too early to speculate. This is the first time in a while we had the money to make a big splash. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Wolves way over paid for JJ and no way were the Mavs going to match that. I agree with you on Stephenson & Chandler. Especially Chandler who is one of the very few athletic defensive bigs who can cover for Dirk's lack of defense and defend the pick & roll. The only center who is more perfect for the Mavs is DH and IMO that isn't happening. Big mistake.

Mavs will wait till everyone other team is done then look to sign FA players on the cheap and also offer 1 year deals to amnesty players (like Elton Brand). The main problem for the Mavs will be finding a center who fits. Camby is a good fit if he could be had for reasonable price. Then pay for a young talent like OJ Mayo. Sign a decent PG like Sessions. Amnesty Haywood (bad contract that is not tradeable) and sign Kaman.

Sessions/West
Mayo/Roddy/Rookie
Marion/VC/Rookie
Dirk/Brand/Wright
Camby/Kaman/Rookie

Not a championship team but another 50 win playoff team that is flexible next year if they are good contracts. I think that is Cuban's strategy, no bad contracts. When you get in a bidding war for FA's you are going to over pay and be stuck with contracts nobody wants due to the new punitive luxury tax rules. I don't think he is making a mistake now, his mistake was not signing Chandler.

Gone Fishing
07-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Obviously you care enough to post in two threads about them.

Go rockets, go astros, go texans, texans, texans... (that would be Houston, Tarleton, Wimberley)

Phil C
07-06-2012, 01:20 PM
They went from the best to just barely making the playoffs and eliminated in round 1 to going nowhere. Dirk is near the end of his career and it is too bad he hasn't got the help he deserves. Still they did get at least one NBA Championship which is their's forever. That is more thant MLB Texas teams have done for us. Too bad the Rangers didn't let Mr. Adams pitch that extra ninth inning last year.

orange machine
07-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Here is the deal, it sucks for Dirk but Cuban has to look at the bigger picture and we as fans need to try to do the same. Cuban has a ton of maoney wrapped up in the Mavericks and he has to protect his investment first then worry about players. If I was Cuban I would allow Dirk the chance to go to another team that will compete for a title if he so desired.

Farmersfan
07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Here is the deal, it sucks for Dirk but Cuban has to look at the bigger picture and we as fans need to try to do the same. Cuban has a ton of maoney wrapped up in the Mavericks and he has to protect his investment first then worry about players. If I was Cuban I would allow Dirk the chance to go to another team that will compete for a title if he so desired.

The Mavericks aren't the Cowboys. One 30 win season and this team will be playing in front of half full arenas again. Cuban must keep a competitive team on the court or his "Investment" goes down the drain..................

icu812
07-06-2012, 02:48 PM
The Mavericks aren't the Cowboys. One 30 win season and this team will be playing in front of half full arenas again. Cuban must keep a competitive team on the court or his "Investment" goes down the drain..................

Here is the thing, I think he is already losing money on the Mavs. Don't know if its true but I've read that of the consistent tax paying teams over the last 5 years, only the Mavs are losing money. With the new rules it means that if they keep spending like they have in the past instead of Cuban having to write a check for 10 million at the end of the year he's cutting a check for 30 million out of his pocket. He is apparently not willing to over pay for players any more.

No not willing to take on Joe Johnson's 90 million $ contract - Nets are nuts
Batum 4 years 45 million - really?
Nash at age 38 3 years 30 million - wth
Brandon "no knees" Roy 2 years 10 million - pass
Gerald Wallace 4 years 40 million - no thanks
J Lin 29 million? - wasn't he just on our summer league team
Eric Gordon 4 years 58 million - is he worth only 4.7 mil less per yr than Lebron James?

Looks like Cuban has made a business decision now that he has a championship.

orange machine
07-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Here is the thing, I think he is already losing money on the Mavs. Don't know if its true but I've read that of the consistent tax paying teams over the last 5 years, only the Mavs are losing money. With the new rules it means that if they keep spending like they have in the past instead of Cuban having to write a check for 10 million at the end of the year he's cutting a check for 30 million out of his pocket. He is apparently not willing to over pay for players any more.

No not willing to take on Joe Johnson's 90 million $ contract - Nets are nuts
Batum 4 years 45 million - really?
Nash at age 38 3 years 30 million - wth
Brandon "no knees" Roy 2 years 10 million - pass
Gerald Wallace 4 years 40 million - no thanks
J Lin 29 million? - wasn't he just on our summer league team
Eric Gordon 4 years 58 million - is he worth only 4.7 mil less per yr than Lebron James?

Looks like Cuban has made a business decision now that he has a championship.

Probably good choices on Cubans part. He wants to win so he will rebuild the team and they will be elite in a few years.

Txbroadcaster
07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
I think people are jumping the gun on the whole poor Dirk needs to be traded...this is not Dirk without a ring..this is Dirk who now has a ring and prob 2-3 near elite level play and 5 years or overall of being solid...Dallas can still take the hit again on this season if they have to...This is not the old salary cap, Cuban is being smart because he has to be one bad contract can now cripple a team for years.

turbostud
07-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Time to get on the Spurs bandwagon Mavs fans. Go Spurs.

Emerson1
07-06-2012, 07:54 PM
I wonder how people are feeling about Cuban's "PLAN" now? I said after he let Tyson, Stephenson and JJ Berea go that Cuban was blowing it big time. Some know-it-alls on this forum had different ideas. The chances of getting a Dwight Howard and Devon Williams combo was so slim it made more sense to keep the championship team together and try for another run. Now even if Cuban manages to get Howard they won't have the supporting cast to do any better than Howard did in Orlando...............
Dirk in a wheelchair is better then anything Orlando ever put beside Howard.

The Mavs are now really a mess. Dirk certainly deserved better. I think he is (2) seasons and done, and the Mavs will be several years before they are able to challenge for an NBA title again, even if they make some decent player acquisitions in the next couple of seasons.

Dirk can play until he is 40 is he so wishes to. All he has to do is take a summer where he focuses 100% on shooting spot up jumpers and he know becomes one of the best shooters in the league, and is still 7' tall while doing it.

Semi-related. I watch Shark Tank, will be fun to see how his attitude changes from the episodes filmed before this week to the ones filmed next week.

CelinaCatFan
07-08-2012, 11:31 AM
The Mavs are just "Keeping the Powder Dry" for Dwight Howard and Chris Paul in 2013. Their plan will not be any more successful than getting Deron Williams this year.

Emerson1
07-08-2012, 02:19 PM
The Mavs are just "Keeping the Powder Dry" for Dwight Howard and Chris Paul in 2013. Their plan will not be any more successful than getting Deron Williams this year.

There is 0 chance Chris Paul even considers coming here.

bigwood33
07-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Tier 1 free agents only go to a few places: LA, South Beach (Miami), New York, Boston or Chicago. They NEVER go anywhere else.

icu812
07-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Things looking up for the Mavs as they made made two smart moves yesterday adding Kaman on a 1 year deal 8 mil deal (staying flexible for next year & big upgrade over Haywood who got amnestied) and trading Mahinmi (who wasn't under contract anyway) for PG D.Collison & a good defender in Donte Jones. Both Collison and Jones are cheap 1 yr contracts. They also bid on Elton Brand who if they get him will be a good backup 4 for Dirk and backup C for Kaman. Dirk, Kaman, Brand would be a nice rotation of bigs. Collison is also an upgrade at the PG position. Donte Jones and Marion give the Mavs two lock down defensive players as well. Hopefully the Brand deal gets done. I don't think the Mavs are done making moves. Not a championship team but it makes the Mavs a playoff team, imo. Dirk and Kaman have played well together on the German national team. Brand has also played well with Kaman in the past. Dallas is rebuilding the roster without getting locked into long term deals.

icu812
07-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Mavs just signed Elton Brand for 2.1M. That leaves them with I think 4M in cap space for another amnesty victim. I still don't agree with Cuban not signing Chandler but he is on a roll at the moment. Aquired Darren Collison & D. Jones for nothing (Mahinmi was a FA), Kaman on a 1 yr. deal for what they were paying Deadwood and stold Elton Brand. If they can add another good sized 2 guard the Mavs will have improved their team from last year and gone from lottery team to a tough out in the playoffs in a week.

slingshot
07-14-2012, 10:20 AM

See you in 2024, Mavs.Still sure about this? Dallas will now be better than they were last season... and def better than the rockets.

bigwood33
07-14-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm thinking that the eulogy was a little premature. I don't think that this team will challenge for the title but they should be pretty darned good....and they may not be through.

icu812
07-17-2012, 10:51 AM
OJ Mayo is a Mav. They have room for 1 more small signing, maybe Delonte West or maybe a 3rd string big like Darko M. Anyway this Mavs team is a lot better than last years team.

Kaman at Center
Nowitzki at PF
Marion at SF
Mayo at SG
Collison at PG

Elton Brand & Brandon Wright backing up both PF and C
Vince Carter backing up Marion at the 3
Roddy, Delonte West (most likely), Dahntay Jones, rookie Cunningham & DoJo in the guard rotation
I think rookie Crowder makes the team as a Marion backup (he's looked good so far in summer league) & maybe rook James at C.

A bit of a log jam at the guard position. Won't surprise me to see one more trade to move Roddy or DoJo for another back up C, sending rook James to the D league.

Anyway I like this roster a lot.