PDA

View Full Version : Sad day In Mayberry

Bullaholic
07-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Andy Griffith, dead at 86....A lot of older folks knew this man well....RIP Sheriff Andy.....

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/07/andy-griffith-dies-at-age-86/1

ctown81
07-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Andy Griffith, dead at 86....A lot of older folks knew this man well....RIP Sheriff Andy.....

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/07/andy-griffith-dies-at-age-86/1

Other than Ron Howard, is there anyone left from Mayberry?

Lion70
07-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Other than Ron Howard, is there anyone left from Mayberry?

I think Guber is still living not sure. I know his cousin gomer died last month or so.

Phil C
07-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Sad news today. :(

Macarthur
07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Sad indeed. Icon.

waterboy
07-03-2012, 10:08 AM
I think Guber is still living not sure. I know his cousin gomer died last month or so.
Goober died a couple of months ago. As far as I know, Ron Howard is the only one of the original cast still living.

Phil C
07-03-2012, 10:08 AM

George Lindsey who played Goober Pyle passed away in May. I think the only member besides Ron Howard that is still alive is Jim Neighbors who played Goober's cousin Gomer Pyle who was the town mechanic before his cousin Goober. Jim Neighbors left the series to star in his own successful series as the Marine Gomer Pyle.

waterboy
07-03-2012, 10:46 AM
I had forgotten that Jim Nabors is still alive. There was a report a couple of years ago that he had died, but it was later found that the report was erroneous. Weird, huh?

bdblm97
07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
R.I.P. Andy G...My Dog from that M.Berry. Love watching those reruns of simpler times. I wish every small town could be like Mayberry.

Cam
07-03-2012, 11:59 AM
I had forgotten that Jim Nabors is still alive. There was a report a couple of years ago that he had died, but it was later found that the report was erroneous. Weird, huh?

Jim Nabors is alive and well.....when I was a kid our parents took us to see Jim Nabors in concert in the Astrodome...that dude can sing! I remember the beginning the best cause about 100 marines in uniform came out of the tunnel in marching formation. They marched out to the Gomer Pyle theme. It was precision marching at it's finest with several direction changes........All of a sudden, the whole group made a sharp left turn and one individual in one corner kept going straight!!.....Yep, it was Gomer!....The crowd erupted in laughter. No one knew he was out there marching until that moment......Jim ran onto the stage and said, "Bet ya'll didn't think I could march that good did ya?"........

AP Panther Fan
07-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Aunt Bea was the best! All that woman did was cook and clean...all day!

RIP Andy G.

Tejastrue
07-03-2012, 12:13 PM
I thought Earnest T Bass was still around and posting on 3ADL.

regaleagle
07-03-2012, 01:05 PM
My wife was literally addicted to "Matlock". She just loved the way Andy commanded his presence...so dignified yet staunch.

bigwood33
07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
One of the best.

Stay Hard Andy!

Manso/V8
07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Aunt Bea was the best! All that woman did was cook and clean...all day!

RIP Andy G.

Do you remember the episode when Aunt Bea made a bad patch of pickles?

Manso/V8
07-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Jim Nabors is alive and well.....when I was a kid our parents took us to see Jim Nabors in concert in the Astrodome...that dude can sing! I remember the beginning the best cause about 100 marines in uniform came out of the tunnel in marching formation. They marched out to the Gomer Pyle theme. It was precision marching at it's finest with several direction changes........All of a sudden, the whole group made a sharp left turn and one individual in one corner kept going straight!!.....Yep, it was Gomer!....The crowd erupted in laughter. No one knew he was out there marching until that moment......Jim ran onto the stage and said, "Bet ya'll didn't think I could march that good did ya?"........

I saw Jim Nabors at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo when I was a kid......although most people still called it the Fatstock Show back then. Anyway, I remember him riding a horse around the edge of the arena and shaking people's hands. I saw Lyle Lovett perform at the HLSR about 10 years ago and he did the same thing. Since Lyle is a local guy, I took it as a tip of the hat to performers who used to do the horse thing back in the day.

Eagle 1
07-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Sad news as he was one of my favorite actors. RIP Andy.

AP Panther Fan
07-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Do you remember the episode when Aunt Bea made a bad patch of pickles?

I don't remember that one...I do remember the one where Andy wanted Aunt Bea to relax and take it easy...to be more of a lady of leisure. She tried, but was totally miserable. The thing that actually put her over the edge was Andy making his own lunch to take to work...lol.

Manso/V8
07-03-2012, 03:28 PM
I don't remember that one...I do remember the one where Andy wanted Aunt Bea to relax and take it easy...to be more of a lady of leisure. She tried, but was totally miserable. The thing that actually put her over the edge was Andy making his own lunch to take to work...lol.

Yeah, that drives my wife crazy too...........no wait, that's not true at all. I'm sorry, kind of dozed off and was daydreaming!

Roughneck93
07-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Sad news...:(

AP Panther Fan
07-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Yeah, that drives my wife crazy too...........no wait, that's not true at all. I'm sorry, kind of dozed off and was daydreaming!

hahaha....I am guessing you better keep daydreaming. I have that darned, whistling Mayberry song in my head now...

Bull Butter
07-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Best episode ever......."Citizen's Arrest"

zebrablue2
07-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Best episode ever......."Citizen's Arrest"

:iagree: And the one with the haunted house moonshiners. That was a classic.. RIP AG!!!

YTBulldogs
07-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Loved it, right along with Lil' Rascals, 3 Stooges and Gilligan's Island. Sad day. Plus a sign, we are getting old. I thought Andy's g/f was a babe.

Txbroadcaster
07-03-2012, 08:27 PM
funny thing..him and the actress playing Aunt Bea at times hated each other

Manso/V8
07-04-2012, 05:28 PM
funny thing..him and the actress playing Aunt Bea at times hated each other

I read the wiki entry on Francis Bavier, the actress who played Aunt Bee, and it mentions she was a little difficult to work with at times. Wiki says she called Andy Griffith to apologize a few months before her death.

One of my favorite Andy Griffith scenes is in "No Time for Sargents" when after staying up all night scrubbing the latrine, he rigged the toilet seats to salute in unison during the morning inspection.

The Andy Griffith show had a big impact on many folks. RIP Sheriff Taylor, you brought a lot of joy and heartfelt moral lessons to many folks over the years.

Phil C
07-04-2012, 07:35 PM
This was one of his earlier works in 1953.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh_I6wEgRvk

Phil C
07-04-2012, 07:43 PM
This is Andy's story of a round pool table. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5J6pumx9kI