PDA

View Full Version : Longest road trip you've ever taken....

Cam
07-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Mine's easy! I was bout 10 years old. Family took a trip from the Rio Grande Valley to Houston. Yep, that's it! Why was that the longest trip I've ever taken? Cause my 80 year old grandma came with us that's why!....And yes, every 30 minutes you'd hear her say, "I gotta pee!"......Right off the bat first stop Harlingen, then Raymondville, then the mesquite trees between Raymondville and Kingsville, outside of Corpus, rest stops, pit stops, truck stops,
Victoria, El Campo, etc...Dad was not a happy guy!.....I turned it into a game to amuse myself.....then she got pissed at me!
RIP Grandma! You've been gone a long long time. I still love & miss you.....even though you played favorites and I wasn't it!....It was that bum cousin of mine Art who was your fav!.....and don't think I didn't notice you sneakin' those orange circus peanut marshmallow candies to him only!!!......I hated those things anyway!........Love you grandma!.........:devil:

BaseballUmp
07-02-2012, 06:04 PM
What's Art's last name?

Mine would have to be from Cameron to Orem, Utah. On the way up there we stopped in Albuquerque for the night then up to Utah the next day. On the way back, it was a straight shot. Left Utah right when we woke up, and got back home around lunch the next day. 3 guys in a Ford Explorer when gas was about $4 a gallon. Most expensive part of the trip. But it was tons of fun. Except for that concussion I got on my first trip down the mountain on the snowboard. No one told me how to stop so I just used my head.

FB-fanatic
07-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Started at Raleigh-Durham and ended at Mobile Alabama, by car. I'm an engineer for a heavy equipment manufacturer. We were having a major problem in the field with one particular piece of equipment. Needed to do a field fix on 600 machines all over the USA. On a Monday, divided the US map into 5 pieces, put together 5 crews of a desk jocky and an assembly tech, bought airline tickets and hit the road for one week. Sometime Monday in the Raleigh area, I realized if we humped it all week, we could end this trip early on a Friday, in Pensicola, Fl, on the last day of spring break with an afternoon and evening to kill before flying back to Texas the next morning. Busted chops in every little and big town along the way, and ended the trip at noon in Pensicola. Perfect timing! We change clothes, grab a beer, and head the beach. Sometime in the first hour, as we were admiring the scenery, I realize we've lost the keys to the rental. We spend the next 4 hours scurring around, making phone calls, trying to make sure we don't get stuck there for the weekend. After all kinds of crazy options which included an extra hotel night and money out the wazoo by the rental company, they say.. or you could just catch a cab to the airport and we'll give you a new car. Why didn't you say that in the first place at 1:00 in the afternoon. The best laid plans....

jason
07-02-2012, 07:36 PM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?51902-hoover-alabama-trip-timeline&highlight=road+trip+timeline

the 3adl alabama road trip

Eagle 1
07-02-2012, 08:24 PM
I just got back. Drove to California on I-10 and then came back through Nevada, Utah, Denver. 3,650 miles round trip.
I have also drove to Georgia a quiet a few times.

ronwx5x
07-02-2012, 08:26 PM
April 1981, Denver Colorado to West Palm Beach, Florida. Talk about a temperature and humidity difference! The distance was 2002 miles and my rear felt every bit of it.

I also drove from Dallas to Philadelphia. I don't think that was quite as bad because I broke it up more with stops along the way.

Saggy Aggie
07-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Drive from Houston to st Paul Minnesota.

If I remember correctly, it was like a 17 hour or so drive

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Try this....

Houston, TX to Orlando, FL (spend 3 days there) Orlando, FL to Houston, TX (rest overnight @ home) Houston, TX to Palm Springs, CA (spend a week there) and finally Palm Springs, CA to Houston, TX.

All drives were done non-stop (except for gas fill-ups)

Roughneck93
07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
WC to Fort Collins, Colorado for a softball tournament.

Rabid Cougar
07-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Cameron to Fort Worth to Houston to Petersburg, Virgina Non-stop, 26 hours. Slept one night and drove back to Houston then back to Cameron - Non-stop.
Waco to Billings, Montana - Non stop and then back Non-stop 24 hours each way.
Bismark, North Dakota to Waco - Nonstop
Cheyanne, Wyoming to Waco - Nonstop
Colorado Springs, Colorado to Waco - nonstop several times.
Colorado Springs to Peoria, Illinois - Nonstop
Waco to Louisville, Kentucky- Nonstop
Waco to Richmond Virginia - Nonstop

LAST Football Season chasing North Texas on 6 road trips 5,342 miles in 84 hours all AFTER Friday night China Spring games.

defense51
07-02-2012, 10:59 PM
1989 - Cherry Point, N.C. to Camp Pendleton Ca.

turbostud
07-02-2012, 11:52 PM
San Antonio to Miami Beach. Left at 5am and got to Miami Beach at 5am the next day.

Whitesboro to Rapid City South Dakota. That one took about 18 hrs.

toddg
07-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Travis AFB Ca. to Alvarado only stops were for fuel and one detour to ck out Tombstone Az. for 30 min....stopped for fuel in Van Horn was approached by a dude who looked like "The Hitcher" for a ride..told him to F off! and made it home..26 hours.

GrTigers6
07-03-2012, 06:35 AM
A few years ago We left Glen Rose and drove to San Diego to visit my sister. Then drove from there to Oakland/San Francisco to watch the Rangers play and then back thru the grand canyon. All in a weeks time!

regaleagle
07-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Corpus Christi to Billings, Montana. Now that's a loooong drive. I came back via Denver, across Kansas to Wichita, then went over to Phoenix on I-40 to visit my sister a few days, back on I-10 all the way to San Antonio, and on 37 to Corpus. That'll cure ya.

jp744
07-03-2012, 09:35 AM
San antonio to orlando to disney then stay for five days then to jacksonville to play in the ocean then to new orleans for a day then to colorado springs stay for five days then to san antonio...lots of driving but great scenic views

Cam
07-03-2012, 09:40 AM
What's Art's last name?

Mine would have to be from Cameron to Orem, Utah. On the way up there we stopped in Albuquerque for the night then up to Utah the next day. On the way back, it was a straight shot. Left Utah right when we woke up, and got back home around lunch the next day. 3 guys in a Ford Explorer when gas was about $4 a gallon. Most expensive part of the trip. But it was tons of fun. Except for that concussion I got on my first trip down the mountain on the snowboard. No one told me how to stop so I just used my head.

Oh man BaseballUmp...are you thinkin' maybe you and I are related???...:D

Cam
07-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Try this....

Houston, TX to Orlando, FL (spend 3 days there) Orlando, FL to Houston, TX (rest overnight @ home) Houston, TX to Palm Springs, CA (spend a week there) and finally Palm Springs, CA to Houston, TX.

All drives were done non-stop (except for gas fill-ups)

Wow TarponFan.....gas fill-ups only??....your bladder must be the size of a basketball!!....:D

ogg
07-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Corpus Christi to Billings, Montana. Now that's a loooong drive. I came back via Denver, across Kansas to Wichita, then went over to Phoenix on I-40 to visit my sister a few days, back on I-10 all the way to San Antonio, and on 37 to Corpus. That'll cure ya.
Are you from Corpus?

MUSTANG69
07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
When I was discharged from the Air Force in 1974 I drove from Sacramento, Ca. to Victoria, Tx. straight thru. Only stopped for gas and food. Total trip was 1950 miles. I was in a big hurry to get away from the "land of nuts and fruitcakes". I think I spent about $50.00 on NoDoze on that trip.:ack!:

Trashman
07-03-2012, 11:01 AM
1984; Brownwood to Gowen Field Idaho and back; 3224 miles.

turbostud
07-03-2012, 11:59 AM

There is nothing more boring in the world than driving through Kansas and Nebraska.

AP Panther Fan
07-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Aransas Pass, Texas to Fort Myers, Florida. One side of the Gulf of Mexico to the other, 24 hours non-stop. We broke up the return trip with a stay in New Orleans. :)

regaleagle
07-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Turbostud, I was born in Corpus, grew up in Goliad County since age 3 thru high school, moved to Corpus after attending SWTSU and lived there for 8 years. I met & married my wife(transplant from Albany, NY) there, moved to the Metroplex and lived in Denton County for the next 20 years. When Pam passed 3 yrs ago, I relocated back to Corpus for a short time, but it was not the same(as 20 yrs. ago). Right now, my son(now 23) is helping me with our roofing business and we will make our home somewhere in the Central Texas region, most likely San Marcos area. Right now we are in Mission/McAllen conducting business from a major hailstorm that hit this area twice earlier this Spring. We will stay here as long as the business warrants, then make our move to find a place for me to set up my final homestead. Wimberley will be a consideration, but most likely outside of San Marcos somewhere.

Matthew328
07-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Fort Worth, TX to Mississauga, Ontario (twice)
also done Fort Worth to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl

regaleagle
07-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Actually, that reply was for Ogg's question, but for everyone else, too. I have family in the Corpus Christi area still, 4 generations now.

garciap77
07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Flew from Okinawa, Japan to Travis AFB. Drove from Travis AFB Ca to O'brien, Texas!!! ROUND TRIP with a 1 1/2 year old baby!!!

BaseballUmp
07-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Oh man BaseballUmp...are you thinkin' maybe you and I are related???...:D
Haha naw I just have a customer named Art

Gone Fishing
07-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Turbostud, I was born in Corpus, grew up in Goliad County since age 3 thru high school, moved to Corpus after attending SWTSU and lived there for 8 years. I met & married my wife(transplant from Albany, NY) there, moved to the Metroplex and lived in Denton County for the next 20 years. When Pam passed 3 yrs ago, I relocated back to Corpus for a short time, but it was not the same(as 20 yrs. ago). Right now, my son(now 23) is helping me with our roofing business and we will make our home somewhere in the Central Texas region, most likely San Marcos area. Right now we are in Mission/McAllen conducting business from a major hailstorm that hit this area twice earlier this Spring. We will stay here as long as the business warrants, then make our move to find a place for me to set up my final homestead. Wimberley will be a consideration, but most likely outside of San Marcos somewhere.

Wimberley area is good Reagle. Think we could make you a Texan fan in the next 30 days or so?

Manso/V8
07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Wimberley area is good Reagle. Think we could make you a Texan fan in the next 30 days or so?

Yall recruit fans too? I guess send him by the Chamber of Commerce/Booster and maybe they can make some "accomadations" LOL

Gone Fishing
07-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Yall recruit fans too? I guess send him by the Chamber of Commerce/Booster and maybe they can make some "accomadations" LOL

Thats a good one Manso! Funny...lol

regaleagle
07-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Actually, when I was attending college at San Marcos in the 70's, I worked for Stokes Construction and helped build one of the first subdivisions out in Wimberley. I know the area well, but would probably not recognize it now. I have passed thru it in recent years, but only passing thru. It will definitely be on my list. Like Argyle, you can't take the country out of the boy. I love the small town/community atmosphere of an Argyle or Wimberley. Of course, Wimberley is more small townish style than Argyle, but Argyle worked for me just dandy while I was in the DFW sprawling Metropolis. I managed to find 9 acres of heaven and oak trees just outside the city with a community lifestyle...just not much of a township. Denton filled in for that capacity, as Argyle is only 8 miles south on 35W to Ft. Worth. But my son is an Argyle Eagle alum, and I am a booster. Argyle will always have a special place in my heart, even IF I do eventually end up in Wimberley.

firstdown
07-05-2012, 12:00 PM
1988 Argyle to Greensboro N.C. 2332 miles round trip.