PDA

View Full Version : How Did They Get So Good? (HS Athletic Success)

Bullaholic
07-02-2012, 04:43 PM
We've talked about before how some HS athletic teams (all classes/sports) have had exceptional results in one or more sports for several years in a stretch. I would like to know about some others which have not always been mentioned along with the Southlake's of the world and how they did it....A couple come to mind to start.

Iraan- Football

Canadian- Girl's basketball

Windthorst- Football

Newton- Football

Ft. Worth Dunbar- Basketball

Decatur- Cross-Country track

Trent, Borden, Strawn, and Panther Creek - 6-man football.

( I may be off on memory on some of these--if so, please give some insight)

Cam
07-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Wish I had an answer Bull, but I'm stumped!!.....Go Bridgeport!!

catfish
07-02-2012, 05:49 PM
I think,consistent good coaching and community support of whatever sport is important to the people.I say that because in some communities football is king,in others basketball,etc.Kids in a community see the sport that is supported by the community as most important.They will sometimes play only that sport and no others.In 4a & 5a schools that is mostly not a problem.In 3a and under,kids specializing in one sport is usually a killer for all the others.

Bullaholic
07-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I think,consistent good coaching and community support of whatever sport is important to the people.I say that because in some communities football is king,in others basketball,etc.Kids in a community see the sport that is supported by the community as most important.They will sometimes play only that sport and no others.In 4a & 5a schools that is mostly not a problem.In 3a and under,kids specializing in one sport is usually a killer for all the others.

All very true, Spicewood, but some of these programs have seemed to be able to sustain excellence in a sport(s) despite coaching changes, economic changes, etc. while others have not had that much success. I'd love to hear the specifics on some of these programs, and others not mentioned, from those who know their histories.

FB-fanatic
07-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Living outside Waco, I always wondered what made Midway girls softball so magical, after umpteen dozen Little League World Series championships. What I've concluded is that with such a rich tradition, girls start a really early age thinking about only softball. If you drive around on any given weekend, you will see girls at nearly every available field, hitting and fielding balls. It also gets to be an attitiude of expecting to win, not just hoping.

catfish
07-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Living outside Waco, I always wondered what made Midway girls softball so magical, after umpteen dozen Little League World Series championships. What I've concluded is that with such a rich tradition, girls start a really early age thinking about only softball. If you drive around on any given weekend, you will see girls at nearly every available field, hitting and fielding balls. It also gets to be an attitiude of expecting to win, not just hoping.

Wimberley is the same way with girls,except it's volleyball.When volleyball is out of season,most of the girls play club ball.....Along the same lines though,if your school is good at a sport and get into the playoffs,they could play another half season of that sport,which only makes you better.

Rabid Cougar
07-02-2012, 10:59 PM

Because Midway Little League All-Star teams are select teams that are put together and play year round from the age of 8. None of those little girls that you see on practice fields all over Hewitt and Woodway will never see the All-star team. The All-star team and coaches are known before the Litttle League season starts. Crawford is getting to be the same way.

Funny thing is , all those Little League World Series Championships and how many State Championships???

Rabid Cougar
07-02-2012, 11:04 PM
We've talked about before how some HS athletic teams (all classes/sports) have had exceptional results in one or more sports for several years in a stretch. I would like to know about some others which have not always been mentioned along with the Southlake's of the world and how they did it....A couple come to mind to start.

Iraan- Football

Windthorst- Football

Newton- Football

Nazareth- Girls Basketball.

Ville-D
07-02-2012, 11:05 PM

Iraan- Football

Windthorst- Football

Newton- Football

Nazareth Girls- Basketball
Brock - Basketball -- they will have JV football the next 2 years then Varsity in 2014. Do you think it will kill the boys basketball program?

bobcat1
07-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Windthorst hired Coach Bill Green back in the 90's. He put in his program and the kids bought in. He also had 3 stud sons that played during the years. With all his success he was "reassigned" this year(Big Mistake IMO) over a discus hitting his pickup and him chewing out the young lady that did it. Mommy got mad and told the School Board. This is all second hand but what I was told.

regaleagle
07-03-2012, 06:40 AM
There's no honor left in the school board system any more. The heck with what is politically correct, I would just love to see a board stand up tall for once and tell these cry-babies to put up or shut up.

GrTigers6
07-03-2012, 06:41 AM

Iraan- Football

Windthorst- Football

Newton- Football

( I may be off on memory on some of these--if so, please give some insight) Want to add Goldthwaite- football- and most sports actually. Biggest reason is same coach since the 80's
Also Panther creek has fallen off a bit. Been kind of human the last few years

XMan
07-03-2012, 07:37 AM
What is yalls opinion on schools that have 1 program that is really good but then all the others really stink. For instance, you win state in volleyball but then only have 10 girls come out for basketball and win zero games or baseball wins big but football/basketball never make playoffs. Would you rather have this sort of situation or one where all the programs are .500 or so but none of them advance deep in the playoffs. Id also like to find out from programs where almost all of the sports are awesome (southlake/lake travis/woodlands/cuero/windthorst). How do those schools become this way.

Bullaholic
07-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Brock - Basketball -- they will have JV football the next 2 years then Varsity in 2014. Do you think it will kill the boys basketball program?

I would add Krum - Basketball to the list, and I think they are facing the same challenge as Brock now that they have added football.

greendawg84
07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Better add Richland Springs 6 man football 5 or 6 State Championships . I think they have won the last 3 years .

GrTigers6
07-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Better add Richland Springs 6 man football 5 or 6 State Championships . I think they have won the last 3 years .oh yeah! forgot about them

Rabid Cougar
07-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Nazareth- Girls Basketball.

Concrete half basketball court behind EVERY house! It is unreal.

coachc45
07-04-2012, 02:54 AM
Because Midway Little League All-Star teams are select teams that are put together and play year round from the age of 8. None of those little girls that you see on practice fields all over Hewitt and Woodway will never see the All-star team. The All-star team and coaches are known before the Litttle League season starts. Crawford is getting to be the same way.

Funny thing is , all those Little League World Series Championships and how many State Championships???

8 State Tournament Appearances (most all-time) with 2 State titles. Would say that they have had pretty good success! Coach, We both know that Little League success doesn't equate to High School success, but if anyone can make a case for it...these girls can.

Rabid Cougar
07-04-2012, 11:01 AM
8 State Tournament Appearances (most all-time) with 2 State titles. Would say that they have had pretty good success! Coach, We both know that Little League success doesn't equate to High School success, but if anyone can make a case for it...these girls can.

Yes I am very aware of thier state appearences at the High School level. Its like beating your head against a wall during LL District Tournemant time. It is the the same way on the Boys side.

We have not even mentioned West girl's softball. They also are Holy Terrors in Texas Teenage and on the high school level.

NastySlot
07-04-2012, 03:46 PM
I've alway been impressed with this program:

http://brenhamcub.tripod.com/

oh yeah someone spoke of Naz Basketball ol Joe Lombard did well there and has built quite a girls hoops program at Canyon.

Bullaholic
07-04-2012, 09:48 PM
I've alway been impressed with this program:

http://brenhamcub.tripod.com/

oh yeah someone spoke of Naz Basketball ol Joe Lombard did well there and has built quite a girls hoops program at Canyon.

I put up Canadian for girl's basketball in my original post, but I meant Canyon.

Phantom Stang
07-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Being that Brock's success in baseball hasn't hurt the basketball program, I think that Brock will go on doing well at just about anything they compete in. Be it athletic or academic.

LH Panther Mom
07-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Houston Yates - boys' basketball

Welcome to 3A :devil:

Rabid Cougar
07-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Being that it is almost Football season. I will go with Mart in football.

Ville-D
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Being that Brock's success in baseball hasn't hurt the basketball program, I think that Brock will go on doing well at just about anything they compete in. Be it athletic or academic.

I agree, my nephew is a Soph there and only plays basketball. I see them being a 2A power in most things for the next few years. A lot of the basketball parents were upset that they are adding Football, but probably the same amount are happy with it.

toddg
07-07-2012, 07:11 PM
I agree, my nephew is a Soph there and only plays basketball. I see them being a 2A power in most things for the next few years. A lot of the basketball parents were upset that they are adding Football, but probably the same amount are happy with it.

somebody needs to remind those fine blond folks..this is TEXAS!!

Gone Fishing
07-07-2012, 09:05 PM

I hope you are wrong... I am very up on LL rules and regulations for All Stars.