PDA

View Full Version : The autograph that got away

Cam
07-02-2012, 01:24 PM
For me, it was Joe Namath.
Fall of ??....Growing up on a golf course (Lakeside Country Club - Houston). My dad was a greenskeeper (ala Bill Murray in Caddyshack). He would sometimes come home for lunch. One day, he popped in and said, "Joe Namath is out on the 15th hole!". I grabbed a pen & paper and jumped on my spider bike. I pedaled as hard as I could to find him. I found him about to tee off on the 16th hole. I stopped about 20 yards away and waited to make my move. There were 4 fellas: Broadway Joe, WR Don Maynard, the backup QB whose name escapes me, and an unknown 4th guy. Joe was wearing, you guessed it, a white polo with green pants! They were in town for a game against the Oilers. After all tee'd off, I started to make my move towards them, then, I FROZE!!......Being the super shy kid that I was and still am, I couldn't get myself to pedal up to these guys......I watched as they moved on with their game. I went home...:bigcry:

I did it again back in 2004-ish. Had to fly to New York for business. Coming out of the restroom @ LaGuardia Airport, I noticed a fella standing against the wall just outside the restroom. It was Pudge Rodriguez all by himself. As I was walking right towards him, he made eye contact so I just said something like, "How you doing Pudge?".....He responded politely. Had a very brief conversation with him in spanish. But I didn't get his autograph. Didn't shake his hand either. Figured I was way too old for the autograph thing. Plus, he probably didn't wash his hands!...and, he might have thought I didn't either.....:D

And speaking of restrooms, at a Cowboys game. I was waiting for the wife to come out of the ladies restroom. All of a sudden I hear this voice, "Those damn women always gotta be pissin' don't they?!".....I turned to look at the fella. It was none other than Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson! He had the friendliest grin I've ever seen. I shook his hand and we stood there for several minutes pokin' more fun at our women and just crackin' up!!...That is, of course, until the ladies came out!...:crazy1:.....didn't get his autograph either.......

Rabid Cougar
07-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Athletes- too numerous to name.

But several notables that come to mind:

Laura Bush - twice... Once in the paint aisle in the Home Depot in Waco and at the Visitor Center on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Small world..am only 14 miles from the Ranch.

Patrick Cranshaw - "Blue" from Old School. Sat with him in the old American Eagle Terminal at DFW.

Ted Nugent -numerous times .. at the Bush's Chicken in China Spring.

Jerry Clowers- On a American Airline flight from DFW to Jackson, Miss. Sat right across the aisle from him.

I DO have Charles Duke's . Anyone care to guess who he is?

bigwood33
07-02-2012, 02:19 PM
I only ask for autographs for other people, and that isn't very often. Here is a partial list of the folks that I have seen in my travels (I have talked to almost all of them).

Bill Walton and Clyde Drexler (same flight out of IAH)
Senator Phil Gramm (Hobby and on my flight)
Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (Love Field)
Barry Switzer (Love Field)
Bobby Knight (Love Field)
Congressman Ralph Hall (Love Field)
Jerry Stackhouse (Kansas City Airport)
Avery Johnson (Love Field)
Laura Bush (Hobby but I didn't get to speak to her)
La'Roi Glover (St Louis airport)
Troy Aikman (Cowboys (a country bar) in 1989, his rookie year)
Moose Johnston (DFW, went through security right in front of him and his wife...very nice)
Russell Maryland (DFW)
The Undertaker (DFW but didn't speak to him as he was acting like he was asleep)

That's all I can think of right now but I may come back with a longer list.

Gsquared
07-02-2012, 02:32 PM
I only ask for autographs for other people, and that isn't very often. Here is a partial list of the folks that I have seen in my travels (I have talked to almost all of them).

Bill Walton and Clyde Drexler (same flight out of IAH)
Senator Phil Gramm (Hobby and on my flight)
Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (Love Field)
Barry Switzer (Love Field)
Bobby Knight (Love Field)
Congressman Ralph Hall (Love Field)
Jerry Stackhouse (Kansas City Airport)
Avery Johnson (Love Field)
Laura Bush (Hobby but I didn't get to speak to her)
La'Roi Glover (St Louis airport)
Troy Aikman (Cowboys (a country bar) in 1989, his rookie year)
Moose Johnston (DFW, went through security right in front of him and his wife...very nice)
Russell Maryland (DFW)
The Undertaker (DFW but didn't speak to him as he was acting like he was asleep)

That's all I can think of right now but I may come back with a longer list.
I bet your still pissed about not gettin Kepdawg's autograph in Denton that night. I tried but he was eatin a corny dog and I didnt wanna bother him.

Old Tiger
07-02-2012, 02:32 PM
I met kepdawg at the SLC/Miami Northwestern game.

Gsquared
07-02-2012, 02:38 PM
I met kepdawg at the SLC/Miami Northwestern game.
Did you get his autograph?

Old Tiger
07-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Did you get his autograph?He was too shy. lol

Gsquared
07-02-2012, 02:43 PM
He was too shy. lol
Crap, we coulda sold it to somebody from Jasper or Buna

Old Tiger
07-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Jasper sux!
Crap, we coulda sold it to somebody from Jasper or Buna

Pendragon13
07-02-2012, 03:07 PM
I went to a Dave Matthews Band concert at the AAC a good while back, me and the people I went with sat down and noticed this group of girls looking STRAIGHT at us like they were trying to get our attention. Since I had a date with me I couldn't really bask in the glory, so I kind of just sheepishly waved back while telling my date "I have no idea who those girls are"...and then my buddy taps me on the shoulder and points backwards......Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash were sitting directly behind us.:doh:

bigwood33
07-02-2012, 03:08 PM
I bet your still pissed about not gettin Kepdawg's autograph in Denton that night. I tried but he was eatin a corny dog and I didnt wanna bother him.
I should have gotten Kep's "John Hancock" the first time I met him...he's so reclusive, who knows the next time I'll see him! I "treated" him to the Celina v Ferris game in '09 at Fouts Field because he had no job OR money! Back then he was just an unemployed slacker ;) Now look at him, these days he gets to be a spotter for G2 and TXB...when they can't find anyone else. Now that I think about it, that gig probably doesn't pay too well either!

Gsquared
07-02-2012, 03:17 PM
I should have gotten Kep's "John Hancock" the first time I met him...he's so reclusive, who knows the next time I'll see him! I "treated" him to the Celina v Ferris game in '09 at Fouts Field because he had no job OR money! Back then he was just an unemployed slacker ;) Now look at him, these days he gets to be a spotter for G2 and TXB...when they can't find anyone else. Now that I think about it, that gig probably doesn't pay too well either!
Doesnt pay well? He got all the Pizza Hut, hot dogs, and nachos he could eat!!

bigwood33
07-02-2012, 03:53 PM
doesnt pay well? He got all the pizza hut, hot dogs, and nachos he could eat!!
What was I thinking? :D

bigwood33
07-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Oh, I forgot, I met Kinky Friedman in the KC airport. I seemed to be the only person to recognize him and let me tell you, that man can talk! :D
I also met the great sports journalist Frank DeFord in the Austin airport. No one recognized him and when I approached him I simply asked him if he was Frank DeFord, he said yes, and I then told him how much I have enjoyed his work, both in SI and on TV. He was very kind and seemed appreciative and humble. He said that he had been a guest lecturer for a journalism grad school class at UT for a couple of days.

regaleagle
07-03-2012, 07:31 AM
George Bush and Laura
Byron Nelson
Willie Nelson(several times) and his band
Waylon Jennings
Darrell Royal
Earl Campbell
Lydon and Ladybird Johnson
ZZ Top Band
George Strait
George Jones
Tammye Wynette

These are some of the more well-known acquaintances I have either met, had a beer with, shook hands with, or talked personally with that I can remember. I'm sure there are others that escape my memory for now.

regaleagle
07-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Of course, I used to shoot pool with Michael Irving and a few other Cowboys all the time. Geno Petralli and I were deer hunting buddies also. Heck, I can't remember all the people I've had the pleasure of meeting all these years, but it's been fun!

Cam
07-03-2012, 09:56 AM
George Bush and Laura
Byron Nelson
Willie Nelson(several times) and his band
Waylon Jennings
Darrell Royal
Earl Campbell
Lydon and Ladybird Johnson
ZZ Top Band
George Strait
George Jones
Tammye Wynette

These are some of the more well-known acquaintances I have either met, had a beer with, shook hands with, or talked personally with that I can remember. I'm sure there are others that escape my memory for now.

Funny you mention ZZ Top. Funny story: My brother-in-law used to be one of the original Ronald McDonalds. One of only 12 in the USA. So, if you ever saw Ronald in Texas in the 70's and 80's, it was probably my dumbass bro-in-law! Anyway, he (Ronald) and Dusty Hill (ZZ bass player) were scheduled to be honorary chairman at a parade in Denton. So, he got to meet Dusty. I asked him if he asked for Dusty's autograph. To which he replied, "Hell no, he didn't ask for mine!"........:crazy1:

turbostud
07-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I have Kurt Cobain's autograph. Thinking of getting it authenticated and selling it.