07-01-2012, 08:24 AM
4pm today!

Ville-D
07-01-2012, 04:06 PM
DII Pools

http://goo.gl/KSuOU

Matthew328
07-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Stephenville and Yoe in the same pool should be fun....Princeton is no slouch either

FB-fanatic
07-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Noticed the same thing about S'ville and Cameron.

Yoe_09
07-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Yeah, Pool A is kind of brutal. Pool H sticks out to me as well.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-01-2012, 07:37 PM
So Port Isabel has Springtown, Lorena, and Beckville.

Never heard of Beckville. Anyone know anything about Springtown's and Lorena's 7 on 7 teams?

What I know about Port Isabel's 7 on 7 team, all but 2 members of the team are incoming Juniors. So they're young but pretty athletic. I'm hoping PI turns some heads at the tournament.

Oh, and you Navasota peeps. Watch out for La Villa. They may be 1A, but they are a very strong 7 on 7 team. Port Isabel's only loss so far this summer is to La Villa.

CTS
07-01-2012, 08:29 PM
La Villa example is a perfect reason why I don't get too excited about 7on7. I have no idea what Iraan, Lexington or Melissa have in 7on7, but I'm pretty sure one or more of them can beat us in College Station. Last year at the state tournament we beat Plano, Abilene and Klein Oak the first day and I thought wow. Then we turn around the second day and lose to El Paso Riverside in the first game and go home. I said never again, I'll just enjoy 7on7 for what it is!

I was talking to Coach Jackson at the Cinco Ranch tournament and he actually said there was no way he wanted to win the tournament in College Station. He said from a coaches perspective he wanted the kids to get extra reps against good competition and also "eyeball" folks like Navasota and WOS they may see in the fall. I wonder how many coaches feel that way vs how many go to College Station wanting to be the champs.

FB-fanatic
07-01-2012, 09:09 PM
La Villa example is a perfect reason why I don't get too excited about 7on7. I have no idea what Iraan, Lexington or Melissa have in 7on7, but I'm pretty sure one or more of them can beat us in College Station. Last year at the state tournament we beat Plano, Abilene and Klein Oak the first day and I thought wow. Then we turn around the second day and lose to El Paso Riverside in the first game and go home. I said never again, I'll just enjoy 7on7 for what it is!

I was talking to Coach Jackson at the Cinco Ranch tournament and he actually said there was no way he wanted to win the tournament in College Station. He said from a coaches perspective he wanted the kids to get extra reps against good competition and also "eyeball" folks like Navasota and WOS they may see in the fall. I wonder how many coaches feel that way vs how many go to College Station wanting to be the champs.

That last paragraph is ridiculous. Why would you *not* want to go out there and kick arse? Pop a hundred bucks on hotel and another 50 in gas and there "is no way I wanna win the tourney"? That is what people say when they want to cover there butt for doing bad at CS. Now, if you say it doesn't overly bum you out if you don't do so well... I can go along with that. 7v7 provides some extened team play into the summer and team comoradari, along with timing with your receivers. Can't hurt. Now do I believe for a minute we could beat Waco Midway in 11v11... no. But it did show that we, unlike others in the district not going to the state tourney, have and can improve ourselves before that Fall, then "yes".

CTS
07-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Fb-fanatic I respectful disagree on this point. In LM's case, you're fighting the battle of 16-17 yr old kids not being overconfident dropping to 3A. I know our coaches have preached from day 1 it will be a struggle. Think of it from a coaches perspective and I can definitely see the thought process of...I'd really rather us not win it.

Think of how many times during the fall when someone is lazy or the team is practicing bad he could go back to.."remember when that 3A team beat you this summer". I know for a fact on NONE of the five state champions in La Marque's history were they 7 on 7 state champs that year.

Maybe I'm not communicating it correctly but it made perfect sense to me.

Manso/V8
07-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Fb-fanatic I respectful disagree on this point. In LM's case, you're fighting the battle of 16-17 yr old kids not being overconfident dropping to 3A. I know our coaches have preached from day 1 it will be a struggle. Think of it from a coaches perspective and I can definitely see the thought process of...I'd really rather us not win it.

Think of how many times during the fall when someone is lazy or the team is practicing bad he could go back to.."remember when that 3A team beat you this summer". I know for a fact on NONE of the five state champions in La Marque's history were they 7 on 7 state champs that year.

Maybe I'm not communicating it correctly but it made perfect sense to me.

I see your point and agree. However, for a fan who doesn't have a dog in this fight, the 7on7 state tourney may be the only chance for LaMarque to play Stephenville this year.....that could be interesting.

Gone Fishing
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Guys, 16 and 17 year football players, football coaches and parents and fans are going to want to win, play hard, work on skill players fundamentals etc. etc etc. But it is not football. Repeat, it is not football. Repeat, it is not football.............take 7 on 7 for what it is and don't try to make it like its your football team.

buckeyebob
07-02-2012, 04:46 AM

Never heard of Beckville. Anyone know anything about Springtown's and Lorena's 7 on 7 teams?

What I know about Port Isabel's 7 on 7 team, all but 2 members of the team are incoming Juniors. So they're young but pretty athletic. I'm hoping PI turns some heads at the tournament.

Oh, and you Navasota peeps. Watch out for La Villa. They may be 1A, but they are a very strong 7 on 7 team. Port Isabel's only loss so far this summer is to La Villa.

Beckville is 1A, Div 1, wedged between Carthage, Longview, Kilgore, Henderson, Chapel Hill, & Gilmer. What else do you need to know?

Matthew328
07-02-2012, 10:14 AM

Springtown is a solid team, they have a monster TE who is committed to TCU

Ville-D
07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Anyone know anything about Springtown's and Lorena's 7 on 7 teams?

Springtown is the only team to get the best of Stephenville this year.

Matthew328
07-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I dont believe that was Stephenville's #1 team though

Ville-D
07-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I dont believe that was Stephenville's #1 team though

It was Rock-Paper-Scissors.... for seeding only.

FB-fanatic
07-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Springtown is a solid team, they have a monster TE who is committed to TCU

My research did find the big tightend with a wide body. Worries me a bit, but we did handle 6'3 or 6'4 widebody from Waco Midway. Actually played through a scenario in my head to double on him.

Lorena is pretty even split between Jr's and Sr's. Jr QB saw a lot of action late last year, going 3-deep in playoffs, eventually playing #3 Coldspring to within 6. A couple of Sr TE receivers who saw good action last year and Jr's with good hands. Defense has been solid late in 7 on 7 season, with a taller LB type anchoring the middle. A safety or corner that placed 1st in district in 100m.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-02-2012, 11:34 AM
@ BuckeyeBob - Oh boy, so my Tarpons will be facing some of that East Texas speed. Awesome :)

Port Isabel is a vastly majority Jr. team with a couple of Srs. and a couple of Sophs. They are pretty small for the most part, but what they lack in size they make up for in quickness and shiftiness. They do have size at Safety and MLB. Hopefully they can contain that big TE from Springtown.

Matthew328
07-02-2012, 11:51 AM
It was Rock-Paper-Scissors.... for seeding only.

I thought maybe they played in Glen Rose or something..lol

Old Tiger
07-02-2012, 11:56 AM
@ BuckeyeBob - Oh boy, so my Tarpons will be facing some of that East Texas speed. Awesome :)

Port Isabel is a vastly majority Jr. team with a couple of Srs. and a couple of Sophs. They are pretty small for the most part, but what they lack in size they make up for in quickness and shiftiness. They do have size at Safety and MLB. Hopefully they can contain that big TE from Springtown.Well that's okay cause I remember Port Isabel having 4.3 speed all over the place!

Matthew328
07-02-2012, 11:57 AM
My look at Pool A-D

http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=798&tid=156072049&mid=156072049&sid=984&style=2

Old Tiger
07-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Is FW All Saints the school that Jake Oliver plays for?

Ville-D
07-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Is FW All Saints the school that Jake Oliver plays for?

No he plays for Dallas Jesuit.

Ville-D
07-02-2012, 12:03 PM
My look at Pool A-D

http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=798&tid=156072049&mid=156072049&sid=984&style=2

Good stuff. Thanks for feeding our desire for football info.

Old Tiger
07-02-2012, 12:03 PM
No he plays for Dallas Jesuit.Well crap no need to go to CS then.

Ville-D
07-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Well crap no need to go to CS then.

Why not?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Well that's okay cause I remember Port Isabel having 4.3 speed all over the place!

Excellent use of the sarcasm button there, sir. Port Isabel did have some 4.3 speed......back in 2002-2003. These kids aren't as fast but they're small and shifty.

Old Tiger
07-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Excellent use of the sarcasm button there, sir. Port Isabel did have some 4.3 speed......back in 2002-2003. These kids aren't as fast but they're small and shifty.Aren't they all down there? lol

BILLYFRED0000
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
I always like to see 7 on 7. I like teams that like to win. It carry's over IMHO. Of course some places it may not. But in Celina heart is evaluated as much as anything. When we won the first one in 2000 (still 2a) and beat teams like southlake plano etc it was a huge booster for the boys. We were in the middle of that 68 game win streak and four state titles and it was a nice confidence builder.

Matthew328
07-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Pool E-H

buckeyebob
07-05-2012, 05:46 AM

Port Isabel is a vastly majority Jr. team with a couple of Srs. and a couple of Sophs. They are pretty small for the most part, but what they lack in size they make up for in quickness and shiftiness. They do have size at Safety and MLB. Hopefully they can contain that big TE from Springtown.

Could see several if you get out of pool play...San Augustine is just down the road..2A...regretfully, we will not be there this year...young team & no QB yet...as Mathew said...inconsistant.

Matthew328
07-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Pool I-L

MGAR
07-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Could see several if you get out of pool play...San Augustine is just down the road..2A...regretfully, we will not be there this year...young team & no QB yet...as Mathew said...inconsistant.

San Augustine is 1A bob, 1A... one aye...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/NY-1A.svg/600px-NY-1A.svg.png