PDA

View Full Version : Move ins

catfish
06-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Since we are getting close to starting a new football season,and some schools will get some move ins,I would like to express some feelings I have on the subject...Why is it all right for a parent to seek out a new school district that have good extracurricular activities that fit the needs of their children,except athletics...If a child has interest in band,drama ag or any other field,the parents are seen as good providers for their child.But,if that same parent looks for a school with a strong athletic program,then the parents and coaches of the new school are made to feel as if they have done something wrong...There is a major difference in a coach going to a different city and actively trying to convince a player or his parents to move to his school, and a parent deciding that he would like to move his family to a new environment and talking to different principals and coaches of several schools to try and find the best fit for his child....Do people move to winning programs?Of course they do.If you think Lake Travis,Smithson Valley,Westlake and other very successful programs of the last 20 years have so many winning years without move ins you are sadly mistaken....I guess this concerns me because these players and their parents come to read about football on these forums and sometimes are made to feel like cheaters....I know a lot if it is just football banter,but for those of you who are bitter about the success of winning programs need to be more supportive of your own school and not pick on innocent kids, their parents,and the coaching staffs of those schools....There,got that off my chest!

coachc45
06-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Since we are getting close to starting a new football season,and some schools will get some move ins,I would like to express some feelings I have on the subject...Why is it all right for a parent to seek out a new school district that have good extracurricular activities that fit the needs of their children,except athletics...If a child has interest in band,drama ag or any other field,the parents are seen as good providers for their child.But,if that same parent looks for a school with a strong athletic program,then the parents and coaches of the new school are made to feel as if they have done something wrong...There is a major difference in a coach going to a different city and actively trying to convince a player or his parents to move to his school, and a parent deciding that he would like to move his family to a new environment and talking to different principals and coaches of several schools to try and find the best fit for his child....Do people move to winning programs?Of course they do.If you think Lake Travis,Smithson Valley,Westlake and other very successful programs of the last 20 years have so many winning years without move ins you are sadly mistaken....I guess this concerns me because these players and their parents come to read about football on these forums and sometimes are made to feel like cheaters....I know a lot if it is just football banter,but for those of you who are bitter about the success of winning programs need to be more supportive of your own school and not pick on innocent kids, their parents,and the coaching staffs of those schools....There,got that off my chest!

So what school did you move to for athletic reasons?

FB-fanatic
06-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Son went to Air It Out camp at Austin Westlake a few weeks ago. While watching the group of Junior and Senior QB's and receivers going through reps, couldn't help but notice a receiver that looked *way* out of place. He was all of 5'2, 110 lbs, flaming red hair. As I watched him go through reps, couldn't help notice his skills and athleticism fell well behind the others. Made a few decent catches, but definitely nothing to write home about. I assumed he was a kid who was just really slow developing, and kinda empathized with him. His dad was there filming everything. So late in the session on the last day I took the opportunity to visit with his dad and told him his son had done pretty well catching, while maybe thinking a little different. Asked where his son went to HS at. He said "funny you ask, we are kinda shopping around HS as we speak". He said his son has always had aspirations to play in the NFL (duh, who at this camp didn't feel similar), and who was he to disappoint him. So he said they were currently at a private school in Johnson City, but were looking to change schools. So after much research, they had decided on......(drum roll).... Lake Travis! Really, imagine that.

I subsequently found out from the boys that the kid was a 7th or 8th grader.

Manso/V8
06-30-2012, 08:47 PM
I get the feeling news about some move-ins at Wimberley is about to break.

catfish
06-30-2012, 09:43 PM
I get the feeling news about some move-ins at Wimberley is about to break.

Have not been in Wimberley for a couple of years,but if they are getting a move in,I hope he is a stud!

Tejastrue
06-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Latest news is we got us a stud lineman 6'6" 310 and the family has already moved in and will be opening up a good old fashioned burger joint with grass fed beef and organic sides brought in fresh daily. I heard they are from Stephenville. :D

Manso/V8
06-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Latest news is we got us a stud lineman 6'6" 310 and the family has already moved in and will be opening up a good old fashioned burger joint with grass fed beef and organic sides brought in fresh daily. I heard they are from Stephenville. :D

The Wimberley Chamber of Commerce and Wimberley Booster Club seems to do a great job attracting the right types of businesses, and business owners to town. A preacher once told me, we shouldn't recruit members of other churches, but there is nothing wrong with creating greener pastures for the flock to graze.

What a great opportunity for this young man. At 6'6" 310, he was probably too small to see much playing time in Stephenville.

Gone Fishing
06-30-2012, 11:20 PM

HaHAHAHAHAHA, very good. I was hoping more like a 6'4" 210 receiver...

Aesculus gilmus
07-01-2012, 07:53 AM
I read on another forum the other day that the Atlanta Rabbits are going to welcome eight transfers to their team this fall. That is more confirmation of what we already knew, that the second-year coach has generated enthusiasm for their program.

Honestly, I am sure there are parents who have moved to the Gilmer ISD because of wanting their boys to participate in Coach Traylor's program.

And if I were, say, a sixth grader in 2012 and lived in a nearby district to the Gilmer ISD, I could easily picture myself begging my parents for permission to get into Gilmer somehow, either by transferring or moving into it.

Gilmer and all these other schools you mention don't recruit, but the success of their programs makes the young athletes in their vicinity "reverse recruit" the districts.

Rabid Cougar
07-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Check out all the move ins to South Lake Carroll for the last 20 years for football purposes.Easily done in Metroplex. Parents don't have to move jobs except increase commute time.

catfish
07-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Most of the schools mentioned in this thread as schools that kids and parents want to move to be part of,have been BAD at certain times. Wimberley from 94-97 was terrible.Lake Travis was awful up until 2002,so it is not like they have always been the way they are.Good administrators hire good coaches that know how to instill winning attitudes in their programs.It never hurts to have move ins,but it is more important for coaches to train their players in off season programs to be able to get every ounce of talent from average athletes during the season,make these average kids believe they are winners. That is what "great" coaches do.

Gone Fishing
07-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Most of the schools mentioned in this thread as schools that kids and parents want to move to be part of,have been BAD at certain times. Wimberley from 94-97 was terrible.Lake Travis was awful up until 2002,so it is not like they have always been the way they are.Good administrators hire good coaches that know how to instill winning attitudes in their programs.It never hurts to have move ins,but it is more important for coaches to train their players in off season programs to be able to get every ounce of talent from average athletes during the season,make these average kids believe they are winners. That is what "great" coaches do.

Agree catfish, I believe those years that Wimberley was terrible was the years right after our current Head coach left the first time, think goodness we got him back in the early 2000's. We have a Great football program in Wimberley that also spawns the parents/community to be involved and help push the program too. Unbelievable HC, asst coaches, parents and community support in Wimberley. I'll bet you Lake Travis and others (other great programs in all classes) have the same thing. Move ins are a minor part of the success in my opinion.

Tejastrue
07-01-2012, 08:22 PM
HaHAHAHAHAHA, very good. I was hoping more like a 6'4" 210 receiver...

Did I mention he had a little brother? ;)

Gone Fishing
07-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Good then, I hope he's in High School. Lol

hookandladder
07-01-2012, 08:31 PM

I have some friends in Marble Falls , let's just say their football talent is getting better day by day.

catfish
07-01-2012, 09:34 PM
I have some friends in Marble Falls , let's just say their football talent is getting better day by day.

With Todd Dodge there,LT,Drip,and the rest of that district better get ready.It may take a few years,but my vote is MF will be a contender shortly.

OldBison75
07-02-2012, 12:17 AM
It is interesting that this thread came out. I was just looking at the thread on the Davis kid from Sealy. In looking at the you tube video that someone posted--I noticed that at the 8 second time frame, there is the name of the Head Coach and under that is a coach position that is shown as Recruiting Coordinator. I know that is probably not really what it seems, but it takes alot of nerve to even call someone that in high school.

Saggy Aggie
07-02-2012, 12:33 AM
It is interesting that this thread came out. I was just looking at the thread on the Davis kid from Sealy. In looking at the you tube video that someone posted--I noticed that at the 8 second time frame, there is the name of the Head Coach and under that is a coach position that is shown as Recruiting Coordinator. I know that is probably not really what it seems, but it takes alot of nerve to even call someone that in high school. are they not saying that that coach is the one who helps the Sealy athletes that are being recruited to play college football?

Cam
07-02-2012, 10:38 AM
:taunt:
With Todd Dodge there,LT,Drip,and the rest of that district better get ready.It may take a few years,but my vote is MF will be a contender shortly.

fyi: LT is now 5A.....
Nah!....Burnet will still kick their arse more often than not!:D......new Burnet coach Kurt Jones goin' to make some noise the next few years....mark my words! That is, of course, if Burnet kids stay put! lol.......I know my kid won't be enrollin' at Marble anytime soon!.....but I've heard of some kids who did move in from around the area... I could name some but I won't....don't matter........So be it, I like the challenge of takin' on Goliath, and that's the mindset I try to teach my kids. I think it makes them work harder to be the best (academically or athletically) and not be afraid to take on the big bad bullies of the world!.................
My oldest boy never lost to Marble & I'll bet when my younger one gets there (if he decides to play) he won't lose to them either!.....:taunt:........Go Dawgs!

Manso/V8
07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
It is interesting that this thread came out. I was just looking at the thread on the Davis kid from Sealy. In looking at the you tube video that someone posted--I noticed that at the 8 second time frame, there is the name of the Head Coach and under that is a coach position that is shown as Recruiting Coordinator. I know that is probably not really what it seems, but it takes alot of nerve to even call someone that in high school.

I think I have seen some type of recruiting coordinator position, or similar titles at other schools...........I took it not to recruit players, but to assist players that are getting recruited or would like to get recruited, and to take some of the pressure off of the head coach. You can imagine with a prospect like Seal-Jones, as well as Davis, plus probably a few others, it probably got pretty hectic at Sealy with recruiters calling/visiting.
I had a chance to talk to Lee Fedora, the coach at Navasota, last summer. he told me that Navasota had something like 12 kids play college ball at various levels off of their 2010 team, and that over 50 recruiters had visited since that spring. Some schools maybe need a recruiting coordinator for the program and the kid's benefit.

regaleagle
07-04-2012, 10:02 PM
That sounds like a very lucid and reasonable assumption to me also. Afterall, college costs these days are astronomical, and the object of high school is a prepatory for the world beyond...whether it be college or the transition to the working world. Anything a coaching staff can do to assist in that leap should be recieved with open arms.

Necks88Fan
07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
I think I have seen some type of recruiting coordinator position, or similar titles at other schools...........I took it not to recruit players, but to assist players that are getting recruited or would like to get recruited, and to take some of the pressure off of the head coach. You can imagine with a prospect like Seal-Jones, as well as Davis, plus probably a few others, it probably got pretty hectic at Sealy with recruiters calling/visiting.
I had a chance to talk to Lee Fedora, the coach at Navasota, last summer. he told me that Navasota had something like 12 kids play college ball at various levels off of their 2010 team, and that over 50 recruiters had visited since that spring. Some schools maybe need a recruiting coordinator for the program and the kid's benefit.

Man, that would be awesome to have someone dedicated to helping place these athletes to play at the next level.

OldBison75
07-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Let me clarify my post---I was not insinuating, and do not believe that this title indicates that Sealy is recruiting kids to play football. I just thought that the title was a pretty gutsy thing to have in a high school program. It opens up the enemies to question what that person really does.

I have been watching Sealy football for years and they have always had home grown athletes in plenty of numbers that they did not need to recruit anybody.

MGAR
07-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Many schools have a recruiting coordinator..

bwdlionfan
07-05-2012, 04:03 PM

That poor guy must have been too small to be a starter in Stephenville

Ville-D
07-05-2012, 05:11 PM
That poor guy must have been too small to be a starter in Stephenville

Actually he was actually just a hair too big. We recently started a reverse-slot-limit management program for our athletes and it tops out at 6'4" (bottom is 5'8").

Football DAD
07-05-2012, 05:20 PM
wouldn't surprise me.

Gone Fishing
07-05-2012, 07:32 PM
wouldn't surprise me.

Cat Springs? Is that close to New Ulm? or do I have my golf courses (or should I say my fishing lakes messed up?

Tejastrue
07-05-2012, 09:28 PM

Okay folks... this was a joke and a play on our last well known move-ins (Lamberts) and their pizza business. Gone Fishing saw right thru it but I thought I would end this now after getting a PM about it. :crazy1:

Ville-D
07-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Okay folks... this was a joke and a play on our last well known move-ins (Lamberts) and their pizza business. Gone Fishing saw right thru it but I thought I would end this now after getting a PM about it. :crazy1:

I thought it was funny. We dont have any 6'6" 310er's running around here. I wish we did though!

Tejastrue
07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I thought it was funny. We dont have any 6'6" 310er's running around here. I wish we did though!

Humor was the intent. Adding that they were from Stephenville was a nice touch, don't you think?

Additup
07-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I knew a 300+ win coach who pointed out he never had a move in worth a $@&! I wouldn't go that far, but I was hard pressed to find a counterexample. Move-Ins rarely end up half as good as daddy advertised on move in day... if they're from out of state they really struggle with UIL football rules, intensity of practice schedule and Texas weather. I have learned to ask "what will your previous coach say about you when I call him later today?" Only thing better than the answers is hearing the coach say "Who?" when we call to find out if stories match up.

Ville-D
07-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Humor was the intent. Adding that they were from Stephenville was a nice touch, don't you think?

I thought so.

LHPfactory
07-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Son went to Air It Out camp at Austin Westlake a few weeks ago. While watching the group of Junior and Senior QB's and receivers going through reps, couldn't help but notice a receiver that looked *way* out of place. He was all of 5'2, 110 lbs, flaming red hair. As I watched him go through reps, couldn't help notice his skills and athleticism fell well behind the others. Made a few decent catches, but definitely nothing to write home about. I assumed he was a kid who was just really slow developing, and kinda empathized with him. His dad was there filming everything. So late in the session on the last day I took the opportunity to visit with his dad and told him his son had done pretty well catching, while maybe thinking a little different. Asked where his son went to HS at. He said "funny you ask, we are kinda shopping around HS as we speak". He said his son has always had aspirations to play in the NFL (duh, who at this camp didn't feel similar), and who was he to disappoint him. So he said they were currently at a private school in Johnson City, but were looking to change schools. So after much research, they had decided on......(drum roll).... Lake Travis! Really, imagine that.

I subsequently found out from the boys that the kid was a 7th or 8th grader.

I know the boy you are talking about, I have coached him for the past 6 years on the youth fields, He is going to 6th grade and actually weights about 85-90 lbs. He hits like he is 120lbs though. He is going to play in mid tex league this year and will be going to LT, he is a player and will lay the wood when the pads are on. I tried to get him this year, but his family is going to get him going in the LT feeder programs.

LHPfactory
07-06-2012, 01:30 PM
I knew a 300+ win coach who pointed out he never had a move in worth a $@&! I wouldn't go that far, but I was hard pressed to find a counterexample. Move-Ins rarely end up half as good as daddy advertised on move in day... if they're from out of state they really struggle with UIL football rules, intensity of practice schedule and Texas weather. I have learned to ask "what will your previous coach say about you when I call him later today?" Only thing better than the answers is hearing the coach say "Who?" when we call to find out if stories match up.

I agree, once in a while you get a good addition like LH did in Doug Allman, 2006 and 2007 Fullback. But usually they dont live up to their billing or look physically impressive but can't perform under the lights. I've heard about several kids moving in to LH over the years is the spring and they never see them after two a days....

catfish
07-06-2012, 01:53 PM
I agree, once in a while you get a good addition like LH did in Doug Allman, 2006 and 2007 Fullback. But usually they dont live up to their billing or look physically impressive but can't perform under the lights. I've heard about several kids moving in to LH over the years is the spring and they never see them after two a days....

This is true,lots of move-ins can't take the increase in in and offseason work and the higher intensity level it takes to be part of a program like those in Liberty hill,LT,and other successful programs.If you haven't come up through those type of training programs,it is quite a shock for those who move-in in their jr or sr years.

NastySlot
07-06-2012, 01:55 PM

was just curious if you know the kid what private school was the poster talking about in Johnson City? I can't think of one there was probably thinking Faith Academy in MFs' might be the closest.

being that young I know the Catholic school in Fred. has had kids from JC in the past could it be that one?

LHPfactory
07-06-2012, 01:58 PM
was just curious if you know the kid what private school was the poster talking about in Johnson City? I can't think of one there was probably thinking Faith Academy in MFs' might be the closest.

being that young I know the Catholic school in Fred. has had kids from JC in the past could it be that one?

You nailed it with MFFA.....

NastySlot
07-06-2012, 02:01 PM
You nailed it with MFFA.....

they ve been getting better with their six man program.

LHPfactory
07-06-2012, 02:12 PM
they ve been getting better with their six man program.

They moved up to DIII private school 11 man at 2012 realignment. Its small but a quality program, they should do ok after they adjust.

Additup
07-06-2012, 06:06 PM
I agree, once in a while you get a good addition like LH did in Doug Allman, 2006 and 2007 Fullback. But usually they dont live up to their billing or look physically impressive but can't perform under the lights. I've heard about several kids moving in to LH over the years is the spring and they never see them after two a days....Did Allman move in from Round Rock? I heard yall had a lot of RR move ins after yall won a few state titles. Allman definitely helped.

LHPfactory
07-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Did Allman move in from Round Rock? I heard yall had a lot of RR move ins after yall won a few state titles. Allman definitely helped.

He moved in from RR, and no he was the only move in around that era. He was good, but was amongst a collection of good ball players. Brent Bode and Dustin Gonzalez each hit 2500 yards in the TB spot during the 06 and 07 championship seasons respectively. The offensive line was relentless during this time. After years of Good running backs, the 2008 team just didnt have a Lawhorn, Kocuiba, Escamilla, Allman, Bode, Or Gonzalez..... to fill the backfield.

So, no move ins were not what did it, it was home grown, and 1 exceptional move in added to the bunch.

regaleagle
07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
I would think move-ins would occur more frequently in metro and surrounding areas where the athlete can either move laterally across a classification, or drop down one or two classifications (5A to 3A) depending upon his talent-level, the team he's joining, and the position he plays. This seems to be the case in most of the move-in scenarios. How often do move-ins actually jump up in classes to get more exposure, and still be able to compete at the higher level with their new team?

gatordaze
07-10-2012, 02:51 PM
When is a kid considered a move in? My sons moved to Celina in 7th grade and will be Seniors this season. I am not sure if they have lived up to their hype as I am not sure how much they came to town with since they were that young.

nt7on7
07-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Your kids didn't live up to the hype at all, Gatordaze. Jake's urine was supposed to cure all sorts of maladies and it hasn't worked for me.

orange machine
07-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Your kids didn't live up to the hype at all, Gatordaze. Jake's urine was supposed to cure all sorts of maladies and it hasn't worked for me.

WOW:spitlol:

LHPfactory
07-11-2012, 08:03 AM
When is a kid considered a move in? My sons moved to Celina in 7th grade and will be Seniors this season. I am not sure if they have lived up to their hype as I am not sure how much they came to town with since they were that young.

Not so much in 7th, of course alot of families will put their kids in a district because of the sports programs. If the Kids come up through the JR High, I would consider them home grown. I view a move in is a player who comes in sometime in HS for the purpose of playing a particular sport.

I moved to LH in November 2004, I could see what was developing here, Good Academics and Athletics, Not to small or to big.... Just what I wanted for my boys.