PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Tour De France Updates

Phil C
06-30-2012, 01:25 PM
The 2012 Tour De France (TDF) has started with a five mile time trial today and it will be shown again tonight on NBCSP if you want to watch it at 7 P.M. You can check your tv guide for other available times.

Today's stage was won by Fabian Cancellara with Bradley Wiggins coming in second. Tony Martine would have given them a close race but he lost time due to bicycle troubles.

A great race is just starting with the two favorites being Cadel Evans of Australia and Bradley Wiggins of Great Britain but there could be surprises. Unfortunately one bad day or unfortunate crashes can be a factor. One top contender Andy Schleck is unfortunately unable to race due to an injury earlier in the month but if it had to be one race for to happen this is the year because the setup of the race favors Wiggins and Evans and he will be back.

It has just started. Tomorrow should be a sprinter's race so let's get ready for a great TDF in July!

Phil C
07-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Peter Sagan won the state today just ahead of Fabian Cancellara who will still retain the yellow jersey but he is not an overall contender. This is great news for Radio Shack. The tour is just beginning so look for some exciting times ahead.

I like the Tour De France.

ogg
07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
How's my boy Chris Horner doing?

Phil C
07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
How's my boy Chris Horner doing?

I will try to find out later. Today's stage was won by Mark Cavendish in an exciting spring at the end. Fabian still kept the yellow jersey. Tomorrow's race should be another exciting one.

Phil C
07-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately Chris Horner had some problems the second day and probably won't contend but be a supporting rider.
Today Peter Sagan won another stage and Fabian retains yellow.

AP Panther Fan
07-03-2012, 03:42 PM

I tried not to open this thread, but just COULD NOT help myself .... have fun Phil C. :)

Phil C
07-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Today's stage was won by Andre Greipel. March Cavendish may have won it but was in an unfortunate crash in the last 3 km. He did finish the race and will no doubt fight for another win later. Today after three days in Belgium the racers entered into France where except for a brief time through Switzerland will remain there. Hang onto your hats because it is going to get better.

Phil C
07-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Today's Stage should be over soon and it will most likely be a sprinter's day again. Mark Cavendish is upset that he hasn't had much help because they are mainly supporting Wiggins to try to win the yellow jersey. Today live he used the F word which was most unfortunate and it will no doubt be edited out on later showings so if you missed it or didn't record it I am sure it will be censored but I am sure someone will post it on youtube. It goes to show why in the past overall contenders don't have sprinters on their teams and vice versa. Mark should have known what would happen when he joined that team and left a good supporting team.

ogg
07-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Today's Stage should be over soon and it will most likely be a sprinter's day again. Mark Cavendish is upset that he hasn't had much help because they are mainly supporting Wiggins to try to win the yellow jersey. Today live he used the F word which was most unfortunate and it will no doubt be edited out on later showings so if you missed it or didn't record it I am sure it will be censored but I am sure someone will post it on youtube. It goes to show why in the past overall contenders don't have sprinters on their teams and vice versa. Mark should have known what would happen when he joined that team and left a good supporting team.

Mark's probably still bruised up from yesterdays crash.

Phil C
07-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Mark's probably still bruised up from yesterdays crash.

I am sure you are right. Andre Greipel won again for the second day in a row. Once again a crash occurred in the last 3 km. :( Anyway Fabian retains yellow another day and I think he will keep it till Saturday but that will probably chance as they start to get into tough mountain stages.

hollywood
07-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Do you ride Phil C?

Phil C
07-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Do you ride Phil C?

I used to but not anymore. When I was a kid my specialty was the pogo stick. I could jump down my porch to the street and go around the block. It wasn't until years later that I provided entertainment for the neighbors. :)

Phil C
07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
It looks like today's stage is going to be a sprinter's race as expected. There were some escapees who are about a minute ahead of the peloton with about 25 miles left but I am sure they won't have any trouble catching them. This will be the last sprinter's race for about a week. They go into the mountains tomorrow. Remember this weekend you can watch the race on NBC rather than NBC Sports which will continue on Monday. Enjoy.

Phil C
07-06-2012, 12:28 PM
As expected it was a sprinter's race today with Peter Sagan winning another stage with Angre Greipel coming in second and Michael Goss third. Goss has done well and consistently comes in top four but just can't seem to win a stage yet. Mark Cavendish was hurt again in another race ending crash but will hopefully get another chance. For now it is the mountain climbers' turn and let's hope there aren't any more bad crashes tomorrow. I think the overall race is still going to be between Cadel Evans and Bradley Wiggins and the action starts tomorrow as the race ends in a brutal climb but look for break aways to try again tomorrow.

Phil C
07-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Americans should be able to look forward to 23 year old Tejay Van Garderen to be a future yellow jersey contender. He is doing very well and is a good time trial racer and mountain climber. This year he is getting experience by working for Cadel Evans which will no doubt be invaluable in the future. Look for him to get his own team and start work in the future on winning the TDF.

Phil C
07-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Sorry I'm late but the first mountain stage was today and it was a brutal stage. Chris Froome who is Bradley Wiggins teammate won the stage while Cadel Evans came in second followed by Wiggins but they both got the same time. Wiggins now wears the yellow jersey and is ten seconds ahead of Evans. The overall winner is most likely to be either Wiggins or Evans unless they both crash or something. The race continues tomorrow with another mountain stage and Monday is an individual time trial followed by a well deserved rest day. Any stage may determine the winner. I don't think there were any crashes today.

Excitement indeed.

Phil C
07-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Today's stage was a great one for the French as Thibaut Pilot of France made a breakaway on the last climb and was able to hang on for a big win. He is not an overall stage contender but as the youngest man in the TDF he has a promising future.
Bradley Wiggins and Cadel Evans stayed toget her and Wiggins still has his ten point lead which is an advantage going into another time trial stage tomorrow which will be for about 26 miles. After tomorrow the riders get a well deserved rest day on Tuesday.
There have unfortunately been lots of crashes and a number of riders have had to abandoned the tour due to injuries. Today's casualty was Sanuel Sanches the defending Olympic champion and unfortunately he may not only miss the remainder of the tour but the olympics. Sad news there.

Phil C
07-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Today's time trial stage 9 will be over soon. Cadel Evans and Bradley Wiggins should be finishing soon. It looks like Evans is going to lose time to him but we will soon know how much.

Phil C
07-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Bradley Wiggins wins the stage today and gains time on Cadel Evans. This was expected but I thought it would be closer. Tomorrow is rest day and Wednesday we pass the half way mark of the tour as we enter the mountains. Sometime in the next two weeks look for Cadel to make a big move and Wiggins to try to stay close.
The top five overall leaders are 1. Bradley Wiggins 2. Cadel Evans at 1'53" behind 3. Chris Froom at 2'07" behind 4. Vicenzo Nibali at 2'23 behind 5. Denis Menchov at 3;02 behind.

I still feel that this race is between Wiggins and Evans and is by no means over. Of course unforseen circumstaces such as crashes, mechanical problems etc. can change things. Tomorrow they get to take a well deserved rest day.

Phil C
07-11-2012, 08:09 AM
After a long individual time trial and rest day they are now back in them thar hills as they are in a brutal mountain stage today. Already they have a breakaway of 25 riders and the peloton may let them go as most are not considered overall contenders but one is ten minutes behind the leader so I think they won't let them get more than or 8 minutes ahead. Cadel Evans will make a move but I don't think it will be today. We will see.

Phil C
07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
As expected the peloton didn't let the breakaways get too far ahead but just enough for Thomas Voeckler to win the stage. The main contenders stayed together so there is no major changes there as I expected. Tomorrow it continues in the mountains. Cadel Evans will have to make a break and expect it anytime. The race for the year is past the halfway point now.

Phil C
07-11-2012, 03:03 PM
There are now just 10 stages left and in my opinion one of five could be critical to determine the winner. Here are what remains:

Stage 11 (7-12-12) This is a brutal mountain stage which has potential to be critical.

Stage 12 (7-13-12) This is medium moutain stage and not too bad and will most
likely be won by a strong non contending rider

Stage 13 (7-14-12) A fairly flat stage for the sprinters. This is Bastille Day in
France and they would love to have a French winner.

Stage 14 (7-15-12) This is a high moutain stage but not as brutal even though it has
some high climbs. Look for the breakaways to maybe have
their day.

Stage 15 (7-16-12) Another flat stage day for the sprinters.

Rest Day (7-17-12) Well deserved.

Stage 16 (7-18-12) A critical brutal mountain stage. This might be where Cadel
Evans wins or loses the Tour.

Stage 17 (7-19-12) The last brutal mountain stage. If Cadel hasn't made his move
look for him to go all out here. I think Stage 16 will be
where he really tries.

Stage 18 (7-20-12) A flat stage for the sprinters.

Stage 19 (7-21-12) Individual time trial of about 30 miles. Depending on how close
Cadel Evans and Bradley Wiggins are to each other this could be
the one that determines the overall winner.

Stage 20 (7-22-12) The riders ride together to Paris by tradition and the top three
places are already determined. I am sure this long time
tradition will remain the same. The sprinters will have their day
near the end of the race in Paris.

Look for excitement to come.

Phil C
07-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Today's stage 11 has been brutal as expected. There are escapees but none are considered contenders so the peloton is not worried too much about them. There is about 30 miles left. Evans has tried to attach but each time the Wiggins group catches. He is trying to make moves and will no doubt continue.
Big crowds today. PEOPLE PLEASE STAY OFF THE ROAD!!

Phil C
07-12-2012, 09:45 AM
They are now 25 miles from the finish and Alas! There is nothing major to report.

Phil C
07-12-2012, 10:02 AM
They are now about 20 miles from the finish. The last twelve miles are brutal and uphill with dangerous twists and turns. The riders will have to be careful. I don't know if they are going to catch the breakaways but the main contenders are with Wiggins.

Phil C
07-12-2012, 10:09 AM
CRASH! There is a crash by one of the lead group but fortunately he got up and continuted. They are on a descent before the last climb but the road surface is not good and the riders must be careful and should avoid risks on the descent.

Phil C
07-12-2012, 10:16 AM
The lead group is at the final 12 mile climb and leads the peloton by about 4 minutes and it will probably close but they may hold them off. Look for attacks and counter attacks to come in the peloton which has many of the overall contenders. Evans will probably make a last minute move. Can Wiggins keep holding on? We will see. Excitement indeed.

Phil C
07-12-2012, 10:19 AM
The peloton has now reached the start of the climb. Hang onto your hats for some drama these last 12 miles!

Phil C
07-12-2012, 10:28 AM
About 9 miles left and the leaders are about 3 minutes ahead of the yellow jersey group. Can they hold on? We will see.

Phil C
07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
There are just a few miles and it looks like the breakaway may work but the main interest is that one of the contenders Vinzio Nebali gave Wiggins a look but unlike Lance's I don't think this one will work. Evans may be in trouble as Wiggins and Froom have left him behind.

Phil C
07-12-2012, 11:00 AM
It will be over soon. Looks like Pierre Rolland is going to win the stage.

Phil C
07-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Pierre Rolland wins and did a brilliant race and deserved it. He was in the original breakaway and survived a crash and made an outstanding break at the end to win it. Wiggins came in fourth and gained time on Evans so it was a good day for him. His teammate Christopher Froome came in third and even at one point near the end made an attack but was probably ordered by the team directors to return and help Wiggins. American Tejay Van Garderen lost time by trying to help Evans who had a bad day.
No doubt next year Froome and Tejay will have their own teams helping them to try to win the 2013 TDF.

Phil C
07-12-2012, 01:25 PM
After Stage 11 the following are the top riders (from www.cycling.com).

TOP 10 IN THE GC AFTER STAGE 11

1 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 48:43:53
2 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:02:05
3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:02:23
4 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:03:19
5 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto Belisol Team 0:04:48
6 Haimar Zubeldia Agirre (Spa) RadioShack-Nissan 0:06:15
7 Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:06:57
8 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana Pro Team 0:07:30
9 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:08:31
10 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ-Big Mat 0:08:51

Right now Wiggins is in great shape. He gained time over Evans which will now be difficult to be overcome. His own teammate is in second place. The man in third (Nibali) is a potential threat and will have to be watched.

ogg
07-12-2012, 11:34 PM
After Stage 11 the following are the top riders (from www.cycling.com).

TOP 10 IN THE GC AFTER STAGE 11

1 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 48:43:53
2 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:02:05
3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:02:23
4 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:03:19
5 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto Belisol Team 0:04:48
6 Haimar Zubeldia Agirre (Spa) RadioShack-Nissan 0:06:15
7 Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:06:57
8 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana Pro Team 0:07:30
9 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:08:31
10 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ-Big Mat 0:08:51

Right now Wiggins is in great shape. He gained time over Evans which will now be difficult to be overcome. His own teammate is in second place. The man in third (Nibali) is a potential threat and will have to be watched.

Looked to me like Evans bonked at the end, poor team management I think.

Phil C
07-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Today's stage was the medium mountains. The first part had two tough climbs but the remainder was flat. Everything happened as I expected. There was a breakaway of five riders and basically since there we no contenders the peloton let them go. There were others but they didn't get too far. The peloton took a slow ride and was satisfied to take a day off at the TDF. David Millar one of the five escapees won the stage. The peloton came in together and the standings overall are still the same for the top contenders.
Tomorrow will be a sprinters' day and the French would love to have a winner since it is Bastille Day in France.

Phil C
07-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Today Bradley Wiggins the TDF leader was burned by a flare. (See Below). Fortunately it wasn't serious but fans need to behave. Fans are great and needed but please stand well off the road and do your cheering and clapping there. Please do not throw things on the road and no flash bulb cameras and don't throw things on the road. I have seen them even trying to slap the riders on the back and run beside the riders. I have never figured out why anyone would try to run beside the riders. The sport is dangerous enough with accidents and crashes without the riders being endangered by fans. And please stay off the road. Safety must be of paramount important for everyone.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/tourdefrance/story/2012-07-13/Tour-de-France-Bradley-wiggins-team-sky/56192382/1?csp=34sports

Phil C
07-14-2012, 11:31 PM
As expected today's stage came down to the sprinters and Andre Greipel barely beat out Peter Sagan for the stage win.
Sunday's stage is back to the mountains.

Phil C
07-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Today's stage was a moutain stage but the main contenders stayed in the peloton. There were five breakaways but none were overall contenders and they were content to let them go and all came in at the same time so the top ten is still the same. Peter Sagan has all but cinched the Green Jersey awarded to best sprinter. There was some drama as someone through tacks on the road and caused some flats and even caused one of the riders to fall and his injuries made him leave the Tour. Even though he was not a contender it is a shame because after this far along everyone left wants to finish the tour. It is a shame and disgrace that some people mar a race like this and risk ruining it and causing injury on purpose. This race is risky enough without spectators doing something like that. Let's hope we have no more such incidents because we have had an interesting tour. The one in lots of trouble was Cadel Evans but Bradley Wiggins showed good sportsmanship as he and the peloton slowed down and let Evans catch up who could have lost another minute perhaps had Wiggins attacked.

Tomorrow no doubt will be a stage for the sprinters as it is a flat stage. Breakaways will try again no doubt but on flat stages they very rarely succeed as the sprinters want a day of glory. Then Tuesday we have a well deserved rest day and then two brutal moutain stages. We are now in the final week of the tour.

Phil C
07-15-2012, 06:33 PM
The winner of the stage was Leon Sanches who was one of the five breakaways with Peter Sagan and Andre Grupeille. Sanches know he couldn't win a sprint with Sagan so he attacked the group with about 7 miles left and this time he worked. This will make Spain happy.

Phil C
07-15-2012, 06:37 PM
When we resume the mountain stages on Wednesday look out for the groppetto group (also called Autobus). These are a group formed behind the peloton quite often miles apart. They usually consist of sprinters and other non contenders who may be injured. The main purpose of the group is to survive the brutal mountain climb in order to have chances at future spring stages. Remember everyone must finish within a certain time limit after the winner and they work together to ensure they can make it. There is a much more friendly atmosphere than in the peloton in that the riders help each other and share food and water with the main goal of surviving and getting to race again.

Phil C
07-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Today's stage is flat and should be one for the sprinters. There have been several attacks but most were pulled back. There is still one group that is 4'41" ahead of the peloton. Since none of them are contenders the peloton is not worried but I think as time goes by it will organize and catch them because I am sure that the sprinters will want their day. It is very rare that attacks work for escapees on sprint races but it does happen once in a while. Will today be an exception? I don't think so but we will see. Remember tomorrow is the last rest day of the Tour which ends Monday.

Phil C
07-16-2012, 08:48 AM
The group is now about 6 1/2 minutes ahead of the peloton with about 45 miles left. They may hold them off. It will probably be close though unless the peloton lets them go. I wonder why the sprinters teams aren't working to close the gap? Maybe some rare history about to happen. None of the escapees are considered overall contenders.

Phil C
07-16-2012, 09:13 AM
The peloton is organizing and cut the lead time back down to 5 1/2 minutes. This is a sprint stage but there are three catagory 3 and 4 climbs. These are considered easy climbs and don't give the sprinters too much trouble.

The catagories of climbs are based on steepness and distance.
Catagory HC is the hardest climb and is usually very steep and long.
Catagory 1 and 2 are also considered hard climbs and they also give sprinters trouble.
Catagory 3 and 4 are not considered hard climbs and don't give sprinters trouble.

Phil C
07-16-2012, 09:38 AM
About 25 miles left and the gap is now back up to over 8 minutes. I think the peloton is letting them go and the winner of the stage will be one of the escapees.

Phil C
07-16-2012, 09:47 AM
With about 20 miles left the six leaders have increased the gap to 9 minutes. It looks like the sprinters are going to give this stage away and conserve strength and energy today and take advantage of the rest day tomorrow to work and survive the final two brutal mountain climbs on Wednesday and Thursday.

Phil C
07-16-2012, 09:51 AM
David Millar who won the stage a few days ago has stocked up on bidons (water bottles) and is distributing them to his teammates.

Phil C
07-16-2012, 09:56 AM
About 17 miles left and the lead group is ten minutes ahead and the peloton is taking it easy and letting them go so hopefully no crashes today.

Phil C
07-16-2012, 10:17 AM
About 8 miles left for the lead group and no one has made a move yet but soon allies will become enemies. There is a large crowd at the end. Please stay off the road and don't run with the riders. And be extra careful with the flag waving. Don't wave flags in front of the riders.

Phil C
07-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Another great day for the French as the breakaway works and Pierrick Fedrigo wins the stage. The peloton comes together and the riders have a well deserved rest day tomorrow. Wednesday two brutal mountain stages start and Cadel Evans and the others behind Bradley Wiggins better make their move.

Phil C
07-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks for reading along. I will have more information as I get it but in the meantime rest up tomorrow as we continue the final days starting Wednesday of the 2012 Tour de France!

Phil C
07-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Today is rest day but what follows tomorrow and Thursday are two brutal stages in the Pyrenees Mountains. The next two days are stages to watch as this is where I think the TDF will be won (or lost depending on your viewpoint). Cadel Evans and others must make their move to get the yellow jersey or Wiggins will win out (baring crashes and other unforseen events). If Wiggins can stay ahead or even very close to them in time he will win. Expect him to be attacked again and again over the next two days. Even at that beating him will not be easy but it won't be impossible. We will see what happens so hang onto your hats for some excitement.
We are down to the last 5 days of the Tour and it has been a good one even though sadly we have lost 42 riders leaving us with 156 out of the starting 198. Sadly this one has been tougher as far as losing riders than the past several years.

Phil C
07-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Another great day for the French as Thomas Voeckler wins another stage. Bradley Wiggins finished with the other 2 top leaders so it looks like he has got a good chance to cinch it but there is still one more brutal mountain stage left tomorrow so if anyone wants to win this year they need to make their move tomorrow but you can bet Wiggins will be ready. Cade Evans had a bad day and is now 8'05" behind Bradley so it is not looking good at all tomorrow. Tomorrow may be the decisive day. We will see.

Phil C
07-18-2012, 04:51 PM
I feel Wiggins should win but his biggest competitor is Vincenzo Nibili who is 2'23 seconds behind. Tomorrow will be Nibili's last chance.
Peter Sagan has a big lead for Green Jersey and should keep it. This is the one for best sprinter.
American Tejay Van Garderen has the White Jersey for best young rider and has a good chance to keep it.
The King of the Mountains (Polka Dot) Jersey is current in the hands of Thomas Voeckler but Fredrik Kessiakoff is close behind and this one will probably be decided by tomorrow.

Today condender Frank Schleck was dropped by his team because he tested positive for the drug Xipamide. It doesn't improve performance but it is known to hide other illegal drugs. He claims innocense but even if he is one has to be careful what he does.

Phil C
07-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Nothing much happened today in the last day in the moutains. Spain's Alejandro Valverde won the stage while Bradley Wiggins all but cinched the yellow jersey. They have an easy spring stage tomorrow and then the time trial Saturday in which he is one of the best and then follows the traditional ride to Paris on Sunday. If he can avoid crashes he should win it easily now.

Thomas Voeckler cinched the Polka Dot Jersey so all he has to do is finish the race and it is his as there are only a few points available for the mountain jersey.

Peter Savan should be able to easily hang onto the Green Jersey and American Tejay Van Garderen should be able to hang onto the White Jersey.

Tomorrow is the sprinters' day unless they let escapees get away. The main thing for most of them is to avoid costly crashes.

Phil C
07-19-2012, 04:43 PM
American Chris Horner of Radio Shack has done fantastic the last several days after a rough start in the Tour and has helped his team maintain the overrall team lead. This is determined by total time of the top three riders of eacha team in each stage added together. I think they have a chance to win it. There is no Jersey awarded but they are recognized at the podem in Paris. Well done Chris!

Phil C
07-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Today's stage will probably be for the sprinters even though there is a potential breakaway attack but we will see. There has already been a crash caused they think by a dog getting off his lease but the riders were able to continue the race.
SPECTATORS - you are a big part of the race and are appreciated but at the same time please remember the race is dangerous enough without your improper participation. Please keep you encouraging yelling, clapping, and flag waving off of the road. Please stay off the road and don't run with the riders or touch them. And please make arrangements for pet care without taking them to the Tour.

Phil C
07-20-2012, 08:09 AM
About 35 miles left and the gap is now less than two minutes. They might get caught. We will see. The main thing we want today is no more crashes.

Phil C
07-20-2012, 08:28 AM
With 26 miles left the breakaway is still trying to get away. We will see if they succeed.
Team Radio Shack has the lead in the overall team classifications as I reported earlier. They are 14'9" ahead of Team Sky. They should be able to hold that lead on to Paris.

Phil C
07-20-2012, 08:33 AM
The lead group is now attacking within itself. I think if they would work together till the last few miles they have a chance to succeed but this way they may ruin their chances.

Phil C
07-20-2012, 08:46 AM
They are about 17 miles left to finish and the lead group has lost some riders. The ones left are trying to work together but they are only about 1 minute ahead so it is probably too little and too late. It looks like it is going to be a sprinter's race today at the end.

Phil C
07-20-2012, 10:09 AM
In the last 35 miles a VIP joined one of the cars as it was the President of France, Francois Hollande.

Phil C
07-20-2012, 10:12 AM
As expected the escapees were all caught at the end and in an exciting sprint at the end Mark Cavendish came from out of no where to easily win the spring and give Team Sky a fourth stage win.
There were no changes in the top condenders group as expected.
That's it for today's race. Join us tomorrow for the individual time trial stage. Then Paris the next day.

Phil C
07-21-2012, 01:41 PM
No changes in the top three as Bradley Wiggins rode a magnificent time trial and won the stage proving he was the best one this year but one must remember that this year's stage favored the time trial specialist since there were three of them. The mountains stages were brutal but they didn't have any of those extra tough summits as in the past. Still it is a great win and he is the first British winner of the Tour de France. No changes in the jersey leaders and they make the traditional ride to Paris tomorrow.

icu812
07-21-2012, 02:00 PM
I just couln't get into the TDF this year. For me there was no one to cheer for or against this year. Maybe someone will put a team around the young American who is going to win the white jersey (TJ Van Garderen ) and give Americans something to watch. Personally, I could care less if a brit wins over a frenchie or a some other euro. You would think because of marketing some sponser will want TJ to be the man.

Phil C
07-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Patience icu. Most likely Britain's got it for the next two or three years but the experts have indicated that Tejay's day will be coming. He is just 22 years old and gaining valuable knowledge and experience right now and also no doubt continue to improve physically and mentally. I think there is a strong chance that if he gets the right team he will challenge for the TDF yellow jersey in the future.

Phil C
07-22-2012, 06:40 PM
The Tour is over with no overall changes as expected in the final traditional ride to Paris. As expected it ended in a race for the sprinters and Mark Cavendish won the stage today. The following are the final awards:

Yellow Jersey (Overall Winner)

1. Bradley Wiggins (Great Britain's first winner)
2. Chris Froome (No doubt a serious challenger in the near future)
3. Vincenzo Nibali

The Polka Dot Hersey (King of the Mountain points winners)

1. Thomas Voeckler (A great win for the French)
2. Fredrik Kessiakoff
3. Chris Sorensen

The Green Jersery (Sprinters' points winner)

1. Peter Sagan
2. Andre Greipel
3. Matthew Goss

The White Jersey (Best young rider born after 1-1-87)

1. Tejay Van Garderen (This American young rider has a great future and should challenge for the yellow jersey in a few years. He finished No. 5 overall in just his second year)
2. Thibaut Pinot (This young Frenchman is only 22 and the youngest member of the Tour and he will possible be a TDF challenger)
3. Steven Kruisjswijk

The following are recognized on the podium even though they don't get a jersey

Overall Team

1. Radio Shack-Nissan (very remarkable with a lot of bad luck happening this year)
2. Sky at 5min26sec behind but they were mainly going for the yellow jersey
3. BMC Racing Team

After each stage there is recognition for a Fighting Spirit Award to the Stage's Most Agressive. He is not usually a winner but one who participates in a break in an effort to help a teammate win plus other considerations. Today generally from those winners the Tour picks an over Most Aggressive Rider of the Tour de France and this year's winner was Chris Sorensen which is well deserved because of his breakaway participation.

Phil C
07-22-2012, 08:38 PM
The Tour ends another year. It has been exciting and we are looking forward to an even better one next year since it looks like the moutains are going to be even more brutal. The Tour has got us through another difficult month of July as we start to approach football season but we get an extra bonus this year with the 2012 Olympics coming this week. Thus we close out the 2012 TDF which has done much to enhance our enjoyment and look forward as I posted to 2013.

Vive Le Tour!