PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Adidas Uniforms at State 7 on 7 Tournament

Matthew328
06-28-2012, 09:06 AM
I learned last week that adidas is stepping up this year at the state 7 on 7 tournament and providing a lot of free gear this year. The only issue apparently is now the state7on7 board is REQUIRING the teams to wear the uniforms being provided by adidas. IMO, this is a BAD BAD deal and not the direction that I think the state7on7 tournament should be taking. Any thoughts?

BEAST
06-28-2012, 09:09 AM
I learned last week that adidas is stepping up this year at the state 7 on 7 tournament and providing a lot of free gear this year. The only issue apparently is now the state7on7 board is REQUIRING the teams to wear the uniforms being provided by adidas. IMO, this is a BAD BAD deal and not the direction that I think the state7on7 tournament should be taking. Any thoughts?

I agree completely. I dont like this idea or the path it could take us down either.

BEAST

LIONS#1
06-28-2012, 09:43 AM
I am also in agreement on this. Does the 7on7 governing body have a vested interest in Adidas?$$$

Matthew328
06-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Adidas has sponsored the state tournament for as long as I can remember

Rabid Cougar
06-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Adidas has been A&M's uniform sponsor so you can see the tie in there. It doesn't look good to have Adidas as you Corporate Sponsor and then have UnderArmor and Nike product running around all over the fields.

Yoe_09
06-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Well,this would probably be taking it too far. So is it every team at the state tourney has to wear the gear, or every team that takes the free equipment must wear it?

Matthew328
06-28-2012, 10:59 AM
I've been told the adidas uniform is the requirement....I get that adidas has been the sponsor of the event and they've gotten pretty good brand exposure out there every year.....but telling teams what to wear and not to wear starts to get into AAU type stuff...Nike is a sponsor of the UIL football championships. how would it look if they told Lake Travis they couldn't wear their Under Armour uniforms? This reeks of adidas providing the gear and saying "if we give you this gear, you gotta give us more control over the event" and in that case where does it stop? Adidas saying we don't want Team A, B and C there because they dont have enough recruits? Or adidas putting together all star teams?? Once you give an inch, a mile is taken

BEAST
06-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Ill tell you now, the shoes may become an issue. I wont have our guys getting massive blisters just to promote Adidas.

BEAST

upper20
06-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Was pretty excited to hear about the free gear, but this is the first I have heard about a requirement to wear it during the tournament. If they do require, I think it is a mistake and will generate ill will for Adidas. Also, Beast is right about the shoes -- surely they will not mandate wearing the new ones

upper20
06-28-2012, 02:56 PM
I just went back and read the latest release about registration, and it does appear that the Adidas uniforms will be required. Wish we would have known earlier - would not have ordered those nice UA jerseys that we thought would be worn!

BEAST
06-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Anybody able to find out what the colors are going to be? Is everybody going to have a black and white jersey? I mean I know almost everybody uses white as there light color jersey but most use their school color as the dark jersey.

BEAST

Matthew328
06-28-2012, 03:55 PM
it will be a requirement...the shoes they will be a little more lax on but supposedly the fittings will be custom, so they are anticipating fewer problems...I dont think the uniform colors will be customized this year...I'm guessing if you refuse the stuff you dont have to wear it...

Additup
06-28-2012, 04:35 PM
it will be a requirement...the shoes they will be a little more lax on but supposedly the fittings will be custom, so they are anticipating fewer problems...I dont think the uniform colors will be customized this year...I'm guessing if you refuse the stuff you dont have to wear it...
UIL violation to take the free gear - guess they gotta give back the jerseys after the event or pay for it.

upper20
06-28-2012, 05:34 PM
UIL violation to take the free gear - guess they gotta give back the jerseys after the event or pay for it.

It appears that most of the 7-on-7 Board members are coaches/educators - surely they cleared this with the UIL?

coachc45
06-28-2012, 06:50 PM

There is a loophole....They give the uniforms and shoes to the team not the athletes. Addidas can give anything they want to sponsor a team. If the coaches then let the players keep the equipment, that is the coaches that broke the rule, not Addidas. Totally Chickencrap....but it is the loophole.

I didn't here anyone griping about all the underarmour sponsored tournaments that required the kids to wear their uni's.

defense51
06-28-2012, 06:54 PM
UIL violation to take the free gear - guess they gotta give back the jerseys after the event or pay for it. How do the schools that have Nike, UA, Russell, etc... gear donated by the manufacturers get around this rule? Or is it just that individuals can't except free gear?

VWG
06-28-2012, 09:17 PM
OK, so you've helped create this monster and now that it grows you have second thoughts?

You promote it, write about it with previews, score updates, schedules, how good the teams are in flag football. Talk/write about how it helps football, etc... and you're surprised big money is moving in?

In my best ESPN voice --- "C'mon Man!"

Old Dog
06-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Ah yes the American way.................get something for nuttin; to hell with ethics !!!!!!

FB-fanatic
06-28-2012, 10:03 PM
7 on 7 is a non-UIL summer league, just like select baseball or basketball. Therefore, a sponsored Adidas event has no bearing on UIL. I'm fairly certain, too, that if a team refused the uni's, they could wear their own. But maybe not. As I understand it, the Adidas deal came to the table pretty late, even though they have had limited sponsorships in the past. Last year, seniors got shoes that wanted them, but could wear their own shoes during tourney. The same for this year. I really think if Adidas started down a path that the board was uncomfortable, they could simply say no. I saw as a pretty cool deal to full gear from a pretty cool company. In return, Adidas ends up on the feet of future Colt McCoys or RG III's.

coachc45
06-29-2012, 02:23 AM
Another reason that this is not a UIL violation is that there is an entry fee for the tourney. With the entry fee comes the gear. It is not an "Award" it is part of the perks of the entry fee.

Lion70
06-29-2012, 05:33 AM
Well this is the Last year that it will held @ A&M cause SEC rule prevents them for hosting it. As you know A&M will be going to the SEC this year.

Matthew328
06-29-2012, 07:57 AM
OK, so you've helped create this monster and now that it grows you have second thoughts?

You promote it, write about it with previews, score updates, schedules, how good the teams are in flag football. Talk/write about how it helps football, etc... and you're surprised big money is moving in?

In my best ESPN voice --- "C'mon Man!"

It's a good monster because the coaches, not the corporate interests are in charge. As long as Texas HS coaches are in charge, I will continue to promote it, write about it etc...the main reason why is because I enjoy it....

I can promise you as soon as the Texas HS coaches lose control of this, I'm out....the mistake basketball coaches made 25 years ago was that when teams wanted to play AAU, the basketball coaches wanted their summers off, take vacations etc. and basically have a hands off policy and the monster that is AAU hoops was created....I THINK the football coaches have learned a valuable lesson and won't make those same mistakes...but we'll see...as of right now, the coaches are still in charge and as long as they are still in charge I'm still in support..(even though I dont agree with the move)

As was stated, the team entry fee covers the gear....

CTS
06-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Looks like the pools are coming out early so teams can register for gear. Pools coming out this Sunday afternoon.

coachc45
06-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Well this is the Last year that it will held @ A&M cause SEC rule prevents them for hosting it. As you know A&M will be going to the SEC this year.

Its not being held at aTm this year. It is being held in College Station, but not on campus. aTm becomes a member of the SEC on July 1 so they couldn't host it. The City is now hosting it.

CHS_Grad '85
06-29-2012, 04:23 PM
The B/CS Convention and Visitor's Bureau has hosted 7 on 7 for several years now even though it's been played on campus...

coachc45
06-29-2012, 06:26 PM
The B/CS Convention and Visitor's Bureau has hosted 7 on 7 for several years now even though it's been played on campus...

Ok....well its not being held on campus this year was my point.

Manso/V8
06-29-2012, 07:52 PM
I thought Adidas only had soccer gear.