PDA

View Full Version : College football has a playoff...

Saggy Aggie
06-26-2012, 05:51 PM
And no one is talking about it?

Damn this place is dead

Roughneck93
06-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Finally!! At some point though, I'd like to it go from four to maybe eight teams. But hey, I'll take this over the BcS.

Saggy Aggie
06-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah I think this is Exactly what everyone was looking for. Typically there aren't more than 3-4 teams who even deserve consideration so letting those teams settle it on the field is the best way to do it. I'm all for it

Pendragon13
06-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Is it really a playoff when the participating teams are selected by committee? I know basketball works that way, but they include a lot more teams thereby lessening the chances that a deserving team doesn't get in..

In any case, it's much better than the current system..

Saggy Aggie
06-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Is it really a playoff when the participating teams are selected by committee? I know basketball works that way, but they include a lot more teams thereby lessening the chances that a deserving team doesn't get in..

In any case, it's much better than the current system.. can you think of any instance where more than 4 teams really deserved consideration for the championship game?

Pendragon13
06-26-2012, 07:45 PM
can you think of any instance where more than 4 teams really deserved consideration for the championship game?For the championship game itself? Based on the current poll system probably not....but there are usually more than 4 teams each year that deserve a chance to prove it on the field. Just like in high school and the NFL (such as last year with the NYG) you can have a longshot run the table and make things exciting.

Gone Fishing
06-26-2012, 08:41 PM
The stupidest playoff I could ever imagine! Keep it the same or let 16 teams in it. Sorry Just my opinion. Anybody can beat anybody that time of the year!!!!!!! Has anybody watched top notch High school football?

regaleagle
06-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Sounds to me like the BCS is still wanting to control who has a shot at the national title. Sooner or later they will have to let the fans have their 16-team or eight-team playoff format system. This is hopefully just the first step toward that type of format.

Emerson1
06-26-2012, 10:18 PM
The stupidest playoff I could ever imagine! Keep it the same or let 16 teams in it. Sorry Just my opinion. Anybody can beat anybody that time of the year!!!!!!! Has anybody watched top notch High school football?
Meh. No one ever expected it to be 16, or even 8 teams right away.

defense51
06-27-2012, 12:05 AM
It's a step in the right direction at least.

Old Tiger
06-27-2012, 07:41 AM
16 is.too much have a handful of 3 loss teams getting in

jason
06-27-2012, 07:58 AM
you should be disqualified from making the playoffs if you play against anything other than Division 1A schools

Trashman
06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
you should be disqualified from making the playoffs if you play against anything other than Division 1A schools

Agreed! Throw in a playoff consisting of all the conference winners and I'm in....

Gone Fishing
06-27-2012, 08:18 PM
16 is.too much have a handful of 3 loss teams getting in

So what if their jelling at the end of the year and lost by small margins to higher ranked teams earlier in the year or maybe some key injuries earlier in the year.

eagles_victory
06-28-2012, 03:05 AM
People will always complain, 16 completely waters down the regular season. 4 still keeps the regular season at maximum importance. You start letting 16 in then a game like Oregon USC this upcoming year or Bama LSU doesn't matter because both teams are getting in anyway.

GrTigers6
06-28-2012, 07:00 AM
People will always complain, 16 completely waters down the regular season. 4 still keeps the regular season at maximum importance. You start letting 16 in then a game like Oregon USC this upcoming year or Bama LSU doesn't matter because both teams are getting in anyway.So I guess you think high school playoffs are watered down. How you you like it if HS only had a four team playoff and they were picked by a commitee. I guarantee you several state champions would not have even made a four team playoff.
The only way to be fair in college is to do the playoff like HS. Conference winners make it and then some wildcards if needed to even it out. Plain and simple and wont be argumentative. Also non conference games wont count so you wont have teams scheduling losers to boost their record and might even get some better matchups to improve their team and get ready for conference play

RoyceTTU
06-28-2012, 07:58 AM
So I guess you think high school playoffs are watered down. How you you like it if HS only had a four team playoff and they were picked by a commitee. I guarantee you several state champions would not have even made a four team playoff.
The only way to be fair in college is to do the playoff like HS. Conference winners make it and then some wildcards if needed to even it out. Plain and simple and wont be argumentative. Also non conference games wont count so you wont have teams scheduling losers to boost their record and might even get some better matchups to improve their team and get ready for conference play

are we comparing apples to apples with HS and College.
and just so we are clear, i don't know the answer to this, but in 3a how many schools are there total, in D1 college how many schools are in there. I wonder what the percentage of playoff births it is.
but just to be clear on a couple of topics, i think HS playoffs are watered down.
and also, a 4 team playoff isn't excluding the other schools from bowl games. Some almost make it seem like if you don't make the top 4 there is nothing to play for, and that is completely wrong.
The simple truth is, not every team deserves to go to the elite playoff pairings. and sure, I'll agree there will be that instance when a darkhorse has an amazing end to the year and upsets everyone and it would make a beautiful cinderella story, but how often would that really happen? How often has it happend in D1 college basketball?

GrTigers6
06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
are we comparing apples to apples with HS and College.
and just so we are clear, i don't know the answer to this, but in 3a how many schools are there total, in D1 college how many schools are in there. I wonder what the percentage of playoff births it is.
but just to be clear on a couple of topics, i think HS playoffs are watered down.
and also, a 4 team playoff isn't excluding the other schools from bowl games. Some almost make it seem like if you don't make the top 4 there is nothing to play for, and that is completely wrong.
The simple truth is, not every team deserves to go to the elite playoff pairings. and sure, I'll agree there will be that instance when a darkhorse has an amazing end to the year and upsets everyone and it would make a beautiful cinderella story, but how often would that really happen? How often has it happend in D1 college basketball?I realize the difference, however from what I understand there are only 11 conferences in D1 So why not have 11 conference champs and 5 wildcards.. Its my opinion that if you win your conference you should have a shot at the title.
The biggest problem I have with it Royce, Is its still up to a committee to make that top four. So you still may not see the tcu's and boise's in that elite 4

BEAST
06-28-2012, 10:58 AM
I realize the difference, however from what I understand there are only 11 conferences in D1 So why not have 11 conference champs and 5 wildcards.. Its my opinion that if you win your conference you should have a shot at the title.
The biggest problem I have with it Royce, Is its still up to a committee to make that top four. So you still may not see the tcu's and boise's in that elite 4

TCU is in a major conference now. If the win the Big 12 with a really good record, they will be considered.

BEAST

MustangFootball
06-28-2012, 11:15 AM
I would love to see 8 teams at least maybe 16 to determine a true national champion but a 4 team playoff is a lot better than what we have now.

Saggy Aggie
06-28-2012, 11:28 AM
4 team playoff is much better than what we have now.

I can never think of more than 4 teams that actually deserve a shot at the title. We don't get a 'Cinderella' team this way, but we never did before either.

I think 8 teams is ideal though

GrTigers6
06-28-2012, 11:31 AM
4 team playoff is much better than what we have now.

I can never think of more than 4 teams that actually deserve a shot at the title. We don't get a 'Cinderella' team this way, but we never did before either.

I think 8 teams is ideal though i would be happier with 8 but only if they make it by winning their conference and not by a comittee decision

defense51
06-28-2012, 11:45 AM
The problem with a committee is they can be influenced by many factors, conference winners wouldn't have a human factor to influence.

eagles_victory
06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
So I guess you think high school playoffs are watered down. How you you like it if HS only had a four team playoff and they were picked by a commitee. I guarantee you several state champions would not have even made a four team playoff.
The only way to be fair in college is to do the playoff like HS. Conference winners make it and then some wildcards if needed to even it out. Plain and simple and wont be argumentative. Also non conference games wont count so you wont have teams scheduling losers to boost their record and might even get some better matchups to improve their team and get ready for conference play Yea extremely watered down. High school should let way less teams in but that is a different argument.

You really want all 11 conference champs in. I wonder if I can sign up now to get my ticked to watch the SEC champ trounce the 7-5 Sun Belt champ he gets in over a 9-3 team out of the SEC. I bet noone complains about that.

1st and goal
06-28-2012, 01:02 PM
From what I heard on the radio, they said we are "locked" into this 4 team deal for 12 years.

Seems like they are going to pick the teams from the top bowls. 4 teams only gives 2 weeks of football. 3 games. Some very good teams will be left out. I feel they should've chosen at least 8, preferably 16 teams. This gives a chance for the Boise States and Utah type teams.

They need to move up the dates for the important bowls, so some teams aren't standing around for 3 weeks waiting to play their game.

This would be a win for the fans and a win for the schools. I'd like to hear from some of the players (who'd go 1st or 2nd round in draft) how they feel about it.

GrTigers6
06-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Yea extremely watered down. High school should let way less teams in but that is a different argument.

You really want all 11 conference champs in. I wonder if I can sign up now to get my ticked to watch the SEC champ trounce the 7-5 Sun Belt champ he gets in over a 9-3 team out of the SEC. I bet noone complains about that.Thats why we have wildcards. And also why would a 9-3 team make it over a conference champ? Because the 9-3 team played crappy schedule and the 7-5 champ played a tougher schedule to better themselves.
As far as ticket sales they wont be any different than Texas playing Lousiana Tech or Florida International playing A&M. there are mismatches all over college football. Even in the bowl games

Saggy Aggie
06-28-2012, 02:23 PM
I think if a Boise/Utah team goes undefeated, they will without a doubt be in the top 4 and get their shot.

eagles_victory
06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Thats why we have wildcards. And also why would a 9-3 team make it over a conference champ? Because the 9-3 team played crappy schedule and the 7-5 champ played a tougher schedule to better themselves.
As far as ticket sales they wont be any different than Texas playing Lousiana Tech or Florida International playing A&M. there are mismatches all over college football. Even in the bowl games A 9-3 SEC school played a crappy schedule but the 7-5 Sun Belt champ didn't? Cool story bro

GrTigers6
06-28-2012, 03:15 PM
A 9-3 SEC school played a crappy schedule but the 7-5 Sun Belt champ didn't? Cool story broJust saying it could happen. The teams that think they have a shot at the top four are less likely to load down their schedules while the ones hoping to make it, will.

BEAST
06-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Just saying it could happen. The teams that think they have a shot at the top four are less likely to load down their schedules while the ones hoping to make it, will.

Who would you consider the teams that you said think have a shot? I bet you are talking about major conference schools, Big12, SEC, Pac12, Big10 and so on. Their conference schedule alone is already hard enough.

BEAST

Gone Fishing
06-28-2012, 07:30 PM
I guess this is why I love Pro football and High school football more....Once the season is over, those that qualify and never loose again are champions!