PDA

View Full Version : Got to talk to Bob Lilly today

bobcat1
06-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Was at Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine this afternoon and ran into him. We chatted a little. He had that Big Ol' Super Bowl ring on too. Heck of nice guy from Throckmorton, TX. He lived in Graham for a while but has since moved to Sun City. Sure was an honor to shake his hand.

FB-fanatic
06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Lilly owned a beer distributor in Waco in the early 80's, and got to meet him then.

I had to Google to make sure I wasn't full of bull, and found this. My wife is from West and I didn't know the origin:

"Westfest originated in 1976 when former Dallas Cowboy Bob Lilly purchased the Coors distribution center in Waco. Lilly needed a means to promote and to sell his product."

bigwood33
06-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Mr. Cowboy was the perfect choice for a young Dallas NFL franchise, from Texas, great player, and outstanding leader. He was so good that he dominated single blocking, routinely beat double teams, and occasionally saw triple team blocking. What a stud!

Ranger Mom
06-24-2012, 08:16 AM
When I was a teenager my dad was friends with the guy who owned a Ford Dealership. He gave my brother a life sized poster of Bob Lilly that the dealership had, so my brother hung it on his wall. The way our house was built the back door was in my brother's bed room. I was going to go out the door one night and saw this huge man standing at the door staring at me...I WAS FROZEN. It took me a bit to realize it was the poster of Bob Lilly reflecting on to the glass. I think I have been a little bit in fear of him since that day....LOL!!! :eek::)

1st and goal
06-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Decades ago, a buddy of mine (who's only about 5'7" and 135lbs) hit an errant golf ball on some course in DFW area. He said "When I went to go look for my ball, it had gone in a garage/driveway with a jacked up 4WD Ford Bronco." All of a sudden this HUGE man comes out yelling and hollering and my buddy had a near death experience. Then after a moment, Bob Lilly just laughed, slapped him on the back and handed him his ball and said it "happens all the time". Good thing he has a sense of humor. My buddy had to change his underwear. He's a big cowboy fan and found out the hard way where Bob lived.

Bull's-eye
06-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Bob Lilly is an avid photographer, started taking pictures with the camera he recieved for being a Kodak All-American.

Also, holds the record for the longest helmet throw. Ater losing the Super Bowl to the Baltimore Colts, Lilly tossed his helmet as far as he could down the field.

Bullaholic
06-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Met Bob Lilly a couple of times over the years at auto shows. We talked a while each time. Asked me to help find a lot he had owned at Runaway Bay on Lake Bridgeport for years. One of my brother's fraternity brothers at TCU was Henry "Bubba" Meyer who was the TCU DE who played next to Bob at TCU. Bob Lilly is one nice guy. Bubba Meyer is, too.

Phil C
06-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Bob Lilly is an avid photographer, started taking pictures with the camera he recieved for being a Kodak All-American.

Also, holds the record for the longest helmet throw. Ater losing the Super Bowl to the Baltimore Colts, Lilly tossed his helmet as far as he could down the field.

I remember that game Bull's-eye. It was a big defensive game with many errors. Some sportswriter with a sense of humor said it was the best pass thrown that day. :)