PDA

View Full Version : If there's any Honda car owners out there

Cam
06-21-2012, 04:56 PM
I've got a 2008 Honda Civic I use to commute 120 miles a day. It's been a life saver on gas. Had just hit 150,000 miles when I noticed a coolant leak. Took it to my mechanic and, oh crap, I got the bad news. A cracked engine block! Mechanic said it looked like a defect to him. So, I called the dealership and right away I was told there was a recall on Honda's from 06 to 08. They said recall letters were sent out but we never saw one. Probly chunked it as junk mail. Turns out the engine blocks from those models are defective and many were cracking. They extended the warranty for 8 years with no limit on the mileage. So, what started out as an expensive nightmare ended up being a brand new and improved engine block in my car at ZERO cost to me. They even gave me a loaner car during repairs. So, kudos to Honda for bellying up to the bar on this one. I'm just glad I called em'!:doh:
Now, this post is probably useless since most of you suckers probly drive pickups!.....and yes, I've got two in my family as well (including my beloved 77 Ford straight-six fleetside shortbed)......so, don't start makin' fun of me for driving that little ol' Honda.....I got's no choice!!.....I love that stupid car!

1st and goal
06-21-2012, 08:36 PM
That's great you got a new engine. So, did they use your old internals or did they short block it?

I commute 130 miles a day. Got 235,000 plus on my '03 Impala. It has the smaller V6 with push rods. Only gets about 26mpg but I can at least hear the radio when driving fast.

You work in Austin?

Macarthur
06-22-2012, 09:16 AM
I actually own two honda's. Excellent cars and yes, they were proactive and did the right thing.

LIONS#1
06-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Have a 2000 civic with 135,000 and no problems...got 34.5 average mpg going to Florida and back this last week. Doing 75 and 80 most of the way.

Phil C
06-22-2012, 01:39 PM
I have never owned a honda but I have friends who have had ones and they were very pleased with them.

navscanmaster
06-22-2012, 03:29 PM
I own an '11 pilot that is our family car. Not the same gas mileage as a civic, obviously, but we had a CRV before. My aunt owned Hondas for the better part of two decades, also. They are very durable cars, with predictable maintenance issues like CV joint replacement that can actually fall under the original warranty if you don't drive excessively. I have always been a fan of their vehicles. Can't give up my Ford pickup though.

44INAROW
06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
I bought a 1984 Honda Accord when they first came out - loved it - had excellent luck with it too.. but I am like NAVSCANMASTER - can't give up my Expedition or husbands' F150 4x4...