PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma State Cowboys Pick Up First Running Back Commit (Atlanta's Corion Webster)

Aesculus gilmus
06-21-2012, 05:25 AM
From Scout.com:

"Last time we checked in on speedster Corion Webster of Atlanta, Texas, he had returned from an unofficial visit to Oklahoma State, and he told us that he intended to make a verbal commitment during his upcoming season after narrowing it to his top three schools of OSU, TCU, and Arkansas. The decision has been moved up again ... to now, and Cowboys fans will be excited to know who he selected."

http://oklahomastate.scout.com/2/1196706.html

Congratulations to this young man. He'll be in Tyler for the Rabbits' opening game against the Buckeyes in a little over two months. Maybe the Black Flag can hold him under 200 yards, for once. I'd say it's doubtful, though.

Aesculus gilmus
06-21-2012, 05:31 AM
What was I thinking? We DID hold him to "only" 184 yards in the bi-district game last year. He ran for 200 each in the two regular season games before that, though.

waterboy
06-21-2012, 07:49 AM
He's one of those running backs that is not flashy or shifty, but is big and just plain fast. If he gets a step he's gone. I think Atlanta's other running back (although part-time), Dickerson, is the flashy and shifty type, but smaller, with just as much speed (most Rabbit fans say he is faster). I think Dickerson will open some recruits' eyes this season. I think he is more of the total package. I think Atlanta will be much improved offensively this year even after losing their starting QB from last year. If they get their defense shored up, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Aesculus gilmus
06-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Yeah, if Atlanta has a QB who can step in, they could go a few rounds deep. The new coach there seems to have generated some enthusiasm for the program.

I posted this mainly because I was familiar with this guy, having seen him play a few times, and ALSO because I don't remember EVER seeing anyone on 3ADL from Atlanta. So it would probably have gone unnoticed otherwise.

regaleagle
06-21-2012, 10:22 AM
I guess they are REALLY going to be the RABBITS this year with those two in the backfield, huh? Probably don't need a stellar qb for these two.

MGAR
06-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Show me a better RB combo in the state then Dickerson and Webster..... Can anyone?

waterboy
06-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Just an observation from the outside looking in......I think Atlanta would be even better offensively if they had both Webster and Dickerson in the backfield. Dickerson is a such a good defensive player I don't know that they would do that, though. I know Dickerson played receiver a lot last year, but I think his talents suit him for a backfield position. Can you imagine having that two-headed monster in the backfield? That would likely be the fastest backfield in the state.

icu812
06-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Webster sure is fun to watch and he can fly. OSU got a good one.

buckeyebob
06-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Show me a better RB combo in the state then Dickerson and Webster..... Can anyone?

Perhaps later...we have some young talent they may be very suprising.

regaleagle
06-24-2012, 10:52 AM
District 16 will be like watching the playoffs each week in district play, lol. Who knows what will transpire and who will knock off whom on any given Friday night! You've got 6 out of 7 teams in the district that can play competitively with each other all district long. Whichever teams emerge is anybody's guess. And they are all capable of making a deep run in the playoffs in their respective division for the region final. The rest of us will be watching with interest.

MGAR
06-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Just an observation from the outside looking in......I think Atlanta would be even better offensively if they had both Webster and Dickerson in the backfield. Dickerson is a such a good defensive player I don't know that they would do that, though. I know Dickerson played receiver a lot last year, but I think his talents suit him for a backfield position. Can you imagine having that two-headed monster in the backfield? That would likely be the fastest backfield in the state.

Put Dickerson at QB...

Run zone read till the cows come home.

waterboy
06-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Put Dickerson at QB...

Run zone read till the cows come home.
That's exactly what I was thinking, and it might just happen.......unless, of course, they have a third player that is close to that fast with a better throwing arm. Not sure who that would be, but I do know they have two or three other players on their team with similar speed.

ctown81
06-25-2012, 03:32 PM
He's one of those running backs that is not flashy or shifty, but is big and just plain fast. If he gets a step he's gone. I think Atlanta's other running back (although part-time), Dickerson, is the flashy and shifty type, but smaller, with just as much speed (most Rabbit fans say he is faster). I think Dickerson will open some recruits' eyes this season. I think he is more of the total package. I think Atlanta will be much improved offensively this year even after losing their starting QB from last year. If they get their defense shored up, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

This kid sounds like the second coming of Dwight Smith.

waterboy
06-26-2012, 08:22 AM
This kid sounds like the second coming of Dwight Smith.
He's very similar in stature and speed as Dwight. I don't think he has the power Dwight had, however, nor the team around him that Dwight had. Dwight Smith was really special, and I would've liked to have seen him playing on Saturdays. What's the latest on his situation?

Aesculus gilmus
06-26-2012, 10:10 AM
He's very similar in stature and speed as Dwight. I don't think he has the power Dwight had, however, nor the team around him that Dwight had. Dwight Smith was really special, and I would've liked to have seen him playing on Saturdays. What's the latest on his situation?

He's still at TCU, according to this.

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_dwight00.html

Webster and Smith are not the same kind of back IMO. Both rely on speed, but as you say, Smith could also overpower people. I was surprised at Webster being listed at just under six feet. He looks taller.

Manso/V8
06-26-2012, 10:20 AM

Bellville's DeBrae Parker, LaKeith Nunn, and Bronson Allen will be an interesting combo of juniors to watch this year.

icu812
06-26-2012, 11:43 AM
He's still at TCU, according to this.

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_dwight00.html

Webster and Smith are not the same kind of back IMO. Both rely on speed, but as you say, Smith could also overpower people. I was surprised at Webster being listed at just under six feet. He looks taller.

I agree to me they are only similar in speed. He runs more upright (a little bit of Eric Dickerson) which I think makes him look taller. Reminds me of a guy from 25. yrs ago, Gary Anderson who played for Arkansas, Chargers, Bucs & Tampa Bay Bandits of the usfl.

waterboy
06-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Corrian Webster and Dwight Smith are only similar in size and speed. That is where the comparisons end.

buckeyebob
06-27-2012, 05:21 AM
We stopped Webster and Dickenson twice last year, and we have basically the same defense returning. Atlanta does have a new coach (as of last year) who is a home town boy and coached at Texas High, so they will probably be improving over the next few years (compared to the last few)...Atlanta does have plenty of East Texas Speed.

regaleagle
06-27-2012, 10:45 AM
So does Celina, and alot more to go with it.:D

MGAR
06-27-2012, 01:12 PM
We stopped Webster and Dickenson twice last year, and we have basically the same defense returning. Atlanta does have a new coach (as of last year) who is a home town boy and coached at Texas High, so they will probably be improving over the next few years (compared to the last few)...Atlanta does have plenty of East Texas Speed.

Webster had games of 200 yards rushing and 184 yards rushing against Gilmer last year.. Congrats on stopping him.

MGAR
06-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Corrian Webster and Dwight Smith are only similar in size and speed. That is where the comparisons end.

Yea...

Webster has had a better high school career than Smith had and Webster will get to add to it.