PDA

View Full Version : Going Fishin in Galveston Anyone know a good Party boat or Cheap Guide?

COBRAFOOTBALL
06-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Headed to Galveston next weekend. any fishin reports from you folks that live in that area?

JustAFan
06-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Good fishing reports here from the Galveston News. http://galvestondailynews.com/fishing.lasso

Old Tiger
06-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Port Mansfield is my favorite spot to fish. Mainly because when I do I have a house to crash in and they have the 1.25$ miller lite drafts at that one bar

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Galveston isn't my jurisdiction. Can't help ya.

Now if you were looking for a good guide in Port Isabel, I know plenty.

Manso/V8
06-20-2012, 07:26 PM
We have been out for a day trip with Capt. John, galvestonfishingboats.com and had a good time. We caught plenty of Snapper, red, vermillion, and lane, a Pompano or two, a couple of small Grouper, and even a couple of nice size tasty, tasty Ling (cobia/lemonfish), plus some other types I can't recall......I think there is a Snapper season, don't know if it in effect now or not, but fresh Snapper sure tastes awesome. It is a party boat, so it can be crowded some days, and some days not so bad.

I think we went out with Capt. John on a weekday, and the boat about half-full, so we had plenty of room to move about. I imagine it is more crowded on weekends and holidays. The ride out to deep water was about 4 hours, which got kind of long, we fished for about 4 hours, and then rode back. We were out by the oil rigs and did a lot of fishing off a big rocks. They made a big effort to put on some fish, the deck hands were real helpful.......they usually pass around a tip jar for the deck hands on the party boats. If I remember right, they supplied squid bait, but then offered to sell you a box of frozen sardines on board. I guess the sardines work better, or at least on some days with certain types of fish. You could ask them about that ahead of time and maybe bring your own for less cost. They had an inside area where they sold food, drinks, and German soda water for a fair price. All in all, I think the Capt. John trip was fun, and we caught more good fish than others we have been on........but that could have just been a good day. Some party boats offer drift fishing which is usually not as deep of water and you end up catching a lot of nasty tasting Kingfish and more shark than you ever want to eat after you realize they pee through their skin. The ride to deep water is longer out of Galveston, it is a little shorter out of Freeport, and I think the ride to deep water is pretty quick out of Port Mansfield. I haven't been out to deep water out or Port A, but they have some party boats there and I imagine deep water is closer than in Freeport. If you tend to get seasick, (everyone usually does at least once in their life), it is usually a little smoother on boats with a catamaran hull. Have a good time.