PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood SQT Pools

Matthew328
06-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Pool A
http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=800&tid=155822785&mid=155822785&sid=984&style=2

theville
06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Man, Brownwood is pulling out all the stops to try to qualify.

FB-fanatic
06-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Yep, taking on the Dr. Pepper team.....

VWG
06-19-2012, 07:31 AM

Which brings up a question. Is there a limit to the number of teams that can qualify for state 7 on 7?
Flag football is the most watered down event ever!

Matthew328
06-19-2012, 07:48 AM
I agree to a point...I dont think the 3A-below tournament should be 64 teams...I think 32 is a better number...64 is good for the big schools...much more depth talent wise....in the 3A below tournament you'll see some major mismatches at state

Yoe_09
06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
I agree to a point...I dont think the 3A-below tournament should be 64 teams...I think 32 is a better number...64 is good for the big schools...much more depth talent wise....in the 3A below tournament you'll see some major mismatches at state

I pretty much agree with what you are saying. There are some teams on the qualified list that are just not going to fair very well in College Station. It really depends on how deep the SQT's are.

LionFan72
06-20-2012, 06:57 AM
Let's talk about hijacking a thread.................

hollywood
06-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Stephenville should still be undefeated after this weeks SQT tournament. They were by far the best team in last weeks Tarleton SQT even without Gunter and Brown.

Old Tiger
06-20-2012, 03:38 PM
bangs and crane

hollywood
06-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Levelland and Andrews

But, hoping Brownwood makes it.

RoyceTTU
06-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Levelland and Andrews

But, hoping Brownwood makes it.

you coming over

hollywood
06-20-2012, 05:16 PM
you coming over

I'd like to.. we have a family reunion their Sat, hope it works out. Is the tourney at the HS?

Thats a pathetic list.

Manso/V8
06-20-2012, 07:52 PM

You support the idea of going from 3 to 4 teams from each district for UIL playoffs, but you want to limit the participants in the 7on7 state tournament.
That seems like a disconnect to me.

Matthew328
06-20-2012, 08:52 PM
No disconnect, its comparing apples to oranges....not everyone participates in state 7 on 7 competition which severely limits the depth of quality teams...if everyone played state 7 on 7 competition I'd be all for 64 teams in fact I might say ramp it up to 128

Gone Fishing
06-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Also, Matt, you said, "you agree to a point" and then you had to explain it again to Manso. I like 7 on 7 because it is competitive, and I'm just trying to get to week 0) but really it don't mean crap! 11 guys working as a machine is what it is really about. Wimberley won state last year for that reason, we usually just "also ran" at the state 7 on 7 tourney.

Manso/V8
06-20-2012, 09:16 PM
No disconnect, its comparing apples to oranges....not everyone participates in state 7 on 7 competition which severely limits the depth of quality teams...if everyone played state 7 on 7 competition I'd be all for 64 teams in fact I might say ramp it up to 128

The real value of 7on7 is the improvement in the passing game. It makes most teams better during the regular season. i understand that for some teams, it has become a special season in and of itself. For most, it is a reason to get out and play and work on the passing game, and pass defense. Participation improves the overall level of play, even for the weaker teams. A realistic chance to play in the state tournament is an incentive for more teams to participate and go to SQT's. I think cutting the tournament in half would reduce the number of teams participating and vying for a shot.

FB-fanatic
06-20-2012, 09:46 PM
The real value of 7on7 is the improvement in the passing game. It makes most teams better during the regular season. i understand that for some teams, it has become a special season in and of itself. For most, it is a reason to get out and play and work on the passing game, and pass defense. Participation improves the overall level of play, even for the weaker teams. A realistic chance to play in the state tournament is an incentive for more teams to participate and go to SQT's. I think cutting the tournament in half would reduce the number of teams participating and vying for a shot.

There is something to be said for comoradory and team work also. Allows incoming Juniors to jell with Seniors.

RoyceTTU
06-21-2012, 06:45 AM
I think the real difference between playoff sizes of 7-on-7 and 11-man football has to do with the recovery and/or strain on a kids body.
7-on-7 games are shorter and physical strain ie... bumps/bruises etc.....is much less than in 11-man football. We are really talking about something equivalent to a basketball tourney for the most part.

7-on-7 you can play many games in a single day/week etc....
11-man, really you can only play once a week because of the physicallity and length of the game. Extending the number of teams only makes the playoffs that much longer. I do see expanding 11-man a good thing but only because I think the path for D1 should be the same amount of games as D2.

RoyceTTU
06-21-2012, 06:47 AM
I'd like to.. we have a family reunion their Sat, hope it works out. Is the tourney at the HS?

I assume so. I'll be roaming around the fields. I'll keep a look out.

If any other posters will be around I'd love to meet ya'll. Especially some of you goons from loserville....i mean stephenville:devil:

Matthew328
06-21-2012, 10:41 AM
My picks:
Pool A: Brownwood
Pool B: Bangs
Pool C: Crane
Pool D: Andrews

Qualifiers: Brownwood and Crane
Winner: Brownwood

hollywood
06-21-2012, 02:23 PM
My picks:
Pool B: Levelland

Qualifiers: Levelland and Andrews
Winner: Andrews

BEAST
06-21-2012, 02:32 PM
My picks:
Pool B: Levelland

Qualifiers: Levelland and Andrews
Winner: Andrews

You that down on us? What you saw last weekend is not how we have played all summer. Last Saturday was horrible, Ill grant you that. But, if we play the way we did in Glen Rose we would have qualified easy last week.

BEAST

FB-fanatic
06-21-2012, 05:01 PM
We took you at Gatesville by a TD, and we are a small school.......

hollywood
06-22-2012, 10:11 AM
You that down on us? What you saw last weekend is not how we have played all summer. Last Saturday was horrible, Ill grant you that. But, if we play the way we did in Glen Rose we would have qualified easy last week.

BEAST

Not down on anybody my compadre. You have done a great job! I know every team has a bad day from time to time. The QB position will be interesting in how it unfolds. Was all varsity, but the rec you mentioned earlier, there last week?

hollywood
06-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if Stephenville sends their JV for this tourney.

BEAST
06-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Not down on anybody my compadre. You have done a great job! I know every team has a bad day from time to time. The QB position will be interesting in how it unfolds. Was all varsity, but the rec you mentioned earlier, there last week?

The rec did travel to Ville but only played a total of about 10 plays the whole day. He had a nagging ankle. We were not about to get him hurt for 7 on 7 games.

BEAST

hollywood
06-22-2012, 10:21 AM
The rec did travel to Ville but only played a total of about 10 plays the whole day. He had a nagging ankle. We were not about to get him hurt for 7 on 7 games.

BEAST

Okay cool. Is MC getting any reps at QB? I knew you said there were 3 working in at QB, I just saw the other 2.

BEAST
06-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Okay cool. Is MC getting any reps at QB? I knew you said there were 3 working in at QB, I just saw the other 2.

Last week due to Howeys absence, MC was playing more receiver. Not sure what is going to be done this week.

BEAST