PDA

View Full Version : Bernie the Movie...OR...How to P*ss Off 1/2 the People of Carthage

buckeyebob
06-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Bernie is a 2011 crime comedy film staring Jack Black as Bernie Tiede, Shirley MacLaine as the elderly widow Marjorie Nugent, and Matthew McConaughey as the local District Attorney.

The film is based on a Texas Monthly magazine article that chronicles the 1996 murder of 81-year-old millionaire Marjorie Nugent in Carthage by her 39-year-old homosexual and local undertaker companion,Bernie Tiede. Nugent was shot in the back four times with a rifle by Tiede, who confessed to the 1996 murder.

I took the wife to see (her mother lives on the outskirts of Carthage) and found it to be well worth the price of admission. The lagnaippe was the people of Carthage. It gets a big thumbs up...good for date night.

Txbroadcaster
06-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Bernie is a 2011 crime comedy film staring Jack Black as Bernie Tiede, Shirley MacLaine as the elderly widow Marjorie Nugent, and Matthew McConaughey as the local District Attorney.

The film is based on a Texas Monthly magazine article that chronicles the 1996 murder of 81-year-old millionaire Marjorie Nugent in Carthage by her 39-year-old homosexual and local undertaker companion,Bernie Tiede. Nugent was shot in the back four times with a rifle by Tiede, who confessed to the 1996 murder.

I took the wife to see (her mother lives on the outskirts of Carthage) and found it to be well worth the price of admission. The lagnaippe was the people of Carthage. It gets a big thumbs up...good for date night.

I started back to College in 98 at Panola and got heavily involved with the Drama program and got to see the fall out from all that. He had been very close to the program and it devastated the director at the time and she never would talk about it around the students, but one day it was just me and her in the office and I think because I was an older student she told me the whole story and even then I said that sounds like a movie lol

and to tie it to football..the Drama Directors Husband is PA guy for Carthage( and has been for a long time)

Manso/V8
06-16-2012, 12:44 PM
The interesting stories that come out of east Texas. That part of the state is like living in a movie, or a really, really bad reality show. The ups, the downs, and the interesting day to day life. I am glad to be a spectator rather than part of the show.

buckeyebob
06-16-2012, 06:19 PM
I started back to College in 98 at Panola and got heavily involved with the Drama program and got to see the fall out from all that. He had been very close to the program and it devastated the director at the time and she never would talk about it around the students, but one day it was just me and her in the office and I think because I was an older student she told me the whole story and even then I said that sounds like a movie lol

and to tie it to football..the Drama Directors Husband is PA guy for Carthage( and has been for a long time)

Thanks for the help...I have been trying to figure a better tie in.

Aesculus gilmus
06-17-2012, 07:34 AM
The interesting stories that come out of east Texas. That part of the state is like living in a movie, or a really, really bad reality show. The ups, the downs, and the interesting day to day life. I am glad to be a spectator rather than part of the show.

It's a fairly scenic area, especially compared to most of the rest of Texas. Many of the people who live here are mostly cultural Southerners, not Texans. Since I was a toddler and learned that the South lost the Civil War, I have despised Southerners. I always wanted to be on the side of the winners. Ever since then, I have denied my Southernness and proclaimed my Texanness. This is another reason I am so glad NOT to be an Aggie. Their decision to SECede makes ZERO SENSE to me, given how I view that region of the U.S. Why would you WANT to be a Southerner rather than a Texan? It's bizarre and bordering on insane.

I'll say this also. I grew up watching Alabama Gov. George Wallace try with all his might to preserve segregation. It sickened me to watch that guy. And it was a HUGE BLESSING to the Buckeye football program when the federal judges finally forced GISD to integrate. Just stating the obvious here.

Since this is Father's Day, I'll close with an anecdote about my late dad. He used to take me to see the Buckeyes. Often, in those last few years we were segregated and the best athletes in Gilmer were still playing for the Bruce High Dragons, we'd get the "bleep" beat out of us by an already integrated team. I remember BEGGING him to use whatever influence he had in the community to get us some blacks on our team. :D

Of course, even after we finally did, we STILL got regular beatdowns. At around the same time, a school called East Mountain voted to consolidate into the Gilmer district by one vote. And that added enrollment bumped us up into what is now 4A. It was still no excuse for how bad we were in the 1970s and that was my era, so I take some responsibility. I also blame the Power I offense. There was no Jeff Traylor around to open things up.

Crow22
06-17-2012, 01:33 PM
It's a fairly scenic area, especially compared to most of the rest of Texas. Many of the people who live here are mostly cultural Southerners, not Texans. Since I was a toddler and learned that the South lost the Civil War, I have despised Southerners. I always wanted to be on the side of the winners. Ever since then, I have denied my Southernness and proclaimed my Texanness. This is another reason I am so glad NOT to be an Aggie. Their decision to SECede makes ZERO SENSE to me, given how I view that region of the U.S. Why would you WANT to be a Southerner rather than a Texan? It's bizarre and bordering on insane.

I'll say this also. I grew up watching Alabama Gov. George Wallace try with all his might to preserve segregation. It sickened me to watch that guy. And it was a HUGE BLESSING to the Buckeye football program when the federal judges finally forced GISD to integrate. Just stating the obvious here.

Since this is Father's Day, I'll close with an anecdote about my late dad. He used to take me to see the Buckeyes. Often, in those last few years we were segregated and the best athletes in Gilmer were still playing for the Bruce High Dragons, we'd get the "bleep" beat out of us by an already integrated team. I remember BEGGING him to use whatever influence he had in the community to get us some blacks on our team. :D

Of course, even after we finally did, we STILL got regular beatdowns. At around the same time, a school called East Mountain voted to consolidate into the Gilmer district by one vote. And that added enrollment bumped us up into what is now 4A. It was still no excuse for how bad we were in the 1970s and that was my era, so I take some responsibility. I also blame the Power I offense. There was no Jeff Traylor around to open things up.

Um.....Texas was a member of the Confederates. Texas was part of the losing side.

Aesculus gilmus
06-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Um.....Texas was a member of the Confederates. Texas was part of the losing side.

I realize that I and should say I despise the concept of the Confederacy and most of what it stood for and not the actual people, most of whom didn't own plantations and were largely duped into that war, just as we see people of this region of the U.S. easily duped into wars today.

Sam Houston, though, was opposed to secession. There is an historical marker on the lawn of the Upshur County Courthouse where he spoke to a crowd a few months before the states in the South started seceding about how ill-advised such an action would be. This man, who was the living embodiment of everything Texan at that time, was then pelted with tomatoes by the rabble who had gathered to hear him here in Gilmer. Shortly thereafter, he was deposed as Governor because he refused to swear an oath to the Confederacy.

Had it been left up to the German settlers, who were the predominant population in Central Texas, Texas would have never seceded. The East Texans outvoted them.

Sam Houston predicted they would lose. He died in the summer of 1863, so he didn't see his prediction come true. But I think it was going badly enough for the South by then that he was probably muttering "I told you so" on his deathbed.

From Wikipedia:

An elected convention voted to secede from the United States on February 1, 1861, and Texas joined the Confederate States of America on March 2, 1861. Houston refused to recognize its legality, but the Texas legislature upheld the legitimacy of secession. The political forces that brought about Texas's secession were powerful enough to replace the state's Unionist governor. Houston chose not to resist, stating, "I love Texas too well to bring civil strife and bloodshed upon her. To avert this calamity, I shall make no endeavor to maintain my authority as Chief Executive of this State, except by the peaceful exercise of my functions ... " He was evicted from his office on March 16, 1861, for refusing to take an oath of loyalty to the Confederacy, writing,

"Fellow-Citizens, in the name of your rights and liberties, which I believe have been trampled upon, I refuse to take this oath. In the name of the nationality of Texas, which has been betrayed by the Convention, I refuse to take this oath. In the name of the Constitution of Texas, I refuse to take this oath. In the name of my own conscience and manhood, which this Convention would degrade by dragging me before it, to pander to the malice of my enemies, I refuse to take this oath. I deny the power of this Convention to speak for Texas....I protest....against all the acts and doings of this convention and I declare them null and void.[28] "
He was replaced by Lieutenant Governor Edward Clark. To avoid more bloodshed in Texas, Houston turned down U.S. Col. Frederick W. Lander's offer from President Lincoln of 50,000 troops to prevent Texas's secession. He said, "Allow me to most respectfully decline any such assistance of the United States Government."
After leaving the Governor's mansion, Houston traveled to Galveston. Along the way, many people demanded an explanation for his refusal to support the Confederacy. On April 19, 1861 from a hotel window he told a crowd:
Let me tell you what is coming. After the sacrifice of countless millions of treasure and hundreds of thousands of lives, you may win Southern independence if God be not against you, but I doubt it. I tell you that, while I believe with you in the doctrine of states rights, the North is determined to preserve this Union. They are not a fiery, impulsive people as you are, for they live in colder climates. But when they begin to move in a given direction, they move with the steady momentum and perseverance of a mighty avalanche; and what I fear is, they will overwhelm the South.[29]
[edit]

regaleagle
06-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Good Texas history lesson there, Mr. Gilmer. I am a native Texan, grew up in Goliad, and love our Texas heritage(as you might expect). According to Texas history, there was a definite rift in this state whether or not to secede from the union, and it did cause great division among Texans. For the most part, our state did not operate on the premise of slavery like the plantation owners of the South. Just so happens tomorrow is Juneteenth...Emancipation Proclamation Day. For those of you not aware, this is the day the slaves of the South were given freedom from their "masters". Although there were many at the time that didn't really see the benefits of this new freedom, it was a beginning that was righteous and just. This great nation has endured and kept this world in which we live from being torn apart by those forces of evil that would wish to enslave others for their own unrighteous indignation. This is a theme thruout history(see Egypt, Germany, et al) that continues to be replayed over and over again even up to this day. In a sense, Emancipation Proclaimation is for everyone, not just those that happen to be of the Black race. The Great God Almighty will continue to bless this nation as long as we recognize and fight against this kind of mistreatment of peoples thruout the world. So tomorrow on Juneteenth, go ahead and split open a watermelon for yourself and thank the Lord that it tastes sooo good. And remember that some people in the world today would love to have a slice of it like you are enjoying.

oldtownag
06-18-2012, 07:40 AM

Perfect example of how to hijack a thread!

P.S. Gilmer is in East Texas too!

regaleagle
06-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Yeah, but sometimes hijacked threads turn out to be very interesting. BTW, are you gonna eat some watermelon tomorrow?

ctown81
06-18-2012, 09:21 AM
BTW, are you gonna eat some watermelon tomorrow?

Regal i like your post and you seem like a cool guy but did you just really type this?

oldtownag
06-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Yeah, but sometimes hijacked threads turn out to be very interesting. BTW, are you gonna eat some watermelon tomorrow?

If at all possible.

Cam
06-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Ahh hell.....this thread is settin' itself up for some possible limericks......specially now with the watermelon cracks kickin' in.......Let's face it, there ain't a single race on this planet that won't eat a big fat juicy watermelon....specially all you mixed-up white folk!.....Come on now, don't deny it....you love watermelons!.........go figure........Hell, I love watermelon....but I can't eat too much of it....for some reason....gives me the squirts big time....It's like Ex-Lax in a fruit.........it don't stop me from growin' em' though....got about 3 different varieties right now........want one regaleagle???:crazy1:

ctown81
06-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Ahh hell.....this thread is settin' itself up for some possible limericks......specially now with the watermelon cracks kickin' in.......Let's face it, there ain't a single race on this planet that won't eat a big fat juicy watermelon....specially all you mixed-up white folk!.....Come on now, don't deny it....you love watermelons!.........go figure........Hell, I love watermelon....but I can't eat too much of it....for some reason....gives me the squirts big time....It's like Ex-Lax in a fruit.........it don't stop me from growin' em' though....got about 3 different varieties right now........want one regaleagle???:crazy1:

Had a funny video but couldn't get it to post here so I'm stuck with a useless reply.

icu812
06-18-2012, 06:07 PM

Since Van won state in 1979 with the Power I offense I'd say that wasn't the problem. So its all on you :)

Manso/V8
06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Everybody loves a good, sweet watermelon, even the yellow-meated ones!

buckeyebob
06-19-2012, 05:20 AM
If at all possible.

I started last night...picked up a good one on the road...they were fresh out of Grapeland.

Aesculus gilmus
06-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Since Van won state in 1979 with the Power I offense I'd say that wasn't the problem. So its all on you :)

Yeah, but I just verified that the Vandals were in Class 2A at the time. Gilmer last had a 2A designation in about 1967.

But I'm not saying we would have won state during the 1970s had we been in 2A. We probably would have if we'd had the current coaching staff, though. This staff has proven beyond all doubt to me that coaching makes a LOT of difference.

Lion70
06-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Wow you can tell its not Football season yet . The things we talk about after 7 on 7 lol.

ctown81
06-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Wow you can tell its not Football season yet . The things we talk about after 7 on 7 lol.

Lion since carthage made it to the big screen MAYBE we can make on Fox Sports. Well I doubt it but a man can dream lol

Lion70
06-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Lion since carthage made it to the big screen MAYBE we can make on Fox Sports. Well I doubt it but a man can dream lol

hope so too They should like a winner lol. I am still mad we don't play yall just saying. Guess they will settle for the Almost Champions Longview lol. I know I am wrong for that.

buckeyebob
06-20-2012, 06:02 AM
hope so too They should like a winner lol. I am still mad we don't play yall just saying. Guess they will settle for the Almost Champions Longview lol. I know I am wrong for that.

I have promised oldtownag that the Bux will assume the responsibility of administering the Annual Butt Whipping to the Lions.

Lion70
06-20-2012, 07:33 AM
I have promised oldtownag that the Bux will assume the responsibility of administering the Annual Butt Whipping to the Lions.

Don't hold your breath lol.

coachc45
06-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah, but I just verified that the Vandals were in Class 2A at the time. Gilmer last had a 2A designation in about 1967.

But I'm not saying we would have won state during the 1970s had we been in 2A. We probably would have if we'd had the current coaching staff, though. This staff has proven beyond all doubt to me that coaching makes a LOT of difference.

You do realize that Jeff Traylor was in Jr. High in 1979 right. I know y'all think he is the 2nd coming and all, but thinking a 7th grader could coach Gilmer to a State Title is just rediculous!

waterboy
06-20-2012, 04:33 PM
You do realize that Jeff Traylor was in Jr. High in 1979 right. I know y'all think he is the 2nd coming and all, but thinking a 7th grader could coach Gilmer to a State Title is just rediculous!
Hahaha......you got a point there. I don't think he would've been quite ready to be a head coach in the 7th grade. I'm certainly glad he grew up, came back ,AND introduced the forward pass in Buckeye land. The '70s were extremely unkind to the Buckeye fans. Three yards and a cloud of dust was the theme in those days. The only problem was it took four plays to get those three yards in them days.

coachc45
06-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Hahaha......you got a point there. I don't think he would've been quite ready to be a head coach in the 7th grade. I'm certainly glad he grew up, came back ,AND introduced the forward pass in Buckeye land. The '70s were extremely unkind to the Buckeye fans. Three yards and a cloud of dust was the theme in those days. The only problem was it took four plays to get those three yards in them days.

One thing I always wondered.....What if Billy Traylor would've gotten an assistant principal job in Daingerfield like he wanted and wouldn't have moved Jeff to Gilmer in 7th grade? Jeff would've stayed in Daingerfield and played on the great 83-85 teams. Things would be totally different in Gilmer. Guess y'all should be thanking whoever the man was that hired Billy way back in '80.

Oh, my math was wrong....Jeff was only a 5th grader in 79.. lol

oldtownag
06-21-2012, 06:40 AM
One thing I always wondered.....What if Billy Traylor would've gotten an assistant principal job in Daingerfield like he wanted and wouldn't have moved Jeff to Gilmer in 7th grade? Jeff would've stayed in Daingerfield and played on the great 83-85 teams. Things would be totally different in Gilmer. Guess y'all should be thanking whoever the man was that hired Billy way back in '80.

Oh, my math was wrong....Jeff was only a 5th grader in 79.. lol

And if Carthage had not hired Scott Surratt then ole doublewide might have another state championship!