PDA

View Full Version : City boy vs. Country boy

Cam
06-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Ernest T Bass brought out an interesting point (indirectly) on another thread....(maybe this has been discussed before)
Who makes the better football player? City kids or country kids? Does it really matter? Is the term "corn-fed" over-used? If you took a group of allstars from each segment and played the game, who would win??.....
Does anybody really know what time it is, does anybody really care? -- Chicago.......

ctown81
06-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Ernest T Bass brought out an interesting point (indirectly) on another thread....(maybe this has been discussed before)
Who makes the better football player? City kids or country kids? Does it really matter? Is the term "corn-fed" over-used? If you took a group of allstars from each segment and played the game, who would win??.....
Does anybody really know what time it is, does anybody really care? -- Chicago.......

On the high school level I don't think it matters. It'd be hard justifying why either would have the advantage.

Farmersfan
06-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Isn't "Corn-Fed" a term used to describe large strong white kids?

BEAST
06-15-2012, 03:56 PM

Yes.

BEAST

Emerson1
06-15-2012, 04:10 PM
SLC is a bunch of corn-fed linemen with a bunch of Wes Welker like receivers and DBs.

Pendragon13
06-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Depends on what part of the city you're talking about...
"Economically depressed" neighborhood- more likely to have bigger, stronger and faster players. (D1 recruits)

"affluent neighborhood"- more likely to have multiple kids that do nothing in the off-season but work on their skills, attend training camps etc..

"country boys" (as in small towns/cities)- more likely to have grown up together and play well as a team, but may or may not have the same advantages as the city kids.

Cam
06-15-2012, 04:43 PM
.....so, what would my boy be considered?.....a halfer??.......He came from big city to Burnet in 6th grade....so, I guess he's pretty messed up!....

Cam
06-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes.

BEAST

so does that mean a large strong black kid can't be called "corn-fed"??......I'm really gettin' confused here.....somebody enlighten me..........

Emerson1
06-15-2012, 05:19 PM
so does that mean a large strong black kid can't be called "corn-fed"??......I'm really gettin' confused here.....somebody enlighten me..........

Watermelon-fed?

Depends on what part of the city you're talking about...
"Economically depressed" neighborhood- more likely to have bigger, stronger and faster players. (D1 recruits)

"affluent neighborhood"- more likely to have multiple kids that do nothing in the off-season but work on their skills, attend training camps etc..

"country boys" (as in small towns/cities)- more likely to have grown up together and play well as a team, but may or may not have the same advantages as the city kids.

I dont agree with poor kids being stronger. I guarantee the country boys around here are stronger. We also get as much training as possible and play together as a team. We have some speed as well. Guess thats about perfect.

Rabid Cougar
06-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Since about two percent of the population are farmers I doubt that makes a difference. Do you consider the larger spread out subdivisions with horse barns like around Argyle country folks? I don't think so. I don't even consider the kids who go to China Spring, more than half of which live outside the city limits of Waco country kids. I do consider my nephew who lives 17 miles west of Tulia on a 10,000 acre farm in the Panhandle a farm kid and a pretty damd good football player. Damd good rodeoer too!

I would think small town vs city kids would be a better framed question and this even goes to say 5A Vs 1A.
Yes, city kids have an advantage in regards to facilities and programs availible to them and thus have an advantage of furthering their careers in sports. Unless a kid in an absolute stud in 1A, vast majority of small town kids never get the same consideration as an above average player at 5A.

RoyceTTU
06-15-2012, 08:47 PM
I honestly think the only thing that matters is the "city" schools typically have more kids to choose from and the "country" towns have less. Other than that the variables are coaches and pre jr high programs

Eagle1
06-15-2012, 09:12 PM
I honestly think the only thing that matters is the "city" schools typically have more kids to choose from and the "country" towns have less. Other than that the variables are coaches and pre jr high programs

Even kids in small towns don't work much anymore. Kids in small towns used to work all summer haulin hay and working and the city kids didn't do as much. Now they both lift weights and go to summer workouts so I guess now it does not matter as much.

Tejastrue
06-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Watermelon-fed?

Colors..Colors..

Eagle 1
06-16-2012, 08:55 AM

I agree.

Saggy Aggie
06-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Watermelon-fed?Lol

Where's that little black boy 'that's racist' video?

ronwx5x
06-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Almost all 3A schools would qualify as "country boy" schools. Not many 3A "city schools".

RoyceTTU
06-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Lol

Where's that little black boy 'that's racist' video?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m41eplDgVT1r2i2tqo2_400.gif

TxAthlete
06-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Neither heart nor skill is determined by demographic.

City Boys do however have the advantage of easier access to more specified and knowledgable training year-round.

NFL and college level players are more likely to live in more populated areas like Dallas, Austin, Houston, etc. once they're done with the game/school. So their kids, who are more often genetically predisposed to be high level athletes, would qualify as city boys.

regaleagle
06-18-2012, 08:13 AM
I would say today's athlete has access to excellent resources to hone his skills regardless of where he(or she) lives. Perhaps it is more difficult to gain the attention of those that hand out the athletic scholarships if a great athlete happens to compete at the lower classifications, but that does not mean the athletic ablities and skills of that particular athlete is not equal to that of the "city" star. In fact, many times these 'country' boys end up perfoming much better in college once they are given the opportunity to compete with the best in their sport. There just happens to be more to select from in the larger classifications, naturally. That does not mean one is better than the other.

LionFan72
06-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Neither heart nor skill is determined by demographics.

You just can't change a young man's heart, regardless of where he resides.

RoyceTTU
06-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Perhaps it is more difficult to gain the attention of those that hand out the athletic scholarships

Not sure I agree with this part. With technology these days such as hudl and others....with a coach that cares, any player can be found.

toddg
06-18-2012, 10:37 AM
like the HWjr song says..."a country boy can survive"!