PDA

View Full Version : Tarponfan you there?

Cam
06-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm headin' your way today. I won't have much time (probably only Saturday evening) but I'd like to take my two boys to do some jetty fishing and/or some pier fishing. Unless you got a better suggestion. How's the fishing on that big pier next to the lighthouse? I used to fish the old pier that was there (before hurricane blew here down) for sandies at night. Even caught a few black tip & baby hammerheads there.
Also, are the jetties still available? Padre has changed so much I don't know what's going on there anymore...

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Although I live in Houston now I'm still familiar with some of Port Isabel's (and South Padre's) finer fishing spots.

1. DO NOT fish off that pier near the causeway. Personally speaking, I've always had HORRIBLE luck catching anything off of there.
2. The Jetties on the South end of the Island is good. If you've got a cast net, try getting yourself some live mullet (or you can cut 'em up) or purchase some live shrimp. I've seen tons of Speckled Trout being caught off the Jetty with live shrimp. There's also the chance at some Pompano and Redfish.
3. IF you've got a vehicle that can drive on sand, there is an area north of the Convention Center on the bay side that is AWESOME Redfish territory. Use colored spoons (I've heard reports of silver spoons working extremely well) and go wade fishing and sight cast wherever you see any activity on the surface. Best time is in the morning, of course before the wind picks up.

Hope this helps!

Cam
06-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Although I live in Houston now I'm still familiar with some of Port Isabel's (and South Padre's) finer fishing spots.

1. DO NOT fish off that pier near the causeway. Personally speaking, I've always had HORRIBLE luck catching anything off of there.
2. The Jetties on the South end of the Island is good. If you've got a cast net, try getting yourself some live mullet (or you can cut 'em up) or purchase some live shrimp. I've seen tons of Speckled Trout being caught off the Jetty with live shrimp. There's also the chance at some Pompano and Redfish.
3. IF you've got a vehicle that can drive on sand, there is an area north of the Convention Center on the bay side that is AWESOME Redfish territory. Use colored spoons (I've heard reports of silver spoons working extremely well) and go wade fishing and sight cast wherever you see any activity on the surface. Best time is in the morning, of course before the wind picks up.

Hope this helps!

OK thanks...the jetties it is then.....I remember my uncle setting his rod & reel down on one of the granite blocks there......I happened to be lookin' at it when that rod & reel took off like a rocket into the water!!!.......LOL........some divers that were nearby were able to retrieve it and whatever was on the other end was still hooked......but not for long....line busted.....and that's my fishin' tale for the day.......

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-15-2012, 04:12 PM
By the way, when you fish the Jetties, use a popping cork. If you fish off the bottom, there are tons of crabs in the area that will take your bait into their hole and will cause you to snag which about 90% of the time will lead to you having to snap your line and losing your rig.

Cam
06-15-2012, 04:55 PM
By the way, when you fish the Jetties, use a popping cork. If you fish off the bottom, there are tons of crabs in the area that will take your bait into their hole and will cause you to snag which about 90% of the time will lead to you having to snap your line and losing your rig.

Dammit....is that what those are??....and all these years I thought I was battlin' a dolphin!..........Ok I'm outta here.....if you here of any fights in the news between a man and a woman somewhere in Port Isabel or Padre Island, it was probly just me and that school official from Marble Falls!......I'm gonna throw that wench into the gulf and let Moby slap her around with that big fin of his!....or maybe have that blue whale slam her with his giant....uhhh........never mind.......:devil:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Safe travels, sir! Wish I could be there too! But alas, I'm stuck here in Houston.

Emerson1
06-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Tarponfan, they are shutting down the Socom II servers August 31 :(

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Tarponfan, they are shutting down the Socom II servers August 31 :(

Meh, good riddance I say. I stopped playing it because I was tired of all the cheaters on there who would shoot you through walls, or jump from side to side and would somehow kill you with ease as you tried like hell to get them.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Mr. Cam, how was your fishing day? Get anything good?

Cam
06-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Mr. Cam, how was your fishing day? Get anything good?

It was nice to be out there with my kids.....but, we didn't catch much....my youngest caught about a 3 foot long ribbon fish (name ???)....
In a short while, see my "The End is definitely near" thread if you get a chance for a related story..........thanks for the advice....

Emerson1
06-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Meh, good riddance I say. I stopped playing it because I was tired of all the cheaters on there who would shoot you through walls, or jump from side to side and would somehow kill you with ease as you tried like hell to get them.
Ya it got pretty bad. There are still organized games though you can get in and play a legit game. I get on a couple times a year.