PDA

View Full Version : Ville duo headed to headeed to Texas State

Txbroadcaster
06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/midlands/post?id=3968&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblo g%2fncfrecruiting%2fmidlands%2fpost%3fid%3d3968

kinda shocked Gunter going there

Ville-D
06-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Click the "Print" button to read the whole article...

RoyceTTU
06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
there has to be more to this story. He picked TSU over Tech, Baylor and TCU.

I bet this doesn't stick. I would be willing to guess TSU was his only Texas offer as of now. This would likely change during the year.

hollywood
06-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Depending on success this Fall... things could change?

Matthew328
06-14-2012, 09:13 AM
I dont think there's any question if better offers come both would switch

Txbroadcaster
06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
I dont think there's any question if better offers come both would switch

Gunter especially IMO...this seems like a best friend commit at the moment

hollywood
06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
I know Gunter and his family. This is a good opportunity for them. Just a little quick draw mcgraw imo. I think the offers will continue to come in as the season is in full swing. Could be a year to challenge the record books with the 3A sized DB's they'll be up against.

slingshot
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
there has to be more to this story. He picked TSU over Tech, Baylor and TCU.

I bet this doesn't stick. I would be willing to guess TSU was his only Texas offer as of now. This would likely change during the year.Have you ever been to SWTSU... errr TSU? Most beautiful campus in the state... hands down. Now going D1--Mountain West after one year in the WAC. I love San Marcos. --SWTSU '82

RoyceTTU
06-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Have you ever been to SWTSU... errr TSU? Most beautiful campus in the state... hands down. Now going D1--Mountain West after one year in the WAC. I love San Marcos. --SWTSU '82

My bad, I recant my statement. Obviously, Mountain West or WAC > Big 12

slingshot
06-14-2012, 02:22 PM
My bad, I recant my statement. Obviously, Mountain West or WAC > Big 12Nooo... but San Marcos > Lubbock? Definitely!

hookandladder
06-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Have you ever been to SWTSU... errr TSU? Most beautiful campus in the state... hands down. Now going D1--Mountain West after one year in the WAC. I love San Marcos. --SWTSU '82

We were at the Texas State camp last Friday, college campus is great however the football facilities are lacking big time. The stadium is being upgraded however everything else needs big improvemnets also, it is still years away from competing with other Texas colleges.

RoyceTTU
06-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Nooo... but San Marcos > Lubbock? Definitely!

I'm going on a limb here, but i'd bet just about any amount of money that most players at his caliber looks at factors such as.....

Wins/Losses
Recognition
Staff
Facilities
Conference
TV schedule
Degree plans

than looking at the town the college resides in.

regaleagle
06-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Not much of a limb to go out on, really. And I understand the sarcasm of the statement, lol. I am a former Bobcat myself, but if that limb is strong enough, I'll get on it too!

RoyceTTU
06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Not much of a limb to go out on, really. And I understand the sarcasm of the statement, lol. I am a former Bobcat myself, but if that limb is strong enough, I'll get on it too!

I call dibs on the seat closest to the trunk, jus sayin......:devil:

Looking4number8
06-14-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm going on a limb here, but i'd bet just about any amount of money that most players at his caliber looks at factors such as.....

Wins/Losses
Recognition
Staff
Facilities
Conference
TV schedule
Degree plans

I think you left out the main thing guys are looking at when choosing. If his girlfriend wants to go there (and many girls do including my daughter because of the campus and river) then that might be a deciding factor.. I'm just making a WAG

Old Tiger
06-14-2012, 04:31 PM
A&M CC campsu > Texas State

slingshot
06-14-2012, 08:41 PM
A&M CC campsu > Texas StateUhhh... no.

Manso/V8
06-14-2012, 11:49 PM

Wins/Losses
Recognition
Staff
Facilities
Conference
TV schedule
Degree plans

Some small town kids don't want to venture too far. From the article, it sounds like he felt a lot more comfortable at TSU than other schools he visited.
If that is where he wants to play, then he should. From the sound of it, he could have an immediate impact at TSU. Congratulations to him.

mick5302
06-15-2012, 09:52 AM
If you ever follow up on some of these recruits who sign with big schools, you would be surprised how many transfer the following year to smaller schools. Some kids pick schools based on the name on the side of the helmet and not the name on the back of the Jersey. They report to camp and find themselves to be a little fish in a big pond. I for one think it would be more fun to actually get to play most of your college years. Im sure some have dreams of the NFL but that is not a reality for the majority, so pick a school where you get more playing time...JMO.

hollywood
06-15-2012, 10:34 AM
More offers will come... you can bet on that. The 3A DB's won't be able to defend the high octane attack the Ville will bring this season.

Lion70
06-15-2012, 10:49 AM
I know Gunter and his family. This is a good opportunity for them. Just a little quick draw mcgraw imo. I think the offers will continue to come in as the season is in full swing. Could be a year to challenge the record books with the 3A sized DB's they'll be up against.

LOL your in for a suprise.

Lion70
06-15-2012, 10:50 AM
More offers will come... you can bet on that. The 3A DB's won't be able to defend the high octane attack the Ville will bring this season.

again lol

hollywood
06-15-2012, 05:09 PM
LOL your in for a suprise.

Lol... you have no clue. I've been around a while. I'm not discounting Carthage but most 3A's out in these parts, it won't be close.

hollywood
06-15-2012, 05:10 PM
again lol

:spitlol:

BaseballUmp
06-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Can yall just shut it and let us enjoy this while we can?

Manso/V8
06-15-2012, 11:34 PM

If you are really a big supporter of the kid, then maybe you shouldn't say he the reason he will be successful is because 3a DB's aren't as tall or imply they aren't as good as what he faced in 4a, sounds kind of cheap and condescending.......why don't you say that he is bigger, faster, stronger, and better than last year? Didn't that article say he ran a 4.5something and also put on some size? If he is a top 300 recruit and a top 25 nationwide WR recruit, my guess is that he would eat up 5a DB's as well, or do you have doubts about his ability to compete against higher level DB's? If he is 6'3", that fast, runs good routes, has a decent QB, and catches every thing in his area code, then he would do well at whatever level of hs football. Remember, he is a 3a athlete, so are his teammates, including the DB's.

Tejastrue
06-15-2012, 11:53 PM
If you are really a big supporter of the kid, then maybe you shouldn't say he the reason he will be successful is because 3a DB's aren't as tall or imply they aren't as good as what he faced in 4a, sounds kind of cheap and condescending.......why don't you say that he is bigger, faster, stronger, and better than last year? Didn't that article say he ran a 4.5something and also put on some size? If he is a top 300 recruit and a top 25 nationwide WR recruit, my guess is that he would eat up 5a DB's as well, or do you have doubts about his ability to compete against higher level DB's? If he is 6'3", that fast, runs good routes, has a decent QB, and catches every thing in his area code, then he would do well at whatever level of hs football. Remember, he is a 3a athlete, so are his teammates, including the DB's.

Wow Manso..any success this young man has will be tainted by the fact he did against 3A midgets...sorry... little people...lol... Go Texas State!!

Manso/V8
06-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Wow Manso..any success this young man has will be tainted by the fact he did against 3A midgets...sorry... little people...lol... Go Texas State!!

Funny thing.......skimming over that ESPN Top 300 recruit list, I didn't actually count it each one, but it appears that the Texas kids on the list are pretty evenly distributed among 3a, 4a, and 5a, and the top ranked Texas recruit is a 3a athlete. So, I guess if we took time to do the math, a greater percentage of Texas 3a players made the Top 300 compared to 4a and 5a. Maybe the competition is better in 3a.

Tejastrue
06-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Funny thing.......skimming over that ESPN Top 300 recruit list, I didn't actually count it each one, but it appears that the Texas kids on the list are pretty evenly distributed among 3a, 4a, and 5a, and the top ranked Texas recruit is a 3a athlete. So, I guess if we took time to do the math, a greater percentage of Texas 3a players made the Top 300 compared to 4a and 5a. Maybe the competition is better in 3a.

Interesting...but then it could be because several teams, I won't mention, dropped down this year..lol

Ville-D
06-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Interesting...but then it could be because several teams, I won't mention, dropped down this year..lol

You guys are right 3A is the pinnacle of Texas HS Football. Glad we finally dropped so you guys can teach us the ways of 3A. I hope we don't disappoint you.

Manso/V8
06-17-2012, 10:36 AM
You guys are right 3A is the pinnacle of Texas HS Football. Glad we finally dropped so you guys can teach us the ways of 3A. I hope we don't disappoint you.

The pinnacle of Texas football, I am not so sure, that's gotta be 5a.

I do think 3a is the most competitive and interesting classification, and probably best represents small town Texas high school football.
Don't think about Stephenville dropping to 3a, think about Stephenville upgrading to 3a!

hollywood
06-17-2012, 11:42 AM

All in fun man... not degrading anyone in 3A at all. It is what it is. For what it's worth, 3A is basically the old 4A in many aspects. After watching the Tarleton SQT, there were a good balance of 1A, 2A, and 3A schools. Stephenville looked like a 5A team out there. Stephenville is loaded this year. They have a soph receiver that is just as good as Gunter. IMO, this kid Jerret Stidham (spelling?) is the best athlete on the team. He's also the 2nd string QB. This kid is going to be special. Shipley-isk. He made DB's look silly all day. With the combination of Gunter, Stidham, Sanchez, Westbrook, Isham, and Brown... Jones will have an onslot of receivers to pick apart defenses this season that will challenge the record books. We'll have to see, but by looking at the schedule, it's very possible.

gatordaze
06-17-2012, 11:45 AM
All in fun man... not degrading anyone in 3A at all. It is what it is. For what it's worth, 3A is basically the old 4A in many aspects. After watching the Tarleton SQT, there were a good balance of 1A, 2A, and 3A schools. Stephenville looked like a 5A team out there. Stephenville is loaded this year. They have a soph receiver that is just as good as Gunter. IMO, this kid Jerret Stidham (spelling?) is the best athlete on the team. He's also the 2nd string QB. This kid is going to be special. Shipley-isk. He made DB's look silly all day. With the combination of Gunter, Stidham, Sanchez, Westbrook, Isham, and Brown... Jones will have an onslot of receivers to pick apart defenses this season that will challenge the record books. We'll have to see, but by looking at the schedule, it's very possible.

That reminds me, anyone heard from Rocket?;-)

Manso/V8
06-17-2012, 03:59 PM

It sounds like yall are really loaded this year, but it would be more "fun" and maybe it would come off classier if you were a little more subtle in your enthusiasm. But go ahead, keep it coming, its all good, makes the off season board interesting.......and I am having fun picking at the daddyballer ways. It is like a new episode of Hank Hill every day. Are you sure it isn't Arlenville?

I haven't been to a 7on7 game in a while. Was the Tarleton SQT, flag football, two-hand touch, or just one-hand touch?

If yall have that many good receivers, then the record breaking might go to the QB and/or team, instead of one receiver. I would guess that Gunter is the number one target?

Ville-D
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Where are you from Hollywood? I thought you were from Brownwood.

Old Tiger
06-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Where are you from Hollywood? I thought you were from Brownwood.obviously hollywood.

Sville
06-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Where are you from Hollywood? I thought you were from Brownwood.

He is originally from Bwood but has lived in the Ville for several years. I think we have him nearly converted.

hollywood
06-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Sville, good to see ya Saturday. I've been in Stephenville for almost 2 decades. I converted last year. ;)
My children are old enough to know now. I'll always support my alma mater, but blue and gold is part of my wardrobe now. Lol
I've known several of these kids from S'ville all their life and don't know a sole on the Wood's team. It's time. ;)

Ville-D
06-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Glad to have you Hollywood...

BEAST
06-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Sville, good to see ya Saturday. I've been in Stephenville for almost 2 decades. I converted last year. ;)
My children are old enough to know now. I'll always support my alma mater, but blue and gold is part of my wardrobe now. Lol
I've known several of these kids from S'ville all their life and don't know a sole on the Wood's team. It's time. ;)

TRAITOR!!! Off with your head. LOL

BEAST

hollywood
06-19-2012, 11:59 AM
TRAITOR!!! Off with your head. LOL

BEAST

LOL!! Yeah, like I said.. I'll always support my alma mater, but it's part of life. Paid more taxes here than I ever did in Brownwood. Lol

Manso/V8
06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
LOL!! Yeah, like I said.. I'll always support my alma mater, but it's part of life. Paid more taxes here than I ever did in Brownwood. Lol

That makes you a bona fide Villager!

hollywood
06-20-2012, 11:37 AM
That makes you a bona fide Villager!

They've excepted me after a couple of decades. Maybe they felt sorry for my kids. :doh:

RoyceTTU
06-21-2012, 11:22 AM

http://plus4chan.org/b/co/src/133329519863.jpg

:devil:

Ville-D
06-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Royce and Beast - we have room for your here too.

Gone Fishing
06-21-2012, 08:02 PM

"the best athlete on the team" WOW!!! I would be pissed if I heard that out of anybody on or around our program saying something like that, wether iit was true or not! If its true why is he the second string QB?
Also if there was 1A and 2A and 3A schools there I would expect Stephenville to look good. They are a 4 A school dropping and rated #1 in the state!

Ville-D
06-22-2012, 02:54 AM
"the best athlete on the team" WOW!!! I would be pissed if I heard that out of anybody on or around our program saying something like that, wether iit was true or not! If its true why is he the second string QB?
Also if there was 1A and 2A and 3A schools there I would expect Stephenville to look good. They are a 4 A school dropping and rated #1 in the state!

GF is your team that insecure or is it just you? I don't understand why any team would be "pissed" to have a great athlete on the team. Stidham is one of those special players that can step in and play any of the skill positions on either side of the ball and there would be very little drop-off in the level of play - and he is only a sophomore. I'd have to agree with Hollywood that he is probably the best "all-around" athlete on the team. He will be playing WR this year, but what ever position that put him in, I'd rate him as a "All-State" caliber player. (and he is one of the most humble individuial you will ever meet.)

Manso/V8
06-22-2012, 08:37 AM
GF is your team that insecure or is it just you? I don't understand why any team would be "pissed" to have a great athlete on the team. Stidham is one of those special players that can step in and play any of the skill positions on either side of the ball and there would be very little drop-off in the level of play - and he is only a sophomore. I'd have to agree with Hollywood that he is probably the best "all-around" athlete on the team. He will be playing WR this year, but what ever position that put him in, I'd rate him as a "All-State" caliber player. (and he is one of the most humble individuial you will ever meet.)

My take on this is that at the hs level, it is better to focus on the strength of the team and not direct too much admiration or praise towards individuals about their abilities. Young minds sometimes don't handle that praise very well, especially when it comes from adults. I have been on teams with blue chippers who got a lot of praise early on and through high school, and it didn't do them any favors. They kind of flamed out because of attitude. This kid may be different since from what you say he is very humble, but that can change as he progresses in high school, and I have noticed kids that are humble in front of adults sometimes aren't so humble in front of their peers. I don't think it is wrong to commend kids, but maybe add he has a lot of potential, or he could be all-state if he continues to work hard, or he is a great teammate, etc. If the Villager kids aren't reading this board yet, they probably will be at some point in the future..........just saying.

hollywood
06-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Some of you guys crack me up! This is a freakin' sports forum!! Smack. Most kids haven't even heard of this thread.

hollywood
06-22-2012, 09:56 AM

Well stated Ville-D!

RoyceTTU
06-22-2012, 10:13 AM
http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af57/roycettu/ignorelist.jpg

Can someone tell me if Hollywood's comments are worth un-ignoring him. He is banned until he quits being retarded and starts rooting Brownwood again.

Thx :spitlol:

hahaha,,,j/k buddy, sorta, kinda
:D

Btw- i agree with you, there was nothing wrong with what you said. Much midol needs to spread amongst here

regaleagle
06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
All a bunch of cornmush! Just wait til the season starts and the defenses get geared up full throttle. Makes that 7 on 7 look kinda childish. It's good for what it is, but defense still rules the day. And this is coming from an offensive-minded Argyllian fan that loves our wide-open attack. I'm not saying S-ville doesn't have some talented players, but their road is relatively "easy" considering some of the rest of the regions in 3A this upcoming season. I look for them to be at the top of the rankings weekly until they meet a team that puts the whammy to them. It WILL happen, just a matter of which team in which week, IMO. The JELLOJACKETS, ha ha.

hollywood
06-22-2012, 10:18 AM
http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af57/roycettu/ignorelist.jpg

Can someone tell me if Hollywood's comments are worth un-ignoring him. He is banned until he quits being retarded and starts rooting Brownwood again.

Thx :spitlol:

hahaha,,,j/k buddy, sorta, kinda
:D

Btw- i agree with you, there was nothing wrong with what you said. Much midol needs to spread amongst here

LOL! Very funny... I knew I would get some flack. I'm sure it's not the end. I just can't bring myself to move back only to support my alma mater. :D

Yes... some get very worked up over a simple message board.

Sad times indeed as PhilC would say. :(

Ville-D
06-22-2012, 11:58 AM
All a bunch of cornmush! Just wait til the season starts and the defenses get geared up full throttle. Makes that 7 on 7 look kinda childish. It's good for what it is, but defense still rules the day. And this is coming from an offensive-minded Argyllian fan that loves our wide-open attack. I'm not saying S-ville doesn't have some talented players, but their road is relatively "easy" considering some of the rest of the regions in 3A this upcoming season. I look for them to be at the top of the rankings weekly until they meet a team that puts the whammy to them. It WILL happen, just a matter of which team in which week, IMO. The JELLOJACKETS, ha ha.

I hope we get chance to play in semi finals as DCTF has predicted. I'd love to watch Argyle play.

Maybe we'll have a few losses by then, since we'll have the huge target on our chest everybody should give it their best. I can't wait till this season gets rolling.

hollywood
06-22-2012, 12:03 PM

That's a funny post regaleagle. Btw S'ville's defense will have plenty of talent, no question. The D-line is big and strong. The nose guard recently set the school record in bench press. The LB corp is very solid and with good speed. The secondary is relatively a new group but experienced and fast. One DB is one of the fastestest kids in the state.

This years team will probably be the fastest overall team S'ville has had in a long time. After knowing the potential these players have had the last few years, they have proved they can play. It's going to be a fun season for sure. Not disrespecting any other teams talent or well being, but S'ville will be the team to beat in 2012. And it's going to take a helluva team to do so IMO... like a La Marque, Wimberely, Coldspring, Navasota, or Carthage.

Manso/V8
06-22-2012, 12:32 PM
S'ville will be the team to beat in 2012. And it's going to take a helluva team to do so IMO... like a La Marque, Wimberely, Coldspring, Navasota, or Carthage.

I think La Marque, Wimberley, and Coldspring will all likely be D2 schools. I think even Navasota might be D2 this year, Hemotoxic will know. I am not sure about Carthage.

You might have some challenges pre-district, but your are gonna need to pick a few more names that you might meet in the playoffs.

Manso/V8
06-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Some of you guys crack me up! This is a freakin' sports forum!! Smack. Most kids haven't even heard of this thread.

Nothing to smack about right now, it is all conjecture, 7on7 and stuff that happened last year. You might lose key guys to injuries at church camp before the season starts. Maybe someone will fail a 'roid test, or UIL will realize that half the team was held back two years for "academic" reasons and now they are too old to play high school ball. How many many 19 year olds are gonna be on the team this year? Yall got the giggles so bad about that team that the kids are in control.

I hear there are at least 4 or 5 Villagers literally flying helicopters around following their kids!!

Ville-D
06-22-2012, 01:53 PM
You might lose key guys to injuries at church camp before the season starts. Maybe someone will fail a 'roid test, or UIL will realize that half the team was held back two years for "academic" reasons and now they are too old to play high school ball.

Whats that old saying about "Wishing in one hand and shi..."

Ville-D
06-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Maybe someone will fail a 'roid test

Also, wishing for felony drug charges for a HS kid is pathetic. Get a life.

regaleagle
06-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Y'all know I'm just joshin' over here in Argyle about them Yellowjackets, but at least I got some buzz outta my post, anyways. But also, there is a little speck of truth in some of that post that'll keep a fan in his seat the whole season long...just in case. We won't talk about cases yet, except all the HEADcases that think winning district and their DI Region 1 deserves a standing ovation. Looks like all of the Region 1 teams will just hafta play second fiddle this year to S-ville, right boys??? And that don't even count the DI Region 2, 3, or 4 winners. Just no tellin' what might take place this season, but I'll be watching each week...just in case.