PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Cordell out at Andrews?

stang92
06-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Jeff Cordell was stopped 6 miles south of Andrews Sat on US 385 and was charged with DWI. Sad deal. Good group of kids coming back next year. Heard he was resigning. Probably forced out.

Ranger Mom
06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
It was just announced he has been "reassigned."

http://www.kwes.com/story/18875664/andrews-isd-head-football-coach-reassigned

stang92
06-25-2012, 05:44 PM
I wasn't expecting that. i wander if he'll just teach? I know his sons are excellent athletes coming up. I hope Andrews can hire a quality coach after this football season.

coachc45
06-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Why would they re-assign him. He made a mistake and is paying for it through the legal system. Isn't that enough? It has absolutely no effect on his coaching ability.

Matthew328
06-25-2012, 08:05 PM
seems to be par for the course in these instances..I'm not surprised they re-assigned him sadly

stang92
06-25-2012, 09:34 PM
I think the problem is that AISD has a zero tolerance policy with their student athletes. If you play sports at any level 9th grade through 12th grade and are charged or caught using or possessing alcohol or drugs you're done for good. It would be hard to justify to the parents of a player who was charged with DWI and kicked off the team in the middle of the year how the administration didn't hold the same standard for the AD/Head football coach. A dwi could happen to anyone, but an AD/head football coach has to use better judgement. Any way you look at it it's a sad deal. Rumor is if he didn't have a big year this year he was likely gone anyway, this is probably not the way he wanted to go out.

Pick6
06-26-2012, 08:14 AM
A dwi could happen to anyone,

Totally disagree with this. Not one person in my families, my mothers side, my fathers side and my in-laws have never gotten a DWI. It's obvious that it could happen to anyone who is stupid enough to drink and drive.

hollywood
06-26-2012, 08:53 AM
That's a tough blow to Andrews. Sorry to hear.

Everyone makes mistakes and a lack of better judgement from time to time. We're all sinners Pick6.

Sville
06-26-2012, 09:34 AM
We're all sinners Pick6.

I agree, we don't need to judge just because someone sins differently than us.

And don't get this confused we being held accountable.

bolshavik
06-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Pick6 - Get real, what a horrible thing to say. Here is a guy that is losing his job and you are tooting your own horn on how perfect you and your family is. Yall are just soooooooooooooo much better than everybody else. I hope Karma wrecks your life.

Manso/V8
06-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Unfortunate situation all the way around.

Totally disagree with this. Not one person in my families, my mothers side, my fathers side and my in-laws have never gotten a DWI. It's obvious that it could happen to anyone who is stupid enough to drink and drive.

I agree with this post. CHOICES.

Ranger Mom
06-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Pick6 - Get real, what a horrible thing to say. Here is a guy that is losing his job and you are tooting your own horn on how perfect you and your family is. Yall are just soooooooooooooo much better than everybody else. I hope Karma wrecks your life.

THAT is a horrible thing to say too!!!!:eek:

Txbroadcaster
06-26-2012, 11:02 AM

My wife weighs all of 110 pounds and can drink like a sailor but the other night at a HH for her job one of the guys had a breathalyser and they were having fun with it...she got had ONE drink and then used it and was legally drunk even though she was in NO way drunk..so to act like every person who gets a DWI cant drive or should not be driving and made a wrong choice is not right

Pick6
06-26-2012, 11:14 AM

i am not tooting my own horn. Just stating the facts that a DWI can't happen to everyone. It can only happen to people who choose to drink and drive. Never did i make light of Coach Cordell for losing his coaching duties either or make any derogatory comments about Coach Cordell. So if saying that only people that drink can get DWI's is such a horrible thing and i deserve bad karma for that, then i will own up to it and accept whatever bad karma that comment deserves.

bolshavik
06-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Txbroadcaster- you are SPOT ON... People should also know that when they raised the limit to .1 they didn't get enough DWI's so they lowered the limit back to.08. IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY. It has come extremely political. Now, there are drunk drivers that can't even walk and get behind a wheel but there is a difference in having a couple of drinks and driving. Also, the test they put people under are set up for people to fail. It is a total sham but it is a GREAT way to make money.

Bullaholic
06-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Txbroadcaster- you are SPOT ON... People should also know that when they raised the limit to .1 they didn't get enough DWI's so they lowered the limit back to.08. IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY. It has come extremely political. Now, there are drunk drivers that can't even walk and get behind a wheel but there is a difference in having a couple of drinks and driving. Also, the test they put people under are set up for people to fail. It is a total sham but it is a GREAT way to make money.

bol, I drank and drove when I was young, and am probably lucky that I didn't kill myself, or someone else back then. So, I have to ask---why does anyone feel the need to drink and drive nowadays? Seems like the potential bad far outweighs the good to my now well-adult way of thinking.

Sville
06-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Bullsh!t it is about saving lives and your are a first rate dumb@$$ for this post. Try being in the fire service for 16 years and responding to a fatality wreck where the driver said "I just had a few". Driving is a privilege not a right and if you had to much to drink according to the law then don't get behind the wheel. It is real simple.

pirate4state
06-26-2012, 01:36 PM
bol, I drank and drove when I was young, and am probably lucky that I didn't kill myself, or someone else back then. So, I have to ask---why does anyone feel the need to drink and drive nowadays? Seems like the potential bad far outweighs the good to my now well-adult way of thinking.

Because drunks don't ever think they are drunk and only think of themselves! and have you ever tried to reason with a drunk? lmao

Bullsh!t it is about saving lives and your are a first rate dumb@$$ for this post. Try being in the fire service for 16 years and responding to a fatality wreck where the driver said "I just had a few". Driving is a privilege not a right and if you had to much to drink according to the law then don't get behind the wheel. It is real simple.

do we still have a rules section or is that gone by the wayside? smh

Bullaholic
06-26-2012, 01:41 PM
I think this thread is about to get like Syria and Turkey right now......:D

Gsquared
06-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Now im hungry.

Turkey sandwich with mayo and Syrup.

RoyceTTU
06-26-2012, 02:16 PM

do we still have a rules section or is that gone by the wayside? smh

I don't see anything wrong with this post

GrTigers6
06-26-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this postI m guessing she is talking about the name calling!

RoyceTTU
06-26-2012, 02:19 PM
I m guessing she is talking about the name calling!

if the shoe fits :devil:

bolshavik
06-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Saving lives...who gives a crap!!!!!! People have to die one way or another. Would it make you feel better if everybody just fell died in their sleep? If you do not want to be in a wreck then do not drive. Statistics say 40% of all wrecks are alcohol related...That means the other 60 % are caused by sober drivers. Seems like sober drivers have more wrecks then drunk drivers. Lets get the sober people off the roads!!!

RoyceTTU
06-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Saving lives...who gives a crap!!!!!! People have to die one way or another. Would it make you feel better if everybody just fell died in their sleep? If you do not want to be in a wreck then do not drive. Statistics say 40% of all wrecks are alcohol related...That means the other 60 % are caused by sober drivers. Seems like sober drivers have more wrecks then drunk drivers. Lets get the sober people off the roads!!!

your trolling attempts are plain ignorant.
nice try

Pick6
06-26-2012, 03:27 PM
your trolling attempts are plain ignorant.
nice try

I think calling his trolling attempts ignorant is giving to much credit. Whatever is below ignorant might be close to his trolling attempts.

Saggy Aggie
06-26-2012, 03:28 PM
I just see it like this: it doesn't matter if he had only had a few to drink and wasn't drunk or whatever. Fact is, he was driving over the legal limit and that is against the law. When you're in a teaching/mentoring position you have to lead by example. You can't lay down these guidelines that all your players have to follow and then not follow them yourself. I feel bad for the guy but he deserves to lose his job over this IMO.

People screw up and he did this time. I'm sure he'll land on his feet elsewhere.

tres beauties
06-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Just throwing this out there.... if he has his bus license (Class B CDL), then he is legally intoxicated at .04.

RoyceTTU
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Just playing devil's advocate here...

Do sometime we/admin cruicify too early. I mean, is this guy such a bad guy that he doesn't deserve to go to substance abuse classes etc... and work towards bettering his situation. Is it just as bad to show students your going to give up on somebody the first time they make a mistake.
It's not unheard of for something like this to happen and it completely changes a person for the better. Sometime not though.

food for thought

bolshavik
06-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Well, Jr high kids can't drive to school so maybe all Jr high personnel should not drive to school either so as to set a good example. Most high school kids can't vote either so maybe we as educators should not vote so as to set a good example for them.

95mustang
06-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Well, Jr high kids can't drive to school so maybe all Jr high personnel should not drive to school either so as to set a good example. Most high school kids can't vote either so maybe we as educators should not vote so as to set a good example for them.

You are trying to hard to look like a fool.

Bullaholic
06-26-2012, 04:04 PM
You are trying to hard to look like a fool.

I am going to step in and take up for bol a little---I'll have you know he has never had to try very hard to look like a fool....

You can thank me later, bol.....:D

Saggy Aggie
06-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Well, Jr high kids can't drive to school so maybe all Jr high personnel should not drive to school either so as to set a good example. Most high school kids can't vote either so maybe we as educators should not vote so as to set a good example for them. you're an 'educator'?

Good lord, with that intelligence level? No wonder Texas is damn near dead last in the country in education...

There is no comparison between what you just said and this situation.

Voting and driving versus drunk driving? You can't be serious

pirate4state
06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
I m guessing she is talking about the name calling! Yeah, but apparently if the shoe fits it is OK! lol

I'll keep that in mind going forward...

pirate4state
06-26-2012, 04:43 PM
I am going to step in and take up for bol a little---I'll have you know he has never had to try very hard to look like a fool....

You can thank me later, bol.....:D

hahaha :D

Pick6
06-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Just playing devil's advocate here...

Do sometime we/admin cruicify too early. I mean, is this guy such a bad guy that he doesn't deserve to go to substance abuse classes etc... and work towards bettering his situation. Is it just as bad to show students your going to give up on somebody the first time they make a mistake.
It's not unheard of for something like this to happen and it completely changes a person for the better. Sometime not though.

food for thought

I see what your saying. Over in Collinsville their coach had some trouble years past, before he went to collinsville. He has made better CHOICES since then and is well respected in the community for his honesty. No one here on this thread had any negativity towards Coach Cordell. I think each situation needs to be handled in a way that is best for the students and the community. If that means maybe suspending him for 2 games or not letting him coach at the school again, then so be it. The school board in Andrews has the final say in what they think is best for AISD. Hopefully they will make the decision that best helps move the school forward.

bolshavik
06-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Make 1 mistake and get fired. That is the christian way.

Tin Cup
06-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Making mistakes and breaking the law are not always one in the same. There is no excuse for his actions and I bet he knew the consequences of his actions, even before he got caught. Drinking and driving is 100% avoidable. If his reassignment leads to one kid not drinking and driving and being killed its worth it(I know this is a bit of a stretch) These kids look up to coaches to lead by example. He was not leading by example. It's an unfortunate event for all involved.

bolshavik
06-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Tincup- Nobody looks at the world that way. Life is not some big lesson. Kids do not give a crap about any of that. Wonder how people are going to feel when the dwi is thrown out or he is not convicted? People sure jump the gun on who is guilty and what the punishment should be.

Saggy Aggie
06-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Tincup- Nobody looks at the world that way. Life is not some big lesson. Kids do not give a crap about any of that. Wonder how people are going to feel when the dwi is thrown out or he is not convicted? People sure jump the gun on who is guilty and what the punishment should be. except that there is no gray area here. No uncertainty really. He was driving. His blood alcohol content was over the legal limit. <--- against the law.

He is in a leadership position where he is required to lead by example and breaking the law is not what the administration is looking for.

I just can't sympathize with him. Just a stupid decision.

bolshavik
06-26-2012, 09:09 PM
How do you know is BAC was over the limit? You know that for a fact Faggy Aggie?

Saggy Aggie
06-26-2012, 09:37 PM
How do you know is BAC was over the limit? You know that for a fact Faggy Aggie? why else would he get a dwi and reassigned? You think they did it just for sh!ts and giggles? It's my understanding that you don't get a dwi without being guilty. It's one of those you did or you didn't kinda things.

Are you sympathetic because you're an alcoholic? Lol

coachc45
06-26-2012, 11:14 PM
why else would he get a dwi and reassigned? You think they did it just for sh!ts and giggles? It's my understanding that you don't get a dwi without being guilty. It's one of those you did or you didn't kinda things.

Are you sympathetic because you're an alcoholic? Lol

Thats not true. Buddy of mine got a DWI without drinking. He failed the field sobriety test, because of recent knee surgery that he told the cop about, and the breath-analyser was on the fritz. Cuffed him, booked him, and put him in the slammer. He was charged with a DWI..... went to court and had the case thrown out.

Being charged does not mean Guilty, it means there was suspicion.

Saggy Aggie
06-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Thats not true. Buddy of mine got a DWI without drinking. He failed the field sobriety test, because of recent knee surgery that he told the cop about, and the breath-analyser was on the fritz. Cuffed him, booked him, and put him in the slammer. He was charged with a DWI..... went to court and had the case thrown out.

Being charged does not mean Guilty, it means there was suspicion. this is like a 1/1000 scenario. Do you actually think this is what happened here?

99% of the time the breathalyzer isn't 'on the fritz'

Manso/V8
06-27-2012, 12:51 AM
this is like a 1/1000 scenario. Do you actually think this is what happened here?

I abhor the idea of people drinking and driving. I do not drink if I will be driving later. I don't want drivers who have been drinking on the road. We just had an 18 year girl killed in an accident just days before she was going to graduate, and the two underage drivers had been drinking. That stuff really hits home when you know the people involved.

However, breathalyzers are not foolproof and can give false readings, most cops are admirable people but not all are, many cops are bright, well intentioned, and use good judgement in who they arrest for whatever offense but some do not use good judgement........in Brazos County, where you go to college, they pay cops overtime to appear at DWI trails, so there is a high motivation for them to hand out DWI tickets. Try to say the alphabet backwards and do some of those field sobriety tests right after knee surgery with a flashlight in your face from an aggressive cop who is motivated to slap you with a DWI, then go blow in to an inaccurate breathalyzer. Hasn't happened to me, but it has happened to people I know.

In this country, being charged doesn't neccesarily mean you are guilty. You have the right to your day in court and have the charges and evidence reviewed and judged by a jury of your peers.

bolshavik
06-27-2012, 09:28 AM
One should never ever take a breathalyzer or any of the field sobriety test. They are all set up for people to fail. Again, this whole DWI deal is a way for the courts and attonrney's to make money.

GrTigers6
06-27-2012, 09:35 AM
One should never ever take a breathalyzer or any of the field sobriety test. They are all set up for people to fail. Again, this whole DWI deal is a way for the courts and attonrney's to make money.Problem with that is if you refuse a breathalyzer with a CDL its automatic arrest

bolshavik
06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Yes but they still have ZERO evidence against you.

coachc45
06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
this is like a 1/1000 scenario. Do you actually think this is what happened here?

The point is, we have NO IDEA what happened here. You are painting him guilty and you weren't there! Being accused and being GUILTY are not the same thing! People who decide Guilt without any of the facts other than the tiny article on here just amaze me. I tend to wait until a person is convicted before deciding he's guilty. You should learn that yourself.

RoyceTTU
06-27-2012, 10:35 AM
pretty sure that if he resigned, he already confessed to wrong doing to atleast the administration
otherwise he'd either be getting fired and probably getting an attorney proficient in labor laws.

ccmom
06-27-2012, 10:40 AM
pretty sure that if he resigned, he already confessed to wrong doing to atleast the administration
otherwise he'd either be getting fired and probably getting an attorney proficient in labor laws.

He resigned??? I thought he was "reassigned".

bolshavik
06-27-2012, 11:32 AM
All these holier than thou folks on here make me sick. I hope Karma kicks yalls ACE 9 ways to sunday

Bullaholic
06-27-2012, 11:40 AM
All these holier than thou folks on here make me sick. I hope Karma kicks yalls ACE 9 ways to sunday

I have never considered myself holier, or better than anyone---and I hope you find relief for your bitterness, bol.

RoyceTTU
06-27-2012, 11:43 AM

well hell, do you honestly expect me to skim through and actually pay attention to what they write
:blush:

RoyceTTU
06-27-2012, 11:45 AM

well hell, do you honestly expect me to skim through and actually pay attention to what they write
:blush:

just as a side note, even taking a reassignment is in theory admiting wrong-doing so we are talking about the same thing really.

bolshavik
06-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Accept a reassignment? Come on...Are you even a teacher/coach? If the big dog wants to reassign you there is not much fighting it. I mean you can file a grievance but in the end you will be reassigned.

RoyceTTU
06-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Accept a reassignment? Come on...Are you even a teacher/coach? If the big dog wants to reassign you there is not much fighting it. I mean you can file a grievance but in the end you will be reassigned.

still trolling i see
this thread and forum is much better without you
carry on

bolshavik
06-27-2012, 02:10 PM
How is asking if you are even a teacher/coach trolling? You have no clue what you are talking about

coachc45
06-27-2012, 04:22 PM
just as a side note, even taking a reassignment is in theory admiting wrong-doing so we are talking about the same thing really.

Accepting a reassignment is not even close to the same thing as admitting wrong doing. They can reassign him for any reason at any time.

RoyceTTU
06-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Accepting a reassignment is not even close to the same thing as admitting wrong doing. They can reassign him for any reason at any time.

someone pretty dang smart once told me there is no such thing as a coincidence.

coachc45
06-27-2012, 05:32 PM
someone pretty dang smart once told me there is no such thing as a coincidence.

Someone really smart once told me "Judge not lest Ye be judged"!

bolshavik
06-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Someone pretty dang dumb is named RoyceTTU

coachc45
06-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Someone really smart once told me "Judge not lest Ye be judged"!

Plus it wasn't coincidence....he was reassingned for being charged with a DWI. Nowhere does it say, or does his reassingment say, that he was actually drunk. It says he was charged. Was he drunk? I have absolutely no idea, I wasn't there. Neither were you!

Ranger Mom
06-27-2012, 09:40 PM

So is being reassigned the same as being fired??

Ranger Mom
06-27-2012, 09:45 PM
And another thing....this is the first time I have been on this thread since I posted that he had be reassigned, I don't like the tone it has taken or the name calling going on! Clean it up or I am cleaning house!!

coachc45
06-27-2012, 11:21 PM
So is being reassigned the same as being fired??

Reassigned means that they don't have enough on him to fire him. They have to assign him a postion in the district that draws equal pay and equal stature. Like head of maintenance or transportation. He still has a job with the same salary, just a different position.

GrTigers6
06-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Reassigned means that they don't have enough on him to fire him. They have to assign him a postion in the district that draws equal pay and equal stature. Like head of maintenance or transportation. He still has a job with the same salary, just a different position.If head of maintenance or transportation makes as much than the A.D. Then Im working for the wrong District.:D

Txbroadcaster
06-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Reassigned means that they don't have enough on him to fire him. They have to assign him a postion in the district that draws equal pay and equal stature. Like head of maintenance or transportation. He still has a job with the same salary, just a different position.

It is basically the ISD's way of forcing a coaches hand...either stay on for same pay but in a job that he most likely will not like..or lose the pay and move on looking for another job.

It also saves a little face for the coach because he does not have to put on resume fired from a school

RoyceTTU
06-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Uh oh, someone tattled to Mom :evillol:

Matthew328
06-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Just knowing what my sources out that way had told me, they all to a man said there was no way Coach Cordell would still be HFC/AD after this....obviously they were spot on with that assessment. I agree with TxB on this one, I think the reassignment looks to be more of an amicable divorce and gives Coach Cordell a chance to get things in order and not have being fired on his resume etc.

My guess is Andrews didn't want to fire Coach Cordell and risk some lawsuit etc ($$$$$$) and my guess is Coach Cordell probably wouldnt want to risk having this drug out any longer either...the MAD principle..mutually assured destruction

Ranger Mom
06-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Uh oh, someone tattled to Mom :evillol:

No one had to tattle...I can read!! ;)

skins4life
07-01-2012, 09:27 AM

I believe the CHRISTIAN way is Matthew 7: verse 1. " Do not judge, or you too will be judged" NIV

skins4life
07-01-2012, 09:34 AM
99% of the time the breathalyzer isn't 'on the fritz'[/QUOTE]

If you have a dip of snuff when blowing and accidently blow some in the breath analyzer, it will cause it to go on the fritz every time. ;) ;)