PDA

View Full Version : UIL to consider a 4th playoff team for 3A,2a,1a

Lion70
06-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Recommend 0UIL proposal seeks to add 4th playoff team in 3A, 2A in all sports BySportsDayDFW sports

websports@dallasnews.com | Bio

11:55 AM on Tue., Jun. 12, 2012 | Permalink

From SportsDayHS staff writer Corbett Smith:

AUSTIN -- The UIL legislative council standing committee on academics passed a proposal this morning in Austin that pitches adding a fourth playoff team in all Class 3A and 2A team sports.

If the proposal is approved by the UIL legislative council in October then all 11-man 2013-14 UIL football championships would be at the same location and on the same weekend. That change would also move up the Class 3A Div. I game.

Lion70
06-12-2012, 12:41 PM
4 teams is too much just like in 4a and 5a. You will get a team that has no business being in the playoffs. Its too many team unless your in the District of Doom. 163A for the newbies to 3a. See State Champion

YTBulldogs
06-12-2012, 12:45 PM
It will pass. UIL wants the $$$$$.

Pendragon13
06-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Just my opinion, but I think it's already watered down enough..and two teams (div1, div2) would be fine. Adding a fourth will mean teams in the playoffs where the players, coaches and fans are all aware they don't belong...and it really won't benefit anyone. Aren't there some districts that only have four teams as it is?

coog4eva
06-12-2012, 01:05 PM
La Marque was the last place team one year.....and went all the way to state........

bigwood33
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
La Marque was the last place team one year.....and went all the way to state........
Thank you. I don't understand why people get worked up about how many teams make the playoffs. All this will do is eliminate the bye in 1st round 2A for district champs and make Div 1 in 3A have the same number of playoff games as Div 2. And to all of you who worry about a bad team making the playoffs, they are usually done after round 1.

ctown81
06-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Thank you. I don't understand why people get worked up about how many teams make the playoffs. All this will do is eliminate the bye in 1st round 2A for district champs and make Div 1 in 3A have the same number of playoff games as Div 2. And to all of you who worry about a bad team making the playoffs, they are usually done after round 1.

I will help you understand why I don't like it.

1) It's possible a team that wins only 2 games in the season can make the playoffs
2) That's an extra week of travel expenses in the playoffs for me
3) COME ON MAN! This is turning into little league baseball where everyone gets a trophy.

Probably not the 3 most thought out and best reason but good enough reason for me.

Phil C
06-12-2012, 01:56 PM
This is a start to just like California with a host of watered down state champions which is going to make a state championship not have the meaning it used to have. California here we come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzjKuQa03gU

Pendragon13
06-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Thank you. I don't understand why people get worked up about how many teams make the playoffs. All this will do is eliminate the bye in 1st round 2A for district champs and make Div 1 in 3A have the same number of playoff games as Div 2. And to all of you who worry about a bad team making the playoffs, they are usually done after round 1.I see what you're saying, but I think the biggest psychological issue is the sense of accomplishment for making the playoffs...and each team/coaching staff having that as a goal during two-a-days. One of the reasons that football is arguably the biggest sport in America is due to the fact that nearly every game means something (especially at the NFL/college level) and when you add the possibility of a losing record or even winless team being rewarded with a playoff game...it kinda lessens the impact a bit.

ctown81
06-12-2012, 02:13 PM

How will the UIL get more money for this?

Saggy Aggie
06-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Aren't there already some 4 teams districts?

coachc45
06-12-2012, 02:22 PM
I see what you're saying, but I think the biggest psychological issue is the sense of accomplishment for making the playoffs...and each team/coaching staff having that as a goal during two-a-days. One of the reasons that football is arguably the biggest sport in America is due to the fact that nearly every game means something (especially at the NFL/college level) and when you add the possibility of a losing record or even winless team being rewarded with a playoff game...it kinda lessens the impact a bit.

How does it water anything down?

I hear that thrown out every day and no one can explain it to me.... If you think it will make winning State easier than I could almost agree, but it doesn't make it easier it makes it more difficult for Div. I teams to win state. Now they have an extra game and wear and tear that playing causes. I don't understand the argument at all. I remember when 3 teams got in and the same uproar was heard....watered down. Then we watched 3rd place teams win state. In some districts, you are right the 4th place team has no business in the playoffs. But the opposite can be said of other districts, there are districts out there in which the 1st place team doesn't belong....never hear anything about that!

For all you guys who think it is watered down, why does it matter to you. What are you losing if one more team gets in the playoffs or not. And for you guys that say "thats extra travel on me" well I have an answer. Don't go. But I counter with this, I would give anything to watch my sons play one more game on that field, and I'd be willing to travel anywhere for that opportunity. Cry me a freaking river with all that crap. If every team made the playoffs I wouldn't mind. Just more opportunities for me to watch the greatest game in America

gtownfan
06-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Aren't there already some 4 teams districts?

Not in 3A. There are 10 5 team districts (15 if you remove the ones that play basketball only).

gtownfan
06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Not in 3A. There are 10 5 team districts (15 if you remove the ones that play basketball only).

I think it's not a matter of "if" but "when" this happens. 128 of the 183 teams (those that play football) will make the playoffs. That's 70% of the teams!

GrTigers6
06-12-2012, 02:45 PM
From our position and our district. I like the idea. That means that say Stephenville, Alvarado, GR and Venus make the playoffs. Stephenville, and alvarado will go D1 and GR and venus goes D2. That would help us smaller schools having to play schools twice our size. I think it evens the playing field a bit.

Pendragon13
06-12-2012, 03:34 PM

I hear that thrown out every day and no one can explain it to me.... If you think it will make winning State easier than I could almost agree, but it doesn't make it easier it makes it more difficult for Div. I teams to win state. Now they have an extra game and wear and tear that playing causes. I don't understand the argument at all. I remember when 3 teams got in and the same uproar was heard....watered down. Then we watched 3rd place teams win state. In some districts, you are right the 4th place team has no business in the playoffs. But the opposite can be said of other districts, there are districts out there in which the 1st place team doesn't belong....never hear anything about that!

For all you guys who think it is watered down, why does it matter to you. What are you losing if one more team gets in the playoffs or not. And for you guys that say "thats extra travel on me" well I have an answer. Don't go. But I counter with this, I would give anything to watch my sons play one more game on that field, and I'd be willing to travel anywhere for that opportunity. Cry me a freaking river with all that crap. If every team made the playoffs I wouldn't mind. Just more opportunities for me to watch the greatest game in AmericaWas my post you quoted not explanation enough? I don't think anyone is arguing that it makes the road to state any easier, and I don't think it works the other way either since one more game is the same as one less game...as long as all teams in the division play the same number. For people like me, I don't think it's so much about which teams should be there and which shouldn't...but rather knowing at the beginning of the season your team is going to have to play well and beat some people to get in. Sliding in simply because there are more spots available than good teams to fill it....well, that's a consolation prize no matter how you look at it. As far as the travel thing you mentioned, that's exactly what happens in many cases already. You have fans of one team that know they will roll in bi-district and save their travel for the next round...and fans of the team that has little chance not wasting their gas money on a season they feel is already over.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Now poor little Progreso might actually have a shot at making the playoffs.

Emerson1
06-12-2012, 05:53 PM
People cry when the season is over, yet when an extra week gets added all we hear is moaning and bitching. It doesn't diminish the championship for the team that wins it, so why do people get so butt hurt over another team being added?

Pendragon13
06-12-2012, 07:26 PM
People cry when the season is over, yet when an extra week gets added all we hear is moaning and bitching. It doesn't diminish the championship for the team that wins it, so why do people get so butt hurt over another team being added?No extra week will be added, D1 will just finish at the same time as D2. This is all about the UIL wanting the D1 state championship on the same weekend as the D2..

Gone Fishing
06-12-2012, 07:29 PM
My opinion is,its stupid. I think it should be two make it. One Big and One small. Wont happen though, get ready for four teams and the others that dont make it all get a medal.. Just like all district honors, it does not mean anything, every one makes it. Should be two at every position and no more for all district. JMO

Txbroadcaster
06-12-2012, 08:39 PM
I love it.more play off games is always awesome

Yoe_09
06-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Adding class 6A was also another topic approved: http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/06/uil-proposal-seeks-to-add-4th-playoff-te.html

I am hearing this would just make the current 5A the new 6A, all the way down to making 6-man the new 1A.

Matthew328
06-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Lets make it happen....more playoff games is good for me...

The person asking how its more $$ for the UIL the answer is the UIL gets a cut of the gate from all playoff games

bulldog82
06-12-2012, 10:24 PM
go old school............winner take all .......one per district!

Emerson1
06-12-2012, 10:44 PM
No extra week will be added, D1 will just finish at the same time as D2. This is all about the UIL wanting the D1 state championship on the same weekend as the D2..

An extra week would be added in d1. 5 to 6?

Manso/V8
06-13-2012, 02:28 AM
It seems like in most districts, there are usually 3 teams or less that really are playoff caliber teams, and 4 teams per district might take some of the sense of achievement awat from making the playoffs.

One possible positive impact of 4 teams is that it would likely reduce the wide range of school enrollment numbers in the D2 bracket.

buckeyebob
06-13-2012, 04:41 AM
Mathew hit on it...$$$$...another game.

It has been a total disrespect for Div 1...they are not part of the festivities that all other classes are privy to.

So what...everyone that makes the playoffs are not State Champ caliber...some become fodder.

Champs are like cream...it always rises to the top, regardless of the number of playoff teams.

Homerism...District 16 will produce four caliber playoff teams (6 Football State Championships in last 4 years came from District 16) in all sports, accept swimming which the Buckeyes have total domination & no one else even bothers to have someone compete...only 77 more days to kick-off.

Lion70
06-13-2012, 07:45 AM
No extra week will be added, D1 will just finish at the same time as D2. This is all about the UIL wanting the D1 state championship on the same weekend as the D2..

Why not have the D1 play D2 Champion wow what a thought lol.

rancher
06-13-2012, 07:49 AM
This is now sounding like T-Ball, every team is a winner. Why not quit keep score?? This will just give those head coaches who have poor records something to put on the resume that they made the playoffs. Go back to the way it was only one team from each district. MAN-UP.

LionFan72
06-13-2012, 08:12 AM
More money for UIL. Yes! And that is what this is all about, $$$$$$$$$$.

You can have division 1 and 2 champions, but only one State Championship, doesn't matter to me how many teams begin the journey. Play for the gold, Div. 1 Champion vs Div. 2 Champion.

Gone Fishing
06-13-2012, 08:13 AM

I like this.....

Gone Fishing
06-13-2012, 08:14 AM
More money for UIL. Yes! And that is what this is all about, $$$$$$$$$$.

You can have division 1 and 2 champions, but only one State Championship, doesn't matter to me how many teams begin the journey. Play for the gold, Div. 1 Champion vs Div. 2 Champion.

Agree again. Perfect.

Txbroadcaster
06-13-2012, 08:21 AM
they did that for Bball in 1A for a few years and the teams really were not into it and it turned out to be more like a scrimmage than a true game for the title

I will ask again...why is it so bad to have MORE play off games?

Matthew328
06-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Guys that go 2-8 and make the playoffs usually dont keep their jobs anyway....I think the real question is will UIL keep D1 and D2 in as its set up now in 1A/2A

Txbroadcaster
06-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Guys that go 2-8 and make the playoffs usually dont keep their jobs anyway....I think the real question is will UIL keep D1 and D2 in as its set up now in 1A/2A

I still say the UIL stretched the numbers in 3A to force their hand

SHSBulldog00
06-13-2012, 08:59 AM
District 24

Houston KIPP*
Houston KIPP Sunnyside
La Marque
Stafford
Sweeny
West Columbia

Houston KIPP doesn't play football and Sunnyside is in their first year of varsity football.

If the UIL goes with four playoff teams Stafford will make the playoffs. It would not be a fight for a playoff spot but one for playoff positioning.

Sville
06-13-2012, 09:40 AM
I am all for adding a 4th team. Like TXB said, how is more playoff games bad? The games still mean something b/c you are playing for playoff seeding. Your chances of advancing far and avoiding injury are better against the lesser teams early in the playoffs. The games still definitely mean something. As glen rose said it will also help with districts that have multiple 900+ enrollment teams that make the playoffs by making sure the two big schools go D1. Alvarado has just a few kids less than Sville but they will be D2 this year playing schools half their size in the playoffs.

Matthew328
06-13-2012, 09:41 AM
I would also like to see district champs have the ability to host a round 1 game

ctown81
06-13-2012, 09:48 AM
A poster on smoaky was trying to be funny with a comment by saying that everyone should make it to the playoffs and you have a playoff bracket for the top 3 teams of each district that plays for the title and a second bracket for consilation.

Heck I have no problem at all with a high school-like NIT tournament. Just keep these 2-8 and 3-7 teams out of the state tournament.

ctown81
06-13-2012, 09:54 AM
they did that for Bball in 1A for a few years and the teams really were not into it and it turned out to be more like a scrimmage than a true game for the title

I will ask again...why is it so bad to have MORE play off games?

Making the play offs in the current format still means something but four teams takes away from it. The playoffs are a reward for teams that are able to make it. Why be rewarded for 4th place in a 5 team district. It means more S2S talk but that's about it. It's more games but the quality goes down dramatically. I'm curious as to how you guys would analyze a first place gilmer going against a 2 win fourth place team in the first round of the playoffs. You guys will need a lot more f bombs to hold our attention that first week.

Txbroadcaster
06-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Making the play offs in the current format still means something but four teams takes away from it. The playoffs are a reward for teams that are able to make it. Why be rewarded for 4th place in a 5 team district. It means more S2S talk but that's about it. It's more games but the quality goes down dramatically. I'm curious as to how you guys would analyze a first place gilmer going against a 2 win fourth place team in the first round of the playoffs. You guys will need a lot more f bombs to hold our attention that first week.

prove the quality goes down...if it does then explain how 4th place teams in 5A and 4A have ben able to make deep play off runs...or even in 3A how 3rd place teams have made deep play off runs and won state.

Matthew328
06-13-2012, 10:00 AM

For just as many games where a 10-0 team plays a 2-8 team, you'll also get some pretty competitive 7-3 or 6-4 teams....this also prevents two district champs from playing in round 1 (which can happen in 3A D1)

ctown81
06-13-2012, 10:08 AM
prove the quality goes down...if it does then explain how 4th place teams in 5A and 4A have ben able to make deep play off runs...or even in 3A how 3rd place teams have made deep play off runs and won state.

I will not try to explain how 3rd place teams make deep playoff runs b/c i'm not opposed to that fromat. As for, 4A and 5A that's 4A and 5A. You know 3A football inside and out TXB, with your knowledge and your district picks, how many of the fourth place teams outside 16-3a do you see making a deep run?

TXB I will say this. If a 3rd place team with a 3 win season make it to the semis this year, I will buy you a steak dinner, hell I will even pay G2's bar tab (well i don't know about that one)

Txbroadcaster
06-13-2012, 10:11 AM
I will not try to explain how 3rd place teams make deep playoff runs b/c i'm not opposed to that fromat. As for, 4A and 5A that's 4A and 5A. You know 3A football inside and out TXB, with your knowledge and your district picks, how many of the fourth place teams outside 16-3a do you see making a deep run?

I think just as many as they do in 5A and 4A...sports is all about getting hot at the right time...just because a team is 3-7 does not tell the whole story

MustangFootball
06-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I don't like it.... It takes the excitement out of making the playoffs.

ctown81
06-13-2012, 10:21 AM
I think just as many as they do in 5A and 4A...sports is all about getting hot at the right time...just because a team is 3-7 does not tell the whole story

I agree but that's when it comes to the top teams that have injuries or other issues. I can see ti happening to a Celina, Carthage, Gilmer etc. Teams are are truly good that had things beyond their control happening. If a teams wins 2 or 3 games out of 5 in the district is that really getting hot. Not if a team goes 0-5 and goes 4-1 in district, now that's getting hot. JMO

Saggy Aggie
06-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Txb, I think people don't like it because 70% of 3a will make the playoffs. That doesn't make sense. Why not just let everyone make the playoffs then? More games right?

With 4 playoff teams, stafford could lose every district game minus the new school and make the playoffs. Are you kidding me?

Txbroadcaster
06-13-2012, 10:33 AM
I agree but that's when it comes to the top teams that have injuries or other issues. I can see ti happening to a Celina, Carthage, Gilmer etc. Teams are are truly good that had things beyond their control happening. If a teams wins 2 or 3 games out of 5 in the district is that really getting hot. Not if a team goes 0-5 and goes 4-1 in district, now that's getting hot. JMO

teams that dont belong will be taken out week one..I am just a selfish fan who wants as many play off games as possible

Pendragon13
06-13-2012, 10:49 AM
prove the quality goes down...if it does then explain how 4th place teams in 5A and 4A have ben able to make deep play off runs...or even in 3A how 3rd place teams have made deep play off runs and won state.One could argue that the quality of play will go down by adding many teams with losing records to the playoffs, but to me that isn't the biggest issue. Setting "making the playoffs" as a pre-season goal loses a little urgency when you know you might only have to be one game better than the last place team to get in.....and it still depends on school size. Having 4 teams from each district assured of a spot could mean the end of most end of season "win and in, lose and go home" dramas all across the state, not to mention the fact that players/coaches who work their butt off during the off season and keep the intensity going will notice the teams that slide in without much effort.

To be honest, I don't like the 3 team format we have now...but that's because I would rather see 2 teams per district (D1, D2) make the playoffs (quality over quantity). That way you reward efforts and also increase the chance of some great matchups between only the best teams. Not to mention lessen the chances of two state title contenders meeting in the first round, while someone else gets to play a near winless creampuff..

Oh, and have the D1 champ play the D2 champ for the overall title.:2thumbsup

Txbroadcaster
06-13-2012, 10:53 AM
One could argue that the quality of play will go down by adding many teams with losing records to the playoffs, but to me that isn't the biggest issue. Setting "making the playoffs" as a pre-season goal loses a little urgency when you know you might only have to be one game better than the last place team to get in.....and it still depends on school size. Having 4 teams from each district assured of a spot could mean the end of most end of season "win and in, lose and go home" dramas all across the state, not to mention the fact that players/coaches who work their butt off during the off season and keep the intensity going will notice the teams that slide in without much effort.

To be honest, I don't like the 3 team format we have now...but that's because I would rather see 2 teams per district (D1, D2) make the playoffs (quality over quantity). That way you reward efforts and also increase the chance of some great matchups between only the best teams. Not to mention lessen the chances of two state title contenders meeting in the first round, while someone else gets to play a near winless creampuff..

Oh, and have the D1 champ play the D2 champ for the overall title.:2thumbsup

again..they did that in bball in 1A for a few years and no one was interested in it...players simply dont care if they won their division to play another game

Old Tiger
06-13-2012, 10:55 AM
just to force 3a to go to split divisions

Saggy Aggie
06-13-2012, 10:57 AM
I'd rather have 2 playoff teams in each district than 4

ctown81
06-13-2012, 10:59 AM
again..they did that in bball in 1A for a few years and no one was interested in it...players simply dont care if they won their division to play another game

TXB, you are 100% right but that's basketball. You rarely see arguments about who was the best in 1A basketball between the two. The passion for basketball in texas small school just isn't there, but the year Carthage and Gilmer won- you think they wouldn't have played their hearts out? Football is king in texas and every year there's always a debate and you cannot tell me that both teams wouldn't put their all into it to decide who's king.

There's a reason why basketball and baseball state title games have less than 20 post on their threads.

Txbroadcaster
06-13-2012, 11:02 AM
TXB, you are 100% right but that's basketball. You rarely see arguments about who was the best in 1A basketball between the two. The passion for basketball in texas small school just isn't there, but the year Carthage and Gilmer won- you think they wouldn't have played their hearts out? Football is king in texas and every year there's always a debate and you cannot tell me that both teams wouldn't put their all into it to decide who's king.

There's a reason why basketball and baseball state title games have less than 20 post on their threads.

I see what your saying..but every coach and player I talked to dont care about that debate..only the fans do

Sville
06-13-2012, 11:06 AM

TXB I will say this. If a 3rd place team with a 3 win season make it to the semis this year, I will buy you a steak dinner, hell I will even pay G2's bar tab (well i don't know about that one)

In 2003 Sville's district foe North Crowley was the 4th place team out of 8-4A and won the state title in D1. I am pretty sure they were 4-6 going into the playoffs. They got healthy and hot 2 or 3 games into district and rattled off 9 or 10 straight wins for the SC. I think it is very conceivable for a 4th place team in 3A to make deep runs especially when you factor in the injury equation. Where a stud player is injured during district and gets healthy at playoff time.

ctown81
06-13-2012, 11:19 AM
In 2003 Sville's district foe North Crowley was the 4th place team out of 8-4A and won the state title in D1. I am pretty sure they were 4-6 going into the playoffs. They got healthy and hot 2 or 3 games into district and rattled off 9 or 10 straight wins for the SC. I think it is very conceivable for a 4th place team in 3A to make deep runs especially when you factor in the injury equation. Where a stud player is injured during district and gets healthy at playoff time.

I just think there is a bigger gap in 3A between the elite teams and the ok teams.

ctown81
06-13-2012, 11:24 AM
I see what your saying..but every coach and player I talked to dont care about that debate..only the fans do

Now that you brought that up I can definitely see why they wouldn't care as much. Of course I see the coach's reasoning and players eventhough they are bigger faster and stronger do not have the same mentality of past players when it comes to that. So I definately stand corrected on that point.

BEAST
06-13-2012, 11:36 AM

They were the 3rd place team that year. The 4 team deal wasnt in the works then. We beat them 36-6 in the first week of district play, they also lost to one other team in district, then got real hot. You know, all we needed was for the Jackets to beat them and that title would have been ours. Thanks a lot lol.

BEAST

mwynn05
06-13-2012, 11:42 AM
This thread shows how little some of you know. For one, this makes things a lot better for the other sports. Coach's hate the bye in other sports, it's stupid. Secondly, the UIL just doesn't make these decisions, the superintendents voted and approved this on their questionnaire. When most of their coach's want this (because yes there are sports besides football where this makes a lot of sense) a good supt. will vote for this.

ctown81
06-13-2012, 12:08 PM
This thread shows how little some of you know. For one, this makes things a lot better for the other sports. Coach's hate the bye in other sports, it's stupid. Secondly, the UIL just doesn't make these decisions, the superintendents voted and approved this on their questionnaire. When most of their coach's want this (because yes there are sports besides football where this makes a lot of sense) a good supt. will vote for this.

What sport does this make sense in? Sense we all know so little I'd love to hear this.

Matthew328
06-13-2012, 12:14 PM
basketball, baseball, softball for sure..coaches in those sports hate the byes

ctown81
06-13-2012, 12:57 PM
basketball, baseball, softball for sure..coaches in those sports hate the byes

Don't these sports have practice games during their bye weeks? And if so, isn't the comp a lot better in these practice games than it would be playing a fourth place team? In the 3A and 2A level for baseball and softball you rarely have a fourth place that's play off worthy. I'm really not buying this argument.

ronwx5x
06-13-2012, 12:59 PM

Anyone know how much the UIL takes on playoff games and what, if any expenses they (UIL) have? I have doubts the games are a big moneymaker but I am not in the know. High School sports, even football, don't appear to be a profit center. With attendance of 5,000, tickets @ $5, where is the money to be made? It has to cost almost that much to stage a game.

ctown81
06-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Anyone know how much the UIL takes on playoff games and what, if any expenses they (UIL) have? I have doubts the games are a big moneymaker but I am not in the know. High School sports, even football, don't appear to be a profit center. With attendance of 5,000, tickets @ $5, where is the money to be made? It has to cost almost that much to stage a game.

It's the same question i've been asking. I'm not seeing how the UIL makes a lot of money from playoff games.

Old Tiger
06-13-2012, 01:09 PM
basketball, baseball, softball for sure..coaches in those sports hate the byesfor an immature person one could see why this is a hilarious reply

Matthew328
06-13-2012, 01:34 PM
It's the same question i've been asking. I'm not seeing how the UIL makes a lot of money from playoff games.

UIL takes their cut off the top from the gate...they have no expense on a playoff game...the schools and the host site incur any possible expenses (which really aren't much) when you think about it...I dont see too many playoff sites charging 5$ either

Matthew328
06-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Don't these sports have practice games during their bye weeks? And if so, isn't the comp a lot better in these practice games than it would be playing a fourth place team? In the 3A and 2A level for baseball and softball you rarely have a fourth place that's play off worthy. I'm really not buying this argument.

They have practice games but those are necessary evils...basketball coaches I know are very squeemish about these games because its meaningless....at least the extra playoff game is for something....

In the end you won't be convinced its a good idea, just know the vast majority of coaches are for it, the vast majority of sups are for it and in the end we get to sit back and enjoy more football or whatever other sport...if the people who are directly involved support the move then its good enough for me

BEAST
06-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Im not real sure how it works but Carl Padilla just tweeted that it would give the UIL a 40% boost in playoff income.

BEAST

Matthew328
06-13-2012, 02:00 PM
UIL has zero expense on playoff games..UIL takes in a 15% cut of the gate from the top

playoff game with 5,000 fans...7$ per person=35,000$ UIL takes in 5,250$

Emerson1
06-13-2012, 02:09 PM
The UIL also foots the bill for playing Cowboys stadium right?

ctown81
06-13-2012, 02:54 PM
They have practice games but those are necessary evils...basketball coaches I know are very squeemish about these games because its meaningless....at least the extra playoff game is for something....

just know the vast majority of coaches are for it,

How do you know this? Have you talked to them, do you work for the UIL? Not trying to be confrontational. I would just like to know how you know this.

Matthew328
06-13-2012, 03:01 PM
How do you know this? Have you talked to them, do you work for the UIL? Not trying to be confrontational. I would just like to know how you know this.

I know a few coaches...

MGAR
06-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I know a few coaches...in every town in the state and parts of Canada..

Fixed it for ya.

Sville
06-13-2012, 03:27 PM

I will speak up for Stepp, He has worked for TheOldCoach.com and other websites that cover high school football for several years. Stepp has literally 100's of coaching contacts.

Ernest T Bass
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
LOL, yes, Matt knows a few coaches. And yes, coaches are in favor of this.

ctown81
06-13-2012, 04:47 PM
I will speak up for Stepp, He has worked for TheOldCoach.com and other websites that cover high school football for several years. Stepp has literally 100's of coaching contacts.

Works for me. Can't argue with that credibility.

Txbroadcaster
06-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Works for me. Can't argue with that credibility.

you can hear his expertise on our show this week

ctown81
06-13-2012, 05:08 PM
you can hear his expertise on our show this week

I was going to listen anyway lol, I still don't like the 4 team format though.

cowboyandchrist
06-13-2012, 05:55 PM

For all you guys who think it is watered down, why does it matter to you. What are you losing if one more team gets in the playoffs or not. And for you guys that say "thats extra travel on me" well I have an answer. Don't go. But I counter with this, I would give anything to watch my sons play one more game on that field, and I'd be willing to travel anywhere for that opportunity. Cry me a freaking river with all that crap. If every team made the playoffs I wouldn't mind. Just more opportunities for me to watch the greatest game in America
Why would the UIL want to throw a team in the playoffs with a 2 and 8 record to get beat 85 to 0. How does that help the team, coaches, and fans of that school. This crap about everyone gets a trophy is just that crap. The only reason that the UIL will let this happen is for the dang money, more playoff teams , more money goes to them. I would not want Carthage or Tatum in the playoffs if they only won two games.

Ernest T Bass
06-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Fans are the only ones who this bothers, and the UIL couldn't care less about them(y'all). Coaches, administrators, and players are in favor of it, and that's who the UIL supposedly serves.

mwynn05
06-13-2012, 06:21 PM
How do you know this? Have you talked to them, do you work for the UIL? Not trying to be confrontational. I would just like to know how you know this. I know because I am a coach, therefore, I know lots of other coaches. Now, to your point about the "practice games" I hate those, pointless really. Hard to get a lot out of them, you don't want to show everything you run, but you dont want to go almost 2 weeks with out playing a game. Also with the bye you are playing a team who has a playoff win and has momentum, they wont have those first playoff game jitters that can plague you. (especially with a young team) I have also seen a stat about the % of area games lost by district champions with a bye and it speaks to the stupidity of the bye. And my point abouy people showing how much they dont know has to do with the UIL doing this just to make money, if you know how these things work you wouldn't say that, but again I'm a coach, I NEVER know anything according to some

bulldog82
06-13-2012, 07:20 PM
In 02 we were the 3rd place team and ended up winning DII. other than that i think the bye week hurt us in the 08 ,09 years. and i think stats had shown that most teams that had a first round bye lost in second round.

Gone Fishing
06-13-2012, 08:59 PM
In 02 we were the 3rd place team and ended up winning DII. other than that i think the bye week hurt us in the 08 ,09 years. and i think stats had shown that most teams that had a first round bye lost in second round.

Are you sure bd?

mwynn05
06-13-2012, 09:38 PM
and i think stats had shown that most teams that had a first round bye lost in second round.thats what ive seen, thats why we wanted to get rid of the bye

bulldog82
06-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Are you sure bd?

Not 100% but i recall when we lost 2rd noticed alot of other teams coming off bye lost too

cowboyandchrist
06-13-2012, 10:20 PM
I know because I am a coach, therefore, I know lots of other coaches. Now, to your point about the "practice games" I hate those, pointless really. Hard to get a lot out of them, you don't want to show everything you run, but you dont want to go almost 2 weeks with out playing a game. Also with the bye you are playing a team who has a playoff win and has momentum, they wont have those first playoff game jitters that can plague you. (especially with a young team) I have also seen a stat about the % of area games lost by district champions with a bye and it speaks to the stupidity of the bye. And my point abouy people showing how much they dont know has to do with the UIL doing this just to make money, if you know how these things work you wouldn't say that, but again I'm a coach, I NEVER know anything according to some
So are you saying you don't mind getting beat by 70 or 80 points coach. How does that help the kids and with the way school boards are about getting rid of a coach who does not win. I would not want to face the powers to be with 80 to 0 on my shoulders. Just saying, in most cases the fourth place team will get taken to the wood shed. Case in point. A few years ago Carthage had Tatum 65 to 0 at half time in the first playoff game of 2008.

bulldog82
06-13-2012, 10:25 PM
So are you saying you don't mind getting beat by 70 or 80 points coach. How does that help the kids and with the way school boards are about getting rid of a coach who does not win. I would not want to face the powers to be with 80 to 0 on my shoulders. Just saying, in most cases the fourth place team will get taken to the wood shed. Case in point. A few years ago Carthage had Tatum 65 to 0 at half time in the first playoff game of 2008.

Any coach running up a score like that in round 1 must not want to make a deep run by taking a chance of injuries to get the score that high by half or even a full game.

Tejastrue
06-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Would not the 4th place teams be matched up with other 4th place teams in the 1st rd..or will they just be lined up for slaughter. I will say that our 4th place team last year would have given many teams that made the playoffs a serious arse whoopin. (Canyon Lake 8-2)

bulldog82
06-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Would not the 4th place teams be matched up with other 4th place teams in the 1st rd..or will they just be lined up for slaughter. I will say that our 4th place team last year would have given many teams that made the playoffs a serious arse whoopin. (Canyon Lake 8-2)

True Dat!

Lion70
06-14-2012, 01:49 AM
Any coach running up a score like that in round 1 must not want to make a deep run by taking a chance of injuries to get the score that high by half or even a full game.

Refugio???

Lion70
06-14-2012, 01:51 AM
True Dat!

A 4th place team a few years ago made it too the quarters in 5A just saying.

mwynn05
06-14-2012, 10:37 AM
So are you saying you don't mind getting beat by 70 or 80 points coach. How does that help the kids and with the way school boards are about getting rid of a coach who does not win. I would not want to face the powers to be with 80 to 0 on my shoulders. Just saying, in most cases the fourth place team will get taken to the wood shed. Case in point. A few years ago Carthage had Tatum 65 to 0 at half time in the first playoff game of 2008. If Im that bad its ive probably already gotten hammered earlier in the season... Its either 2 teams or 4 teams, 3 is just stupid and there isnt a chance of going for 2, not enough coaches would want it and the supts def. wouldnt... There will be 2 or 3 fourth place teams that win a game or two, plus we all know some districts are really weak others are really strong, but geography is the only feasible way to break up distircts, this kind of compensates for that a little bit (a stretch i know)

Roughneck93
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Well at least the sub-committee rejected te idea of bowling becoming a UIL sport. Would rather see more football games/coverage than bowling....

mwynn05
06-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Well at least the sub-committee rejected te idea of bowling becoming a UIL sport. Would rather see more football games/coverage than bowling.... A lot of schools already have it actually

Roughneck93
06-14-2012, 12:00 PM
A lot of schools already have it actually

True. Should stay as a club activity though.

Ville-D
06-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Well at least the sub-committee rejected te idea of bowling becoming a UIL sport. Would rather see more football games/coverage than bowling....

I'm just wondering when they will be reviewing the idea of UIL Bass Tournaments

regaleagle
06-14-2012, 05:21 PM
IMO, this move will make a significant difference to the playoff landscape in 3A. It will allow a team like Argyle, who has an enrollment of about 650, to some years be in Division II, with two other larger schools in our 5-team district. In other years, we will be a Division I playoff team when only one of the two larger schools qualifies. This is an improvement over making Argyle go DI year in and year out with only having one team going DI and two teams going DII. Just an example, but it does change the playoff landscape for the whole classification. Some years, Stephenville will not have to worry about the likes of an Argyle, ha ha!!

defense51
07-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Make it four teams and let's run with it, more football can't be a bad thing. And it puts the DI game on the same day as the others.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Port Isabel is starting up a fishing team. :)

Ville-D
07-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Port Isabel is starting up a fishing team. :)

Fresh water or salt water?

Manso/V8
07-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Some years, Stephenville will not have to worry about the likes of an Argyle, ha ha!!

Stephenville may be dropping to 2A within the next couple of realignments.
The move will allow them to stay competitive in all sports.

piratebg
07-12-2012, 10:19 AM
I have been waiting for soccer in 3A but that still hasn't happened. That's part of the reason me and my family have moved to Portland.

defense51
07-12-2012, 10:54 AM
I have been waiting for soccer in 3A but that still hasn't happened. That's part of the reason me and my family have moved to Portland. Just not enough 3A schools with a soccer program to have our own classification. I don't know how it is everywhere else, but our school probably loses money on our soccer games with only 20-25 people in the stands.

YTBulldogs
07-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Just not enough 3A schools with a soccer program to have our own classification. I don't know how it is everywhere else, but our school probably loses money on our soccer games with only 20-25 people in the stands.

It would do better than what you draw (crowd wise) at a tennis match or golf tournament. Matter of time, it will be in all schools IMO. Sooner in my area (South Texas) than other part's of state. Once again, like most sports, football will cover the expense of this sport. 5-10 years from now (if not sooner), futbol will be hugh IMO.