PDA

View Full Version : Hexpad Protection Gear

Cam
06-08-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm all for padding up my kid if it means more protection. But I sometimes wonder if this technology really helps that much. One thing for sure, it's expensive!
What do ya'll think? Here's one top I'm thinking of getting my 7th grader. If you got any better ideas, let's hear em'. I know McDavid started this hexpad stuff and now everyone is coming out with their own. I told my kid I could probably spray some of that insulation foam under his jersey, let it expand, and bingo, he's padded!!

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/boys-mpz-5-pad-impact-football-shirt/pid1229527-100

Old Tiger
06-08-2012, 12:33 PM
I have a question about theses

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/boys-mpz-5-pad-armour-girdle/pid1229558-100

If you have that do you have to wear thigh, hip, and butt pad?

bigwood33
06-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm all for padding up my kid if it means more protection. But I sometimes wonder if this technology really helps that much. One thing for sure, it's expensive!
What do ya'll think? Here's one top I'm thinking of getting my 7th grader. If you got any better ideas, let's hear em'. I know McDavid started this hexpad stuff and now everyone is coming out with their own. I told my kid I could probably spray some of that insulation foam under his jersey, let it expand, and bingo, he's padded!!
Cam, I think there may be something to this technology but I couldn't get my son to wear it. I bought him 2 different style shirts and he gave them both away...said they were too hot.

OT, this would replace hip and thigh pads, most of the time. I have seen a lot of kids use girdles with this type of technology but we encouraged QB's, RB's, and LBer's, to wear traditional pads.

orange machine
06-08-2012, 03:57 PM
I wouldnt want to wear all the garbage just regular pads would be good with me.

bigwood33
06-08-2012, 04:13 PM
I wouldnt want to wear all the garbage just regular pads would be good with me.
I imagine that if kids start wearing them when they are young, they will like them.

orange machine
06-08-2012, 07:12 PM
I imagine that if kids start wearing them when they are young, they will like them.

Yeah probably!

Gone Fishing
06-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't know.... but some kids look like the Mitchelen Man when they play... and generally they are slower players. I personally think regular pads are good with a few new stuff thrown in, but really , some of the extra stuff (to the max) is for the soccer moms....

Rabid Cougar
06-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I have a question about theses

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/boys-mpz-5-pad-armour-girdle/pid1229558-100

No. Most college players now wear girdles like that for the hip and butt pad. Thigh pad is traditional type but in the girdle, not the pants. Same for high school.

In regards to the initial question, I wouldn't go beyond the required padding. I have had lots of peewee kids start out with high dollar stuff and by the end of the season they are down to the basics for the same reason mentioned above, too hot and too restrictive. Also agree about the soccer mom statement.

defense51
07-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Shockdoctor makes some good products we've tried, overall my son likes the Nike girdle with the built in thigh pads best. The coaches told the team it's UIL rules that the hip and tail pad have to be showing, so if the built in pads aren't visible they have to wear the traditional pads also.

Gone Fishing
07-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Cam, I think there may be something to this technology but I couldn't get my son to wear it. I bought him 2 different style shirts and he gave them both away...said they were too hot.

OT, this would replace hip and thigh pads, most of the time. I have seen a lot of kids use girdles with this type of technology but we encouraged QB's, RB's, and LBer's, to wear traditional pads.

+1 I agree