PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma city thunder

Saggy Aggie
06-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Do you think this is the beginning of a dynasty?

I was telling my roommate on Monday that if the thunder won that night, that would be the turning point and this year would be the first of several championships.

Their big 3 are obviously great, but Serge Ibaka is a monster defensively along with Sefalosha, 2 more young guys.

They've got some of the best fans in the NBA and a bonafide superstar for years to come.

IMO, they're primed to be on top for a while.

I didn't think they'd get by SA this year, but they proved me wrong (I know it's not over, but I think it will be tonight). I think it's their time. Do you guys agree?

Emerson1
06-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Depends on if they can resign Westbrook. He will get a max deal. I'm to lazy to see if they have any exceptions they could use since that would put them over the cap.

Saggy Aggie
06-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Anyone?

Phil C
06-06-2012, 10:41 PM
They have the potential. They still have to either beat the Heat or the Celtics which they should. The difference is Kevin Durant who they will keep at all costs because he is great and makes other players better. It will depend on if they can keep the supporting player because other teams will try to get their free agents. Remember NBA wants winning teams to be big market teams and they will try to destroy teams like they did to the Spurs in the last decade. Time will tell. To have a dynasty takes more than one year or even two straight years. But you get three straight years then you have one or even if you can get 3 out of 4. A lot riding is on how the tv ratings are in the final series. We will see.

TheDOCTORdre
06-06-2012, 10:41 PM
actually I heard that there is a possibility that OKC could work something with Boston, Westbrook for Rondo, giving the Thunder the ability and cap space to lock up other players like Harden and Ibaka

Phil C
06-06-2012, 10:51 PM
actually I heard that there is a possibility that OKC could work something with Boston, Westbrook for Rondo, giving the Thunder the ability and cap space to lock up other players like Harden and Ibaka

Probably Lebron would like to go there now just to get the ring. I don't think Boston would trade Rondo for Westbrook. That would not be a cool move.

Another factor for dynasty is you have to be lucky. Two critical injuries to two main players can be a disaster.

Saggy Aggie
06-06-2012, 11:18 PM
actually I heard that there is a possibility that OKC could work something with Boston, Westbrook for Rondo, giving the Thunder the ability and cap space to lock up other players like Harden and Ibaka rondo is way better than Westbrook anyways. The thunder would be crazy good

Farmersfan
06-07-2012, 06:10 AM
I think the day of the real dynasty is in our past. All the free agency rules and salary cap rules will make it very, very unlikely for a team to dominate for any extended length of time. All those support guys for OKC will now expect their own max deal and move on. Durant, Westbrook and Hardin are great players but let's not pretend they were the main reason the Thunder won this series. In my opinion the Thunder will become really, really dangerous if they can keep this group together and they ever learn to play smart BB. The stupid but big time shots fell for OKC in the closing minutes in this series. They didn't against the Mavs last year and we know the results.....

YTBulldogs
06-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Ok City, sweet team, earned this series win and IMO, did it in style and class. Just as SA has been. Yes, Ok City will be a solid team for years to come. Ownership seems willing to do what it has to do to get their fine city with a winning product on the court. Hat's off to the young coach, who--counter the wits of the games best coach, Pop.

Hope they win it all over the big wig hot dogs the East will put on the court?

Farmersfan
06-07-2012, 08:43 AM
I think if the Thunder play the Celtics it will likely be a sweep. If you think the big 3 for the Spurs are old just take a look at those big 3 Celtics. But if the Thunder plays the Heat in the finals then I think it takes the Thunder 6 games to win it. In either case I think the Thunder get their first Championship and Lebron James goes home frusterated again. I also think some major changes will be made in Heat-Land if the Heat don't win the Title this season.................... So long Miami domination in the East!

Phil C
06-07-2012, 01:54 PM
There is now Thunder in the Sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT8PwmYOb-0

Maroon87
06-07-2012, 07:27 PM
The one guy that concerns me about OKC is Westbrook. You never know what you're going to get with him. He had a hard enough time with Parker that the Thunder started using Sefolosha on him. If Boston wins I'd look for that to happen again because Rondo present an even bigger challenge.

Saggy Aggie
06-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Can anyone on Boston gaurd durant?

I think Miami could put either Lebron or barrier on durant.

I just don't see either of these teams winning more than 2 against okc.

TheDOCTORdre
06-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Durant, Westbrook and Hardin are great players but let's not pretend they were the main reason the Thunder won this series.

and what was the main reason the Thunder won the series?

big daddy russ
06-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Turnovers.

MGAR
06-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Turnovers.

Caused by?

99IHSMustang
06-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Caused by?

Many of those were rushing the pass and not taking care of the ball. I will not descredit OKC though. Anyone that can shoot as well as they did in the final 2 qtrs of those last couple of games deserved to go on. Durant was rediculously good.

Farmersfan
06-08-2012, 01:39 PM

The support players. The big 3 for the Spurs basically played even with the big 3 for the Thunder. It was the rest of the starters and the bench for OKC that out performed the Spurs bench. Not just in points scored but in defense and transition game. The "youth" for the Thunder was a handicap in my opinion. Even though Westbrook really isn't a rookie he certainly plays like one about 75% of the time. Anytime he gets into the mode of getting others involved in the game the Thunder become unbeatable. But Westbrook seems to be more interested in doing it all himself far too often. And the Spurs went into lulls at times but that could have been the result of OKC defensive pressure........

Farmersfan
06-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Many of those were rushing the pass and not taking care of the ball. I will not descredit OKC though. Anyone that can shoot as well as they did in the final 2 qtrs of those last couple of games deserved to go on. Durant was rediculously good.

The question is if OKC has run it's luck bucket dry for the next series? They were launching 3 pt shots at crunch time with half the shot clock left and trying to nurse a small lead. Last year against Dallas those shots didn't fall and they lost the series and everyone was talking about their youth and inexperience. They did the exact same thing against the Spur except the shots fell for them. Success or failure dictates whether they are seen as "clutch" or "young". Westbrook doesn't appear to have matured in the least and still plays with a very low basketball IQ. I would love to see Lebron James get close again just to have it pulled out of his reach........

eagles_victory
06-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Westbrook has come along way people forget he kept them afloat in the Dallas series in the first two games at home when Marion did a good job on KD. If Westbrook doesnt play as well as he did they may lose those two games at home to Dallas then where are they now. No knock on SA they just lost to a very good team. OKC played at such a high level not much the Spurs could do.

eagles_victory
06-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Contract wise Westbrook signed a 5 year extension in Feb and the Rondo thing was talked about before this past season Boston offered and OKC rejected. Some sources say it is still possible but Rondo has made himself a home in Boston for a while in these playoffs no way I see Boston parting with him now. Rondo isn't the best or even a good locker room guy so I don't know how well he fits the OKC culture either.

Yes they are young and yes they have looked good but keep in mind they have beaten 3 old legged teams with this condensed schedule making it tougher for those teams. Durant is great and 23 but IMO as good as he is his ceiling isn't a whole lot higher. I hope Im wrong I love Durant but I just don't see how he is going to take his game to much higher levels then he is already at (I get he is already a top 2 guy in the league) . If i had to predict I would say the most championships I see Durant getting is 3. I just don't look at this team in the way Im sure people looked at the 91 Bulls. I hear those comparisons but I just don't see a team quite to that level.

Farmersfan
06-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Contract wise Westbrook signed a 5 year extension in Feb and the Rondo thing was talked about before this past season Boston offered and OKC rejected. Some sources say it is still possible but Rondo has made himself a home in Boston for a while in these playoffs no way I see Boston parting with him now. Rondo isn't the best or even a good locker room guy so I don't know how well he fits the OKC culture either.

Yes they are young and yes they have looked good but keep in mind they have beaten 3 old legged teams with this condensed schedule making it tougher for those teams. Durant is great and 23 but IMO as good as he is his ceiling isn't a whole lot higher. I hope Im wrong I love Durant but I just don't see how he is going to take his game to much higher levels then he is already at (I get he is already a top 2 guy in the league) . If i had to predict I would say the most championships I see Durant getting is 3. I just don't look at this team in the way Im sure people looked at the 91 Bulls. I hear those comparisons but I just don't see a team quite to that level.

I agree! Nowhere near the leadership on this Thunder team that the Bulls had. I think these Thunder players kind of "tolerate" each other. Finally getting that ring might just cause some people to speak up. If I were Durant and worked my butt off to get a big lead for the team and Westbrook started pulling his dribble the length of the court and driving into the teeth of all the big boys I would throw a bitch fit! Seems to me Hardin and Westbrook really haven't learned who the top dog is in OKC.................

99IHSMustang
06-08-2012, 03:20 PM
The question is if OKC has run it's luck bucket dry for the next series? They were launching 3 pt shots at crunch time with half the shot clock left and trying to nurse a small lead. Last year against Dallas those shots didn't fall and they lost the series and everyone was talking about their youth and inexperience. They did the exact same thing against the Spur except the shots fell for them. Success or failure dictates whether they are seen as "clutch" or "young". Westbrook doesn't appear to have matured in the least and still plays with a very low basketball IQ. I would love to see Lebron James get close again just to have it pulled out of his reach........

Westbrook was contained for most of the series with the Spurs. I think that containment allowed other players from OKC to get open looks. Players like Westbrook still draw that attention because of their quickness. Yes the shots for OKC fell at all the right times.

Saggy Aggie
06-08-2012, 03:34 PM
EV, you make it sound like OKC had an easy run. Lol, they just stomped a team that had dominated the entire league for 20 straight games.

And Durants ceiling doesn't get much higher???? What the else do you want? he doesn't need to get any better. He just won the scoring title for christs sake at age TWENTY THREE.

big daddy russ
06-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Caused by?

Hesitation. Poor decision-making. Too many isos against a better team. Locking in on the first outlet of a set play and failing to see the floor. Forgetting that their game is predicated on swinging the ball until they find the man with a high percentage shot.

To the original poster: I see the HEAT/OKC as potential dynasty-type rivals similar to the Lakers/Celtics of the 80's. That is, if the HEAT aren't foolish enough to blow up the team if they don't win a title. That seems to be the flavor of the day in talkradioland.

big daddy russ
06-08-2012, 04:27 PM
EV, you make it sound like OKC had an easy run. Lol, they just stomped a team that had dominated the entire league for 20 straight games.

And Durants ceiling doesn't get much higher???? What the else do you want? he doesn't need to get any better. He just won the scoring title for christs sake at age TWENTY THREE.This. Durant doesn't even have a complete offensive game yet and he has three scoring titles already. Remember when Kevin Garnett was a lanky SF too thin to bang in the post? Durant's better. Different game, but still better.

SintonFan
06-08-2012, 06:15 PM
This. Durant doesn't even have a complete offensive game yet and he has three scoring titles already. Remember when Kevin Garnett was a lanky SF too thin to bang in the post? Durant's better. Different game, but still better.

Hesitation. Poor decision-making. Too many isos against a better team. Locking in on the first outlet of a set play and failing to see the floor. Forgetting that their game is predicated on swinging the ball until they find the man with a high percentage shot.

To the original poster: I see the HEAT/OKC as potential dynasty-type rivals similar to the Lakers/Celtics of the 80's. That is, if the HEAT aren't foolish enough to blow up the team if they don't win a title. That seems to be the flavor of the day in talkradioland.

Very good points!

Also, I think the short condensed season plays AGAINST teams with older players. Remember that San Antonio won their first title with young players in a short season. This last point wasn't for you, but food for thought to everyone in general.

eagles_victory
06-09-2012, 02:08 AM

And Durants ceiling doesn't get much higher???? What the else do you want? he doesn't need to get any better. He just won the scoring title for christs sake at age TWENTY THREE. Easy? No I think Dallas was the toughest first round draw they could of gotten, but as far as what I was trying to say the NBA playoffs are all about match ups anyone would agree to that. Maybe I overstated the point, but imo avoiding the Grizzlies and Clippers was a big plus for the Thunder in the second round (I would even venture to say Denver would of been tougher for them) than the Lakers a team with a lot of holes. OKC has really done a great job of exploiting the weaknesses of the opponents they have faced.

As far as KD's ceiling I agree he already is great. I was more speaking to the point of what I have been reading on twitter of how he is 23 and the average NBA player hits their prime from 26-31 and how I think KD is in his prime now versus going to hit his prime during that time.

eagles_victory
06-09-2012, 02:21 AM
To the original poster: I see the HEAT/OKC as potential dynasty-type rivals similar to the Lakers/Celtics of the 80's. That is, if the HEAT aren't foolish enough to blow up the team if they don't win a title. That seems to be the flavor of the day in talkradioland. Tough call here. After having watched most Heat games the last 2 years it is really hard to see them around for 4 or 5 years. Wade is an old 30 and his body has broken down on him a lot the last 2 years and has had 2 pretty inconsistent postseasons the last two years. (People forget after the Lebron finals meltdown how bad Wade was versus Chicago)

They must add younger more diverse role players. Battier Miller Anthony are all so one dimensional it makes it hard for them to be a complete team. Lastly I don't know how long we will see Lebron in the Miami uniform. Some issues with Riley and some front office people have been reported. Lebron is a guy who likes his entourage and having free reign over the organization and that hasn't really mixed well with how Pat Riley does things. I wouldn't be shocked if we see Lebron opt out when he gets the chance in 2 years I believe.

But to the main point with Wade on the down side of his career as a consistent top flight player and the role players not being real strong Miami may look a lot like Cleveland did the next couple years with Lebron and not much else.

regaleagle
06-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Guess what...when you can beat the Spurs, you're good! Just ask the Mavs. Even with their key players aging, the Spurs are still a more complete team than the Mavs. And typicallly, the Western Conference Champ is in the Finals. Just getting there is very, very tough. I don't look for the Thunder to "roll" anybody in the finals. It will be a tough series for them to win it all, just like it was for the Mavs last year. I don't underestimate the talent of Miami to somehow find a "will to win" this year. I think if the Thunder plays Miami, it will be a knock-down, drag-out seven gamer.

big daddy russ
06-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Tough call here. After having watched most Heat games the last 2 years it is really hard to see them around for 4 or 5 years. Wade is an old 30 and his body has broken down on him a lot the last 2 years and has had 2 pretty inconsistent postseasons the last two years. (People forget after the Lebron finals meltdown how bad Wade was versus Chicago)

They must add younger more diverse role players. Battier Miller Anthony are all so one dimensional it makes it hard for them to be a complete team. Lastly I don't know how long we will see Lebron in the Miami uniform. Some issues with Riley and some front office people have been reported. Lebron is a guy who likes his entourage and having free reign over the organization and that hasn't really mixed well with how Pat Riley does things. I wouldn't be shocked if we see Lebron opt out when he gets the chance in 2 years I believe.

But to the main point with Wade on the down side of his career as a consistent top flight player and the role players not being real strong Miami may look a lot like Cleveland did the next couple years with Lebron and not much else.
I didn't get to watch much hoops this year, so you have a better handle on that than I do, but Wade's always been a streaky guy. The '06 Finals just happened to come in the middle of one of his hot streaks. After Shaq left, he was simply the best scorer on a weak team.

Most guards can be effective well into their 30's, and I'm hoping we can see Wade do that. However, a lot of that is because they begin to extend their range as their athleticism begins to fade, opening up opportunities from other spots on the floor.

Bosh is only 28 and (if he can stay healthy) still has a full three years left in his prime. Lebron's the type of player that will be dominant into his mid-30's. Wade can provide spot scoring as he fades into the twilight of his career. I could see D-Wade struggling with staying healthy. He has a pretty physical game, but their biggest weakness is ball movement in half court sets. That's something that will improve with time. Or when they get a point guard not named Chalmers. That guy needs to be a sixth man.