PDA

View Full Version : Two Way Starters

CTS
06-06-2012, 06:26 AM
I was asked this yesterday and I had no idea so I figured I'd ask the "experienced" 3A folks :)

How many 2 way starters do most 3A squads have? Does anyone platoon with 11 one way starters on offense/defense? La Marque has zero 2 way starters. Every kid plays on either offense or defense at the varsity level. The person I was talking to said that wasn't the norm but I would guess some of the bigger 3A schools or 4A's dropping down would strictly platoon if they have the numbers in the program.

YTBulldogs
06-06-2012, 06:33 AM
For sure, the most successful 3A programs have limited players going both ways. But, I'd say most 3A schools have a couple going both ways.

GrTigers6
06-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Last year we had 8 players that played both ways, however very limited playing time. we had maybe one or two that played all offense and half of the defense. Most would play their specific position for most of the plays and then 15-20 plays on the other side of the ball. But then again we are a very small 3A.

gatordaze
06-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Last year we had 8 players that played both ways, however very limited playing time. we had maybe one or two that played all offense and half of the defense. Most would play their specific position for most of the plays and then 15-20 plays on the other side of the ball. But then again we are a very small 3A.

Celina had 2 last season averaging over 100 plays per game. Others may play both ways situationally. Tough to maintain weight playing both ways!

Rabid Cougar
06-06-2012, 09:10 AM
I would say that every coach wants to start out that way but eventually faces reality. In the teams China Spring haas faced in the past years there are generally two to three players on the opponents side that go both ways or plays a signifianct amount of time doing so. This includes even the large 3A schools like Gatesville, Wylie and Brownwood. On my oldest boy's teams 06-08, there were players that never came off the field even with 53 players on the team. Quiet a few on his college team mates also played both ways coming off of 4A and 5A teams. I also noticed that when watching the State Championship Games on TV last season. Coaches in general will play thier best players regardless of classifications.

Saggy Aggie
06-06-2012, 09:23 AM
WC platoons players on offense (specifically RB and WR) because they almost all start on defense.

WC has about 3-4 guys that will get significant PT on both sides of the ball.

Treylon Johnican last year was our QB, some WR when the other QB was in, starting CB, K, P, PR, and sometimes KR. Kid basically never came off the field.

As an example, he caught a 70+ yd TD pass against Chapel Hill and that's his 'last' position

Roughneck93
06-06-2012, 10:36 AM
WC platoons players on offense (specifically RB and WR) because they almost all start on defense. WC has about 3-4 guys that will get significant PT on both sides of the ball. Treylon Johnican last year was our QB, some WR when the other QB was in, starting CB, K, P, PR, and sometimes KR. Kid basically never came off the field. As an example, he caught a 70+ yd TD pass against Chapel Hill and that's his 'last' positionHe will be missed....

FB-fanatic
06-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Lorena is a small 3A with @500 students. The past 3 years, we have had zero 2-way starters, and have made fairly deep state playoff runs. The one exception that comes to mind was 3 years ago Coldspring-Oakhurst, in a very tight playoff game, 3 quality offensive players were sent in on defense in the last two critical defensive stands. One of the linemen is now playing with UMHB and a back, the Centex Player of the Year, is also now woth UMHB.

bigwood33
06-06-2012, 11:05 AM
I hear that after the championship game, in which a few Wimberley players played both ways quite a bit, that even Argyle is going to play some of their better players both ways some. We had 3 kids that were All District both ways last year but we are dropping to 2A where almost everyone will have some responsibilities on both offense and defense...just due to numbers.

FB-fanatic
06-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Lorena is a small 3A with @500 students. The past 3 years, we have had zero 2-way starters, and have made fairly deep state playoff runs. The one exception that comes to mind was 3 years ago Coldspring-Oakhurst, in a very tight playoff game, 3 quality offensive players were sent in on defense in the last two critical defensive stands. One of the linemen is now playing with UMHB and a back, the Centex Player of the Year, is also now woth UMHB.

That should read "against Coldspring" above.....

LH Panther Mom
06-06-2012, 06:39 PM
We have few, if any, two way starters. We do have kids that may play both ways, but for many positions, our 1st team O is 2nd team D & vice versa, so it's normally as a backup. Now...if there's an injury, all bets may be off. And there is occasionally an exception to that...

oldtownag
06-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Carthage plays the top players both ways but only occasionally. For example, a starting DB may play some critical plays at WR. Another might be a starting DL might come in and play OL in "JUMBO" package.

Ville-D
06-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Carthage plays the top players both ways but only occasionally. For example, a starting DB may play some critical plays at WR. Another might be a starting DL might come in and play OL in "JUMBO" package.

Same in Stephenville.

Manso/V8
06-07-2012, 01:15 AM
I hear that after the championship game, in which a few Wimberley players played both ways quite a bit, that even Argyle is going to play some of their better players both ways some. We had 3 kids that were All District both ways last year but we are dropping to 2A where almost everyone will have some responsibilities on both offense and defense...just due to numbers.

Last year, I think we had one kid go both ways LB/OG until one of the younger kids learned the OG position well, other than that, on occasion one or two of our bigger O lineman would rotate in on defense for short yardage 3rd down or goal line situations. Some starters got some reps on the other side of the ball when the second team was playing.

If having some key kids start both ways helps you win, then go ahead. This ain't Little League. It is probably better for team morale with 22 starters, but if it works as well as it did for Wimberley, I'm sure a SC is a better for team morale than 22 starters........plus their non-starters seemed to get plenty of playing time throughout the year.