PDA

View Full Version : Argyle's Aune Drafted

bigwood33
06-05-2012, 01:27 PM
By the Yankees in the 2nd round. He was the 89th overall selection.
Congrats Austin!

Tejastrue
06-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Congrats to Aune :clap: ...where you at Regal??

Manso/V8
06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Congrats to Austin. I gather he plans to play football at TCU. Any chance he could play baseball as well, or is that just about impossible from a time standpoint at a big D1 football school?

How does the baseball draft work? How long do they Yankees retain the rights to sign him?
If he doesn't play college baseball, can he play some in summer leagues without impacting his football eligibility?

bigwood33
06-05-2012, 02:55 PM
When he committed to TCU for football, they told him that he would be able to play baseball too. My guess is he will never attend TCU. As a 2nd round pick, I would think that he would command a pretty fat contract and just head off to rookie ball.

gatordaze
06-05-2012, 03:31 PM
When he committed to TCU for football, they told him that he would be able to play baseball too. My guess is he will never attend TCU. As a 2nd round pick, I would think that he would command a pretty fat contract and just head off to rookie ball.

The 89th player in 2011 received a signing bonus of $392K. First year players get 1100/mo salary and $18 day for meals.

Surely TCU pays at least that much and all the pot that you can smoke!

Saggy Aggie
06-05-2012, 03:35 PM
I believe they have until July 13th to sign him.

And, he should make somewhere around a half mil right?

YTBulldogs
06-05-2012, 03:40 PM

Being the "deep pocket" Yanks that drafted him that high, I'd be shocked if he didn't go play baseball and make good money signing.

bigwood33
06-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Surely TCU pays at least that much and all the pot that you can smoke!
They are trying to cut down on that...as far as we know ;)

YTBulldogs
06-05-2012, 04:00 PM
They are trying to cut down on that...as far as we know ;)

The money or the pot part BW33?

ctown81
06-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Being the "deep pocket" Yanks that drafted him that high, I'd be shocked if he didn't go play baseball and make good money signing.

First off Congrats to Austin. As for whether he will go pro or not. I know Phillip Humber of Carthage was drafted by the Yanks. Not sure what pick he was but he chose to play at Rice and ended up being the 3rd overall pick in the draft when he came out.

gatordaze
06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
First off Congrats to Austin. As for whether he will go pro or not. I know Phillip Humber of Carthage was drafted by the Yanks. Not sure what pick he was but he chose to play at Rice and ended up being the 3rd overall pick in the draft when he came out.

He accepted the offer and is moving out of the dorms...

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/20120605-argyle-s-austin-aune-taken-by-new-york-yankees.ece

YTBulldogs
06-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Kinda expected the Yanks to make a solid offer, one he couldn't refuse, with him being selected in the second round. Good for him and his family and best of luck playing baseball.

bigwood33
06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
The money or the pot part BW33?
Pot, I think. I don't remember them being in trouble for paying players since Wacker made the mistake of self reporting...the NCAA hammered them even though they were trying to clean up their mess.

Roughneck93
06-05-2012, 05:57 PM
By the Yankees in the 2nd round. He was the 89th overall selection.
Congrats Austin!

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/20120605-argyle-s-austin-aune-taken-by-new-york-yankees.ece

Awesome! Congrats to Austin!

Gone Fishing
06-05-2012, 08:11 PM

Well yes!! Football don't matter. Ill quote Jeff Ward, You only need to make a a couple million ONE TIME !! Congrats to him and his family. What a ride that must be.

Gone Fishing
06-05-2012, 08:13 PM
being the "deep pocket" yanks that drafted him that high, i'd be shocked if he didn't go play baseball and make good money signing.

yup , yt....

Gone Fishing
06-05-2012, 08:19 PM

Thats amazing. so proud of this guy and I dont' even know him, but I did see him battle sickness at the state game and what players told me later, is that he was the "real deal".

Looking4number8
06-05-2012, 08:39 PM
I just this on facebook (his aunt posted the story) I did not realize his mother graduated from Brownwood with me in 1979. His grandparents still live in the same house I think. Very good family! Congrats to the young man and the whole family.....

Rabid Cougar
06-06-2012, 09:12 AM
That's cool!

firstdown
06-06-2012, 10:19 AM
here's the full article:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/high-schools/high-schools-headlines/20120606-baseball-yankees-take-argyles-aune-in-second-round-of-draft.ece

Great athlete Great kid

Saggy Aggie
06-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Aune hit .447 with 8 HRs and 41 rbis.

What kinda stats do you have to put up in HS to get drafted?

WC's Treylon Johnican hit .393 with 3 HRs and 18 rbis and had a bunch of stolen bases.

Patrick Cato hit .430 with 1 HR and 20 something rbis.

Now I know neither of these compare to Aunes numbers, but he was a 2nd round pick. I doubt either of these kids will get picked but I mean I'm just wondering what kinda numbers they have to have to get drafted at all.

I know Johnican is heading off to play football and baseball but I can't remember where

bobcat1
06-07-2012, 05:56 AM
That's awesome. Congrats!

LionFan72
06-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Congrats Austin, major accomplishment!! Fine family, baseball is not nearly as hard on the knees or body! Good luck, not a Stankee Yankee fan, but sure be pulling for you unless you face the Rangers!

ogg
06-07-2012, 03:31 PM
A total dream Austin. Live in New York, Loved by New Yorkers cause you're a Yankee (well most of them will love ya), play baseball. Congrates!

regaleagle
06-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Regal is here and cheering Mr. Aune's accolades to the inth degree, for heaven's sakes. We all knew this was a special young man that had a huge upside for those Major League scouts at his doorstep every week, but 89th overall with the Yankees is just absolutely out of this world wonderful. Gary Patterson knew he needed to get two quality qbs for this class, and when the phone rang while Austin was there at TCU summer practice, it was not surprising to Patterson. I guess in that situation all you can do is wish Aune the very best knowing his first love and high upside was mucho potential as a five-tool MLB prospect. I'm sure his slotted 548K signing was actually higher, with what the Yankees were prepared to do to get him. Good luck to Austin in Tampa, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him make the jump to the Bigs in a few short seasons. BTW, I've been out of pocket for about 2 weeks, but only internetwise. Nice to be back.;)

3 and out
06-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Congrats to Austin! I have had the privilege of watching him since his first year at Argyle. Heck of a player and one heck of a hard out! Congrats also to Coach Griffith and Coach Harp, they have a great program over there!!

Looking4number8
06-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Nice Story in the Brownwood paper today...

Brownwood ties for
Yankees’ second round pick
CONTRIBUTED PHOTO
New York Yankees’ second round
draft pick Austin Aune is the grandson
of Windell and Carolyn Perkins
of Brownwood.
BY DERRICK STUCKLY
BROWNWOOD BULLETIN
derrick.stuckly@brownwoodbulletin.com
The New York Yankees’ second round pick in the
2012 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft
has ties to Brownwood.
Argyle High School standout Austin Aune, who
was selected 89th overall in the draft on Tuesday,
is the grandson of Windell and Carolyn Perkins of
Brownwood.
Aune had previously committed to TCU, where
he was set to play both football and baseball for
the Horned Frogs. Aune was the District 9-3A co-
MVP in football at quarterback and outright MVP
in baseball at the shortstop position, but chose to
bypass TCU and begin his professional career.
During his senior season at Argyle, Aune batted
.447 with eight home runs and 41 RBIs — all teamhighs.
Aune’s parents are Greg and Karen Aune of Argyle.
Karen is a 1979 graduate of Brownwood High
School, where she was a cheerleader for four years
and was also voted homecoming queen