PDA

View Full Version : Bayou Bowl (June 16, 2012)

CTS
06-04-2012, 01:46 PM
La Marque and 3A will be represented well in the 10th Annual Bayou Bowl Texas vs. Louisiana All-Star game on June 16, 2012. It will be televised live at 7:00 pm on Channel 13 out of Houston and streamed live on their website for those outside the viewing area.

La Marque Head Coach Dr. Mike Jackson is the Head Coach of the Texas squad. Other La Marque coaches participating in the game are Mike Lawrence (DC), Pete Gareri (Secondary) and Nick Flores (Linebackers).

La Marque players participating are Brian Allen (TE), Tim Wright (TB) and Ken Butler (LB).

http://www.bayoubowl.org/

CTS
06-12-2012, 10:32 PM
http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/cyfair-sports/article/Football-Local-stars-to-play-for-Texas-3626205.php

CTS
06-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Coogs’ all-star cast playing in Bayou Bowl

By Jordan Godwin

The Daily News
Published June 15, 2012
LA MARQUE — La Marque High School’s Class of 2012 had a particularly special group of players with incredible gifts on the football field.

It was no surprise when the auditorium at La Marque High School was filled with students, parents and Cougar supporters on national signing day to see nearly a dozen players sign letters of intent to play college football.

It also was no surprise when it was announced four former Cougars will have a chance to compete in high school football all-star games Saturday evening, and it won’t be much of a surprise if they stand out among the crowd of the state’s brightest stars.

Running back Tim Wright, receiver Brian Allen and linebacker Ken Butler will take the field at Stallworth Stadium in Baytown at 7 p.m. Saturday to represent Team Texas against Team Louisiana in the Bayou Bowl. Defensive back Myles Drisdale will play in the Lone Star Bowl at 6 p.m. Saturday at Presner Stadium in Pearland.

“All of the accolades and playing in the Bayou Bowl just goes to show you how special this group really was,” said La Marque head coach Mike Jackson, who will also serve as the head coach of Team Texas on Saturday. “These kids are very deserving of this honor.”

Wright was the Galveston County Offensive Player of the Year, and Butler was the Defensive Player of the Year. They were leaders on each side of the ball, helping La Marque play in the Division II-4A state championship game as juniors and the state quarterfinal game as seniors.

In 2011, Wright overcame injuries to pile on 1,901 rushing yards, 27 rushing touchdowns, 251 receiving yards and three touchdowns on just 15 catches. He signed to play for Navarro Junior College in the fall.

Wright was one of the few players at Tuesday’s Bayou Bowl media day who came wearing gloves and a helmet. He’s clearly anxious to get back on the field and compete.

“I can’t wait to prove to everyone what I can do,” Wright said. “I can’t wait to get the pads on.”

Butler missed four games his senior season with a partially torn PCL but returned to finish the year with 84 tackles, including 16 for a loss and five sacks. Butler signed to play for Blinn Junior College.

Butler said he plans to administer the same menacing tackles he did against rivals like Texas City and Ball High in the all-star game against strangers from Louisiana.

“A lot of people said I’ll never be 100 percent again,” Butler said. “This game is a chance for me to show that I’m healthy. I’m not going to hold anything back in this game just because it’s an all-star game.”

Allen was a first-team All-County selection because he had 942 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns on 59 catches, numbers that helped him land a spot to play for the Utah Utes in the fall. He’s leaving for Utah on Monday.

“It’s a really exciting opportunity,” Allen said. “I’m going to make the most of it, have fun and play my game.”

Drisdale was a second-team All District 24-4A defensive back and a member of the National Honor Society.

“Myles is such a bright student and a great kid, and I’m happy that he’ll have his chance in the Lone Star Bowl,” Jackson said. “We’re aiming to make this a regular thing, having so many kids playing all-star games after the season.”

+++

At A Glance

WHAT: Bayou Bowl

WHEN: 7 p.m. Saturday

WHERE: Stallworth Stadium in Baytown

INFO: On Team Texas will be former La Marque players Brian Allen, Tim Wright and Ken Butler, and former Dickinson players Tyrell Preston and Byron Williams

+++

WHAT: Lone Star Bowl

WHEN: 6 p.m. Saturday

WHERE: Presner Stadium in Pearland

INFO: Suiting up will be former La Marque player Myles Drisdale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CTS
06-16-2012, 07:32 AM
Coogs’ coach leading Texas high school all-stars

By Jordan Godwin

The Daily News
Published June 16, 2012
BAYTOWN — Mike Jackson will find himself in an unfamiliar situation tonight in Baytown.

As he is accustomed to in La Marque, he’ll be on the sideline of a football game and running the show, but he won’t be calling the shots.

For the first time as a head coach, Jackson won’t call his own offensive plays. As the head coach of Team Texas facing Team Louisiana in the Bayou Bowl at Stallworth Stadium, Jackson has entrusted all of the play-calling responsibilities to offensive coordinator John Snelson, Dickinson’s head coach.

In the 10th installment of the Bayou Bowl, the last thing Jackson wants is a loss for the Lone State State’s high school all-star team. Texas has a 5-4 lead over Team Louisiana in the series, and Jackson doesn’t want to let it become tied.

“We’re here to win,” Jackson said. “We’ll have our fun and give the kids a chance to show what they can do, but don’t get me wrong, we want to win this thing.”

In 2010, Snelson served as the offensive coordinator as Team Texas put up huge numbers, crushing Louisiana, 45-15. In last year’s game, Texas committed five turnovers and lost, 30-23. Several of those turnovers were fumbles by running backs.

This year, Jackson and Snelson have some familiarity with the players who will handle most of the carries. Of the three running backs on Texas’ roster, two are from Galveston County. La Marque’s Tim Wright and Dickinson’s Tyrell Preston will represent one of the most dynamic one-two punches in the history of the Bayou Bowl.

Jackson also will be joined by several of his trusty assistants from La Marque. Cougars offensive coordinator Pete Gareri will coach the defensive backs, La Marque defensive coordinator Mike Lawrence will assume the same role in the Bayou Bowl, and Cougars’ coach Nick Flores will head the linebackers.

Each of the first four Bayou Bowls featured players now playing in the NFL. Players in the most recent five installments are on their way there.

“These are the best of the best, and it’s really neat to see how the two states stack up each year,” Jackson said. “You’re talking about a lot of talent that comes out of Texas and Louisiana.”

Jackson said he doubts he’ll have any lacking of his usual fiery competitiveness in tonight’s game, despite the fact he won’t be calling the plays. When asked how big a role his Cougars Wright, receiver Brian Allen and linebacker Ken Butler might have in the game’s outcome, he didn’t shy from putting high expectations on La Marque’s finest.

“The cream always rises to the top,” Jackson said. “We’ll be counting on them, and it’s really special to go to war with these guys one last time.”

+++

At A Glance

WHAT: Bayou Bowl

WHEN: 7 p.m. today

WHERE: Stallworth Stadium, 2509 E. Archer Road, in Baytown

TICKETS: $10 adult, $5 children

CTS
06-17-2012, 06:29 AM
Texas, Louisiana all-star teams tie in Bayou Bowl

By Jordan Godwin
The Daily News
Published June 17, 2012
BAYTOWN —*The last thing Mike Jackson wanted as head coach of Team Texas in the Bayou Bowl was a loss.

That didn’t happen, but he didn’t get what he wanted most — a win.

Because of Bayou Bowl bylaws, Saturday night’s 10th edition of the all-star game between outgoing high school seniors from Texas and Louisiana ended in a 23-23 tie. Texas’ record now stands at 5-4-1 in the series.

“I don’t know what it means,” Jackson, the head coach at La Marque, said. “But every kid on both teams wanted to spot the ball and play it out.”

Former La Marque running back Tim Wright was one of the most outspoken of those players.

“Man, that’s just not me,” Wright said. “We can go settle this at my house or something if we need to.”

It was an awkward ending to an otherwise thrilling game. Wright was almost the hero with less than two minutes remaining in the tied game when he had a 41-yard kick return.

“I thought I was going all the way,” Wright said. “He got me by the shoestrings.”

Texas led by 10 points in the third quarter, but Louisiana scored a touchdown, recovered the onside kick and converted a field goal to tie the game at 23 with less than three minutes remaining.

The game was tied at 10 at halftime after both teams failed to make long field goals with less than a minute remaining.

Jackson was welcomed by his 5-year-old daughter and toddler son at the end of the first half. It was a familiar sight in a game where he was surrounded by familiar people. Jackson had three assistant coaches from La Marque on his Bayou Bowl staff and three former Cougars on the playing field.

Wright was impressive in the first half and finished the game with 33 yards rushing on seven carries. He also added one reception for eight yards in his last game before he plans to play for Navarro Junior College.

Longtime Cougar teammate linebacker Ken Butler had a sack and five tackles. He limped off the field in the third quarter, and athletic trainers wrapped his left ankle. Butler later returned to the game.

“I just cramped up a little bit, but I’m fine,” said Butler, who will play for Blinn College in the fall.

Former Cougars wide receiver Brian Allen was primarily used as a tight end. He was targeted three times in the end zone but was overthrown on each attempt. Allen leaves for Utah on Monday to begin preparing for the Utes’ season.

“I didn’t like the tie, but you don’t want anyone to get hurt,” Allen said. “Most of us are about to leave for college, so it’s a good call to end it in a tie.”

Dickinson head coach John Snelson served as Texas’ offensive coordinator, and several assistant coaches and two players represented the Gators well. Running back Tyrell Preston rushed for 16 yards on six carries and also caught one pass for 5 yards. Preston also flashed his quickness on several impressive kick returns in the second half. His speed showed promise for his upcoming career at West Texas A&M.

Dickinson offensive lineman Byron Williams started the game and provided solid protection throughout the night. Williams will play college football for Stephen F. Austin State University.

Snelson was disappointed that he didn’t match his 2010 output as offensive coordinator when Texas scored 45 points in a blowout Bayou Bowl victory, but he said he still enjoyed the experience.

“It’s fun to coach a team loaded with such talented kids,” Snelson said. “It gets tough to rotate them in and out fairly, but it’s fun.”

As for Jackson, he didn’t know what to make of the tie, but he had high hopes that it eventually will lead to his ultimate goal. Jackson cited the last Team Texas coach to win the game, Tony Heath, who went on to win a state championship with Pearland the following season.

“I’m going to hope it somehow leads to us winning a Class 3A state championship,” Jackson said with a laugh.

CTS
06-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Houston Chronicle

The all-stars from Texas and Louisiana went helmet to helmet for 48 minutes in the 10th annual Bayou Bowl on Saturday*night.

In the end, nothing was*decided.

Louisiana turned a fourth-quarter onside kick into a game-tying field goal and Texas quarterback Averion Hurts was intercepted with 41 seconds left in the game, leaving the teams in an unsatisfying 23-23 tie at Stallworth*Stadium.

"As a coach, you want to see a win or a loss," said La Marque coach Mike Jackson, who coached the Texas team. "Obviously you want to see a win. It's just a strange feeling. I haven't had a tie since — I've got to think about it — 1994, so I don't know how to feel.
"You're glad you didn't lose. You still want to go back out there and keep*playing."

The Greater Houston Football Coaches Association, which sponsors the Bayou Bowl, doesn't want the athletes to get hurt by having them play extra time in an all-star*game.

"If they want to get (Louisiana) coach (Terrence) Williams over here, we can arm wrestle, or we'll do whatever to see who ends up (on top)," Jackson said with a laugh. "I promise you, every kid on both teams and every coach wanted to spot the ball at the 25 and*play."

The MVP trophy went to Channelview wide receiver Marquise Johnson, who had two receptions for 119 yards and a*touchdown.

Johnson, who is planning to play at a junior college, hauled in an 80-yard TD pass from Tomball QB Justin Dvorak on Texas' first offensive*play.

"I saw it because the safety was biting down, it was just me and the corner, and I knew he couldn't hold me man-on-man, so I knew it was a touchdown," Johnson*said.

Channelview teammate Stanley Wesley had the other TD for Texas on a 42-yard pass from Hurts, Channelview's prolific QB last season, giving Texas a 20-10 third-quarter*lead.

Wesley, who's headed to Kilgore College with Hurts, finished with four catches for 98 yards.
"We had to (play well)," Johnson said. "It was our last time playing with each other. I'm going to miss playing with*him."