PDA

View Full Version : P. Diddy's son earns scholarship to UCLA

ctown81
06-01-2012, 02:20 PM
What do you all think about this. I will be the first to admit that this article leans heavily on the "in favor of" side of things which I agree with but it atleast explains what's going on.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/P-Diddy-son-Justin-Combs-UCLA-football-scholarship-criticism-is-a-joke-053112

coog4eva
06-01-2012, 02:28 PM
The kid earned it...give it to him.........his dad didnt earn the scholarship......

Matthew328
06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
kid worked his whole life to get a scholarship...no one can ever say his daddy got it...he earned it on his own

Ernest T Bass
06-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Agreed! He earned it, it should be offered to him. Now, the nice thing to do would be to refuse the money and play for free since there are many who need the money much worse, but he shouldn't feel obligated to do such.

Emerson1
06-01-2012, 04:31 PM
This is stupid.

No one complained Barry Sanders Jr. getting a scholarship. His dad could make enough money to pay for 4 years of school in a week. Robert Jones probably isn't doing half bad himself either.

I heard something that made sense though. Not accept the scholarship and just walk on. Then you would free up 1 extra scholarship to go after another player.

HEMOTOXIC
06-01-2012, 05:40 PM
He earned it, yes.

Old Tiger
06-02-2012, 09:46 AM
This is stupid.

No one complained Barry Sanders Jr. getting a scholarship. His dad could make enough money to pay for 4 years of school in a week. Robert Jones probably isn't doing half bad himself either.

I heard something that made sense though. Not accept the scholarship and just walk on. Then you would free up 1 extra scholarship to go after another player.They may have money but they don't have Diddy money. Net worth = 500 million

But regardless if kid earned it kid earned it.

Manso/V8
06-02-2012, 11:16 AM
I thought his name was Puff Daddy.

Lion70
06-03-2012, 07:19 AM
I thought his name was Puff Daddy.

It used to be he changed it to Pdiddy a few years ago.

Manso/V8
06-03-2012, 10:58 AM
It used to be he changed it to Pdiddy a few years ago.

I say we throw a flag on this one. His real name is Sean Combs, Puff Daddy was as a stage name he used for a number of years until he realized it was stupid, then he changed it to the little less stupid Pdiddy. and now it seems he is trying to work it back to Sean Combs.

I think a person should only get one name per life (except for name changes due to marriage), AND I generally just don't like it when people choose their own nickname.

I will give Cassius Marcellus Clay the switch to Cassius X and then Muhammad Ali because the Cassius X was just a brief temporary name in the transition to Muhammad Ali, and they were both given to him by Malcolm X when Clay became a member of the Nation of Islam.

So, as a penalty for two chosen name changes, I think Pdiddy should be stuck with Puff Daddy.......unless he admits publicly that Puff Daddy was a stupid idea and politely asks that everyone refer to him only as Sean Combs. Sean Combs is a real nice name and better moniker for a man this is such a successful entertainer and business man with a strong work ethic and a good head on his shoulders. I remember when he started flying commercial instead of in his private jet because the cost of fuel had gotten so high.....he had the money but said it didn't make sense. I respect him except for the goofy name changes.

His son should get the scholarship. He worked for it, he earned it, and the young man needs to start finding his own path to success in life apart from being the son of a rich and famous person.....which from what you hear/read in the media, growing up as the child of a rich and famous entertainer is not always positive. There are also a lot of benefits besides tuition/books/ housing to being on a full ride such as the right to live in team housing, full training table, tutoring, etc that walk-ons usually do not receive, and scholarship players of equal ability usually get more playing time over walk-ons.

My guess is that Sean Combs has been a pretty good father and taught his son the importance of work ethic, setting goals, and achieving them. As a business man, I am sure he would appreciate not having to pay for the tuition (frees up some cash for private jet travel). The idea his son shouldn't get the scholarship smacks of this income redistribution stuff that has been talked about too much lately. Besides, Sean Combs will likely support the school in ways well beyond the financial cost of the scholarship.......that's how things usually work.