PDA

View Full Version : Sweeny vs. Columbia

YTBulldogs
05-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Not sure even playing this at the Grand Canyon Park can contain them bombs by Sweeny hitters. Good luck to both teams.

Snotbubbles
05-27-2012, 08:20 AM
When ya face a beer belly coach, who has his hitters attacking on the first pitch, proactive on the basepaths and constant pressure on the "D", hard to beat. Sweeny's Coach Carter is as good as they come. Throwback type coach and a good guy IMO.

Bulldogs in a sweep here. BIG!!!! Some football happenings enter into this one. Might even have a few arguments in the stands in this matchup. Think there will be some resentment of some Sweeny football players moving to WC on the minds of the Sweeny faithful during a baseball game? I do. Better have extra security on duty. Can't miss series here. Where we get our tickets at for this series? Wanna see the excitement on and off the field. :redxpoke:

YTBulldogs
05-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Keep Sweeny down, crowd kinda is out of it. Give them an opening, and let them gain the momentum and get ahead---yikes!!!! Very LOUD and proud pours from the stands. I was impressed with the entire make up of Sweeny. The closer throws very hard (starting SS I believe), and I wonder if he ever started a game this year? Above average heater with movement and to me would make a nice #2 behind that slower, crafty- set you up - lefty, Chafin. Hitters frustrated and off stride by Chafin in game 1, then this kid would blow away hitters after facing Chafin. His already above heater would look like 100 mph to hitters. Just my thought. I don't know if he can start or not though.

With the Sweeny hitters, the bat boy could pitch and they'd (hitters) would have his back. LOL. PS: Walk the catcher.:)

What was the scores between you two in district?

YTBulldogs
05-27-2012, 08:47 AM
When ya face a beer belly coach, who has his hitters attacking on the first pitch, proactive on the basepaths and constant pressure on the "D", hard to beat. Sweeny's Coach Carter is as good as they come. Throwback type coach and a good guy IMO.

Bulldogs in a sweep here. BIG!!!! Some football happenings enter into this one. Might even have a few arguments in the stands in this matchup. Think there will be some resentment of some Sweeny football players moving to WC on the minds of the Sweeny faithful during a baseball game? I do. Better have extra security on duty. Can't miss series here. Where we get our tickets at for this series? Wanna see the excitement on and off the field. :redxpoke:

Talking to several Sweeny fans at Tony's Restaurant and at Sealy's Stadium, ummmmm---I'm sure some football happenings will enter the fan's mind at least.

YTBulldogs
05-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Think I like to see this one myself. They have a time and place yet? Maybe Minute Maid would do? :)

SHSBulldog00
05-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Limas asked to be the closer for us this season; during the year our scores were 13-5 and 6-3; It will be a Best of Three Thursday/Saturday but location is TBA. Let you know when I find out.

defense51
05-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Congrats to both teams and good luck, this should be a good one.

YTBulldogs
05-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Limas asked to be the closer for us this season; during the year our scores were 13-5 and 6-3; It will be a Best of Three Thursday/Saturday but location is TBA. Let you know when I find out.

Curious SHS, did Limas ever start a game this year. Nasty 1-2 rotation punch with Chafin and Limas IMO. Other RHP'ers we seen were average. 78-82 MPH they threw. One had no off speed control at all. Limas threw harder, I think 85-87 what I heard from our gunner. But, not sure he could go 5 IP at that speed either. So, why I asked if he started any this year, or just closed?

SHSBulldog00
05-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Curious SHS, did Limas ever start a game this year. Nasty 1-2 rotation punch with Chafin and Limas IMO. Other RHP'ers we seen were average. 78-82 MPH they threw. One had no off speed control at all. Limas threw harder, I think 85-87 what I heard from our gunner. But, not sure he could go 5 IP at that speed either. So, why I asked if he started any this year, or just closed?

He didn't start any games I made, but I did miss some.

YTBulldogs
05-27-2012, 02:05 PM
He didn't start any games I made, but I did miss some.

Don't tell me the SS is one of the many talented underclassmen returning too? Scary thought, Sweeny might even be better next year.:)

SHSBulldog00
05-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Don't tell me the SS is one of the many talented underclassmen returning too? Scary thought, Sweeny might even be better next year.:)

Sorry but he is just a Jr :)

YTBulldogs
05-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Sorry but he is just a Jr :)

:helpme:

yellaseeker
05-27-2012, 08:55 PM
You guys don't start instigating any kind of riot between these two ball clubs. Don't think that will happen but they dont need any help getting it started. These two groups have mucho respect for each other and coachs as well. If they wanna express disapproval of football kids moving, let it get settled on a football field. None of those kids that moved play baseball so it has nothin to do with this series. Battle of the Bernard has always been very competitive between these two but it has been quite a few years since there has been any so called bad blood and i'd like to see it stay that way.

YTBulldogs
05-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Battle of the Bernard has always been very competitive between these two

Sure Columbia has a fine club yella. But, "I predict the next few to be a disaster" for ya against Sweeny. I think that was the type of post you made about Yoakum.:hand:

yellaseeker
05-28-2012, 01:46 AM
:thmbdwn:edited.......lhpm

SHSBulldog00
05-28-2012, 09:02 AM
REGIONAL FINAL UPDATE:

Sweeny vs Columbia

3 Game Series

Game 1: Thursday, May 31st, 7:30PM @ Alvin HS Baseball Field

Games 2 & 3 (if needed): Saturday, June 2nd: Place and Time TBA

SHSBulldog00
05-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Disregard my previous post. Below is the complete Location and Game Times

Region 4 Finals
Sweeny vs. Columbia

Game 1 Thursday night at 7:30 (Sweeny will be home team)
Game 2 Saturday at 4:00 (Columbia will be home team)
Game 3 30 minutes after if needed....

All games will be played at Brazoswood High School Field in Clute, Texas.

Sweeny will occupy 3rd base dugout for the series and Columbia will occupy the 1st base dugout for the series. BE SURE TO MARK YOUR CALENDAR'S!!!!

neck_06
05-28-2012, 04:04 PM
I will be there.

YTBulldogs
05-28-2012, 05:05 PM

Region 4 Finals
Sweeny vs. Columbia

Sweeny will occupy 3rd base dugout for the series and Columbia will occupy the 1st base dugout for the series. BE SURE TO MARK YOUR CALENDAR'S!!!!

Thanks SHS for info. Love to see the games and excitement surrounding them. Should be very entertaining. Best of luck to both schools, Region 4 will be represented well at state.

Necks88Fan
05-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Was hoping for a better venue but, guess it will have to do. This classic series being this close to home, will pack the house so, If you don't get there pretty early, bring a lawn chair and find a place on the foul line fence. Won't matter to me cause i can't sit still anyhow. Oh yeah, lance the lizard will be in attendance also. lol

pirate4state
05-28-2012, 05:26 PM
what in the hell is this garbage about?

Roughneck93
05-28-2012, 06:14 PM

Region 4 Finals
Sweeny vs. Columbia

At least it's close by. Less than five miles from work! Can't wait....

Saggy Aggie
05-28-2012, 07:34 PM
:doh::doh:

44INAROW
05-28-2012, 08:50 PM
If I could figure out how to edit - I would - I will say this - all it takes is one jackass to make an entire town/team sound like hillbilly idiots........ :flaming:

Saggy Aggie
05-28-2012, 09:06 PM
If I could figure out how to edit - I would - I will say this - all it takes is one jackass to make an entire town/team sound like hillbilly idiots........ :flaming: just what I was thinking.

I hate for this guy to ruin our school and towns reputation for playing with respect and class. West Columbia has been known on here along with Sinton and others for that.

Idk what yellaseeker's problem is but he just loses his mind every once in a while.

Tejastrue
05-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Yella...may I suggest a helpful daily prayer...
:)

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4635889487970598&id=236d3d7e112262446480ba12a3dd6ef2

YTBulldogs
05-28-2012, 10:17 PM
It's all good. It's all about two fine teams here. Don't allow anyone's actions damper what these young kid's and their programs have and are about to accomplish here.

yellaseeker
05-29-2012, 02:19 AM
He and another guy starting stirring up discussion about a feud between towns brewing due to football transfers and that there would probably be some trouble at the series and seemed to look forward to the drama. I expressed that it was not cool. After I posted that comment, the guy took the first poke at me personally because In a different thread, I stated what I thought was gonna happen in the 2nd Yoakum/Sweeny game. Don't be so quick to run to his defense. Read the sequence of events and if then you still feel like i flew off the handle then your still entitled to your judgement but won't have any bearing on mine. A guy doesn't take someone's crap and becomes the towns Hillbilly or Jackass? That's pretty bold but call it what you want. Bottom line is, don't throw a jab if your not looking for a counter. Hey, I'll hold no grudge and i've already said my peace previously and done with it, so let the sleeping dog lie.

YTBulldogs
05-29-2012, 05:24 AM
Yella-Just stated what I heard from fan's while in Sealy (field and Tony's) for our games with Sweeny. I think they already envisioned a matchup with Columbia weeks before our series truth be known. It will be a exciting series and most likely the best in the state due to the closeness of the communities. Yes, a packed park for sure.

Saggy Aggie
05-29-2012, 08:06 AM
He and another guy starting stirring up discussion about a feud between towns brewing due to football transfers and that there would probably be some trouble at the series and seemed to look forward to the drama. I expressed that it was not cool. After I posted that comment, the guy took the first poke at me personally because In a different thread, I stated what I thought was gonna happen in the 2nd Yoakum/Sweeny game. Don't be so quick to run to his defense. Read the sequence of events and if then you still feel like i flew off the handle then your still entitled to your judgement but won't have any bearing on mine. A guy doesn't take someone's crap and becomes the towns Hillbilly or Jackass? That's pretty bold but call it what you want. Bottom line is, don't throw a jab if your not looking for a counter. Hey, I'll hold no grudge and i've already said my peace previously and done with it, so let the sleeping dog lie. I think everyone here is aware of exactly what happened, and it doenst change the fact that we're all still here scratching our heads wondering who pissed in your cereal

SHSBulldog00
05-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Yella-Just stated what I heard from fan's while in Sealy (field and Tony's) for our games with Sweeny. I think they already envisioned a matchup with Columbia weeks before our series truth be known. It will be a exciting series and most likely the best in the state due to the closeness of the communities. Yes, a packed park for sure.

Sweeny is in the regional final for the first time since 1990. We won state in 1985.

Just a little buffer of what to expect fan wise. Last year our softball teams played in the regional final in Alvin and there was a big crowd...didn't get a number; Four years ago the Sweeny girls played Needville in the regional final @ Brazoswood and the attendeance averaged over 1,100 with the largest over 1,300.

That was against Needville!!!! I know Sweeny/WC has the potential to be just as big if not bigger.

On a side note for those not in the Area, the football game two years ago drew over 5 or 6,000 fans. Yes we are fanatic about our sports and our school's and communities. Anytime we meet it is a competion we like to call "The Battle of the Bernard". GET THERE EARLY, BE LOUD AND WEAR BLUE!!!!!!! GO DOG'S!!!!!!

baseballcoach13
05-29-2012, 08:46 AM
If I could figure out how to edit - I would - I will say this - all it takes is one jackass to make an entire town/team sound like hillbilly idiots........ :flaming:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Let us be clear, he is from Wild Peach. Totally different world than West Columbia.

SHSBulldog00
05-29-2012, 08:47 AM
This is from the local paper

This Time It Is For Real

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9035/columbiavssweeny.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/columbiavssweeny.jpg/)

YTBulldogs
05-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Yella, I don't want no hard feelings on here. I consider 3ADL Family. I aploigize for anything I said that upset you and was out of line. Good luck bud.

Roughneck93
05-29-2012, 09:01 AM
This is from the local paper

This Time It Is For Real

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9035/columbiavssweeny.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/columbiavssweeny.jpg/)

Awesome pic...:thumbsup:

A lot of great info on the series in today's paper.

SHSBulldog00
05-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Awesome pic...:thumbsup:

A lot of great info on the series in today's paper.

The entire sports section is on the series. I love when we finally get the recognition these boy's have deserved all year. No matter who wins I will cheer for them to win state(hopefully us):D

Clutch643
05-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Good luck to Coach Shank and Coach Carter! Two very respected coaches. Wishing both teams the best of luck this upcoming series! Look forward to watching two fine teams.

yellaseeker
05-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Yella, I don't want no hard feelings on here. I consider 3ADL Family. I aploigize for anything I said that upset you and was out of line. Good luck bud.

YT, you don't owe me anything. Like i said, i hold no grudge and i probably went further than i should. Probably due to the fact that everyone else wants to be a big brother on here when people get a little crossways with each other. Bout like two big dogs fighting and one having to deal with a damn ankle biting chihuaha on his heels. It's all good and my apologyse to you as well. How bout the rest of you ankle biters kiss ol' yella's ass. Lmao!

yellaseeker
05-29-2012, 01:20 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Let us be clear, he is from Wild Peach. Totally different world than West Columbia.

I won't expect much better from someone coming out of a drainage ditch in Katy. Truly hilarious right there.

baseballcoach13
05-29-2012, 01:44 PM
I won't expect much better from someone coming out of a drainage ditch in Katy. Truly hilarious right there.

There you go again...making The Peach proud. Its good that you wont not expect much more. I wont not expect much more either.

pirate4state
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Jesus, Mary & Joseph ...

Clutch643
05-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but Sweeny has its graduation Friday night, correct? When is West Columbia's graduation? Friday also?

baseballcoach13
05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
WC graduation was last week.

Clutch643
05-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the information!

areacode337
05-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Sweeny graduates Friday.

yellaseeker
05-29-2012, 06:29 PM
There you go again...making The Peach proud. Its good that you wont not expect much more. I wont not expect much more either.

You keep mentioning wild peach. Did something bad happen to you in wild peach? What's your point. I do have a house in wild peach and have had one for years. I also have a place near sheridan in which I spend some weekend time. Is there something wrong with people who live in sheridan too. I don't necessarily think folks from katy are retarded, but i'm starting to wonder. I've already had one stint with you in the past and don't really want to play games with ya. Go pester someone else.

baseballcoach13
05-30-2012, 07:38 AM
You keep mentioning wild peach. Did something bad happen to you in wild peach? What's your point. I do have a house in wild peach and have had one for years. I also have a place near sheridan in which I spend some weekend time. Is there something wrong with people who live in sheridan too. I don't necessarily think folks from katy are retarded, but i'm starting to wonder. I've already had one stint with you in the past and don't really want to play games with ya. Go pester someone else.

Na, nothing has ever happened to me in the peach. Mostly because I when drive through and I hear the banjos play I don't hang around to see where they are coming from. And again in case you missed it, I aint from Katy. But I wont not expect you to be able to catch it the first time. I probably typed it too fast fer ya.

SHSBulldog00
05-30-2012, 10:27 AM
While you WC folk keep going back and forth I will talk about the series. Sweeny is the home team for game 1 and WC is home for game 2. I am looking at these games to be more like the last time we met 6-3. I believe Wilson Field is facing south or southwest, so the sun shouldn't bother the batters like it could have in Sealy.

It's been a few years since I've been over there but be sure to bring chairs.

Necks88Fan
05-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Hey, not all village people play a banjo. I'm pretty good with a geetar though. Lol

baseballcoach13
05-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Hey, not all village people play a banjo. I'm pretty good with a geetar though. Lol

One of these days you will quit saying that and prove it. And I have heard your ringtone....it is banjos. Put some shoes on, brush your tooth, and brang yer geetar.

yellaseeker
05-30-2012, 05:53 PM

Watch intertaining this guy. It's kinda like feeding the monkey's at the zoo. They keep coming back for more and they're always scratching and sniffing each others asses. I really think he's a redneck in denial and enjoys all of this. lol

On a serious note, hopefully someone will post good play by play updates of game one tomorrow? Gotta pick up my nephew at the airport and probably won't make it back in time. Roughnecks93 does a darn good job of it. Hint, Hint.

Roughneck93
05-30-2012, 06:36 PM
While you WC folk keep going back and forth I will talk about the series. Sweeny is the home team for game 1 and WC is home for game 2. I am looking at these games to be more like the last time we met 6-3. I believe Wilson Field is facing south or southwest, so the sun shouldn't bother the batters like it could have in Sealy.

It's been a few years since I've been over there but be sure to bring chairs.

That's what I'm thinking too, except with the Necks coming out on top this time.

Roughneck93
05-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Watch intertaining this guy. It's kinda like feeding the monkey's at the zoo. They keep coming back for more and they're always scratching and sniffing each others asses. I really think he's a redneck in denial and enjoys all of this. lol

On a serious note, hopefully someone will post good play by play updates of game one tomorrow? Gotta pick up my nephew at the airport and probably won't make it back in time. Roughnecks93 does a darn good job of it. Hint, Hint.

:2thumbsup
Lol, I got you covered. I'll do the play by play on 3ABASEBALL.COM...

neck_06
05-30-2012, 09:46 PM

Maybe if you didn't give him so much ammo, he'd stop busting your chops. Lol.

YTBulldogs
05-31-2012, 05:59 AM
Regretfully I will be missing this series due to Missy being in hospital. But, I hope someone updates the thread here with the exciting game updates.

Best of luck to Columbia and Sweeny. Creme of the crop in Region 4 is being displayed here.

PLAY BALL!!!!!!!!

baseballcoach13
05-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Maybe if you didn't give him so much ammo, he'd stop busting your chops. Lol.

HA!!!

Yella, you also may want to consider that there are people on here that associate outside the WWW. Glad you wont not expect me to "intertaining" ya.

baseballcoach13
05-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Columbia takes to lizard for assistance
StoryCommentsShareShare Print Create a hardcopy of this page Font Size: Default font size Larger font size .

ALEX YBARRA/The Facts

Lizard 053112
Columbia’s Jerry Wayne Cotton holds Lance, a recent addition to the Roughneck baseball team. The team took the “hitting lizard” in as a pet after it brought good luck in a 2-1 series victory in the 3A Region IV semifinals against Boerne on Saturday in Weimar.

Buy this photo . Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:00 am | Updated: 12:32 am, Thu May 31, 2012.

Columbia takes to lizard for assistance By ALEX YBARRA The Facts | 0 comments

WEST COLUMBIA — If anyone believes in the power of the hitting lizard, it’s Columbia’s Jerry Wayne Cotton.

“Look how blue he is under there, pretty cool,” said Cotton, lightly petting the belly of Lance the lizard — the newest member of the Columbia baseball team.

Lance stumbled upon his new teammates Saturday, when Columbia pounded out 28 hits in back-to-back wins to oust Boerne in a three-game series and advance to the 3A Region IV final. Just two days earlier, Columbia struck out 13 times in a 2-0 loss to the Greyhounds and trailed the series, 1-0.

For the Roughnecks, encountering Lance was fate.

“He’s the hitting lizard, and he brings us good luck with the sticks,” said Cotton, who smacked a home run during a 12-3 victory in Game 3 against Boerne.

Since he was the biggest beneficiary of Lance’s good luck, Cotton was chosen to keep the reptile, much to the dismay of his mother.

“She didn’t like it at first,” Cotton said. “She said, ‘That thing is not coming home with me.’ I said, ‘Yes it is.’”

The history

The Roughnecks weren’t going to make the same mistake twice, which is ultimately why the lizard went home with Cotton.

In the 3A Region semifinal against Salado last season, Columbia trailed the series 1-0 at Strickland Field in Weimar — the same place the ’Necks met Boerne last Thursday and Saturday.

Before Game 2 against Salado, players spotted a tarantula, about the size of a fist, relaxing in Columbia’s dugout.

“It was a big one,” senior outfielder Tyler Ince said. “It just sat in the corner and we called it the hitting spider.”

The Roughnecks scored 27 runs on 29 hits that day, completing a 2-1 series win over Salado to reach the first region final in school history.

But unlike Lance, the spider didn’t make the trip home with Columbia.

“We left him in Weimar, thank goodness,” Columbia coach Jeff Shank said.

Without the hitting spider, Robstown swept Columbia the next weekend, holding the ’Necks to five runs in two losses. That chain of events made the superstitious Roughnecks think twice before leaving their scaly friend behind following the Boerne series.

“Now we got Lance,” Columbia third baseman Brooks McKinney said. “We got nothing to worry about.”

A new friend

It was Ince who spotted the lizard scurrying across the grass during warm-ups Saturday. He immediately pointed it out to the team and named it the hitting lizard.

After chasing it around for five minutes, sophomore pitcher Seth Romero finally caught it.

“We asked the concession stand for a box and we got a box and wrapped it with breathable foam and put holes in it and everything,” Ince said. “We put some water in there.”

The naming process was the next logical step.

“What about Lance?” said pitcher Will McKinney, Brooks’ twin.

Lance stuck, and he shuffled around in his box on top of the water cooler most of the day, as the Roughnecks’ bats came alive.

Close call

Lance wasn’t exactly comfortable in his new habitat, considering there was an escape attempt in the middle of Game 2.

Hunter Irwin, who was out of the game because of an injury, watched the lizard fly out of the box and take off in the dugout. Luckily, Columbia was batting, so players helped Cotton corner the shifty animal.

“Hunter was like, ‘No, get him,’ then you see Jerry Wayne going down the dugout with gloves on trying to grab him,” pitcher Treylon Johnican said.

It took Cotton about 10 minutes to return Lance to his box.

“I put a batting glove on because, for one, that’s a fairly large lizard,” Cotton said. “I thought he could put some pain on somebody.”

About two hours later, Cotton inflicted pain on Boerne with a two-run shot over the left-field fence for his first home run of the year.

When Columbia takes on District 29-3A rival Sweeny in the region final today and Saturday for a trip to the state tournament, there’s no doubt Lance will be in attendance.

“Whatever works, you get little sayings and things that the kids do, little pets,” Shank said. “The Angels had that monkey a few years back when they won the World Series, so whatever catches on.”

Scoop27
05-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Will this game be broadcast over the internet, and what's the site?

Necks88Fan
05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
If we don't win it all, the lizard will perish. Just kidding PETA folks. Already tired of those buys askin me if the lizard is still living though. Guess i'll have to keep that edition of the facts for the scrap book. Come on necks, don't let Lance down. His life depends on it. Lol

SHSBulldog00
05-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Will this game be broadcast over the internet, and what's the site?

No broadcast:thmbdwn:

baseballcoach13
05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
If we don't win it all, the lizard will perish. Just kidding PETA folks. Already tired of those buys askin me if the lizard is still living though. Guess i'll have to keep that edition of the facts for the scrap book. Come on necks, don't let Lance down. His life depends on it. Lol

You ain't fooling me..I know about you Village people. Lance is destined for the fyin' pan!

SHSBulldog00
05-31-2012, 04:28 PM
You ain't fooling me..I know about you Village People. Lance is destined for the fyin' pan!

http://youtu.be/CS9OO0S5w2k

Scoop27
05-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Still cant' believe this series was not picked up by a radio station AM or FM or on the net. El Campo Radio Station KULP could have broadcast it or one of the Bay City stations

Sealys internet broadcast station broadcasts even regular season volleball, basketball, baseball and softball games

Roughneck93
05-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Listen live....

http://www.cmcbroadcasting.com

Roughneck93
05-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Sweeny leads 1-0.

Top 4th

Roughneck93
05-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Tied 1-1....
Bot 5th

Roughneck93
05-31-2012, 09:36 PM
2-2

Bot 7th

Saggy Aggie
05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Let's go necks!

YTBulldogs
05-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Congrats Sweeny on 3-2 win. "Glavine" time tomorrow with Chafin in Game #2, huh?

Roughneck93
05-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Sweeny takes Game 1....3-2. :(

SHSBulldog00
05-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Congrats Sweeny on 3-2 win. "Glavine" time tomorrow with Chafin in Game #2, huh?

Heard he has been sick this week, but he did play well tonight.

YTBulldogs
06-01-2012, 06:00 AM
Heard he has been sick this week, but he did play well tonight.

I'm sure he'll (Chafin) be toeing the rubber Saturday, with a state appearance on the line. ;)

YTBulldogs
06-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Nice being able to listen to the game at the hospital. Anyone know who these announcers are though?:crazy1:

bulldog25
06-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Nice being able to listen to the game at the hospital. Anyone know who these announcers are though?:crazy1:

Not sure but Sat fairly close to them and they were terrible all night long. I mean I appreciate what they are doing but jeez. Take some notes or something. Lol for example "he connects on that one! For a weak ground ball foul." smh...

SweenyBulldog
06-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Glad to see Sweeny doing well. Keep it up!

baseballcoach13
06-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Not sure but Sat fairly close to them and they were terrible all night long. I mean I appreciate what they are doing but jeez. Take some notes or something. Lol for example "he connects on that one! For a weak ground ball foul." smh...

How many times can you say "he pastes that one...."

And they had the dates and locations wrong for state Tournament.

Bobby Williamson is not the head coach at Bwood....its Williams.

SHSBulldog00
06-01-2012, 10:38 AM
I think they are out of Pearland....

yellaseeker
06-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Well, i made it back in time and let me tell ya, to say the venue was less than adequate would be the understatement of the year. I got there in the middle of the first and was wondering why there was as many people walking out as there was walkin in. A few of them said they were leaving cause of no place to sit or stand to see the game. You can't make me believe that's the best they could do for a region final and knowing what kind of turnout there would be. I'd like to know the reason behind that decision. Hell, everyone was pissed off and there was more people standing than were sitting. Was it a money issue? Rumor was they made 15,000 on admission. Wouldnt that more than pay for just about any suitable venue? It's rediculous and whoever is responsible for those conditions should be chastised for it. Won't even start on the concession line ordeal. Way to thank your community for their support and showing the kids they are worthy of a fine venue for maybe their last series ever. I may be the only one speak out but evryone i talked to were highly pissed.

Roughneck93
06-01-2012, 11:07 AM
​From The Facts....

BOY OH BOYD: Sweeny pitcher delivers walk-off hit for 3-2 victory against Columbia.

Posted: Friday, June 1, 2012 2:00 am
By JOEL LUNA

CLUTE — In a jam-packed Wilson Field, it took a Texas league fly ball to nowhere-land to decide Game 1 of the Class 3A Region IV final on Thursday night.
Sweeny’s Austin Boyd hit a high pop to left field that dropped between Columbia left fielder Tyler Ince and third baseman Brooks McKinney, pushing across teammate Jordan Limas for a 3-2, walk-off victory.
“I thought it was going to get caught, but to get to this point in the season and be one game away from Austin or even two games away like they are, you have to get lucky sometimes,” Sweeny coach Scott Carter said.

Two errors by the Columbia defense cost them dearly in the bottom of the seventh. With two outs, catcher Stephan Barrera dropped a called third strike on Limas, allowing him to reach safely.

Then a shot by Corey Simpson up the middle was mishandled by shortstop Patrick Cato, placing runners on the corners for Boyd.

“I thought the game came out a little shaky, the ball was a little damp and with the rain we had today, there were some mishandles,” Carter said. “We played through them, and they had a couple of mishaps and it was just a good baseball game.”

The series resumes at 4 p.m. Saturday at Wilson Field.

The Roughnecks (28-6) have had their backs against the wall before, and will try to even the series and stretch it to a third game.

“This isn’t nothing knew to us, and that is what we told the kids,” Columbia coach Jeff Shank said. “The thing is that it is a tougher opponent in Sweeny, and there is more at stake, but we are going to regroup and come back and compete on Saturday.”

Sweeny (30-2), which has been a terror at the plate, was held to just three hits by Columbia junior Seth Romero (nine strikeouts, three hits, two walks) in a losing cause.

“We expected to see him and he is a good pitcher,” Carter said. “We had not seen him, so we’d been talking about it all week, and we saw him earlier and he does well with his fastball and changeup. But we weren’t very patient at the plate, because we are an aggressive hitting team and he gave us all kinds of fits.”

Sweeny took the initial lead in the bottom of the third after Travis Johnson walked and was able to get to third after consecutive steals. With two outs, Simpson went up the middle scoring Johnson for a 1-0 lead.

In the fifth, Columbia used a couple of hits off Boyd (nine strikeouts, four hits, two walks) to get on the board. With the bases loaded, Ince’s grounder to second scored Jerry Wayne Cotton to knot the game at 1.

Sweeny regained the lead in the sixth, but for the second time in the game, the Roughnecks came right back. Designated hitter Hunter Irwin was hit by Boyd to start the top of the inning. John Beene took over for Irwin on the base paths as Limas stepped onto the mound.

Cotton moved Beene to second base on a sacrifice bunt. With one out, Beene then moved to third base on a wild pitch by Limas. Treylon Johnican (1-for-3, double, error, RBI) lifted a high fly ball to right field, allowing Beene to tag and score for a 2-2 tie.

The Bulldogs did not have a hit after the second frame but still came out on top.

“This was what you expect to see in a region final with two teams that know each other so well,” Carter said. “But we have to come out and play good baseball on Saturday and this was exactly what everybody expected it to be.”

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_b3b63540-aba5-11e1-9457-001a4bcf887a.html?success=2

SHSBulldog00
06-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Well, i made it back in time and let me tell ya, to say the venue was less than adequate would be the understatement of the year. I got there in the middle of the first and was wondering why there was as many people walking out as there was walkin in. A few of them said they were leaving cause of no place to sit or stand to see the game. You can't make me believe that's the best they could do for a region final and knowing what kind of turnout there would be. I'd like to know the reason behind that decision. Hell, everyone was pissed off and there was more people standing than were sitting. Was it a money issue? Rumor was they made 15,000 on admission. Wouldnt that more than pay for just about any suitable venue? It's rediculous and whoever is responsible for those conditions should be chastised for it. Won't even start on the concession line ordeal. Way to thank your community for their support and showing the kids they are worthy of a fine venue for maybe their last series ever. I may be the only one speak out but evryone i talked to were highly pissed.

I was told Skeeter Field in Sugarland was out cause the Skeeters have a weekend series there. UH wanted $12,000 per game

Roughneck93
06-01-2012, 11:21 AM

We got their around 6:15....

It was already packed then, standing room only by 6:30. Going to have to get there very early on Saturday.

SHSBulldog00
06-01-2012, 11:29 AM
We got their around 6:15....

It was already packed then, standing room only by 6:30. Going to have to get their very early on Saturday.

I'm gonna bring an umbrella too to block the sun.

SHSBulldog00
06-01-2012, 01:25 PM
I don't have a solid number for the attendeance of the Sweeny/Columbia Game 1 last night but it was between 3,000 - 4,000 people.

baseballcoach13
06-01-2012, 02:30 PM
There are 3 places in the area that would have sufficient seating for a game of this magnitude.

1. Minute Maid-you wouldn't believe what they want to host a series.
2. Constellation Park-They are hosting a select league tournament this weekend.
3. UH-They are hosting the 5A region.

And at all three of these places you would have a drop in attendance due to the distance. I know I talked to at least 15 people that said they were going because it was on the
way home from work, close to the house, etc...

I agree the seating at Bwood wasn't that great. But no where in the area is built to hold that many people at a baseball game...at the high school level anyway.
Besides that, the coaches may have been going off last years attendance at the region final in Manvel where the WC side never did fill up.

Necks88Fan
06-01-2012, 02:32 PM
You ain't fooling me..I know about you Village people. Lance is destined for the fyin' pan!

Hmmm, what you thinking, deep fried or smothered in gravy. You know us coonass folk will make a meal out of anything that swims, walks, fly's or crawls. :crazy1:

baseballcoach13
06-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Hmmm, what you thinking, deep fried or smothered in gravy. You know us coonass folk will make a meal out of anything that swims, walks, fly's or crawls. :crazy1:

HA!!! Lance better do his hitting dance tomorrow or he won't like the outcome!

SHSBulldog00
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
There are 3 places in the area that would have sufficient seating for a game of this magnitude.

And at all three of these places you would have a drop in attendance due to the distance. I know I talked to at least 15 people that said they were going because it was on the

I agree the seating at Bwood wasn't that great. But no where in the area is built to hold that many people at a baseball game...at the high school level anyway.
Besides that, the coaches may have been going off last years attendance at the region final in Manvel where the WC side never did fill up.

Wonder if the attendance will drop on Saturday due to the limited space?

Roughneck93
06-01-2012, 09:58 PM

How many times can you say "he pastes that one...."

And they had the dates and locations wrong for state Tournament.

Bobby Williamson is not the head coach at Bwood....its Williams.

I think they are out of Pearland....

Here's an alternative for the rest of the series....

http://www.legacysportsnetwork.com/Audio/2011-2012/Baseball/TPBS/tpbs.htm

yellaseeker
06-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Wonder if the attendance will drop on Saturday due to the limited space?

I think so but, JMO. After it got spread around about how crowded it was, i don't expect many new spectators and, i'm sure there will be a number of people who will stay home and listen to the broadcast and catch updates on the web, including me. Add in the fact that it's gonna be hotter than hell at 2:00-2:30 which is when you better get there by to be one of the sardines, and I think the numbers will fall off.

yellaseeker
06-01-2012, 11:21 PM

I understand the somewhat local big parks were either too expensive or booked but still, there had to be a better alternative than this. I think B-port may or may not have as much actual bleechers but would accomodate more people as far as the layout. Was Alvin an option and what size is it? Personally, I would rather have drove a little distance if i had to for better accomodation. I'd gladly drive to Victoria, Weimar or someplace like that. You mentioned last years turnout at the finals but, the softball team was still playing so that had spectators split up and the other thing is, this year it's between two rivals that always, and will always, pack the house. Not starting an argument with you at all but, it was not done right and they know it. Sounds like either something political played a part or they simply looked at a profit margin or possibly both. No matter what, it's unacceptable. Probably just a rumor and won't say which one but i overheard someone saying they thought one of the coaches may be looking at a possible career move to Bwood.

SHSBulldog00
06-02-2012, 10:21 AM
http://youtu.be/j8WP7aOD_9Q

baseballcoach13
06-02-2012, 12:24 PM
I understand the somewhat local big parks were either too expensive or booked but still, there had to be a better alternative than this. I think B-port may or may not have as much actual bleechers but would accomodate more people as far as the layout. Was Alvin an option and what size is it? Personally, I would rather have drove a little distance if i had to for better accomodation. I'd gladly drive to Victoria, Weimar or someplace like that. You mentioned last years turnout at the finals but, the softball team was still playing so that had spectators split up and the other thing is, this year it's between two rivals that always, and will always, pack the house. Not starting an argument with you at all but, it was not done right and they know it. Sounds like either something political played a part or they simply looked at a profit margin or possibly both. No matter what, it's unacceptable. Probably just a rumor and won't say which one but i overheard someone saying they thought one of the coaches may be looking at a possible career move to Bwood.

1. I would imagine Alvin was open due to the time of year. Seats more than Bwood by a little bit I think, but I dont think it allows for the fans along the fence. I may be wrong on that one, I know they updated facilities and not sure how the foul lines are.

2. You would drive distance to see the team, but there were a lot of people there that wouldn't have. Anyone go to Sinton last year for game 1 of the region finals?

3. Usually softball is a week ahead of baseball and playing in the state tournament the week of baseball region finals and I think the WC softball team got beat in the region finals right? So I think they were done playing during the region finals of baseball last year, and Sweeny's softball team was in Austin. I very well may be wrong on that point.

4. There is just no perfect option for facitlities for this game. I agree it wasn't great, but knowing all the factors that go into it, Bwood was as good as any.

5. I can say with 100% certainty that the decision was NOT political. BOth coaches know they have it made where they are, with talent coming up the pipeline that will produce winners for several years to come. I would call that just what you said.....a rumor.

6. As far as today's attendance let me quote Yogi...."Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."

Roughneck93
06-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Not nearly as many fans here today as there was on Thursday.

Roughneck93
06-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Dogs lead in game two....
3-2

End 4th

Roughneck93
06-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Dogs win 4-3.

Congrats on a great season Roughnecks!

Good luck in Austin Sweeny.

Phil C
06-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Congratulations to Columbia for a great season and best of luck to Sweeny in Austin.

YTBulldogs
06-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Well done Sweeny and go get'em at state.

Super season Columbia.

SHSBulldog00
06-02-2012, 10:12 PM
http://youtu.be/_SEULZIHru0

Tejastrue
06-02-2012, 11:15 PM
http://youtu.be/_SEULZIHru0

Man..you could have at least posted the Dire Straits video with the full version..:bigcry:One of my all time favorites..Congrats Sweeny..aint no stoppin you now..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuAZTWGfQTs

SHSBulldog00
06-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Man..you could have at least posted the Dire Straits video with the full version..:bigcry:One of my all time favorites..Congrats Sweeny..aint no stoppin you now..

Here you go

http://youtu.be/8Pa9x9fZBtY

yellaseeker
06-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Not nearly as many fans here today as there was on Thursday.

Hmmm, can't imagine why! Simply pathetic!!!
On a positive note, congrat's to Columbia for a very successful season and back to back regional finals. And, good luck to our rival bulldogs in the hunt for the state title. You guys had better not come back without that damn ring, seriously!

mudhen
06-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Got to say there yella. I think the first part of your name explains it all. Quit being bitter and be happy that those boys from both sides of the river did so well. No one said that u had to go to bwood and the way it seems everyone is better off without your input because you have no clue. The only pathetic thing is that these kids play their hearts out just to listen to you whine.

Roughneck93
06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Hmmm, can't imagine why! Simply pathetic!!!
On a positive note, congrat's to Columbia for a very successful season and back to back regional finals. And, good luck to our rival bulldogs in the hunt for the state title. You guys had better not come back without that damn ring, seriously!

Don't get me wrong, the place was still packed. It just wasn't the crazy scene like Thursday night. There was still some room for fans on our side if they happened to show up late.

yellaseeker
06-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Got to say there yella. I think the first part of your name explains it all. Quit being bitter and be happy that those boys from both sides of the river did so well. No one said that u had to go to bwood and the way it seems everyone is better off without your input because you have no clue. The only pathetic thing is that these kids play their hearts out just to listen to you whine.

I think it's pretty obvious that i'm am very happy for both teams. Why are you taking it personal that i'm unhappy with the venue that this series took place at. Did you have some decision in it or maybe someone near and dear to your heart did, maybe kinfolk? Your are right, that i had the liberty of not attending, in which i chose to listen in and did not attend the second game. Just like you had the liberty not to run your mouth about my view of the circumstances. So why is my opinion of the way this series was set up any less valid than what you think of me pointing it out. Funny you say i have no clue, when "you" have "no clue" about me, other than what you have read. You got one thing right for sure, these kids do play their damn heart out. And that's what aggrevates me the most because, the parents, friends of the kids and their families, business people who sponsor/make donations/buy auction items, people who volunteer in booster clubs and even the folks that have no involvement other than being a faithfull fan who travels and buys a ticket at every game, all deserve to watch those kids get what they have worked hard for. These programs have a short life without everyone who is involved. Like I stated before, I may be the only one speaking out but I'm damn sure not the only one displeased with the ordeal. People can hate on me for having the nuts to put it out there all they want, it matters not to me. I knew when I posted it that I would immediately get slack over it but, It needed to be said and just maybe, the right people have read it. Catch ya later, Water Turkey.

SHSBulldog00
06-03-2012, 10:26 PM
If I had a vote Columbia would be #5 or better in the end of the season poll.

Saggy Aggie
06-03-2012, 10:28 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that i'm am very happy for both teams. Why are you taking it personal that i'm unhappy with the venue that this series took place at. Did you have some decision in it or maybe someone near and dear to your heart did, maybe kinfolk? Your are right, that i had the liberty of not attending, in which i chose to listen in and did not attend the second game. Just like you had the liberty not to run your mouth about my view of the circumstances. So why is my opinion of the way this series was set up any less valid than what you think of me pointing it out. Funny you say i have no clue, when "you" have "no clue" about me, other than what you have read. You got one thing right for sure, these kids do play their damn heart out. And that's what aggrevates me the most because, the parents, friends of the kids and their families, business people who sponsor/make donations/buy auction items, people who volunteer in booster clubs and even the folks that have no involvement other than being a faithfull fan who travels and buys a ticket at every game, all deserve to watch those kids get what they have worked hard for. These programs have a short life without everyone who is involved. Like I stated before, I may be the only one speaking out but I'm damn sure not the only one displeased with the ordeal. People can hate on me for having the nuts to put it out there all they want, it matters not to me. I knew when I posted it that I would immediately get slack over it but, It needed to be said and just maybe, the right people have read it. Catch ya later, Water Turkey. again?

Really?

Manso/V8
06-03-2012, 11:04 PM
"you" have "no clue" about me

no comment.

yellaseeker
06-03-2012, 11:32 PM
again?

Really?

Oopsey!! :evilgrin:

YTBulldogs
06-04-2012, 05:59 AM
If I had a vote Columbia would be #5 or better in the end of the season poll.

You said that to us after our drumming. LOL. Kidding. I agree with your latest statement SHS. Hope to see ya Weds? I got your cell number.