PDA

View Full Version : DI, DII, DIII, NAIA Colleges

defense51
05-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Can anyone 3ADL members in the know help me understand the differences in these four as far as scholarships (academic & athletic) and the athletic programs. My daughter has been contacted by a couple of DII and three DIII coaches about playing soccer for them. I new to this and in need of as much good information as I can get. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Gone Fishing
05-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Can anyone 3ADL members in the know help me understand the differences in these four as far as scholarships (academic & athletic) and the athletic programs. My daughter has been contacted by a couple of DII and three DIII coaches about playing soccer for them. I new to this and in need of as much good information as I can get. Thanks for any info you can provide!

My understanding, and I am a little new to it also, is that DI,II and NAIA can give athletic scholarships. DIII can not give athletic scholarships, but can get the athletes money through academic scholarships and grants and work study, etc. The DIII schools will be asking a lot more questions and verifications of grades and SAT and ACT scores, etc.

NastySlot
05-25-2012, 09:47 PM

NAIA not part of NCAA so different rules. Had few kids go play D2 that got a little scholly money for athletics but received more for their grades.

defense51
05-25-2012, 11:06 PM
I've been researching as much as I can, and read that DIII didn't offer athletic scholarships but had tuition assistance packages, so I'm guessing that's kind of the same just can't give it for athletic reasons only.

LH Panther Mom
05-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Division I:
Financial aid: Division I institutions must offer a minimum amount of financial aid but may not exceed established maximums. Football Bowl Subdivision football, men’s and women’s basketball, women’s gymnastics, women’s volleyball and women’s tennis are considered head-count sports for financial aid purposes in Division I. Financial aid equivalencies (one grant-in-aid package divided into smaller pieces) may be offered in all other sports.

Division II:
Financial Aid: Very few of the 100,000 student-athletes competing in Division II receive a full athletics grant that covers all of their expenses, but most of them will receive some financial aid to help them through school. For the rest of their expenses, student-athletes are on their own—using academic scholarships, student loans and employment earnings just like most other students attending the Division II institution. This healthy partnership is the essence of Division II, where student-athletes are valued for their athletics contribution and for being an important part of the overall student body.
Division II also provides an intersection where athletically gifted students can compete at a high level, while maintaining much of a traditional student experience. Excellent outcomes come from athletics programs that are properly aligned with the educational mission of the institution. This balance is what distinguishes Division II from the others, and this philosophy is at the heart of all decisions made by the division's governing bodies.

Division III:

Division III colleges and universities do not award financial aid based on athletics ability, but you may be eligible to receive academic scholarships or need-based financial aid. It is important to understand several points about athletics scholarships.

NAIA:
Financial aid is set by each college, with limits on numbers for each sport.

Your best bet would be to download the "Guide for the College-Bound Student Athlete" from NCAA.org and the "NAIA Guide for the College Bound Student Athlete" from NAIA.org.There is a ton of invaluable info there. What grade is she in? Attending a DIII college is a little different, since they set their own admission standards, but for DI & DII, she would need to be registered with NCAA eligibility center or NAIA eligibility for that level.

Hope any of this helps. Best of luck to her!

defense51
05-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Thank you for the info LH Panther Mom, she will be a senior next year. We've had a couple of coaches talk to her at some of the showcase tournaments, but in the last month three have contacted her coaches and emailed her wanting her schedule and inviting her to their summer camps. So now it's starting to be a reality, and I want to be as knowledgeable as possible to help her get the best education and lowest financial burden once she graduates.

Rabid Cougar
05-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Be aware, even if you have a "Full Ride" , it does not cover everything. If they live in the dorm and eat on the meal plan you are pretty much taken care of but they will still require expense money. If they live off campus, they are provided a set amount of money to live on just like a salary. ANd if they have never lived on a budget, then there is a big learning curve, not necessarily your kid, but those they live with. You need to ask questions about limited budgets for summer school attendance too.

Don't take me wrong. Scholarships take LOTS of financial burdens away. There are just small things that jump up now and again that catch you unaware. Depending on where your athlete goes to school and it conference , you are also looking at travel that makes high school travel look like a trip to the grocery store.

It is an awesome experience and wouldn't trade it for the world... probably just a bit more enlightened going in.

VWG
05-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Good info from Rabid Cougar.
Here's another couple of things to look at.
HS athletics is a walk in the park compared to college. I have seen countless number of kids go to "play at the next level", and then end up transferring, dropping athletics altogether, etc...
College coaches don't have to coddle the stud HS athlete like HS coaches do. The majority of kids at D II, D III, or NAIA are great athletes. Competition is fierce for playing time. Within the past two years I have seen a kid sign a D I scholarship, and another sign a JUCO D I (yes Texas has two level of JUCO) and both are out of playing athletics now.
Think about what is best academically for your kid. Don't let the sports dream engulf 100% of why you choose that school.
I also knew an athlete who had offers to play at D II school, passed it up for an academic ride at a Big 12 school. Tough decision because he was QB for playoff team, district MVP, two sport star, etc.... all set aside to pursue his academics, and quite frankly once he graduates he should be set with a good career after choosing the path and university that he did.

Just remember, think about the entire college experience, and also remember that during recruiting those college coaches sometimes may tell you what you want to here to get you there.
As one athlete told me after his first football season, where he did play on special teams at a D III school. "During my visits they always told me how much potential I have and how great it would be for me to be there, and then as soon as practice starts they act like they want to run you off campus."
Sure, it's a weed out process for those coaches that bring in tons of kids and then have to cut them, but this kid found out (and he's on the team and getting some playing time) that the difference between HS ball and college ball are vastly different.

defense51
05-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the good info everyone, as a parent I'm more interested in the education aspect than athletic. I keep reminding her to look at it as would you want to go to school there if you weren't playing soccer. The three local (more or less) schools are Mary Hardin Baylor, Dallas Baptist, and McMurry all of which provide an excellent education. I don't think she will have a problem with the workload or physical aspect, she's been playing select soccer since she was 11 and has always earned her way to more playing time with each team she's been with. I'm not financially wealthy so without some type of scholarship we're looking at student loans, and I would like to avoid having her $30,000-$60,000 in debt when she graduates. I appreciate everyone's input, it's kind of a cool issue to be dealing with.

mwynn05
05-26-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't think she will have a problem with the workload or physical aspect, she's been playing select soccer since she was 11 and has always earned her way to more playing time with each team she's been with. lol, you can say the same thing about every other kid playing college sports

defense51
05-26-2012, 07:16 PM
lol, you can say the same thing about every other kid playing college sportsYou're probably right, and I may be wrong about her she might get a taste of it and change her mind. But at this point I don't think she will, she's the type that decides to do something and then makes it happen. She's very determined, and I understand people and situations change. I'm just looking for info as this is the first time I've dealt with this and I'm somewhat ignorant to the whole college athlete recruiting process.

LH Panther Mom
05-26-2012, 10:36 PM
I keep reminding her to look at it as would you want to go to school there if you weren't playing soccer.
That's a great plan!

gatordaze
05-27-2012, 09:38 AM
That's a great plan!

Also note that Junior Colleges work the same way as 4 year in that D1 Juco's are "fully funded" and offer full scholarships. My daughter plays volleyball for Polk State in FL and is on a full scholarship juts like a D1 4 year. Another benefit for her is that once she gets her AA from a state funded Florida Junior College, she is automatically admitted to any state funded 4 year university in Florida and she is then considered in state from a tuition perspective. This is a great way to get in to a school like Florida with almost impossible admission standards.

defense51
05-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Thank you gatordaze, I was not aware of the Juco situation. That's why I put this on here, I knew they were members on here that had dealt with this and could give me some info that would help. There are definitely alot more avenues available than I was aware of.