PDA

View Full Version : Bass Fishing as a HS sport

Emerson1
05-25-2012, 09:57 AM
It is in Kentucky now

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/kentucky-becomes-second-state-bass-fishing-high-school-185906709.html

Gone Fishing
05-25-2012, 10:02 AM
It is in Kentucky now

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/kentucky-becomes-second-state-bass-fishing-high-school-185906709.html

I'm all for it, Bring it to Texas. I would like to be a bass fishing coach. Do you have to have a teaching degree?

Rabid Cougar
05-25-2012, 11:14 AM
I mean really, a human being trying to entice an overweight female fish with the brain the size of peanut to eat.
How different is that than guys trolling bars to pick up hefty women with pizza and beer?

kaorder1999
05-25-2012, 11:31 AM
crandall already has a fishing team

Cam
05-25-2012, 12:38 PM
I mean really, a human being trying to entice an overweight female fish with the brain the size of peanut to eat.
How different is that than guys trolling bars to pick up hefty women with pizza and beer?

What's wrong with overweight fish or hefty women?.....I would consider either one to be very edible.....
A fishy's brain is only that size cause it's proportional to it's body.....fishy's ain't as dumb as you think....now human beings...that's another story......
I've not frequented a bar in years....are all women in bars considered hefty these days?......
Some hefty women may not like pizza or beer.......does that mean some guys go home with a full belly and blue balls?:thinking:

FB-fanatic
05-25-2012, 12:43 PM
I have heard Lorena is doing it next year.

Rabid Cougar
05-25-2012, 12:48 PM
What's wrong with overweight fish or hefty women?.....I would consider either one to be very edible.....
A fishy's brain is only that size cause it's proportional to it's body.....fishy's ain't as dumb as you think....now human beings...that's another story......
I've not frequented a bar in years....are all women in bars considered hefty these days?......
Some hefty women may not like pizza or beer.......does that mean some guys go home with a full belly and blue balls?:thinking:

Maybe Old Tiger will know the answers to these ponderings.

lostaussie
05-25-2012, 01:02 PM
i wonder if they need to buy some boats?:thinking:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Looks fun, but if Port Isabel wants to get in on the act, the UIL would need to form a Saltwater division as there is no real freshwater fishing holes near there.

AP Panther Fan
05-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Looks fun, but if Port Isabel wants to get in on the act, the UIL would need to form a Saltwater division as there is no real freshwater fishing holes near there.

Great idea. The UIL should consider this. Fishing is alot like golf and tennis, a sport you can participate in for many years after high school or college. I think it would also be a sport that the "not so athletically inclined" could become involved in and it would make such a positive impact on their lives.

What's that old saying, "Give a man a fish and he won't starve for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he won't starve for his entire life."

defense51
05-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Talk about a sweet coaching gig! :2thumbsup:

Manso/V8
05-25-2012, 04:39 PM
A much better idea than high school soccer.

AP Panther Fan
05-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Just think they could learn some of the lesser used forms of fishing like fly-fishing, wade-fishing, kayak-fishing, learn to tie their own lures/catch their own bait, learn CPR....boys and girls could compete against each other and/or be on a team together....tournaments would be a blast.

Why did Illinois and Kentucky think of this first...lol!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-25-2012, 06:44 PM
As far as saltwater fishing is concerned, what are some of the big fishing tournaments that go on through the course of the year? The only one I'm aware of is TIFT down in Port Isabel every year, 1st weekend in August.

And btw, I've already "planted the seed" with some of the kids down in Port Isabel and there is already interest. And yes, being the Head Fishing Coach has a nice ring to it and sounds like it would be one really sweet gig to have.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Rank the Fishing teams!!! (Saltwater only, I couldn't give a rat's rectum about freshwater fishing)

1. Port Isabel - Easy access for multiple types of fishing.
2. Aransas Pass - Easy access to Port Aransas
3. Rockport-Fulton - Easy access to some terrific bay fishing @ Rockport
4. Raymondville - Even though it's a little inland, they are about 10 miles from Port Mansfield, TX (which is also in their school district)
5. La Marque - Close access to Galveston Bay
6. Rio Hondo - An odd pick, but they have access to the Arroyo Colorado. It's a Fresh/Salt mix with some HUGE speckled trout caught out of it.

I can't think of any more right now. I was thinking maybe Palacios, Ingleside, Hitchcock but I'm not as familiar with the areas of the coast between Rockport and Galveston. Also, I only mentioned 3A schools for the sake of this being a 3A board.

VWG
05-26-2012, 01:21 PM
:ditto:

AP Panther Fan
05-27-2012, 07:51 AM
Okay, Houston we have a problem. AP dropped to 2a, along with Mathis, last re-alignment. We missed it by 3 or 4 kids. If me or my neighbor had a few more mouths to feed we wouldn't be having this conversation...anyway, Ingleside, AP, Port A, Rockport all have great bay fishing and easy access to the Gulf. I need to give this school classification more thought and is it really necessary in a sport like fishing? I will ponder this while I work in my yard today as it beats thinking about weeds. :)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-27-2012, 01:30 PM
You know, you may be right. Since the only schools that would be interested in participating in the Saltwater division would be limited to schools nearest to the Gulf Coast, classification shouldn't matter in this case.

Now for the Freshwater division, that pretty much covers the rest of the state, and as such, the classifications should be implemented in that case.