PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Prospects for football

Dave-O
01-21-2003, 07:27 PM
Hey I was just wondering what evryone thought about this 2003 season. who do you think will be the best? give you top ten and maybe why.
1.Burnet
2.Everman
3.Forney
4.Jasper
5.Bridge City
6.Sinton
7.Marlin
8.Bandera
9.Dangerfield
10.and for no reason i Choose Sommerset Home of Big A$$ ( not many know him)

Bellville22
01-21-2003, 07:41 PM
From what I hear, Bandera will drop a bit. Think they have quite a few graduating from the State Champ team.

Burnet will be very good, as you have them.

Everman is always good.

Marlin will be strong again, and pretty hungry.

Bellville will be as good, probably better than last year. They return pretty much every skill pos. and 3 or 4 linemen. Should be a pre-season Top 10.

bc 76
01-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Why is bridge city ranked so high,and i thought sinton lost alot of starters from 2002 team?

topdawg
01-21-2003, 08:05 PM
1.burnet
2.forney
3.everman
4.daingerfield
5.marlin

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-21-2003, 08:37 PM
Dave-O:

1.Burnet
2.Everman
3.Forney
4.Jasper
5.Bridge City
6.Sinton
7.Marlin
8.Bandera
9.Dangerfield
10.and for no reason i Choose Sommerset Home of Big A$$ ( not many know him)I agree with your top 3. I'm not sure about Jasper. I understand graduation is going to do a little bit of a number on them. They'll still be in my top 10, but not as high as 4. Bridge City is always good, but don't think they're top 5 material. Sinton is good at 6. I'd move Marlin up to 5. Bandera, Daingerfield, and Somerset need to go. (besides, what are you smoking??? Somerset???)

Here is my Top 10. And I will also add some extra that deserve mention.

1. Burnet (will be unstoppable)
2. Forney (tired of losing to Everman)
3. Everman (dynasty has been born)
4. Marlin (return decent numbers)
5. Bellville (most starters returning)
6. La Grange (major speed and great talent)
7. Rice Consolidated (nearly whole team returning, 10 off. and 10 def. if I remember correct)
8. Port Isabel (8 off. and 7 def. starters, along with GREAT team speed and a huge chip on their shoulder)
9. Sinton (graduation will do a number on them, but will still be good)
10.Midland Greenwood (Just because I like them, and they handled themselves well with the situation with D'field)

Mention - Daingerfield, Bridge City, Jasper, CC West Oso, Orange Grove, Sweetwater, Commerce, Celina.

And yes, Keith7, NO GAINESVILLE!!!!!!!!!!

<small>[ January 23, 2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: TarponFanInNorthTexas ]</small>

3afan08
01-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Go Forney

etcoach
01-21-2003, 11:03 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas,
How do figure Daingerfield has to go? They went to the semifinal this year. They return 7 offensive and 6 defensive starters, 26 lettermen and good group of sophomores that lost 1 game. Look for them to be strong again in '03.

big daddy russ
01-22-2003, 03:09 AM
1. Ingleside
2. Burnet
3. Forney
4. Marlin
5. Everman
6. Altair Rice Consolidated
7. Decatur
8. Bellville
9. LaGrange
10. Port Isabel
11. Midland Greenwood

Yeah, I think that Daingerfield will be in the mix like they are every year. And Atlanta will be up there, too, as will Jasper, Commerce and Celina. Sinton's also a top-20 team, but I think they slide a little from the teams they've had the past couple of years. 2004's their year. Ingleside will win the 2003 state championship. :D :D :D

<small>[ January 22, 2003, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

ej2525
01-22-2003, 08:47 AM
I know Jasper will be hit hard by graduation & I am not sure what they have behind the 30 something seniors they will be losing. Bridge City will be a playoff contending team as in past years. But, I am not sure how strong they will be because they have lost some key players in the past couple of years to graduation. (My 2 cents for what it's worth)

Pudlugger
01-22-2003, 09:12 AM
TarponFanInNorthTexas
Here is my Top 10. And I will also add some extra that deserve mention.

1. Burnet
2. Forney
3. Everman
4. Marlin
5. Jasper
6. La Grange
7. Sinton
8. Port Isabel
9. Midland Greenwood
10.Rice Consolidated

Mention - Daingerfield, Bridge City, Bellville, CC West Oso, Orange Grove, Sweetwater, Commerce, Celina.

And yes, Keith7, NO GAINESVILLE!!!!!!!!!![/QB]TFINT is pretty close with this top 10. The only thing I would change is to exchange Bellville with Jasper. Bellville is loaded with returning starters from a great 2002 team so no way you can keep them out of the top 10 while Jasper loses most of their big guns to graduation. Also think my La Grange Leopards will finish high (perhaps number three or four next year) as they are returning almost all their skill players, including entire defensive secondary offensive backfield, both tight ends, and District 24 MVP quarterback Anderle (12 starters :7 defense 5 offense). La Grange is 48-9 the past 4 seasons and the seniors leading this team have played in 15 play-off games in their 3 seasons as underclassmen at La Grange and have experience and confidence in the play-off atmosphere. Also, the Leps will be fast next year. :cool:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-22-2003, 09:55 AM
etcoach:
TarponFanInNorthTexas,
How do figure Daingerfield has to go? They went to the semifinal this year. They return 7 offensive and 6 defensive starters, 26 lettermen and good group of sophomores that lost 1 game. Look for them to be strong again in '03.After that big ol' rumble they started with Midland Greenwood, I lost a lot of respect for Daingerfield. Besides, I know of a few good teams that are returning bigger numbers than Daingerfield that simply get overlooked, like Port Isabel, and Altair Rice Consolidated. Both Rice Consolidated and Port Isabel gave the Div. 2 state champs Bandera all they could handle in the area round and regional semi-final round respectively. Besides, there IS a Region 4 other than Burnet and Sinton.

Pudlugger
01-22-2003, 10:45 AM
[/QUOTE]After that big ol' rumble they started with Midland Greenwood, I lost a lot of respect for Daingerfield. Besides, I know of a few good teams that are returning bigger numbers than Daingerfield that simply get overlooked, like Port Isabel, and Altair Rice Consolidated. Both Rice Consolidated and Port Isabel gave the Div. 2 state champs Bandera all they could handle in the area round and regional semi-final round respectively. Besides, there IS a Region 4 other than Burnet and Sinton.[/QB][/QUOTE]
TFINT you are correct, Region 4 is much more competetive than folks have been willing to acknowledge. Bandara proved that very convincingly didn't they? La Grange has been in both regions the past few seasons and I can say that region 4 is very competetive once you get into round two or three in the play-offs. All regions have their weak districts, not just region 4. The past few seasons you have had Burnet, Sinton, PI, Yoakum, La Grange , Rice , Bellville and Bandara all excellent teams competting at the top of the pile. :)

spiveyrat
01-22-2003, 01:04 PM
I hate to admit it, but I don't know if Jasper will be top ten team next year. We'll just have to see how their early games go. The quarterback will have big shoes to fill. On a positive note, the 2nd and 3rd strings got a lot of playing time in '02, so the experience could prove to be a positive for them. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

audasmom7
01-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Daingerfield.. Before Greenwood.. I dont think so...Was you at the game?
Still mazes me...no respect LOL

audasmom7
01-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Daingerfield.. Before Greenwood.. I dont think so...Was you at the game?
Still amazes me...no respect LOL

BULLDOGFAN
01-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Region 4 was incredibly tough. Bandera played some very tough teams and after being in Burnet's district I could not imagine tougher teams then what we played this year. Especialy Greenwood and Rice. But it all boils down to a little luck, good matchups, and no injuries that make a difference.

I think in Bandera's case, the maturity level of having all of those Seniors vs. young teams made the difference in a few key games..

Bandera could have easily beat Liberty Hill in district, came out in second place over all and played a much different set of matchups.

Either way, it was a great year against great teams.

jason
01-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Go Forney...already lookin Forward to Forney vs Everman III

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-22-2003, 03:32 PM
BULLDOGFAN:
Region 4 was incredibly tough. Bandera played some very tough teams and after being in Burnet's district I could not imagine tougher teams then what we played this year. Especialy Greenwood and Rice. But it all boils down to a little luck, good matchups, and no injuries that make a difference.

I think in Bandera's case, the maturity level of having all of those Seniors vs. young teams made the difference in a few key games..

Bandera could have easily beat Liberty Hill in district, came out in second place over all and played a much different set of matchups.

Either way, it was a great year against great teams.Hey Rick, I have a couple of questions for you. 1. How does Liberty Hill look for next season?

and 2. Why do you seem to hate Port Isabel so much now? Just seems that here recently all you've done to your high school alma mater is disrespect it. Was there something that I, or someone from Port Isabel did to hurt you in any way? And in the first part of your post, when you say "Especially Greenwood and Rice".......where's Port Isabel in there? Defensively, Port Isabel gave Bandera a much better game than Rice did so why mention Rice, who Bandera beat 37-34 instead of Port Isabel? (27-24)

Besides, you are very right about one thing. Luck has a lot to do with winning a championship. Missle and Lando Ochoa have a copy of the PI/Bandera game waiting for me next time I go to Port Isabel. Once I do that, any 3A Downlow member from the D/FW area is more than welcome to come by my place and watch the film because it was one hell of a game that easily could have ended in several different ways.

Old Cardinal
01-22-2003, 04:39 PM
To Dave O, who started this thread:....I think Bridge City is a little high in your ranking, for starting the year. If Coach Tarver, can bring them around, as usual, that might be a fair rating when POST season begins. Bridge City is one year away from an awesome team, and will be developing a stout, fast Soph. and JR. laden team this coming season. They are a Playoff Team in their preparation techniques, training mature depth of around 30 players through Preseason and District. Who really cares if you lose a few preseasons because you played good teams and even if you JUST make the playoffs? The goal is to be able to "junk yard dog" your way at least 3 or 4 rounds in the playoffs every year, by being able to freely substitute without losing your overall effectiveness. Many times that's the key to winning in the playoffs. Tarver, will carry them as far as their talent will carry them next season, whatever that is. But, somebody better be ready to play, when they face his teams in the next two seasons.

etcoach
01-22-2003, 09:41 PM
audasmom

I was at the game. No disrespect at all, but I saw a 3-0 defensive struggle that could have gone either way. Two key plays (the fake punt by DF and the trick play by MG) turned momentum seriously in Greenwood's favor. Yes, I know that those kinds of things seperate teams that deep in the playoffs, and I don't know what MG has coming back, but I don't see it as a sign of disrespect for DF being listed before MG, just as would not for MG to be listed before DF.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Ok, I edited my Top 10. Put Bellville in there, and put Jasper in the "mention" group. Also added comments next to each in the top 10. Let me know what you think of this Top 10.

RBARKER
01-23-2003, 02:23 PM
Here is the final 10 for 2002 per the Data poll. This should be a pretty good prospect list for 2003.

# Power MR Team W L PF PA Dist
1 121.2 3.64 Everman 14 1 732 133 8-3A
2 118.0 3.62 Burnet 14 1 572 215 25-3A
3 116.0 3.12 Forney 12 2 423 178 13-3A
4 114.8 3.23 Midland Greenwood 15 1 442 168 4-3A
5 115.1 3.08 Marlin 11 3 409 193 18-3A
6 115.9 2.84 Jasper 11 3 496 118 20-3A
7 114.0 3.02 Sinton 12 1 453 120 30-3A
8 112.8 3.21 Bandera 13 3 565 354 25-3A
9 112.6 2.91 Daingerfield 12 3 359 169 12-3A
10 112.9 2.73 Atlanta 9 4 240 154 12-3A

BULLDOGFAN
01-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Hey Rick, I have a couple of questions for you. 1. How does Liberty Hill look for next season?

and 2. Why do you seem to hate Port Isabel so much now? Just seems that here recently all you've done to your high school alma mater is disrespect it. Was there something that I, or someone from Port Isabel did to hurt you in any way? And in the first part of your post, when you say "Especially Greenwood and Rice".......where's Port Isabel in there? Defensively, Port Isabel gave Bandera a much better game than Rice did so why mention Rice, who Bandera beat 37-34 instead of Port Isabel? (27-24)

Besides, you are very right about one thing. Luck has a lot to do with winning a championship. Missle and Lando Ochoa have a copy of the PI/Bandera game waiting for me next time I go to Port Isabel. Once I do that, any 3A Downlow member from the D/FW area is more than welcome to come by my place and watch the film because it was one hell of a game that easily could have ended in several different ways. Come on Kenny, I have no problem with Port Isabel. I just think we played tougher teams then them.

Port Isabel intimidated Bandera more with the size of it's crowd then it's team. The game was never really in doubt after the second quarter. I know you guys think different, but that is what it is all about.

I hope Port Isabel does well next year but their size just isn't there to carry them all the way through the playoffs. There are some very big boys once you go further north. And the poundings get really rough.

As for Liberty Hill, don't know much about them. That mis-direction Wish Bone style offense was the only offense that gave Bandera a hard time this year. We should have beat them. Greenwood used it also.

Also, tell Lando to start counting the players before he punts. REMEMBER 11 on the feild... Just joking, could't resist:)

crzyjournalist03
01-24-2003, 09:47 AM
Definetely be on the lookout for Forney next season, but expect to see a little different team next year than what we've become accustomed to seeing. Next year is supposedly going to be the year that Forney opens up the passing game. Caleb Hanie will be a senior, and he could very well be one of the top QB prospects in Texas with a good season. He's got huge size and great ability. I think he's going to be a special player for a long time.

There's also another rumored change for next season--a new uniform look. From what I've heard, Forney's uniforms will look somewhat like the Pittsburgh Steelers with yellow in them. I've also heard the possibility of going to gold pants. I don't know if there's any truth to these rumors, but I've heard a couple of players talk about it, and they seemed pretty excited.

duckbutter
01-24-2003, 10:25 AM
Little Ol Newton will be ready to rumble in their final yr of 3A football. This was a rebuilding yr for us and we were pretty banged up going into the playoffs. We will return all of our RBs, gaining some much needed OL and have a defense as good if not better than this years. I'm ready for the season to start today.

justafan_02
01-24-2003, 10:29 AM
I CANT BELIEVE U BELLVILLE PEOPLE DONT GET FAIRFIELD ANY RESPECT WHEN U ARE NAMING OFF TOUGH TEAMS IN 2003. THEY RETURN 7-7. THEY HELD YALL TO THE LOWEST POINTS ALL YEAR. THEY GAVE U THE TD WITH A FUMBLE. TERRIBLE MARK GAVE YALL 1ST AND GOAL. HOW ABOUT A LIL RESPECT??

Bellville22:
From what I hear, Bandera will drop a bit. Think they have quite a few graduating from the State Champ team.

Burnet will be very good, as you have them.

Everman is always good.

Marlin will be strong again, and pretty hungry.

Bellville will be as good, probably better than last year. They return pretty much every skill pos. and 3 or 4 linemen. Should be a pre-season Top 10.

Kool Tarpon 21
01-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Hey, I don't think size matters in anything. We were a lot and I mean A LOT smaller than Aransas Pass. I didn't want to say this, but the only reason Bandera actually beat us was because of the mistakes we made. You all suck. I don't even know how you all got past the round after you played us. Oh well, I guess you all were lucky. And it wasn't Lando's fault that you all blocked the punt. And honestly, I don't think you all are even gonna make it to the playoffs next year. I like being underestimated. Just keep on thinking that size is what matters. We got something you don't, that's heart. I didn't think you Bandera people were so ostentatious. I guess I was wrong. You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk? We'll see next year.

<small>[ January 24, 2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Kool Tarpon 21 ]</small>

Bellville22
01-24-2003, 11:34 AM
justafan_02: I apologize, I didn't do my homework, didn't realize y'all returned that many. You guys did have an excellent team and certainly earned this Bellville fan's respect. If key guys are returning on that defense, you guys can hang around with anybody.