PDA

View Full Version : How will the 2011 Football Final Four do in 2012

Gone Fishing
05-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Lets face it to get to the State Game you generally have built for a year or two to get there and loose some key players after that game. How will Chapel Hill , Wimberley, Avarado and Argyle do this year? How would you rank them in the top 20. Where do you think Dave Campbell or FNF will have them ranked. Will any team miss the top 10? top 20? Lets hear your thoughts......

Tejastrue
05-23-2012, 09:52 PM
I'd like to think these same teams would be ranked accordingly to how they finished until proven otherwise. Don't believe that will be the case. I do however believe Wimberley will be ranked around 11-15 to start. None of these teams will miss out and will all be in the top 15 with CH (simply because they are east Texas) :wave:in the top 5 and Argyle and Alvarado 6-10.

Txbroadcaster
05-23-2012, 10:33 PM
I dont believe in the they should be ranked at top because they won last year..to many things change..I doubt CH starts that high because they lost a ton.

Gone Fishing
05-23-2012, 10:45 PM
I'd like to think these same teams would be ranked accordingly to how they finished until proven otherwise. Don't believe that will be the case. I do however believe Wimberley will be ranked around 11-15 to start. None of these teams will miss out and will all be in the top 15 with CH (simply because they are east Texas) :wave:in the top 5 and Argyle and Alvarado 6-10.

I don't think Argyle should be ranked any higher than Wimberley, but they probably will be. CH and Alvarado might be top 5 or close. Wimberley won't get any love because on paper they lost so many seniors, but some of us Texan folk know whats being reloaded so they really might be very good again. They will have to count on a couple of really young players though. The best I can come up with is 3 starting returners on offense and 5 on defense (6 if safety wasn't moving over to QB)

I don't know much about CH and Alvarado. If you know let us know.....

Gsquared
05-24-2012, 07:34 AM
I think this will be alot of the discussion in Sideline to Sideline next week.

LionFan72
05-24-2012, 08:09 AM
I "think" each coach is faced with the challenge of his life each year in high school football. To even reach the playoffs each year is a testament to the coaches abilities to place the right people in the right positions, much less win championships. 2012 will bring many and new opportunites for success and failure, 3A football is the class of the field! Guaranteed the first poll will not look like the final poll, many surprises will be played out on Friday nights this year. Good luck, and an injury free season to all!

ogg
05-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Lets face it to get to the State Game you generally have built for a year or two to get there and loose some key players after that game. How will Chapel Hill , Wimberley, Avarado and Argyle do this year? How would you rank them in the top 20. Where do you think Dave Campbell or FNF will have them ranked. Will any team miss the top 10? top 20? Lets hear your thoughts......

When Campbell's magazine is released, ( end of June?) We'll probably be around 15th. Hard to rank a team with almost all new starters.

Gone Fishing
05-24-2012, 06:05 PM
When Campbell's magazine is released, ( end of June?) We'll probably be around 15th. Hard to rank a team with almost all new starters.

I agree. On paper Wimberley will have a hard time staying top 20. Many folks though, don't know how our great coaches coach. Many "non starters" played a boat load last year. So many underclassmen players rotating in, especially on D. Wimberley's front 8 on D is loaded. O line will be very good, running backs very very good. There will be a couple of surprises at receiver and DB (I hope). QB only has jr high, freshman, Jv experience but has the potential to be super. Complete different style than Brady the last two years. Great kicker and punter too.

I just looked at the Dave Campbell Winter edition and didn't realize that only Argyle was in the "early" top 10. No Wimberley, Alvarado or CH. Argyle was only like 9. I guess its possible that no final 4 team will make this years top 10.

regaleagle
05-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Argyle will have quite a few quality returning starters. A couple on the 0-line, a couple on the D-line, 2 good linebackers, and a couple of corners. Also have a very good reciever and rb that played lots of minutes last year, and of course we have Sadler and our kicker Hedland. Not a bad group, and that don't even count a bunch that subbed or played special teams all last year. Heck most of em played at least a full quarter each game(the subs). Now worries maties, Argyle will probably go D1, which I see as a definite advantage for us in Region 2 this upcoming year.

Tejastrue
05-24-2012, 09:52 PM
I agree. On paper Wimberley will have a hard time staying top 20. Many folks though, don't know how our great coaches coach. Many "non starters" played a boat load last year. So many underclassmen players rotating in, especially on D. Wimberley's front 8 on D is loaded. O line will be very good, running backs very very good. There will be a couple of surprises at receiver and DB (I hope). QB only has jr high, freshman, Jv experience but has the potential to be super. Complete different style than Brady the last two years. Great kicker and punter too.

I just looked at the Dave Campbell Winter edition and didn't realize that only Argyle was in the "early" top 10. No Wimberley, Alvarado or CH. Argyle was only like 9. I guess its possible that no final 4 team will make this years top 10.

So what you are saying is.. if our defense can hold their own early and often then just maybe the offense will gel in time for the playoffs to make a deep run? What style would you say the QB will bring? Just to add..you know on paper...we should not have won the SC last year. I've never put too much emphasis on the paper thing.

Gone Fishing
05-24-2012, 10:55 PM
So what you are saying is.. if our defense can hold their own early and often then just maybe the offense will gel in time for the playoffs to make a deep run? What style would you say the QB will bring? Just to add..you know on paper...we should not have won the SC last year. I've never put too much emphasis on the paper thing.

What I mean "on Paper" is not many returners that started. Who started the game at a lot of positions for Wimberley is not that big of a deal to us because the way Nelms and Smith rotate players and how many formations we run. An example of what I say is Colby Kelly could be considered not a returning starter on offense, but you and I know not only is he a starter in our eyes he may be the best running back we have had since Buse. (but Wilson was the "starter") Same example could be made with King on defense, Guidery and Kothman were the "starters" on DL, but King might be the best defensive tackle we have had in a while and rotated in all year and a lot more in the playoffs all game long and made key plays against CS and Argyle. A few other positions, the same thing. Thats why I think we will not get rated as good or high as we really are, they put so much into returning starters when its hard to tell for Wimberley sometimes who is the starters returning.

I think the QB is much faster on the roll outs and can throw real well on the run. Quick release on throws, faster pace on plays. I think you will see Jones checking and going to the 2nd 3rd or even 4th receiver than before. Lambert might have been more of a take off up the middle type runner (195 lbs) where Jones might be a more take off outside type runner (170 lbs) especially on roll out pass plays. Kelly, Morris and Jones have been playing together since 7th grade, their timing and smoothness running plays and screens will show big time.

I still think the big keys are finding the right safety to take Jones place and the right DBs at the corners and finding the right receivers to go with Kothman at TE. I would say there is no less than 6 kids that will be battling for the 3 wide out spots. Some of them very fast and good , just young.

Gone Fishing
05-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Argyle will have quite a few quality returning starters. A couple on the 0-line, a couple on the D-line, 2 good linebackers, and a couple of corners. Also have a very good reciever and rb that played lots of minutes last year, and of course we have Sadler and our kicker Hedland. Not a bad group, and that don't even count a bunch that subbed or played special teams all last year. Heck most of em played at least a full quarter each game(the subs). Now worries maties, Argyle will probably go D1, which I see as a definite advantage for us in Region 2 this upcoming year.

Hey Regal, I remember reading that Sadler will switch to QB. Is that right? Was he a QB in Jr high and freshman or is he a best athlete on the field and we're going to make him a QB type QB? In the state game during warm up yall had a back up QB warming up because Anue was sick, was he a senior? If Sadler is a true receiver isn't it better to keep him there. Just wondering.

Manso/V8
05-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Many folks though, don't know how our great coaches coach. Many "non starters" played a boat load last year. So many underclassmen players rotating in, especially on D. Wimberley's front 8 on D is loaded. O line will be very good, running backs very very good

It feels good to be recognized in the rankings, but it feels better for a team to improve and prove themselves more worthy with each game and climb up the rankings.
Good/great coaches and programs make good/great football players out of ordinary kids, and those underclassman are all a year older, are more experienced, and they bigger, faster, and stronger than last year. It sounds like WT shows a lot of promise coming in to the season and yall might be better off flying under the radar early on. I think a big impact will be the attitude of the players, team chemistry, and the emergence of quality team leaders. I know those will be a big factor for us. I am sure Nelms knows how to tweak this, but coming off a SC and repeating, or even having a deep run is a big challenge.......unless the booster club has convinced some other guys with all-state sons to open up a sub shops and pizza shops nearby (LOL - just kidding!).

buckeyebob
05-25-2012, 05:23 AM
I think this will be alot of the discussion in Sideline to Sideline next week.

Really cheap plug.

Lion70
05-25-2012, 05:27 AM
Really cheap plug.

can't blame him lol.

firstdown
05-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Hey Regal, I remember reading that Sadler will switch to QB. Is that right? Was he a QB in Jr high and freshman or is he a best athlete on the field and we're going to make him a QB type QB? In the state game during warm up yall had a back up QB warming up because Anue was sick, was he a senior? If Sadler is a true receiver isn't it better to keep him there. Just wondering.

First the back up last year was a senior, also I believe that Ian was the best athlete on the field. Sadler has played qb in the lower levels, if not for Aune it would have been his job last year.

regaleagle
05-25-2012, 08:15 AM
No, Sadler has some qb experience from Jr. High and JV as a freshman. He's also a top soccer player for club teams in the Metroplex growing up, so that explains his abilities to switch gears, stop on a dime, be very comfortable in traffic, and possess the quickness he does. He played from the wildcat and threw a few times last year when the game was in hand just to give him some reps. He will be a junior.

Gone Fishing
05-25-2012, 08:31 AM
First the back up last year was a senior, also I believe that Ian was the best athlete on the field. Sadler has played qb in the lower levels, if not for Aune it would have been his job last year.

No, Sadler has some qb experience from Jr. High and JV as a freshman. He's also a top soccer player for club teams in the Metroplex growing up, so that explains his abilities to switch gears, stop on a dime, be very comfortable in traffic, and possess the quickness he does. He played from the wildcat and threw a few times last year when the game was in hand just to give him some reps. He will be a junior.

He sounds very good, thats why I ask. Should be fun to follow how he does as well as WT have new Qb also to follow how he does. Its such a different speed at varsity level than JV or Freshman and it takes even the good ones a few games to get oriented. Best of luck to him. I felt double bad when he got hurt at the state game!

Gone Fishing
05-25-2012, 08:55 AM
[Q.unless the booster club has convinced some other guys with all-state sons to open up a sub shops and pizza shops nearby (LOL - just kidding!).

Thats OK Manso, no new news. B Lambert was good and all, but its the little brother thats the real deal and might be all state someday. He's only a soph (approx 6' 190 lbs) and plays RB and LB and is one of the "young players" that I have mentioned before that will contribute big time for WT.

regaleagle
05-25-2012, 06:10 PM
So what's the name of the new upcoming Texan qb, Gone Fishing? Is he gonna be a junior or a soph? Tell us about him and what his attributes are.

Gone Fishing
05-25-2012, 07:24 PM
So what's the name of the new upcoming Texan qb, Gone Fishing? Is he gonna be a junior or a soph? Tell us about him and what his attributes are.

He is a Senior, Reed Jones. He was the starting safety last year and the back up QB, and played some at all 3 wide out spots. When Lambert moved here from Aledo two years ago Jones was a soph and Lambert (Jr then) beat out the Senior QB we had, they kept Jones on JV playing QB and Safety till the playoffs that year. (smart thing to do) If Brady didn't move here he would have been the quarterback last year and maybe even the year before. He's football fast and has a real quick release and accurate hard throw. He came up through Nelms offensive system and knows it very well. Good athlete, hard worker, great kid. Played all sports growing up here until after his freshman year he went football only, and track. I remember his JV year he was averaging 3 or 4 TDs a game throwing and rushing. One game he had 7. I think he is 6'1 170. He still doesnt have varsity experience except a little mop up time last year, so he will have a lot of weight on his shoulders early on. If I was betting though, I would say he will do good or great by district time.

Manso/V8
05-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Coming up in the Nelms system is a good thing. Yall run a lot of spread, right?

Gone Fishing
05-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Coming up in the Nelms system is a good thing. Yall run a lot of spread, right?

Yes, starting in 7th grade. No huddle, shot gun , 3 or 4 receivers. We went under center some last year but not that much. We throw and run about 50 - 50. Nelms and his staff is the perfect definition of Football PROGRAM. What I always thought was neat is He is at every home Thursday night game watching the 7th or 8th grade A and B teams play and already knows those kids by the time they are 9th graders.

toddg
05-26-2012, 06:26 AM
I don't think Argyle should be ranked any higher than Wimberley, but they probably will be. CH and Alvarado might be top 5 or close. Wimberley won't get any love because on paper they lost so many seniors, but some of us Texan folk know whats being reloaded so they really might be very good again. They will have to count on a couple of really young players though. The best I can come up with is 3 starting returners on offense and 5 on defense (6 if safety wasn't moving over to QB)

I don't know much about CH and Alvarado. If you know let us know.....

i doubt Alvarado will be on any of those "so called" experts preseason top 10..simply for the fact that the indians graduated a lot of defensive starters this year..what they dont know is we had numerous sophs see alot of playing time on the Dline rotation, LBs and in the secondary..not to mention some very good sophs from an outstanding JV team coming up more than capable of filling some of those shoes..and a few frosh ready to make an impact as sophs this year..we may be even better offensively..QB will be in his third year as the starter along with a third year starting center to go with a very experianced Oline, including both of the TEs...RB is set with cobra's son returning and poised for his break out year as the #1..all in all the Indians will be fine this year and should be crescendoing as the season and playoffs progress..im realistic, and do not have blinders on..it wont be easy..it never is..this program has come a long way since coach Dixon took over..and has improved every year he has been here..i do not see that trend changing any time soon.

Tejastrue
05-26-2012, 10:33 PM
i doubt Alvarado will be on any of those "so called" experts preseason top 10..simply for the fact that the indians graduated a lot of defensive starters this year..what they dont know is we had numerous sophs see alot of playing time on the Dline rotation, LBs and in the secondary..not to mention some very good sophs from an outstanding JV team coming up more than capable of filling some of those shoes..and a few frosh ready to make an impact as sophs this year..we may be even better offensively..QB will be in his third year as the starter along with a third year starting center to go with a very experianced Oline, including both of the TEs...RB is set with cobra's son returning and poised for his break out year as the #1..all in all the Indians will be fine this year and should be crescendoing as the season and playoffs progress..im realistic, and do not have blinders on..it wont be easy..it never is..this program has come a long way since coach Dixon took over..and has improved every year he has been here..i do not see that trend changing any time soon.

I think it's safe to say that the more successful programs have similar stories when losing a lot to graduation.. The fun part is watching it all play out.

Tejastrue
05-26-2012, 11:07 PM
What I mean "on Paper" is not many returners that started. Who started the game at a lot of positions for Wimberley is not that big of a deal to us because the way Nelms and Smith rotate players and how many formations we run. An example of what I say is Colby Kelly could be considered not a returning starter on offense, but you and I know not only is he a starter in our eyes he may be the best running back we have had since Buse. (but Wilson was the "starter") Same example could be made with King on defense, Guidery and Kothman were the "starters" on DL, but King might be the best defensive tackle we have had in a while and rotated in all year and a lot more in the playoffs all game long and made key plays against CS and Argyle. A few other positions, the same thing. Thats why I think we will not get rated as good or high as we really are, they put so much into returning starters when its hard to tell for Wimberley sometimes who is the starters returning.

I think the QB is much faster on the roll outs and can throw real well on the run. Quick release on throws, faster pace on plays. I think you will see Jones checking and going to the 2nd 3rd or even 4th receiver than before. Lambert might have been more of a take off up the middle type runner (195 lbs) where Jones might be a more take off outside type runner (170 lbs) especially on roll out pass plays. Kelly, Morris and Jones have been playing together since 7th grade, their timing and smoothness running plays and screens will show big time.

I still think the big keys are finding the right safety to take Jones place and the right DBs at the corners and finding the right receivers to go with Kothman at TE. I would say there is no less than 6 kids that will be battling for the 3 wide out spots. Some of them very fast and good , just young.

Thanks GF..you know I have been high on Kelly for a while now and King caught my eye early last year against Giddings. I can appreciate your positive outlook for the season and the more I hear the more I look forward to another successful season. You beat me to the Lambert sibling response to Manso. We do love our pizza down here. That Brewster's pizza is pretty good also! Some NFL bloodline running thru that establishment. Lol..

Gone Fishing
05-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks GF..you know I have been high on Kelly for a while now and King caught my eye early last year against Giddings. I can appreciate your positive outlook for the season and the more I hear the more I look forward to another successful season. You beat me to the Lambert sibling response to Manso. We do love our pizza down here. That Brewster's pizza is pretty good also! Some NFL bloodline running thru that establishment. Lol..

Yea, I'm ready to see it start developing this summer. The 7 on 7 league we are going to play in starts June 4th. We are in a different league this year. We will be playing with Dripping Springs, Westlake, Bowie and Travis is what I heard. We will find out real quick who can step up against 4 and 5A teams. The state qualifiers will be June 16 and 23. A Blink of an eye and two a days will be here.

CTS
05-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Until Chapel Hill and Wimberly are out....they get my respect. To be the man you have to beat the man.

Gone Fishing
05-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Until Chapel Hill and Wimberly are out....they get my respect. To be the man you have to beat the man.

Thanks CTS. You officially have my respect for saying that. Even at 34 post... Lol

toddg
05-29-2012, 07:30 PM
if you dont love Wimberley..you aint Texan!

Gone Fishing
05-29-2012, 09:29 PM

Good point. Its a cool place. Football and Volleyball thats it....lol

buckeyebob
05-30-2012, 05:15 AM

Don't forget that CH has moved to Dist. 16...could be very ugly for them.

coog4eva
05-30-2012, 09:09 AM

Gotta love it.... thats my last name.....

Gone Fishing
05-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Gotta love it.... thats my last name.....

Thats cool too Coog. Is it spelled with an ey at the end. They misspelled Wimberley on one of the state trophies this year and had to re do the plates. Maybe you ought to move over here with such a fine last name. Got any kids that play? Lol....

CTS
05-31-2012, 02:02 PM
If he's got kids that can play they need to stay in LM! Hopefully you guys can visit at the site of the Semi-Final game in December. lol

coog4eva
05-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Thats cool too Coog. Is it spelled with an ey at the end. They misspelled Wimberley on one of the state trophies this year and had to re do the plates. Maybe you ought to move over here with such a fine last name. Got any kids that play? Lol....

Its spelled "ly" but weird thing is I went to a reunion once and they were spelling it "ley" go figure. As far as kids......the son hasnt been conceived....yet...... but my daughter will definitely be a force on the track.....

coog4eva
05-31-2012, 04:32 PM
If he's got kids that can play they need to stay in LM! Hopefully you guys can visit at the site of the Semi-Final game in December. lol

You are so right.....I see my former LM school mates with kids at Manvel and Pearland Dawson and I have to shake my head......it would be very difficult for me to suppport any school other than LM.....but I know the day may come.....