PDA

View Full Version : Carthage to get largest scoreboard in Texas

ctown81
05-22-2012, 05:22 PM
http://pineywoodssports.com/football/004060-carthage-add-state-art-indoor-facility-scoreboard

orange machine
05-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Thats pretty cool, but I dont know if its bigger than Allens new scoreboard that thing is massive. Either way thats great for yall congratulations.

orange machine
05-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Here is a pic of Allen's new scoreboard. I dont know how big the scoreboard is, but this picture doesnt do it justice when you see it in person it looks huge.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=allens+new+scoreboard+in+stadium&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS455&biw=1600&bih=745&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=nsDQv_eCjAg09M:&imgrefurl=http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/allen/headlines/20120327-allen-football-stadium-on-track-to-be-done-in-july.ece%3Fssimg%3D512013&docid=vhUqf8HBeJksMM&imgurl=http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20120325-545865_316977788357620_196121790443221_758476_9638 6322_n.jpg.ece/BINARY/w620x413/545865_316977788357620_196121790443221_758476_9638 6322_n.jpg&w=620&h=413&ei=qyC8T7OWEsaA2QX1le2QDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=193&vpy=445&dur=405&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=111&ty=104&sig=117155669140372145392&page=3&tbnh=169&tbnw=225&start=44&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:44,i:174

ctown81
05-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Here is a pic of Allen's new scoreboard. I dont know how big the scoreboard is, but this picture doesnt do it justice when you see it in person it looks huge.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=allens+new+scoreboard+in+stadium&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS455&biw=1600&bih=745&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=nsDQv_eCjAg09M:&imgrefurl=http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/allen/headlines/20120327-allen-football-stadium-on-track-to-be-done-in-july.ece%3Fssimg%3D512013&docid=vhUqf8HBeJksMM&imgurl=http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20120325-545865_316977788357620_196121790443221_758476_9638 6322_n.jpg.ece/BINARY/w620x413/545865_316977788357620_196121790443221_758476_9638 6322_n.jpg&w=620&h=413&ei=qyC8T7OWEsaA2QX1le2QDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=193&vpy=445&dur=405&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=111&ty=104&sig=117155669140372145392&page=3&tbnh=169&tbnw=225&start=44&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:44,i:174

Wow now that is nice. The pic doesn't do it any justice aqt all.

ctown81
05-22-2012, 06:49 PM
I misread the story. It will supposedly have the largest video screen no scoreboard.

defense51
05-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Sounds sweet!!!

coach
05-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Did that #15 go play anywhere? He was damn good

cowboyandchrist
05-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Did that #15 go play anywhere? He was damn good
He went to ETBU in Marshall, Texas.

Manso/V8
05-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Yall planning on buying any new books with some of that money?

SHSBulldog00
05-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Impressive

buckeyebob
05-23-2012, 06:08 AM
A bunch of Richy Richs...& we are so poor...now, if they had a team that could beat the Buxs, they too would be Bad A$$...

waterboy
05-23-2012, 07:15 AM
That scoreboard will be huge, but I don't think it's nearly as big as the Jumbotron at the Rose. That thing is at least 65' wide. It's the biggest one I've seen other than the ones at Cowboys Stadium.

Roughneck93
05-23-2012, 07:16 AM
http://pineywoodssports.com/football/004060-carthage-add-state-art-indoor-facility-scoreboard

Wow, that's going to be nice.

ctown81
05-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Yall planning on buying any new books with some of that money?

Fortunately Carthage has always put education first. Very beautiful campus, top quality books and educational equipment. This is the first voluntary focus on sports facilities I've ever seen in Carthage. We were forced to build Bulldog stadium when our old stadium was condemned during the season.

ctown81
05-23-2012, 09:38 AM
A bunch of Richy Richs...& we are so poor...now, if they had a team that could beat the Buxs, they too would be Bad A$$...

I remember when you guys built your stadium back in the late 90's. It was the nicest I've seen up to that point. Give it 10 more years and Bulldog stadium will be behind the times. Mark my word. As crazy as it sounds, some high will build a mini dome as their home field within the next 15 years.

waterboy
05-23-2012, 10:14 AM
I remember when you guys built your stadium back in the late 90's. It was the nicest I've seen up to that point. Give it 10 more years and Bulldog stadium will be behind the times. Mark my word. As crazy as it sounds, some high will build a mini dome as their home field within the next 15 years.
You can't be talking about Buckeye Stadium. Buckeye Stadium was built in 1961-62, with the first season played in '62 in the stadium. There's been a lot of renovations to it, but it's still old. There are more renovations in the works such as expanded homeside seating and pressbox upgrades. I think the pressbox will probably be rebuilt, but I'm not completely sure of that one. It'll probably have an elevator.........:D

ctown81
05-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Guess I was wrong. It was a very nice stadium back then though. Maybe our standards were so low bc of the crappy field we used to have.

waterboy
05-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Guess I was wrong. It was a very nice stadium back then though. Maybe our standards were so low bc of the crappy field we used to have.
Yep, that was one crappy stadium y'all had before. Now y'all have one to be proud of for sure. Buckeye Stadium is not a bad place, and it definitely doesn't look as old as it is due to all the new renovations. It certainly has a LOT of tradition, though. I would like for Gilmer to build a new stadium one day, though, and I have a lot of ideas for it. Build it in a bowl formation behind Bruce JH school, you know...kind of in that valley between the school and the mountains, and call it the "Yam Bowl". I've always thought that would be one COOL spot for a bowl-type stadium that would seat at least 7500.:) Of course, a street or two would have to be added for accessing the stadium because I wouldn't want one entry and exit only.

Aesculus gilmus
05-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Yep, that was one crappy stadium y'all had before. Now y'all have one to be proud of for sure. Buckeye Stadium is not a bad place, and it definitely doesn't look as old as it is due to all the new renovations. It certainly has a LOT of tradition, though. I would like for Gilmer to build a new stadium one day, though, and I have a lot of ideas for it. Build it in a bowl formation behind Bruce JH school, you know...kind of in that valley between the school and the mountains, and call it the "Yam Bowl". I've always thought that would be one COOL spot for a bowl-type stadium that would seat at least 7500.:) Of course, a street or two would have to be added for accessing the stadium because I wouldn't want one entry and exit only.

There's another problem with this that you may not have thought of. That VERY NICE $2.6 million (IIRC) Field House built only five years ago is going to be hard to move out to Bruce. I like the concept otherwise. Incidentally, I always laugh when I see references to our "mountains." I had a cousin who lived in Golden, Colorado, who on a visit here once heard us refer to Barnwell Mountain, Simpson Mountain, McDonald Mountain, etc. He was laughing so hard he was crying.

Here is proof, though, that they really are called mountains. The Barnwell Mountain "range" (can't help laughing even as I type that) is a few miles north of the ones waterboy is talking about. Its peak elevation, IIRC, is a whopping 634 feet above sea level.

http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/index.php

The highest point in Upshur County, though, is actually pretty close to where Buckeye Stadium is now. You can see it in the distance to the southwest if you are high enough up in the stands. It's called Underwood Mountain, elevation 685.

waterboy
05-23-2012, 12:33 PM
There's another problem with this that you may not have thought of. That VERY NICE $2.6 million (IIRC) Field House built only five years ago is going to be hard to move out to Bruce. I like the concept otherwise. Incidentally, I always laugh when I see references to our "mountains." I had a cousin who lived in Golden, Colorado, who on a visit here once heard us refer to Barnwell Mountain, Simpson Mountain, McDonald Mountain, etc. He was laughing so hard he was crying.

Here is proof, though, that they really are called mountains. The Barnwell Mountain "range" (can't help laughing even as I type that) is a few miles north of the ones waterboy is talking about. Its peak elevation, IIRC, is a whopping 634 feet above sea level.

The highest point in Upshur County, though, is actually pretty close to where Buckeye Stadium is now. You can see it in the distance to the southwest if you are high enough up in the stands. It's called Underwood Mountain, elevation 685.
Yeah, I thought about that new field house, too. A new stadium won't be built anytime soon anyway, and by the time one is it might be old and need updating, but you have to admit that would be one cool spot for a state-of-the-art bowl-type stadium with it's picturesque surroundings.

Yeah, I know they are not "mountains" per se, but they've always been called that. How about big hills? Is that better? They are pretty cool looking nonetheless. And speaking of Underwood Mountain, is that the one just to the southwest of town off Appletree Road, or it the one off Ash Road? If it's the one off Appletree, I used to ride four-wheelers up to the top of it. Fantastic view up there.

orange machine
05-23-2012, 01:24 PM
yall can always be like Prosper they have two indoor practice facilties.

Aesculus gilmus
05-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I thought about that new field house, too. A new stadium won't be built anytime soon anyway, and by the time one is it might be old and need updating, but you have to admit that would be one cool spot for a state-of-the-art bowl-type stadium with it's picturesque surroundings.

Yeah, I know they are not "mountains" per se, but they've always been called that. How about big hills? Is that better? They are pretty cool looking nonetheless. And speaking of Underwood Mountain, is that the one just to the southwest of town off Appletree Road, or it the one off Ash Road? If it's the one off Appletree, I used to ride four-wheelers up to the top of it. Fantastic view up there.

Underwood Mountain is off Ash Road. Well, I've got no problem calling them mountains either. As we used to tell my cousin, they used to be a lot bigger before erosion wore them down and they are a lot older than the Rockies.

I found a topographic map from the UT library of all these majestic peaks of our county. These boundaries from the year 1960 are not right for Gilmer anymore, though. This has the high school being located outside the city limits.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/texas/txu-pclmaps-topo-tx-gilmer-1960.jpg

Well, congratulations to Carthage on the new board. I won't threadjack anymore after this post.

waterboy
05-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Underwood Mountain is off Ash Road. Well, I've got no problem calling them mountains either. As we used to tell my cousin, they used to be a lot bigger before erosion wore them down and they are a lot older than the Rockies.

I found a topographic map from the UT library of all these majestic peaks of our county. These boundaries from the year 1960 are not right for Gilmer anymore, though. This has the high school being located outside the city limits.

Well, congratulations to Carthage on the new board. I won't threadjack anymore after this post.
The sad part about that map is that I can actually remember when the city limit signs were at those spots. And Tullos Lake was always called Shattles Pond when I was a kid. That map also doesn't show the airport that sits on the southside of town. I remember when the airport was being built. The airport that my uncle always used before the new airport was about 2 or 3 miles north of town toward Bettie. If you look real hard, and know where to look, you can still see that runway out there.

ctown81
05-24-2012, 09:58 AM
That scoreboard will be huge, but I don't think it's nearly as big as the Jumbotron at the Rose. That thing is at least 65' wide. It's the biggest one I've seen other than the ones at Cowboys Stadium.

One thing you have to take into account is that Bulldog Stadium is MUCH smaller than Rose so the screen is going to look HUGE for that stadium.

Emerson1
05-24-2012, 10:06 AM
The screen is 65' wide, or the entire scoreboard?

orange machine
05-24-2012, 10:14 AM
This new video board is gonna be like the size of the Rangers new video board above the homerun porch.

ctown81
05-24-2012, 10:14 AM

He was just estimating. Rose is video screen is actually 16x44. Our scoreboard video screen will be 26x44 making it the largest in the state but that will probably only last a year or two.

orange machine
05-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Why do they want one so big dont get me wrong its nice and all, but thats a ton of money to spend when you can spend less and still have a nice size video board.

ctown81
05-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Why do they want one so big dont get me wrong its nice and all, but thats a ton of money to spend when you can spend less and still have a nice size video board.

That's actually a good question. If i were there I wouldn't have voted for one that large, but no complaints from me only because we're not lacking in the educational part. If our books were outdated,if our technology was behind or we were laying off teachers then I would have a huge issue.

waterboy
05-24-2012, 10:27 AM
It's ALL screen. It is huge! I've tried to find a picture of it, or an article showing its size, but haven't had any luck so far.

waterboy
05-24-2012, 10:29 AM
He was just estimating. Rose is video screen is actually 16x44. Our scoreboard video screen will be 26x44 making it the largest in the state but that will probably only last a year or two.
Where did you find that info? I certainly thought it was larger than that. That big of a screen at Bulldog Stadium will look HUGE in those surroundings! No doubt it will be booked up for playoff games in East Texas.

ctown81
05-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Where did you find that info? I certainly thought it was larger than that. That big of a screen at Bulldog Stadium will look HUGE in those surroundings! No doubt it will be booked up for playoff games in East Texas.

I found an old article in the Tyler paper. http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20090812/SPORTS05/908120303

Hopefully they use it to it's full potential. I have a feeling that may not be the case.

orange machine
05-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Holy cow thats gonna be a huge video board. When you look at the picture of the video board in Tyler then think 10 more feet high dang.

44INAROW
05-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Damn, we're just happy if the most of the lights work on ours :kiss:

buckeyebob
05-25-2012, 05:50 AM
You can't be talking about Buckeye Stadium. Buckeye Stadium was built in 1961-62, with the first season played in '62 in the stadium. There's been a lot of renovations to it, but it's still old. There are more renovations in the works such as expanded homeside seating and pressbox upgrades. I think the pressbox will probably be rebuilt, but I'm not completely sure of that one. It'll probably have an elevator.........:D

You sure about 61-62? I thought that '63 was the first year (my Soph.) was 1st played season...dressed out @ McClelland and made the trek to the new one. New pressbox w/ elevator and snack bar / restrooms underneath. Construction to start right after the Kilgore Game.

buckeyebob
05-25-2012, 06:01 AM

I thought Barnwell was the 2nd highest...highest being right behind the house...Ash Road / Apple Tree goes around it.

waterboy
05-25-2012, 07:25 AM
You sure about 61-62? I thought that '63 was the first year (my Soph.) was 1st played season...dressed out @ McClelland and made the trek to the new one. New pressbox w/ elevator and snack bar / restrooms underneath. Construction to start right after the Kilgore Game.
You could be right, especially if you're old enough to remember that.:D I could be a year off. I remember in elementary school we used to play on the old McClelland Field during recess, still had some bleachers there in '67.

oldtownag
05-25-2012, 08:35 AM
You could be right, especially if you're old enough to remember that.:D I could be a year off. I remember in elementary school we used to play on the old McClelland Field during recess, still had some bleachers there in '67.

Buckeyebob is old as dirt. However, his memory is only as good as he wants it to be. Seems he has forgotten about those A$$ whipping his beloved buxs took prior to the squeaker they won last year.

Gone Fishing
05-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Damn, we're just happy if the most of the lights work on ours :kiss:

Thats funny 44, that reminds me of Little League Games...

buckeyebob
05-29-2012, 05:42 AM

Actually, Ash is N & W & Appletree is S of Underwood. Despite what people from Co. say, it is a beautiful place...I am blessed to see it everyday.

buckeyebob
05-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Buckeyebob is old as dirt. However, his memory is only as good as he wants it to be. Seems he has forgotten about those A$$ whipping his beloved buxs took prior to the squeaker they won last year.

Those are all in the past & we finished it with a "W". We now must hold the banner high and administer those annual spankings to the likes of Henderson, Kilgore & J'ville for the Bulldogs...without a Jumbo-Tron or indoor training facility.

And I am not OLD and my mind is stiil sharp & brilliant...now of I can find my Depends.

Aesculus gilmus
05-29-2012, 06:21 AM
Actually, Ash is N & W & Appletree is S of Underwood. Despite what people from Co. say, it is a beautiful place...I am blessed to see it everyday.

Barnwell is not the second highest elevation. It's that hill at Latch (I'm sure you can see it from where you are) where there used to be a fire lookout tower (may still be there, for all I know). That one tops out at 680 feet. Interestingly, the topographers at one time calculated that one to be 705 feet. You'll see that elevation listed for it if you have an old-enough USGS map.

As you know, Barnwell Mountain used to be the site of one of the prettiest roadside parks in the state until the off-road vehicle coalition decided to make that entire area their private preserve.

The only times I've ever hiked over to Underwood Mountain (long ago when I was a teenager), I got there from Ash Road.

My now-deceased Colorado cousin (and perhaps being too close to the Coors headquarters in Golden was one of the reasons he's no longer with us) actually graduated from Gilmer High School. He went to college at the Colorado School of Mines and decided to stay up there.

Aesculus gilmus
05-29-2012, 06:49 AM
I tried to edit that, but my time has expired. I have found a newer map which adds two more feet to the hill at Latch, making it 682.

Here is that map:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/texas/txu-pclmaps-topo-tx-pritchett-1981.jpg

Here are two other quadrangles north and east of Gilmer (the Bettie and Coffeeville quadrangles) which encompass the Barnwell range:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/texas/txu-pclmaps-topo-tx-bettie-1960.jpg
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/texas/txu-pclmaps-topo-tx-coffeeville-1960.jpg

Incidentally, if you know the name of your quadrangle anywhere in Texas (and there's a way to look that up on that site), I'll bet you can find it in that collection:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/texas/c.html