PDA

View Full Version : HS Pitcher Strikes Out Five Batters in One Inning

ronwx5x
05-22-2012, 07:37 AM
I never even thought about how this would be possible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/minnesota-pitcher-sets-record-striking-5-one-inning-172319870.html

Phil C
05-22-2012, 10:22 AM
I still don't get it. If the pitcher drops the ball and the batter reaches first base he is not struck out. He is safe at first. He has three sticks against him but he is not out so I don't see how it is called a strike out. It is strike three but you're safe. :)

Phil C
05-22-2012, 10:26 AM
I still don't get it. If the pitcher drops the ball and the batter reaches first base he is not struck out. He is safe at first. He has three sticks against him but he is not out so I don't see how it is called a strike out. It is strike three but you're safe. :)

What I mean is that if you already have two outs and the bases are loaded and the batter hits the ball on a pop up fly in the infield that is caught for the third out and then they relay the ball to all the bases for three more outs you could say you had 6 outs that inning. That is the same principal to me. The inning was over immediately when the ball was caught for the third out and the others don't count.

GrTigers6
05-22-2012, 10:35 AM
I still don't get it. If the pitcher drops the ball and the batter reaches first base he is not struck out. He is safe at first. He has three sticks against him but he is not out so I don't see how it is called a strike out. It is strike three but you're safe. :)Its scored as a strike out with an error on the catcher

SHSBulldog00
05-22-2012, 10:55 AM
I never even thought about how this would be possible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/minnesota-pitcher-sets-record-striking-5-one-inning-172319870.html

See it all the time in ASA softball if the catcher can't squeeze the third strike. I hadn't seen it too much in baseball this year.

YTBulldogs
05-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Its scored as a strike out with an error on the catcher

Most times, it's really a wild pitch on the pitcher and not an error on the catcher. Most times in these cases, it's a curve in the dirt and the batter swings. Thus, a wild pitch charged to pitcher and not a pass ball on the catcher.

GrTigers6
05-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Most times, it's really a wild pitch on the pitcher and not an error on the catcher. Most times in these cases, it's a curve in the dirt and the batter swings. Thus, a wild pitch charged to pitcher and not a pass ball on the catcher.I meant in this case!:cool:

Phil C
05-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Its scored as a strike out with an error on the catcher

But it still ain't an out. :(

defense51
05-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Ive seen four k's in an inning many times but never five.

ronwx5x
05-22-2012, 06:22 PM
But it still ain't an out. :(

Phil, Phil! The pitcher did not drop the ball, the catcher did, on a third strike. In order for the batter to be out the catcher would have to tag the runner or throw him out at first. This the catcher did not (could not?) do.

Cam
05-25-2012, 10:10 AM
My 12 yr. old lefty struck out 4 last night in one inning....one was cause the catcher dropped the 3rd strike & didn't make the throw to 1st for some reason......

Phil C
05-25-2012, 10:26 AM
My 12 yr. old lefty struck out 4 last night in one inning....one was cause the catcher dropped the 3rd strike & didn't make the throw to 1st for some reason......

But how do you call a strike out when it ain't an out? I can see a Strike 3 but no out and safe at first.

GrTigers6
05-25-2012, 10:35 AM
But how do you call a strike out when it ain't an out? I can see a Strike 3 but no out and safe at first.Because years ago when the wrote the rules it states that it is scored as a strike out!:D

south texas
05-25-2012, 10:48 AM
i seen 14 K's in one inning in a softball game

Cam
05-25-2012, 11:38 AM
But how do you call a strike out when it ain't an out? I can see a Strike 3 but no out and safe at first.

Dangit Phil...I'll bet you've never been picked to serve on a jury! lol.......and, you're Mrs. don't dare start an argument with you!....here's the only way I see it: My boy worked his arse off to strike out those batters, and he was mighty proud......so, as far as I'm concerned, he got himself 4 strikeouts and a 4 out inning!...lol......