PDA

View Full Version : Making DVDs?

waterboy
05-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Does anybody know how to make DVDs on a computer that will play on a DVD player? I can burn DVDs but I can't get them to play on a standard DVD player. Anybody know why? I'm using DVD+Rs. Is there a specific format that I need to use? I guess I'm just a little technically challenged on some things, but this has me stumped. Any help out there in 3A land?

Txbroadcaster
05-21-2012, 11:09 AM
most DVD players dont support DVD+R

SintonFan
05-21-2012, 11:43 AM
most DVD players dont support DVD+R

Yep, go with DVD-R.
I use DVD Shrink 3.2 for making my backups. Remember to call these "backups" and not copies. Copies are illegal. ;)

Emerson1
05-21-2012, 02:27 PM
What is a DVD?

waterboy
05-21-2012, 03:24 PM
I will go buy some DVD-Rs and try them. I hope that works. Thanks. Any other suggestions? Something that will speed up the burning process? Editing?

waterboy
05-31-2012, 03:33 PM
The DVD-Rs didn't make a difference, but I did find something out. You have to convert the .mov files to .dvd files, and that there are free downloads available to do this. I've never been able to make DVDs that will play in a DVD player, but nobody has ever even mentioned this. Ima gonna give her a try.

LionFan72
05-31-2012, 11:57 PM
i use convertXto DVD, works great and is free, just google it.

waterboy
06-01-2012, 08:00 AM
i use convertXto DVD, works great and is free, just google it.
Will do. I was also told by somebody that there has to be a startup menu? Is that correct?

LionFan72
06-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Will do. I was also told by somebody that there has to be a startup menu? Is that correct?
ConvertXtoDVD does it all for you, easy to use.

Emerson1
06-03-2012, 12:14 AM

It doesn't have to. On my "backups" I eliminated the menus to free up space and didn't backup an of the extras.

And yes, there is a special file format that is used to make a playable DVD. It's been 3 years since I burned a DVD so I can't remember which program it was I used. When you rip a DVD it comes out in a file named VIDEO_TS that has everything it needs to play inside of it. I don't think any of them are actually named ".dvd".

waterboy
06-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Okay. I finally got it to work. It's kind of a pain, but I had to edit in Windows Live DVD Maker (because I needed an opening, and to edit a portion of the video out), import into ConvertXtoDVD, convert, then burn. It takes at least an hour to do it. I wish there was an easier way to do it. I did download another converter that was a LOT faster, but it was on my desktop and had no editing functions whatsoever. I have two computers, one a desktop, and one a laptop. The problem with the desktop is that I can't get the Windows Live DVD Maker to work, but the program works on the laptop. The desktop burns DVDs faster, but I have no editing functions on it.

Farmersfan
06-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Does anybody know how to make DVDs on a computer that will play on a DVD player? I can burn DVDs but I can't get them to play on a standard DVD player. Anybody know why? I'm using DVD+Rs. Is there a specific format that I need to use? I guess I'm just a little technically challenged on some things, but this has me stumped. Any help out there in 3A land?

If you have video on a computer that you want to watch on a DVD player why don't you just use a USB thumb drive. I just bought a DVD player with a front USB port brand new for 29.00 that plays every single format video that you can think of. I load movies on it a dozen at a time for my wife and then just delete them when she's done.............. Simple! I store all my video files on some external hard drives. I connect these external drives to the front USB ports on my Xbox and can search and watch any movie on the hard drive.

waterboy
06-11-2012, 10:45 AM
I have to have them on DVD because the cable companies require it. I understated the amount of time it takes. First the video is downloaded on my harddrive (about 3 mnutes, usually), then I open up Windows Live DVD Maker and import the video for editing (takes about an hour for the editing and converting), then I have to import to ConvertXtoDVD and it converts it again (45 minutes to an hour), then burn it to DVD (another 30 to 45 minutes), takes at least 2 to 2-1/2 hours altogether. Luckily, once I do the editing it pretty much does the rest on its own, so I don't have to just sit there while its doing it. It seems like there should be a much easier way, but that's all I've got at this point. It definitely works, though, and plays on any DVD player I've come across.