PDA

View Full Version : My Burnet-Gainesville thoughts

Matthew328
12-09-2003, 10:31 AM
I think Gainesville matches up quite well with Burnet...they have a bunch of speedy DB's who are capable of covering well..the key to stopping Burnet is doubling Shipley and HOPE that your other guys can cover Burnet's other recivers man on man..fortunatley for Burnet not many teams can even come close to doing that...BUT Gainesville is one of those teams..another key for Gainesville is they have got to be able to get to McGee WITHOUT blitzing..the Leps front 4 must be able to get to McGee...if they blitz..it'll be a long day because Burnet will eat that up..the run isn't that big of a problem with Burnet..I think against Burnet you try to slow the pass first then concentrate on the run...as far as Gainesville on offense..I am not sure the Leopards have the type of offense condusive to beating Burnet...Gainesville relies on the big play a lot...Terrius Purvey is a GREAT back..no question..but he seems to either get stopped for a loss or no gain..or bust a 50 or 60 yard run..if Gainesville wants to win I think ball control will be big...also Gainesville has a good QB who can run and throw...last year Burnet had big problems stopping the option against a speedy QB...I would try and do the same thing...that is a LOT to ask Gainesville to do..they are capable of pulling it off..but I'll take Burnet by 10

GreatBigBurnetFan
12-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the thoughts Matthew. It's good to have you back, you were missed. I hope school is taken care of now!
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

LowDownDawg
12-09-2003, 11:06 AM
I believe you are right on the matchup being relatively close. Each team with strengths trying to play against another's weakness. I have not seen GainESville play this year, so I am only going by what my friends have called to tell me about them. I do think the speed matchups will be key. I don't think that Shipley can be contained, hasn't been done yet. Burnet knows how to get him the ball no matter what. Whether it's from the backfield, in motion, or split out. Shipley will get his touches. Can't stop it, but you can try to contain it. I know the RB from GainESville is a quality back with speed. Teams that try to run laterally on Burnet don't have much success. Jasper had a great plan, to keep the clock moving, and pound the middle hoping to move the chains 3 downs at a time. It was working for a while. I am not sure the QB for the Leopards can make the throws against our DB's that he will have to make to be successful. I can only go by stats, but I think that it is a given that McGee is a better QB. Burnet was there last year, and the 3rd trip since 1991. GainESville is here for the first time since 1978. Two explosive teams and I am looking forward to a tremendous game. I do think Burnet will win, but I wouldn't be suprised if GainESville did. Good luck to both teams.

DogDoc
12-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Hey Mathew how is everything. I agree for the most part haven't seen Burnet this year, but I'm sure pass first is a good bet. They don't Patrick Miller this year and that has to hurt at least a little. The key is time if they have time they win. Gainsville is athletic everywhere, but pressure on the QB is the best way to stop Burnet. The RB from Gainesville was pretty good against Forney even after he hurt an ankle in the third quarter. The QB is an athlete, but not a great passer from the game I saw. The key to that was that he did not need to be great because the recievers went a got the ball. He just threw it up. Gaineville is definetly athletic enough to win. I hate to pick anyone, but the people in Burnet have to good to Corey and Everman for any of us not to go cheer them on. I'll be there rootin' for the Bulldogs.

Matthew328
12-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Gainesville does have a couple of kids that will go and get the ball! McBath and Berryman

vet93
12-09-2003, 11:56 AM
I wasn't at the game but didn't Wylie's sophomore qb throw for over 250 yards against Gainseville? Wylie has some good skill people, but I don't think that they are in the caliber of Shipley and McGee. I think that the key will be pressure from the front 7. If Gainseville can't pressure McGee, then it could be a long day for the leps.

oldengray1
12-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Does Gainesville's O line block downfield or mostly sideways? Seems like they dont push anyone over, just around. Doesn't take much of a hole for their talented runners to slide past for a big gain, especially with everyone in spread.

PAINTBALL
12-09-2003, 12:54 PM
DogDoc:
Hey Mathew how is everything. I agree for the most part haven't seen Burnet this year, but I'm sure pass first is a good bet. They don't Patrick Miller this year and that has to hurt at least a little. The key is time if they have time they win. Gainsville is athletic everywhere, but pressure on the QB is the best way to stop Burnet. The RB from Gainesville was pretty good against Forney even after he hurt an ankle in the third quarter. The QB is an athlete, but not a great passer from the game I saw. The key to that was that he did not need to be great because the recievers went a got the ball. He just threw it up. Gaineville is definetly athletic enough to win. I hate to pick anyone, but the people in Burnet have to good to Corey and Everman for any of us not to go cheer them on. I'll be there rootin' for the Bulldogs.In my opinion Levens has supplemented the Burnet offensive game plan this year a lot more then Patrick Miller last year. Both kids are good kids and I'm not going to go into each one's strenghts or weakness since they are just kids, but Leven's great hands is the most important difference. With him as a very reliable receiver as well as a very strong and fast running back so many more plays have become reliable.

kaorder1999
12-09-2003, 01:04 PM
burnet 28
G-Ville 14

Owen B
12-09-2003, 01:15 PM
That picture is just mean, kaorder99. (It's hilarious, though.)

Burnet '94
12-09-2003, 01:36 PM
It's also inaccurate. Mack has 2 Big 12 South Division Championship trophies & 3 bowl game trophies.

Nice try though.

pero chato
12-09-2003, 01:57 PM
Having just seen Gainesville play last week against Wylie, I was most impressed by the speed of their DBs. Our (Wylie's) receivers were caught from behind several times after getting open past the DBs. Our QB still passed for over 260 yards, but it could have been more if not for Gainesville's speed. That fact that our receivers were open and our QB had time to throw should be a point of concern for Gainesville. (Although I credit our O line for an outstanding job). I also thought the Gainesville QB did an excellent job with the short 10-20 yard passes and QB draws. I know Purvey was hurt (so was our RB) but he still rushed for just over 100 yards. If he's healthy this week, he'll be more of a factor. Haven't seen Burnet, but obviously they're solid all around. Should be an outstanding game between the best two 3A's in the state.

Old Cardinal
12-09-2003, 02:17 PM
I think that Gainesville has shown a little venerability to the pass; therefore, I think Burnet will win by 3 TDs. Gainesville is no powerhouse to play- like Waco Connally, Manor, or Jasper. I see Burnet ripe and hungry for a State Championship and they will not be denied this time. We will know in just a few days, whose predictions were accurate.

<small>[ December 09, 2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

KTJ
12-09-2003, 02:20 PM
are you saying connally, manor, and jasper are powerhouses and gainesville isn't?

Old Cardinal:
I think that Gainesville has shown a little venerability to the pass; therefore, I think Burnet will win by 3 TDs. Gainesville is no powerhouse to play- like Waco Connally, Manor, or Jasper. I see Burnet ripe and hungry for a State Championship and they will not be denied this time. We will know in just a few days, whose predictions were accurate.

Rabbit'93
12-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Old Cardinal:
I think that Gainesville has shown a little venerability to the pass; therefore, I think Burnet will win by 3 TDs. Gainesville is no powerhouse to play- like Waco Connally, Manor, or Jasper. I see Burnet ripe and hungry for a State Championship and they will not be denied this time. We will know in just a few days, whose predictions were accurate.I never knew Waco Connally and Manor were powerhouses?

MonkeyJoe
12-09-2003, 02:59 PM
my brain says Burnet...
my heart says Gainesville...

Keith7
12-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Old Cardinal:
I think that Gainesville has shown a little venerability to the pass; therefore, I think Burnet will win by 3 TDs. Gainesville is no powerhouse to play- like Waco Connally, Manor, or Jasper. I see Burnet ripe and hungry for a State Championship and they will not be denied this time. We will know in just a few days, whose predictions were accurate.If you havnt been on thie forum long, you'll tend to notice that people think Gainesville athletics is a fluke rather it be Football basketball track

STEAKHOUSE
12-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Hey Keith7,
Give me some insight on the O-line for Gainesville. Everyone is talking about the skill positions and who can score when and how but tell me what you know about the guys that make all that scoring happen. Size...stength....weakness.....

Keith7
12-09-2003, 03:19 PM
STEAKHOUSE:
Hey Keith7,
Give me some insight on the O-line for Gainesville. Everyone is talking about the skill positions and who can score when and how but tell me what you know about the guys that make all that scoring happen. Size...stength....weakness.....fairly small line, prolly average weight is around 210, their biggest assest is their speed and fundamentals, they have been coached well.. but even with all that our o-line is probobly our biggest weekness, but somehow they seem to get the job done though

LowDownDawg
12-09-2003, 03:21 PM
GainESville is a fluke, a freak of nature, an anomoly, all undefeated teams are, so include Burnet. Don't take it to heart Keith, you don't go 14-0 very often, no matter who you play. There are only 2 teams left in 3A who are undefeated, guess who they are, and only one will be after this weekend. There are a whole bunch of other teams not playing this week who wouldn't mind being called a fluke, if they had the chance to play for the brass ring. wink

STEAKHOUSE
12-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Thanks keith,
Sounds and looks like they have done something right. Being only 210llbs I'll bet they move well and can give people fits. Thanks for the info and good luck.

HotDawg89
12-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Everyone keeps asking me my thoughts on the game around home, and where I work. . . to be honest, I don't really know what to expect, but a good ballgame. I'm nervous- gosh, Gainesville didn't get to be 14-0 cause they are lacking anywhere. . .

I really hope Burnet wins, but best of luck to both teams. Play like there is no Sunday coming!

PAINTBALL
12-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Except for Reagan and Ingram, our offense has not seen a defense on film that has been used against them. There aren't even names for some of the defenses We have seen (Marlin's one down lineman and Wimberley's blitz everyone). Our coaching staff has adjusted to every defense. What a year, and hats off to our staff. I wonder what we will see this week.