PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 and SEC Champs to Play

Bullaholic
05-18-2012, 03:58 PM
The Big 12 and SEC champs will play (5) seasons, starting with the 2014 season:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Big-12-and-SEC-Conferences-announce-five-year-agreement-for-their-champs-to-meet-in-bowl-following-2014-season-051812

NastySlot
05-18-2012, 05:00 PM
The Big 12 and SEC champs will play (5) seasons, starting with the 2014 season:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Big-12-and-SEC-Conferences-announce-five-year-agreement-for-their-champs-to-meet-in-bowl-following-2014-season-051812

Ok before I read two things is this supposed to help lead to a playoff and didn t we get away from conference tie in s to bowls will this be different. To lazy to read and I m also about to hit the road for a ballgame....summary appreciated.

Z-RO
05-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Ok before I read two things is this supposed to help lead to a playoff and didnt we get away from conference tie in s to bowls will this be different. To lazy to read and I m also about to hit the road for a ballgame....summary appreciated.

It dang sure draws a line in the sand between the 4 power conferences with the Rose Bowl and presumably the Sugar Bowl. So yes I do think the does help in regards to a playoff system.

defense51
05-19-2012, 07:23 AM
I like

bigwood33
05-19-2012, 08:33 AM
When I heard this yesterday, I got excited. If you are a fan of any Big 12 team, or the Big 12 in general, you have to be excited. This is huge.

LionKing
05-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Will pretty much this is the start of the hammer hitting the nail in the coffin for the BCS as we know it, and probably the ACC and Big East will be relegated to 2nd tier leauges as Florida State and Clemson become Big 12 members (Georgia Tech and Notre Dame will be on the clock).

Txbroadcaster
05-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Big 12..goes from being in the grave to a power conference

regaleagle
05-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Yes, this suddenly puts the Big 12 in the driver's seat to expand the conference very quickly with new additions such as Florida State, or maybe even Notre Dame. Looks like Louisville may be the loser here, if teams like Fla. State and Notre Dame scramble to be included in Big 12 expansion. Not sure about Clemson, but if they also joined then Louisville or another team besides Notre Dame(Air Force??) would keep the number of teams even at 14. Who knows if this may not lead to super-conferences with additonal teams later joining say...4 major confererences across the nation. That would put teams like SMU, Houston, Tulsa, and Miami on the table to join the Big 14.

OldBison75
05-19-2012, 01:17 PM
There will be 4 conferences with 16 teams each. Conference championship games will be quarter finals. Semis will pit east vs south and north vs west at neutral bowls on New Years day. This will keep the SEC and Big "16" together and have Pac "16" and Big "16" together. National Champion will be two weeks later at a site that will be bid out to stadiums much like the Basketball Championship. NCAA will only have control over the lesser bowls.

The independents will disappear. Look for the NCAA to divide the current division 1 to have 64 teams in a championship division. And the rest in the bowl championship series. Those bowls will be decided by rankings at the end of the year and the bowl sponsors will have a bigger say in matchups.

regaleagle
05-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I disagree with your prediction OldBison. The NCAA will not divide the division to only 64 teams in the championship series because that would mean a tremendous loss of revenues not only at season's end, but also during each week of the season for many of the smaller conferences not included in the major 4. You need to leave the door open for these conferences in some form or fashion just like what is done for March Madness. Perhaps 128 teams if it could be worked out. That would ensure the continued revenue streams, and give the bowl games that are not included in the major playoff conferences a viable opportunity to continue sponsoring games at season's end that will have some meaning. To limit drastically the number of teams involved to a mere 64 would be the guillotine for many NCAA member schools that are not part of these conferences.

OldBison75
05-19-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't think they will be totally cut out. I think you will have the 64 team division in one National Championship Division and then a second level of 64 teams that will compete in a similar format for the lower tier conferences that will have it's own National Champion. There may be a future game that pits the two Champions against each other for a true National Champion, but that will be later on down the line in my opinion.