PDA

View Full Version : Not 3A baseball

NastySlot
05-18-2012, 08:46 AM
but this should be interesting:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/high_school_baseball/article/South-San-sues-to-delay-baseball-playoffs-3567339.php

AP Panther Fan
05-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Seems a bit ridiculous to me and a waste of taxpayer $$$.:rolleyes:

Sounds like South San blatantly ignored the pitching rule and won't accept defeat.

pancho villa
05-18-2012, 10:41 AM
That's BS a kid should be able to pitch all he wants! That is why "standaround" sucks!

yellaseeker
05-18-2012, 02:56 PM
That's BS a kid should be able to pitch all he wants! That is why "standaround" sucks!

Jealousy will get you nowhere pancho! You must have been a bench warmer in a short career. LoL!!! Everyone knows that baseball is one of the most technical sports there is. Not to say it's my favorite but i do appreciate a good game of BB. I really don't think you hate it that much, I think you just use it as an avenue to pester the crap out of people with thin skin. HaHa!!!

SHSBulldog00
05-18-2012, 03:04 PM
South San loses their appeal and SA Johnson will play series with CC Carroll beginning tonight.

neck_06
05-18-2012, 03:15 PM
First off, I had no idea that there was a "pitching limit" in high school baseball..

While I agree that 11 innings in one day is excessive, THIS ISN'T LITTLE LEAGUE. That game might be the last game that kid ever plays....the highlight of his athletic career, and his heroic effort is negated by a rule that shouldn't even be in play.

Again, I'm not saying that throwing 11 innings in a day is a smart thing to do.. But if the kid knows that he's not going to the next level (not sure this is the case, I'm just saying), and this is quite possibly his last hurrah as an athlete, LET HIM BE A HERO FOR HIS TEAM. Just another example of how American sports are getting soft.

GrTigers6
05-18-2012, 03:17 PM
First off, I had no idea that there was a "pitching limit" in high school baseball..

While I agree that 11 innings in one day is excessive, THIS ISN'T LITTLE LEAGUE. That game might be the last game that kid ever plays....the highlight of his athletic career, and his heroic effort is negated by a rule that shouldn't even be in play.

Again, I'm not saying that throwing 11 innings in a day is a smart thing to do.. But if the kid knows that he's not going to the next level (not sure this is the case, I'm just saying), and this is quite possibly his last hurrah as an athlete, LET HIM BE A HERO FOR HIS TEAM. Just another example of how American sports are getting soft.I have never seen in the rule book a pitching limit!
Sorry didnt see that it was in seperate games

NastySlot
05-18-2012, 03:37 PM

and kids should get to run as many events as they want....including 3200, 800 and 1600.

AP Panther Fan
05-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Again, I'm not saying that throwing 11 innings in a day is a smart thing to do...

Exactly the reason for the rule....regardless of what he plans to do after high school.

BwdLion_80
05-18-2012, 04:02 PM
I have never seen in the rule book a pitching limit!
Sorry didnt see that it was in seperate games

It is a UIL rule, not a NFHS rule!

neck_06
05-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Exactly the reason for the rule....regardless of what he plans to do after high school.

Ok, but riddle me this.. What if thru those 10 innings pitched he'd only thrown 100 pitches? I know it's not likely, but this is one of the main reasons using INNINGS as the determining factor of what's "too much" is ridiculous.

scrub c
05-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Thats too bad for that kid and that team...
I guess if you cant beat em, find a rule and use it against them.

AP Panther Fan
05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
ouch ....

http://www.caller.com/news/2012/may/19/carroll-takes-final-game-in-thrilling-fashion-to/?partner=RSS

pirate4state
05-21-2012, 12:34 PM
That's BS a kid should be able to pitch all he wants! That is why "standaround" sucks! I could have sworn there was a Pancho sighting in Victoria this weekend :thinking: :D :wave:

Matthew328
05-21-2012, 12:55 PM
It is a UIL rule, not a NFHS rule!

Of course the UIL manual says baseball playoff games are played by NFHS rules...lol

Matthew328
05-21-2012, 12:58 PM
The rule is a bad rule....so a kid can't pitch more than 11 innings in two seperate games but can pitch 15 in one game?

upper20
05-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Would much rather see a pitch count rule that is similar to the one adopted by LL (excluding "game" rest - days only). While this is not LL, there are very few kids that are going to tell their coach "no" if he wants them to go. Further, there are some coaches out there that are either clueless or are not looking out for their players' best interests. For instance, last year a 14/15 year-old playing JV threw 143 pitches in a game. He was not able to pitch for the rest of the year and his Dad said his arm hurt for months.

Matthew328
05-21-2012, 02:56 PM
I agree, a pitch count limit is more appropriate

bigwood33
05-21-2012, 04:21 PM
It's all about protecting kids from over zealous coaches. Of course folks should be able to use common sense in dealing with these issues but sometimes "common" sense isn't all that common. Pitch counts should be the measuring stick but you would need another official to keep them...you certainly can't count on the coaches and the official book keeper has enough to do already. Innings pitched is the easiest way to manage it.

pirate4state
05-22-2012, 09:12 AM
It's all about protecting kids from over zealous coaches. Of course folks should be able to use common sense in dealing with these issues but sometimes "common" sense isn't all that common. Pitch counts should be the measuring stick but you would need another official to keep them...you certainly can't count on the coaches and the official book keeper has enough to do already. Innings pitched is the easiest way to manage it.

If you use any of the new software available (i.e. gamechanger, Stat Trak, etc...) then keeping track of pitches is a breeze!