PDA

View Full Version : Moving South......maybe Hondo?

Old LB
05-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Taking a new position in the company in South Texas (Cotulla), been looking at possibly living in Hondo. Hondo looks to be a nice place, anybody out there know the pros and cons?

Gone Fishing
05-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Taking a new position in the company in South Texas (Cotulla), been looking at possibly living in Hondo. Hondo looks to be a nice place, anybody out there know the pros and cons?

great football tradition.

AP Panther Fan
05-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Devine appears to be about 30 minutes closer to Cotulla (still an hour drive) and their football mascot is a Warhorse! I've always liked that name...lol.:)

SHSBulldog00
05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Hondo has their own radio station 1460 AM http://www.kcwm.net/ which carries the Owl's sporting events

Not sure about Devine's 92.5 FM http://www.925thepatriot.com/main.html

NastySlot
05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Devine appears to be about 30 minutes closer to Cotulla (still an hour drive) and their football mascot is a Warhorse! I've always liked that name...lol.:)

mascot is the Warhorse if you re a boy athlete...and girl athletes are Arabians another cool name.

RiverRat19
05-18-2012, 01:13 PM
This picture should shed some light on how good it is there...

Phil C
05-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Hondo is only about 73 miles from Cotulla. Of extra interest is that in the 1945 western movie San Antonio with Errol Flynn during the first part of the movie he catches the stagecoach in Laredo to go to San Antonio. Cotulla is about halfway and they reach there near dusk and spend the night there. That night Errol Flynn gets in a gunfight and shoots a man just outside a saloon. The next day they leave for San Antonio where they arrive later in the day.

FrmSTx
05-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Hondo is a Farming/Bedroom Community (being 45 minutes from downtown SA). My sister lives just west of Hondo in D'Hanis. I have always liked that area. Everyone that I know from Devine, Hondo or D'Hanis always wants to move back to that area.

regaleagle
05-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Devine sounds simply devine. Hondo sounds like a western movie with John Wayne, or maybe a Marlon Brando western name. Devine could also refer to the fruit of the vine. So do you like wine better, or westerns??? Or do you watch westerns and drink wine at the same time?

Old LB
05-21-2012, 03:21 PM
The main reason I liked Hondo is the 30 minute drive to San Antonio and the 30 minute drive to Lake Medina and still being an hour from work. Even if you wanted to live around Cotulla everything has a waiting list or is over-priced. We have several people who commute from San Antonio daily but I prefer a little slower pace.

Reagleeagle, I'm not much on westerns or wine unless they start making Coors flavored wine.

Los Owls
05-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Well Goodluck in your decision...You will be WELCOMED in Owl town...Respect the "H"...:cool:

Manso/V8
05-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Hondo is only about 73 miles from Cotulla. Of extra interest is that in the 1945 western movie San Antonio with Errol Flynn during the first part of the movie he catches the stagecoach in Laredo to go to San Antonio. Cotulla is about halfway and they reach there near dusk and spend the night there. That night Errol Flynn gets in a gunfight and shoots a man just outside a saloon. The next day they leave for San Antonio where they arrive later in the day.

Aren't you gonna finish the story?

Cam
05-22-2012, 11:01 AM
There's something about the word "Cotulla" that kinda makes me crazy.......not sure why though.......:kiss:

BwdLion73
05-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Aren't you gonna finish the story?

They get to San Antonio where they do some shopping on the riverwalk, catch a Spurs game and shoot a few more people....yada yada yada...:cool:

Third
05-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Pearsall is just 30 minutes (less actually) up IH-35 from Cotulla. Housing is also a little high right now also but there's a new subdivision in the works bringing 233 new homes. There's also Pleasanton or Jourdanton but with this oil traffic, I wouldn't travel these county roads too often (take Hwy 85 to Cotulla). The accidents and fatality's are mounting.

Old LB
05-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Pearsall is just 30 minutes (less actually) up IH-35 from Cotulla. Housing is also a little high right now also but there's a new subdivision in the works bringing 233 new homes. There's also Pleasanton or Jourdanton but with this oil traffic, I wouldn't travel these county roads too often (take Hwy 85 to Cotulla). The accidents and fatality's are mounting.

My wife says okay to Hondo and we all know as long as she is happy we can all be at peace. :p

sotex
05-23-2012, 09:41 PM
My wife says okay to Hondo and we all know as long as she is happy we can all be at peace. :pAs the saying goes " Happy wife, Happy life". Hondo is a wonderful place to live. Quiet little town with a low crime rate and fairly low taxes. I've lived here most of my life and I love it.

Los Owls
05-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Well,hope you enjoy your stay in Hondo...Do you have family moving into Hondo ISD...Well,if you do i think they will love it here..Again,Welcome to Hondo...Small community,yall will enjoy it here..

Old LB
05-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Well,hope you enjoy your stay in Hondo...Do you have family moving into Hondo ISD...Well,if you do i think they will love it here..Again,Welcome to Hondo...Small community,yall will enjoy it here..

Well, I have two daughters but mom says they will stay and finish high school in Brownwood. Looks like her and I will relocate after that, just me and the ol'travel trailer til then. I am looking forward to the move though, Hondo does seem to be a nice place. Thanks for the information.

SintonFan
05-24-2012, 10:52 AM
The main reason I liked Hondo is the 30 minute drive to San Antonio and the 30 minute drive to Lake Medina and still being an hour from work. Even if you wanted to live around Cotulla everything has a waiting list or is over-priced. We have several people who commute from San Antonio daily but I prefer a little slower pace.

Reagleeagle, I'm not much on westerns or wine unless they start making Coors flavored wine.

lol
Medina Lake
Coors

you will fit in perfectly. ;)

VWG
05-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Must be oilfield related, because that area is booming right now.

Third
05-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Must be oilfield related, because that area is booming right now.

You should see Carrizo Springs, Cotulla, Three Rivers, Karnes City areas.