PDA

View Full Version : Celina Head Coach Butch Ford announces his retirement

bobcat1
05-15-2012, 04:19 PM
I have this from a very reliable source. He is one of the good guys and I personally will miss seeing him on the sidelines Butch, good luck fishing my friend! Maybe we better wet a hook someday.

orange machine
05-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Had a friend just call me and tell me about his retirement kinda crazy!!

gatordaze
05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Must be true, as I heard the same from an "insider". Big Bill the new HC and ??? the DC?

ctown81
05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Must be true, as I heard the same from an "insider". Big Bill the new HC and ??? the DC?

Will you guys miss a step with the new head coach?

orange machine
05-15-2012, 04:36 PM
I've been told Bill will be the head man.

orange machine
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Will you guys miss a step with the new head coach?
If Bill Elliot takes over not at all he has been coaching in Celina for the last 16 or 17 years and has been the assistant head coach for a long time. Bill has been the understudy of GA Moore and Butch Ford so he is well groomed.

ctown81
05-15-2012, 04:42 PM
If Bill Elliot takes over not at all he has been coaching in Celina for the last 16 or 17 years and has been the assistant head coach for a long time. Bill has been the understudy of GA Moore and Butch Ford so he is well groomed.

That's good. Whether i like to admit it or not, you guys are the Notre Dame of 3A football. It's ALWAYS more exciting when you guys field a good team that can go deep in the playoffs.

3 and out
05-15-2012, 04:54 PM
!!!!!!!!!

orange machine
05-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Butch could coach some defense that's for sure. It will be tough to replace a great defensive minded coach like him.

Txbroadcaster
05-15-2012, 05:03 PM
This has been a rumor since football season that it would either happen this year or next...some felt he might try for one more run then bow out.

bobcat1
05-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Butch could coach some defense that's for sure. It will be tough to replace a great defensive minded coach like him. Could be Aaron Ford.

orange machine
05-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Could be Aaron Ford.
I actually thought the same thing. Good news is this is not a major change just a slight transition.

Ernest T Bass
05-15-2012, 07:48 PM
It'll be Bill Elliot. He's been the "HC in Waiting". There's a reason that Ford waited until mid-May to make it official.

bolshavik
05-15-2012, 08:27 PM
A Texas Coaching Legend retires, To me he is a defensive genius.

bobcat1
05-15-2012, 09:10 PM
It'll be Bill Elliot. He's been the "HC in Waiting". There's a reason that Ford waited until mid-May to make it official.You are correct old wise sage.

bobcat1
05-15-2012, 09:12 PM
A Texas Coaching Legend retires, To me he is a defensive genius.Believe or not I totally agree with you. (That may never happen again.):thumbsup:

bolshavik
05-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Well bobcat1 let me give it another try. I think butch was the all time best asst coach/DC in the history of Tx football and was a great HC. However, The tandem of G.A./Butch is the greatest of all time, they were better together than apart and together they made each other better. Their likness will never be seen again.

bobcat1
05-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Well bobcat1 let me give it another try. I think butch was the all time best asst coach/DC in the history of Tx football and was a great HC. However, The tandem of G.A./Butch is the greatest of all time, they were better together than apart and together they made each other better. Their likness will never be seen again.I agree completely. Wonder what would happen if they teamed up again. Hmmm.....

Ernest T Bass
05-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Ironic that GA has now outlasted Butch.

OldNavy
05-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Does anyone have Coach Ford's record as a head coach? I know over his whole career, he has been part of a number of record setting teams. I will miss him and his keen defensive skills. He played a high risk, high reward type of defense, but did it so well it seemed low risk, high reward. I wish him great success in the future and am glad to have known him.

bigwood33
05-16-2012, 03:15 AM
Well bobcat1 let me give it another try. I think butch was the all time best asst coach/DC in the history of Tx football and was a great HC. However, The tandem of G.A./Butch is the greatest of all time, they were better together than apart and together they made each other better. Their likness will never be seen again.
That may be true but the coaching tandem of Gordon Wood and Morris Southall won 9 State Championships together and Coach Southall is the only assistant coach in the history of Texas High School football to be elected the president of the Texas High School Football Coaches Association and to be the HC of the THSFCA All Star Game. I sure don't know how you could objectively put one in front of the other.

orange machine
05-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Ironic that GA has now outlasted Butch.
I bet Butch called GA before he made his final decision and got his opinion.

BILLYFRED0000
05-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Well I got official notification today. I have followed Celina football for 20 some years and moved here 11 years ago. Hard to imagine not seeing Coach Ford stompin the sideline and workin the refs or teaching the defense in practice. I have watched him along time. Between G A and Butch I have seen the best coaching I have ever seen.

Bullaholic
05-16-2012, 01:41 PM
http://allenamerican.com/articles/2012/05/16/sports_update/6532.txt

MoveInDad
05-16-2012, 01:50 PM
http://allenamerican.com/articles/2012/05/16/sports_update/6532.txt
Ford compiled a 122-16 record at Celina, a winning percentage just behind G.A. Moore, who he spent the bulk of his coaching career alongside. Ford, then the team’s defensive coordinator, replaced Moore as the Bobcats head coach in 2002. Ford quickly carved out his own niche as he reached 100 wins faster than any head football coach in Texas history (113 games) despite the Bobcats moving up to Class 3A in his first season.

orange machine
05-16-2012, 03:24 PM
I think Celina should rename the football stadium to Ford Field.I know its sad for a lot of the Celina players and fans, but like Coach Ford said he is leaving the Bobcats in good hands. Coach Elliott is a great coach and the kids respect him as they do all the coaches. I dont see the Bobcats missing a beat because of the solid foundation Coach Ford has built.

gatordaze
05-16-2012, 03:26 PM
I think Celina should rename the football stadium to Ford Field.I know its sad for a lot of the Celina players and fans, but like Coach Ford said he is leaving the Bobcats in good hands. Coach Elliott is a great coach and the kids respect him as they do all the coaches. I dont see the Bobcats missing a beat because of the solid foundation Coach Ford has built.

That is the last thing Butch would want. I have never seen a coach so focused on team over the individual.

orange machine
05-16-2012, 03:29 PM
That is the last thing Butch would want. I have never seen a coach so focused on team over the individual.
That is true, but now that he has hung it up it makes it a little different.

LHPfactory
05-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Fords vacancy will be a tall order to fill....... In Celina they have been winning for 20+ years now, Im sure its a part of the culture and nothing less is allowed.

Old Tiger
05-16-2012, 04:28 PM
GA Moore Stadium

The field should be named Butch Ford Field.

orange machine
05-16-2012, 04:37 PM
GA Moore Stadium

There you go.

Old&Crusty
05-17-2012, 08:08 AM
GA Moore Stadium

I like this, but there are still some here that hold a grudge against GA for leaving the way he did. Perhaps some of those hard feelings have settled down.

Elliott has BIG shoes to feel and Celina is still a pretty small fish in the 3A pond. Stephenville comes to mind. I wish him and all the Bobcats the best.

gatordaze
05-17-2012, 08:18 AM
I like this, but there are still some here that hold a grudge against GA for leaving the way he did. Perhaps some of those hard feelings have settled down.

Elliott has BIG shoes to feel and Celina is still a pretty small fish in the 3A pond. Stephenville comes to mind. I wish him and all the Bobcats the best.

Celina will go D2 for the next 2 years! Stephenville D1. Celina will continue to be Celina! Congratulations to Coach Elliott

orange machine
05-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Celina will be fine like Gator says the offense will be the same and im sure the defense wont change. I heard last night from a very good source that Aaron Ford will probably be the defensive coordinator.

BILLYFRED0000
05-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Hey OM good to see you the other day at the docs office. I am not worried about the D at all. We have one of the best overall staffs around. And we have good talent. I just have a hard time not seeing Butch on the sidelines. I will get over it

orange machine
05-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Hey OM good to see you the other day at the docs office. I am not worried about the D at all. We have one of the best overall staffs around. And we have good talent. I just have a hard time not seeing Butch on the sidelines. I will get over it

Good to see you also. I got my test results back and they were all good so im excited. I dont think much will change either except I think the boys may be more intense espacially if Aaron takes over the defense.

orange machine
05-17-2012, 10:29 AM
http://www.kxii.com/sports/headlines/Ford_retires_in_Celina_Elliott_could_take_over_151 804245.html

Cam
05-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Well Coach Ford in Celina will surely be missed,
Opponents have hope they're pumpin' their fists.
But the Bobcat boys will just prepare and reload,
Orange flashes everywhere just seem to explode.
And opposing teams go home as usual pissed......:)